Crystal Realm Battles - Share Your Feedback

• Crystal GvGs are interesting for sure and it's hard to determine their value till they come out and we see the effect that they have.

One problem I see though is the limiting of fighting people from different alliances only. As someone said earlier, if you dont fight then you shouldn't earn a reward. Although I only part agree with this it still stands that there are 3000 man alliances that own half of the black zone. So if they all queue with teams from all the territories that they own there is no possible way that there will be another team for them to fight against.

The huge alliances will queue up for crystal GvGs with every territory they own even if they dont have a good team because they know that there is a high chance of not finding an opponent and earning free loot.

As far as fixing it I do not see the problem in fighting your own alliance. It's a crystal GvG where
      1. You do not lose the territory if you lose and
      2. The cap is at 1000 so there is not super expensive gear that is being ran.

This is the one major problem I see with the concept but this is also just my opinion so take it as you will. I'm excited to see what crystal GvGs bring to the table just because seeing change in the game is always interesting.
    • Evoque wrote:

we are keeping the total season points available per season roughly the same. This is necessary to keep all siphoning energy prices and thresholds stable
      I'm wondering how this will exactly be done since the number of points given with the Crystal GvGs will be depending on the number of fights / shows. Currently the number of generated points / energy is almost fixed so there should be a difference in the end right?
      Can we have more details ? (i'll re-read the whole concept to make sure i'm not missing a point here)
    • Filledcake wrote:

Crystal GvGs are interesting for sure and it's hard to determine their value till they come out and we see the effect that they have.

One problem I see though is the limiting of fighting people from different alliances only. As someone said earlier, if you dont fight then you shouldn't earn a reward. Although I only part agree with this it still stands that there are 3000 man alliances that own half of the black zone. So if they all queue with teams from all the territories that they own there is no possible way that there will be another team for them to fight against.

The huge alliances will queue up for crystal GvGs with every territory they own even if they dont have a good team because they know that there is a high chance of not finding an opponent and earning free loot.

As far as fixing it I do not see the problem in fighting your own alliance. It's a crystal GvG where
      1. You do not lose the territory if you lose and
      2. The cap is at 1000 so there is not super expensive gear that is being ran.

This is the one major problem I see with the concept but this is also just my opinion so take it as you will. I'm excited to see what crystal GvGs bring to the table just because seeing change in the game is always interesting.
      I think this has a self balancing act.

Because you put shit teams in the que you are giving the enemy an opportunity to score easy points in the GvG season. The big alliance will need to put shit teams in the crystal just to maintain their gvg seasonal ranking because the territory points are cut in half.

The loot itself is probably pretty shit if you don't actually win vs another team.
    • So Basicly this is a cool feature. that is if you have a big guild that can actually hold a territory for some time. again the smaller not super rich guilds will be left out of the fun.
      For that fact that the devs in pretty much every update tell us they will do something for small guilds and never deliver makes one worried. the new mage system does enable some small things yes but it pretty much is the biggest hassle in the game...
      sometimes the round table has good ideas so how about going for those already (Like siege warfare!)
    • I have mixed feelings about this.

On the one hand - I think this is a good way to get new teams introduced to the GvG scene. The fact that Crystal GvGs occur at two timers and have an IP soft cap make it less likely you'll get steamrolled by a veteran team in 8.2 gear.

On the other part of this seem like it is devaluing territory ownership and introducing another 'chore' to the game.

I'm also curious to know more how the existing point scoring system will be effected by the introduction of crystal GvGs:
      1. Will the new max season points for ownership be accumulated over 24 hours by having siphoning mages present? Meaning a single siphoning mage in Mercia generates 54 season points over 24 hrs? That rate per hour is so low that there is even less incentive to waste time defending mages to keep them up. On the flip side, if mages are also dropping much less energy and season points per kill, no one is going to bother killing them.
      2. Are points for controlling a castle at it's zone's prime time also reduced to be 3x the territory ownership value?
      I'd also echo some other posters concerns that this content is still unavailable to the majority of the player base as there are only about 50-ish guilds who own a watchtower territory. There should be some mechanic for non-territory owning guilds to also participate in Crystal GvGs. Perhaps make them a separate matchmaking group with lower rewards given the requirement to entry is much less.
      AO Quick Reference Guide
      Discord: Grimhawke#9254

The post was edited 2 times, last by Grimhawke-EB ().

• Making people run out to territories for this is ridiculous. That doesn't generate content just makes people waste more time in game. It's not even good gear. It's stupid rare for people to get ganked even when they are wearing extremely valuable gear. Make a battle tab in Caerlean bank and make me sign up for the correct territory. Also, make alliances fight. As was said already you are incentivised to queue someone no matter what so if you get paired make the loot only unlock if your guild is in the zone (prevents inter-guild fights but not alliance fights). Also, do not allow mercenaries for these fights it needs to be the guilds that own the territories fighting for it. Also shift the times to 2:00 utc for na. That means people can still go out for warcamps. I would actually rather the fight take place at a non-standard time ie 2:15 utc. By having it on the hour the guilds with 2 utc territories are punished.

