New Member of the SBI UI-team

• New Member of the SBI UI-team

Hi everyone,

I'm Mo and as of wednesday last week I am part of the dev-team for Albion Online here at Sandbox Interactive. Specifically, I joined the UI team as a User Interface Designer.
      Thought I'd use this section to introduce myself to you guys, our amazing players. I am super excited to be part of the Albion Online community!

I'm 30 years old, from Berlin, Germany and a passionate gamer and game dev. Otherwise, I love movies, music and travelling!

As I actually just started playing Albion Online recently, there's still many new things for me to discover and I'm absolutely loving it! So far I really enjoy the private island and open world farming, as my character is not yet geared enough to participate in the higher tier activities (gonna get there eventually :D )

Also, as a new User Interface Designer here, I am extremely interested in what feedback you guys have about the UI of the game. Please feel free to either post here directly in the Feedback & Suggestions section. I will be reading both!

Cheers to all of you,
      Mo
    • Hi Mo.

Could you give me some examples of UIs that you would ideally emulate?

In a constructive context, what do you think SBI has done right/wrong regarding their UI?

Not trying to re-do an interview, but I think this is one of SBI's biggest opportunities and I'd like to see what you have in store for us!

How would you feel about having a crafting pane, which would display material counts and location?
      IG:
      MARTLOCK: 123 T4 rocks
      LYMHURST:
      CAERLEON: ELEVEN SANDWICHES

Ideally, item types would be toggleable, so if I'm a main leather gatherer, I'd like to only see my leathers, or leathers/refined, etc.

I also recognize that several players may do this already via spreadsheet or total recall.
    • @MEATCUP

Ideally I wouldn't just emulate any UIs just because they work somewhere else. Its really about what works best for Albion Online and you guys, the players.

Generally, I think most of the UI Elements serve their destinctive purpose well. I am aware that there are some features that have recieved some negative/constructive feedback, most recently probably the Party Finder. We are working hard on incorporating your feedback!

If I understand you correctly, by the crafting pane you mean:

a UI Element that shows you which crafting materials you have in which chest/ location?

We would love to have this as a feature! Unfortunatly this is not as easy as one might think, as potentially you could have infinite chests on all cities/islands you have access to.

-Mo
    • My 3 cents:

1. Party/Raid HP interface needs to be more customisable. it's like literally moveable and that's it, I don't want to sound rude but its one of the worse I've had to deal with.

2. Buff/Debuff counter on target bar is no good. Is there some sort of limit? Sometimes debuffs can't be seen because there are many buffs/debuffs, or maybe im just dumb.

3. Add a search button in chests storage.

Lots of love and welcome! <3

The post was edited 3 times, last by DildoSwaggings ().

• How about a view that allows us to see where any owned items are located ala EvE's UI? Having to travel just to see what's in a chest is......

- Bar

P.S. when looking at an item in backpackinventory, the gui overlaps the inventory screen slightly, can you move it to the left so it's not blocking the inventory. Thx.

The post was edited 2 times, last by Barloch ().

• Can you please update the UI throughout Albion???

The entire game looks like a Developer from 1990 made it. We need a 2018 version.

Example: the Arena queue notification pops-up with a sound. But it is HIDDEN by my inventory tab, wtf???

Another example: the Arena queue I click once to join battle. Queue drops, then pops again. I click it again... and again... and again... and again...

"Sorry you didn't click the arena Queue in time, fuck you and your 20 minute wait, BUH BYE!!!"

Great designs SBI... I hope they're paying you a lot. You deserve 100k a year.
    • Theat wrote:

Also can you guys work on rotating the view of the game 360 degrees circular? I don't know if you have that kind of pull in the UI department though.

I know SBI has the capability since some gameplay videos are 3d-rotation.
      ^ this will never happen. It would add tremendously to the server load and is not conducive to mobile play.

- Bar
    • @DildoSwaggings

Thanks for the feedback! Will look into it and try to find some better solutions for the stated problems!
      And dont worry, you're not dumb :P . There is a limit on the buffs/debuffs that are shown. If more buffs/debuffs are currently applied than are able to be displayed you can find out via a mouseover.

@Barloch

Barloch wrote:

How about a view that allows us to see where any owned items are located ala EvE's UI? Having to travel just to see what's in a chest is......

- Bar

P.S. when looking at an item in backpackinventory, the gui overlaps the inventory screen slightly, can you move it to the left so it's not blocking the inventory. Thx.
      As stated, we would love to have this! We are trying to find a solution for this, but are very limited due to some technical restrictions with the way different map clusters work.

Also, I am not quite sure what you mean with the overlapping of Inventory and GUI. Providing a little bit of extra information (what HUD size and resolution are you playing on?) or posting a screenshot could help.

@Theat

Theat wrote:

Can you please update the UI throughout Albion???

The entire game looks like a Developer from 1990 made it. We need a 2018 version.

Example: the Arena queue notification pops-up with a sound. But it is HIDDEN by my inventory tab, wtf???

Another example: the Arena queue I click once to join battle. Queue drops, then pops again. I click it again... and again... and again... and again...

"Sorry you didn't click the arena Queue in time, fuck you and your 20 minute wait, BUH BYE!!!"

Great designs SBI... I hope they're paying you a lot. You deserve 100k a year.
      Thank you for the feedback! We will look into the issue with the arena queue!

- Mo