Fame Credit FAQ

    This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

    • Fame Credit FAQ

      Welcome to some light reading on fame credits!

      1. What are fame credits?
      Fame credits are a currency acquired from gaining combat fame for a mastery/specialization on the destiny board that is already maxed out.

      2. What is the purpose for fame credits and why should I care about them?
      Fame credits are used as a tool to help gain specialization or mastery at a MUCH FASTER RATE than "faming naturally".

      3. How?
      When you have an entire set of gear that is 100 specialization and 100 mastery you are more powerful than picking up a new weapon/armor with no specialization. That being said, your relative speed/fame earned will be higher and you will gain more fame, or, in this case, fame credits.

      To turn on fame credits, open the destiny board and click the checkmark at the top (just right of the middle of the page) that says "Auto-Respec" next to it. Keep in mind, you will only begin to earn fame credits once you are using a piece of gear that is already maxed out on the destiny board.

      NEVER TURN OFF AUTO-RESPEC. EVER.

      4. Great, why is it faster though?
      When you gain fame credits, they go into a pool of currency that you can spend on one thing at a time or spread them out across many things. Some things require much less fame credits than others. Before continuing, here is the breakdown of relative fame to fame credit conversion:

      Weapon mastery: 50%
      Head and footwear mastery: 12.5% (each)
      Chest armor mastery: 25%
      Offhand mastery: 2.5%

      Weapon spec: 50%
      Head and footwear spec: 12.5% (each)
      Chest armor spec: 25%
      Offhand spec: 2.5%

      Total: 200%
      Or with mainhand/offhand: 205%

      There is a respec fame tax of 20%, making all returns on fame credits cap out at a multiplier with a 2 hander at 1.6 or mainhand/offhand at 1.64.

      Example: 560 x 2 (for 100 spec + 2 hander) x 0.8 (respec loss) = 896 fame credits
      Example 2: 560 x 2.05 (for 100 spec main/off hand) x 0.8 (respec loss) = 918.4 fame credits

      5. Great. But it takes just as much fame to max out?

      Nope.

      Math time! If you were to max out an entire set naturally from 1-100 it takes 29.436 million fame (per item, all of which level at the same pace with no artifact specs [that's a whole other thing]).

      Let's say even with 100/100 (maxed out) we go at the same speed as no spec, just to keep it simple. We'll estimate the fame we earn on average at at 300k fame/hour in a fame farm it would take 98.12 hours to max out (non stop). Let's say you get 2.5 hours of that fame in per day + 100k of random fame (850k/day) - 34.6 days to max out a set. Not bad, honestly, even for natural.

      In that same time frame, with a fame credit set we would be getting 47.1mil fame credits even after the 20% fame credit net loss from respec (29.736mil*1.6=47.1mil).

      Taking a look at how many fame credits it takes to max out a whole set of gear:
      Weapon spec: 14718416 (fame credits required for 1-100 spec)
      Armor spec: 7350839 (fame credits for required 1-100 spec)
      Boot/helmet spec: 3679604 x2 (fame credits required for 1-100 spec)

      29436832 total fame credits. Leaving us with 17 million-ish more.

      **You can almost max out two sets of gear in the time it takes to max out one.**

      You can also use those credits to max out multiple weapons or armors as well.

      As a side note, you can use your maxed out gear to pump fame credits into an artifact spec to level it WAY faster than you ever could naturally.

      It takes a total of 88.31 million fame to max out artifact spec naturally. Going at the same pace as above (850k fame/day) it would take 103.9 days to max out an artifact spec. For weapons it only takes 44 mil fame credits, for chest armor, boots and headwear it's even less.

      In the time it takes to naturally fame artifact from 1-100, you can go 1-100 in a regular spec naturally and then use that set to get fame credits to max out artifact spec in less time than it took to level artifact spec naturally.

      - special thanks to Orleans for digging deeper on artifact spec!

      6. Ok, im sold, what's the downside?
      If you can consider this a downside: when you gain fame with auto-respec on, it costs (roughly, with 100/100 mastery and spec set on) .5 silver per fame earned to gain fame credits.