For this to be successful it needs to work like a scheduled arena match that has real rewards. So the normal members can get meaningful fights and it doesn't feel like a chore.
      1. How valuable is "adding content" for more players in the whole equasion compared to reducing percieved value per teritorry.
      2. How valuable is the "experience" and fame tomes as part of the whole equasion?
      3. How valuable is having a "winning" team, compared to being able to passively defend a teritorry, that "makes" money by winning their matches?
      4. Why is pushing down the "cost to gvg" a bad thing by soft-capping the gvg?
        1. (You can still throw money at it by having better gear, it just scales worse.)
        2. What are your guys realistic expectations in terms of what people will bring to these gvgs?
      5. Why do I feel like this discussion is pushed toward the "value" of a teritorry so much?
      Bogul#6397 - Merchants of the Mist - Founder & Head of "Management"
    • Bogul wrote:

Why do I feel like this discussion is pushed toward the "value" of a teritorry so much?
      Apparently people think 5-10 good GvGers in a guild should determine territory control and who wins a season.

Territories still give passive points, safe access to the best resources in game, and a safe area in the open world. With this change they will give less points passively, but more if you do well in crystal GvGs. Seems pretty valuable.

Unless this population of this game crashes below 1000 players, GvGs are simply not content the majority of players can participate in. GvGs still determine who gets territory, they are still incredibly important, but actually allowing other members to contribute beyond slave-gathering for gear is a good thing.

Edit: I'd like to add that alliances should be able to fight each other. Seems similar to hellgates. In the instanced battle, no hard feelings, just fight. Maybe you could make it lowest priority, so alliances only fight if there are no other options. I guess that would only happen if half the teams queued were from one alliance? Maybe this isn't an issue actually.

The post was edited 2 times, last by FriendlyFire ().

• FriendlyFire wrote:

Apparently people think 5-10 good GvGers in a guild should determine territory control and who wins a season.
      So you think if 5-10 good gvgers left and made a guild with only that many people they would have as many territories as they do now?

FriendlyFire wrote:

but actually allowing other members to contribute beyond slave-gathering for gear is a good thing.
      I believe this is a choice people make, no one literally cracks a whip in RL if you don't follow.

In my opinion - Crystal GvG's will probably get more people into GvG, but doesn't solve what I think is a problem which is massive alliances and having to be part of one to not be handicapped.
    • Who cares if it "devalues territories." You get a safe place to run away to already. Its filled with guards that are about to be buffed. You have 4 mages that you can abuse while defending. You get a laser that kills anyone that goes inside near the chest that you can use to store stuff. You get daily spawns of t8 that have a high chance to enchant. The terri is filled with chokes you can defend with. You get bonus to gathering on terri. You get generated season points and energy. Its a place to launch from. Try playing with only warcamps to store stuff in. Yes you have to defend the terri to get the most energy, enchanted resources and season points out of it. But even if you dont. You still get passive income for nothing. There isnt really gvgs attacking 90% of the terris. They are money generators.

crystal gvg's will actually allow more people to get into gvging. The rewards seem fair and the season points. Im concerned about rewarding no shows at all. This would be abused. I would add what players here are suggesting. Being able to launch them from a sort of warcamp.
    • Ok, so I like the idea of these in theory. These are the things that I am concerned about.

These should allow people the opportunity to experience things equally, so being able to launch without owning a territory should be a feature.

Taking season points off people who own territories to fuel this is not a good way to give an incentive to people to own territories. Back to the drawing board with that please. If you go forward with this and with the removal of some of the T8 there is practically no point in owning territory as a small guild, something that you have continually said you are working towards. You aren't, you are working away from that goal.

Why are people owning Anglia Territories so heavily penalised? Losing 50% of potential points vs no loss for red zones and a smaller loss for Cumbria and Mercia? Surely apply a scale here where it affect everyone equally.

Interested in the reasoning behind this, it must be there but I cannot see it or pretend I know the end goal, but this seems at odds from you have said previously.
      Pre Patch 16 UO Player - Casual PK/Carebear Crafter - Now Old.
    • I see alot of landholders crying around here because this change would change passive income from territories to active income(which is a huge hassle i understand that fully @syndic). However this idea seems to me what this game needs.
      The reason why most new people are afraid of gvg's is because of veteran players and the high risk factor of gvg's in general. IMO crystal gvgs will allow a way larger playerbase to participate in competetive 5v5 content, without constantly having to face the best players in the game.
      A nice feature i'd like to see however, is if you could get matched vs your own alliance and simply have their names hidden, so you can fight over the points and rewards without prejudice.
      I also don't think it's fair to reward teams that don't get a fight. they should just not get points and keep their towerlevel. And the IP cap might be a bit too low(best would be 1200 soft + 25% of anything above but that's just me).

TL;DR Sounds like a solid idea, maybe needs some slight adjustments; im hyped AF anyway.
    • To get the benefit that the territories gave before we should have GvG teams playing Crystal Realm which I find interesting.

The cap seems perfect to me. It will allow several teams to participate without having to risk too much. There will be many teams that is good, as happened with the hellgates capped.

The time windows could be 19 UTC and 04 UTC? To avoid having less open world content in the warcamps.

HYPE.