Will Bows be EVER viable for 5v5?

• I have to say bow animation got beyond nerfed. I saw that 2015 vod with warbow, fuck i loved those cast animation.

EDIT : also putting vids just to prove that it's being used doesn't mean that the bow is viable. We have to say, GVG usage prooves that he's not viable a the moment. There is some mecanical issues that makes aa based bow not viable atm. Solving it can make whispering and normal bow viable without people saying ur trolling.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Owlsane ().

• Owlsane wrote:

I have to say bow animation got beyond nerfed. I saw that 2015 vod with warbow, fuck i loved those cast animation.

EDIT : also putting vids just to prove that it's being used doesn't mean that the bow is viable. We have to say, GVG usage prooves that he's not viable a the moment. There is some mecanical issues that makes aa based bow not viable atm.
      Having bow as a purely AA-based kiting weapon might be problematic from balance point of view. Currently, two most used skills on Warbows are skillshots, having strong AA damage instead would be too much likely.

I do agree though, that they should get something, little something extra. Watching Nausk looks like bows are easy and natural winners, but for me bow 'shoot and move' feels very clunky, with no smooth change from one to other. Having autoattacks overally not stop you for fraction of second would be a good start. Buffing bow damage at lower levels would help a bit too. And that's only OW experience 1v1 or 1vX (where X is hopefully <= 2). For 5v5 they really miss a lot... no seriously scary burst, no utility for the rest of the team. Whispering is like most viable out of them for 5v5 and it's only thanks to extra range really, not that it is best DPS alternative there is, right?
    • ixxxo wrote:

Having bow as a purely AA-based kiting weapon might be problematic from balance point of view. Currently, two most used skills on Warbows are skillshots, having strong AA damage instead would be too much likely.
      I don't know if i was clear or not but if i talk about AA based bow there is only 2 atm which is normal and whispering bow. The rest is good on what they are doing. Warbow => excellent in open world and small scale pvp / Longbow, Wailling, (Badon) => very good in ZvZ. But normal and whispering bow?

Well normal bow has some usage in HG and 5v5 but not that much. Also with the last update, this weapon is imo good for the format. I use it during arenas and people get surprised with the damage output he can offer. Need to see during GvG with an organised team in front of me to see if it's efficient enough to have real potential.

Whispering is still a joke atm even with the 2 sec buff on the E. In arena i feel useless, no dmg, no threat on the ennemy, no utility unless you want to make ennemy dps back off but even like that they doesn't care (even with 80+ specs on it). I had some ideas of the e rework for example the piercing AA that deal dmg on everybody on the arrow route (makes a unique identity for the whispering bow and a niche type of gameplay) or also the 3rd consecutive AA on the same ennemy deal an additional true dmg.

W's have 2 main spell that is used everytime (ray of light and explosive shots) and 2 that is used almost never, frost shot and speed shot both too clunky to be used.

Speed shot doesn't fit into aa based bows cuz you have to actually cast on somebody to be efficient and you loose 1sec of the AS buff because the AA lag. I Also did maths on the dmg dealt by the spell in total. You clearly have no reason to use simply because he deals less dmg than both explosive shots and ray of light. Self cast with small dmg buff can solve the issue.

Frost shot cost to much energy and to clunky to be usefull. Revamp the spell to be used the same way as frost nova (you select where you want to be and he shots the arrow in the other way), less mana cost and it was a niche gameplay for bows.

letwolf wrote:

Bow Q' s should be like Spears (boosting AA dmg for 35% per stack), then it will be viable for 5v5. Also whispering would be okay then, with its enormous range and even more dmg.
      Well NDA is reworking deadlyshot kinda the way you're talking about.
    • iced0ut wrote:

longbow is very strong in 5v5 GvG's, just need the whole comp to play around it.

Its not the main meta, and has never been, but why should it be?

Bow is s tier in ZvZ AND Ganking / OW

Why does it have to be S tier in GvG?

Honestly, I'd rather avoid having discussion in this direction. In my eyes it's a bit misleading. First of all, games should be about freedom of choice. You like melee? Play it, here is 10 melee weapons you can choose from and I guarantee you will not feel you wasted time grinding your choosen on up!

With amount of grind currently ingame (and I get reminded again and again every time I am out of LPs how boring faming becomes) EVERY SINGLE LINE OF WEAPONS should have alternatives for every activity ingame. You are already punished with having to grind different kind of bows to use them all, I see no reason why there should not be a bow for particular ocassion. But please, don't force me to grind yet another weapon line, because I might not have time for it, or LP for it or really feel like it.

With respect to OP, I'd stick to discussion which is 'bows in 5v5', their performance outside of 5v5 is irelevant to this thread (and pretty much OK from my insignificant perspective, they certainly could use more diversity or small rework here and there, but they perform already)..

EDIT:

longbow is very strong in 5v5 GvG's, just need the whole comp to play around it.

I don't doubt it. Problem here is, that you need comp for that (good luck with that) and that this is a sign that others need to support longbow, instead longow supporting team effort. Bows have close to zero utility for 5v5, at least compared to other alternatives (which are commonly used exactly because of that: they bring superior damage, or superior utility, or mix of both).

The post was edited 1 time, last by ixxxo ().

• Nausk wrote:

I heard that Cast Speed passive has made some items usable for GvGs - who knows what those items could be ;)

EDIT* Who knows, maybe energy burn on auto attacks (1% of the targets max. energy) would be more interesting than the ever so common Aggressive Caster.
      I think they should put every normal passive usable for every weapon (agressive cast, dmg boost, mana or hp regen) then for every weapon line adding 1 to 2 unique passives that only the weapon line can have it.

For the bow i was thinking of a passive that every x consecutive auto on an ennemy you deal additional true damage and the second one (more a revamp of the slow poison) every spell marks the ennemy, auto hit the ennemy will proc the mark, slowing them for x and dealing y damage ever time.

Actually waiting to have more news about the deadly shot revamp tho