      So that 29436832 fame we earned in a month will end up costing roughly 15 mil to convert to credits. But, at a rate of saving almost 50% of your time, it is more than worth it.

      7. How do I choose what to fame up first to "100"?
      Easily one of the most debated topics in the game, I recommend healers (for easy group access for fame farming) or a strong solo build for killing large packs of monsters for efficient fame and loot.

      Or just ask global chat, I'm sure they have informed opinions! :D
    • There's an error in the math.

      Your assumption about how much fame it would take to naturally level from 1 mast/1 spec to 100/100 isn't correct.

      Yes, it takes 29.736mil to level an item from 0 to 100 spec. But after ~14.75mil fame, your Masteries will hit 100. Thus, for ~15mil of the fame, you'll be getting fame credits from your Masteries.

      It's faster to level your items naturally if you can fame at the same speed.
    • I think your math is a little skewed and painting a somewhat incorrect picture of how the fame credits work. While I do suggest that people turn on auto-respec if they have any nodes at 100/100 (provided they have the silver to afford it, as killing mobs will sometimes Cost you money even when picking up their silver), you are making it sounds like leveling using fame credits is fasting then leveling a weapon by itself which simply isn't the case.

      ** If you are looking to level a particular weapon, it is always more beneficial to use that physical weapon to gain fame than by using any other method. **

      If you have that item equipped, you will gain 100% of the fame from kills.
      If you used a different, maxed out item, and DO NOT have Auto-Respec turned on, you will gain 20% of the fame from kills (going towards fame credits).
      If you used a different, maxed out item, and HAVE Auto-Respec turned on, you will gain 80% of the fame from kills (going towards fame credits) but also at the cost of 0.5 silver per fame.


      For clarity sake as well, it is important to understand exactly how the fame credits work and how many credits you get per each node. For example:
      Using WEAPONS as an example:
      You kill a mob worth 1,000 fame.
      You will gain 400 fame credits. (the conversion rate on Fame-->>Credits is 0.4 for weapons).
      You then take those credits and put them into a different WEAPON node, you can add 800 fame to that node (conversion rate on Credits-->>Fame is 2.0 for weapons).
      As you can see, using this method you only convert 80% of the initial fame into the new weapon node.

      Now, you CAN use fame credits earned from a maxed out Armor node and use those credits to help level your Weapon out ... this is the real, true benefit of the fame credit system. However the conversion rate is even worse. Using the above example you would get 100-200 fame credits which could be used for 200-400 fame on your weapon.

      For a full list on all the conversion rates, see HERE
    • I'll work on creating a fame credits page for the Wiki.

      And yes, I believe @UnholyKiller is right in that it is still more efficient to fame the actual weapon itself versus a different weapon at 100/100 and using fame credits. You can still boost the weapon you're trying to level by using a full 100/100 armor set and sinking those fame credits back into the weapon though!
      AO Quick Reference Guide
      Discord: Grimhawke#9254


    • i googled alot but didnt understand, maybe u guys can help me :)

      if i got some masteries and specs around 80 each lets say

      weapon, helm, chest and boots

      in which should i use learning points?

      from what i read here, i should get combat fame as soon as possible

      so maybe i should use my LP to max boots and helmet spec to get the max on combat fame?
    • Good work. Too many players are oblivious to respeccing. They run around dissapointed that they can't PvE in their PvP set. So I'll support anything that spreads the word.

      It could use some formatting and tweaks here and there.

      For example the following quote isn't exhaustive:

      Bribe wrote:

      1. What are fame credits?

      Fame credits are a currency acquired from gaining combat fame for a mastery/specialization on the destiny board that is already maxed out.
      You can also get fame credits by manually removing levels on a node that isn't maxed. You don't need to have a node maxed to get fame credits.
      https://forum.albiononline.com/index.php/Thread/82954-Guide-What-order-to-level-items-in-to-get-the-most-specialization-for-your-time/
    • Xialin wrote:

      if i got some masteries and specs around 80 each lets say

      weapon, helm, chest and boots

      in which should i use learning points?
      I've got no complete understanding, but by my observation: best is to get head or boots to mastery 100, they need least fame, so you can start earning FC sooner. I'd follow by chest and last by weapon (not sure if you use offhand, this might mix it up a bit). This is from FC perspective only - my own opinion is that weapon is the most important to have maxed, then chest, then rest (as weapon gives you damage, chest hp and defenses, head/shoes a bit of hp + some regen).
    • ixxxo wrote:

      Xialin wrote:

      if i got some masteries and specs around 80 each lets say

      weapon, helm, chest and boots

      in which should i use learning points?
      I've got no complete understanding, but by my observation: best is to get head or boots to mastery 100, they need least fame, so you can start earning FC sooner. I'd follow by chest and last by weapon (not sure if you use offhand, this might mix it up a bit). This is from FC perspective only - my own opinion is that weapon is the most important to have maxed, then chest, then rest (as weapon gives you damage, chest hp and defenses, head/shoes a bit of hp + some regen).
      Its not as simple as that.

      Also, because you don't even need to be 100/100 in order to earn fame credits, you shouldn't waste LP on levelling up some item that you'll only use for fame farming.

      Just WEAR WHATEVER GIVES YOU FAME THE FASTEST. And use LP solely on your FF weapon, since higher IP on weapon translates into higher fame/hour. Unless you're a tank, in which case you should use LP on chestpiece.
      https://forum.albiononline.com/index.php/Thread/82954-Guide-What-order-to-level-items-in-to-get-the-most-specialization-for-your-time/
    • ixxxo wrote:

      Xialin wrote:

      if i got some masteries and specs around 80 each lets say

      weapon, helm, chest and boots

      in which should i use learning points?
      I've got no complete understanding, but by my observation: best is to get head or boots to mastery 100, they need least fame, so you can start earning FC sooner. I'd follow by chest and last by weapon (not sure if you use offhand, this might mix it up a bit). This is from FC perspective only - my own opinion is that weapon is the most important to have maxed, then chest, then rest (as weapon gives you damage, chest hp and defenses, head/shoes a bit of hp + some regen).
      with mastery do u mean inner or outer circle?
      ive heared inner is mastery but i got told not to put LP into the inner circle?
    • Xialin wrote:

      with mastery do u mean inner or outer circle?ive heared inner is mastery but i got told not to put LP into the inner circle?
      From what I know, the inner combat nodes are referred to as Mastery Nodes and the outermost nodes are called Specialization Nodes. You usually spend LP on the Specialization nodes because they require the most fame to level up.

      Edit: Respec, Overflow and Fame Credits by Lewpac22

      The post was edited 1 time, last by Evas_Flarelight: Added a link ().

    • Evas_Flarelight wrote:

      From what I know, the inner combat nodes are referred to as Mastery Nodes and the outermost nodes are called Specialization Nodes. You usually spend LP on the Specialization nodes because they require the most fame to level up.
      Yeah, this is how I (tried to) refer to them. If I have plentiful LP and weapon has important skill at mastery 70 let's say then I invest LP into mastery line too to certain extent. I consider specialization line to have highest impact to your performance though.
    • Stravanov wrote:

      Its not as simple as that.
      I am afraid it's not, I'd not mind if the process / information about it was streamlined (or just documented in detail) somehow.

      I believe different slots earn different amounts of fame credits but as long as I am not tight on LP I try to hit as many slots (both their mastery and specialization lines) to maximize on fame credit inflow. From this perspective, getting masteries to 100 is more universal as it let's you to use more variations of items from same line while still getting you additional advantage of raising specializations to get closer to 100/400 (example: leather boots to 100 will let you use assassin boots, royal boots, hunter boots, etc. while still earning fame credits).

      I am by no means stating this is best approach, yet it's good enough approach to work for me currently. If anybody is willing to give any hints how to improve on efficiency, I'd certainly be more than grateful.
    • ixxxo wrote:

      Stravanov wrote:

      Its not as simple as that.
      I am afraid it's not, I'd not mind if the process / information about it was streamlined (or just documented in detail) somehow.
      I believe different slots earn different amounts of fame credits but as long as I am not tight on LP I try to hit as many slots (both their mastery and specialization lines) to maximize on fame credit inflow. From this perspective, getting masteries to 100 is more universal as it let's you to use more variations of items from same line while still getting you additional advantage of raising specializations to get closer to 100/400 (example: leather boots to 100 will let you use assassin boots, royal boots, hunter boots, etc. while still earning fame credits).

      I am by no means stating this is best approach, yet it's good enough approach to work for me currently. If anybody is willing to give any hints how to improve on efficiency, I'd certainly be more than grateful.
      The best approach is always to only use LP on your weapon, since it allows you to farm fame faster.

      As already said, you don't need to be 100/100 to make fame credits.
      If you want to level up Assassin Jacket, you can put on a Cleric Robe (so you get more DPS), level it up to 10/100 and just move the fame to Assassin Jacket.

      Spending LP to get Cleric Robe to 100/100 is weird. You can spend LP on Cleric Robe, and then move that fame to Assassin Jacket, to convert your LP to fame. But you shouldn't do it to get Cleric Robe to 100/100 (unless you're doing it for IP so you can join HCE groups). But that's a different reason than the one you gave. You (and many others) seem to ignore the fact that you can earn fame credits even at 2/100.
      https://forum.albiononline.com/index.php/Thread/82954-Guide-What-order-to-level-items-in-to-get-the-most-specialization-for-your-time/
    • Stravanov wrote:

      Spending LP to get Cleric Robe to 100/100 is weird.
      I see your point, I was rather not taking this option into consideration. I would do what I could to avoid leveling item just for faming purposes. It might be more efficient way, no argueing about that, I just don't like the idea personally (and I believe it should not be needed by design, if it is - it's sort of fishy). Also, if I am not mistaken, there is fame loss (fame credits convert at 80% ratio so you lose 20% of fame we can say).

      My example: I am bow main - I decided to play warbow in solo / lowscale as cloth-leather-leather. Yet I need bow in cloth as well for 5v5 / ZvZ. Thus I need cloth-cloth-leather combination in addition. As such I am aiming at two chest lines to get potentialy to 100/400 which is unlucky but that's how bows are currently. Thus from my perspective, it's not a waste to get cleric (or mage) to 100/100 anyway.

      On the other hand, if I decided to use blazing with cloth-cloth-cloth just to maximize my faming potential to later invest earned fame credits into my ironclad tank with iron-iron-iron build... It's doable, I just prefer playing what I am trying to fame (and not be at fame conversion loss).

      Do you see major flaws in my reasoning?
    • ixxxo wrote:

      Stravanov wrote:

      Spending LP to get Cleric Robe to 100/100 is weird.
      I see your point, I was rather not taking this option into consideration. I would do what I could to avoid leveling item just for faming purposes. It might be more efficient way, no argueing about that, I just don't like the idea personally (and I believe it should not be needed by design, if it is - it's sort of fishy). Also, if I am not mistaken, there is fame loss (fame credits convert at 80% ratio so you lose 20% of fame we can say).
      My example: I am bow main - I decided to play warbow in solo / lowscale as cloth-leather-leather. Yet I need bow in cloth as well for 5v5 / ZvZ. Thus I need cloth-cloth-leather combination in addition. As such I am aiming at two chest lines to get potentialy to 100/400 which is unlucky but that's how bows are currently. Thus from my perspective, it's not a waste to get cleric (or mage) to 100/100 anyway.

      On the other hand, if I decided to use blazing with cloth-cloth-cloth just to maximize my faming potential to later invest earned fame credits into my ironclad tank with iron-iron-iron build... It's doable, I just prefer playing what I am trying to fame (and not be at fame conversion loss).

      Do you see major flaws in my reasoning?
      I don't see any major flaws.

      Your reasoning is just based on your special case.

      A player reading a guide based on your special case might not be in that special case. He might want to main Assassin Jacket and Iron-clad.

      If this player reads a guide based on your special case, it will make him think that he should spend LP on Cleric Robe and get it to 100/100 so he will get fame credits.

      If you're writing a general guide for fame credits (which we're trying to do here), it shouldn't be based on special cases like yours. Your special case should be treated in a subsection or something.

      I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm just saying what you're writing doesn't belong in a general guide about fame credits.
      https://forum.albiononline.com/index.php/Thread/82954-Guide-What-order-to-level-items-in-to-get-the-most-specialization-for-your-time/