Questions about newbie pitfalls and some more

• Questions about newbie pitfalls and some more

Hello everyone.
      I have started my adventure with Albion recently, yet there are already some questions which are nagging me. I'm hoping I may find some answers to them here so please bear with me ^^

1. What are some most common newbie pitfalls out here? By pitfalls I mean actions / activities that, for a newbie, are just waste of the time as they either are not going to benefit the player in the long run or they shouldn't be meddled with until a lot later in the game.
      2. I've read about focusing and not spreading too much in the skills(destiny board steps?). Realistically, is it feasible to have a character that can both fight and provide for itself by crafting its own gear?
      3. As gathering is spread between 5 resources, which of them are beneficial for what class?
      4. I saw it is possible to breed(?) mounts, is it something one can start doing from the early time, or is it more of geared/later game activities?

Final question is about class/gear choice:
      Is there any character that can sneak, can be built to dodge damage rather than to tank it via armour and has good damage output potential (more of a burst damage than sustained damage probably)?
    • Hello everyone.
      I have started my adventure with Albion recently, yet there are already some questions which are nagging me. I'm hoping I may find some answers to them here so please bear with me

1. What are some most common newbie pitfalls out here? By pitfalls I mean actions / activities that, for a newbie, are just waste of the time as they either are not going to benefit the player in the long run or they shouldn't be meddled with until a lot later in the game.

I would avoid the black zone until you are at a point where you can afford to lose everything on your person.

2. I've read about focusing and not spreading too much in the skills(destiny board steps?). Realistically, is it feasible to have a character that can both fight and provide for itself by crafting its own gear?

It is possible, yes. There are several theories as to which is best:

1. Be self-sufficient.
      2. Be really good at one thing.
      3. Do whatever you want.

3. As gathering is spread between 5 resources, which of them are beneficial for what class?

In general, tanks will lean toward ores, healers to cloth, and DPS a combination of a few. I would advise you to attempt to dismiss any idea of 'classes' as this game places no restriction on what or how you play your character.

4. I saw it is possible to breed(?) mounts, is it something one can start doing from the early time, or is it more of geared/later game activities?

You can do this once you get your personal island to level 2 - It is a comparatively low cost.

Final question is about class/gear choice:
      Is there any character that can sneak, can be built to dodge damage rather than to tank it via armour and has good damage output potential (more of a burst damage than sustained damage probably)?

Yes. Again, there are no 'classes'. Check out the character builder here for a nice introduction to theorycraft.
    • Hey Duregar,

This is a long post without a lot of solid answers for you. Get in the game, play around, find a guild, find out how you enjoy playing, and the rest will all just sort of make sense to you as you go. Just don't spend your learning points right away.

The biggest newbie pitfall I can think of relates to your second question, spreading yourself thin. Every day your character has premium access, they're granted 20 Learning Points (LP). You might be tempted to immediately use your LP to help you complete low levels of combat, crafting, or gathering skills. LP are valuable, and I'd recommend holding on to them until you have a clear direction of how you want to progress your character - something you won't have until you know how you're realistically going to play Albion.

Is it realistically feasible to have a character that can both fight and provide for itself by crafting its own gear? This depends on the time commitment you can give to the game. Albion is a very PvP focused game. Entry level PvP competent gear opens up to you at Tier 4 equipment. You can, realistically, spread your play time around to where you can gather and refine T4 materials, craft a set of T4 armor, craft a T4 offhand, and then use that equipment to go fight. But, you're going to spend a significant amount of your game time not fighting. If that's how you want to play, great! There's nothing stopping you but time. Realistically, you can make more money doing any one thing in a focused manner (gathering, PvE, PvP) successfully and then using the in game profits from that activity to fund your character's equipment, rather than gathering, refining, and crafting it all yourself.

There are no classes in Albion. It's common to see characters wearing pieces of each archetype of armor. You build your "class" from the abilities you gain from wearing different types of weapons/armors, and the abilities you want to have will vary based on how you're going to play the game. Leather armor, crafted from hides gathered from animals in the wild, can give you the "Ambush" ability - lending itself to the sneaky character you outlined in your final question. But, a cloth Mage's cowl, created from fiber gathered from plants in the wild, can give you the "Poison" ability, a significant source of damage. And you're going to need a weapon, that's going to require wood and or metal.

As for breeding mounts, you can start that the moment you can afford to do it. You'll need to purchase a personal island, upgrade it to the point at which it can have at least one farm plot, erect a stable in that plot, purchase a foal, feed the foal, wait for it to grow, and then craft the fully grown horse into a mount. How quickly you can afford that depends, again, on how you intend to play the game.
    • Thank you both for the answers.

I have some more questions:
      1. Purchasing island - Is it still the most beneficial to have the island in Caerleon?
      As I read there have been changes in how crafting works in different cities (something about specialization in certain resources/gear) and in zones status (yellow to red) around Caerleon. The zones status change, from what I can see on the map, resulted in Caerleon being accessible only by crossing at least 3 red zones from any direction. Did the city's status diminished after the Merlyn update?

2. In reality how dangerous are red zones?
      At the moment, for my mind, the most similar system to zones is EVE's security system. And low-sec/null-sec systems in EVE weren't as dangerous as long as the player was paying attention to surroundings and was using given tools to keep themselves safe (e.g. checking recent activity on the map)

3. Are there any in-game tools that the player can use to determine actual safeness of a zone in a given time? (not zone's status, but actual happenings in a zone)
    • Duregar schrieb:

3. Are there any in-game tools that the player can use to determine actual safeness of a zone in a given time? (not zone's status, but actual happenings in a zone)
      Only tool is the small map on the bottom right of screen. It will show how many hostiles are in the zone. It will also show a red circle on the map (referred to as a blob) if there are many players in one area of the zone. It will also show a bouncing skull and crossbones icon at a location if a player is being ganked or has recently been ganked there.

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von SHARKY ()

• It's too soon after the Merlyn patch/I'm too uninformed to know for sure if having an island outside of Caerleon will be beneficial with the new market changes. But, my money is on no. I believe Caer will always be the central market hub as long as the only way to get gear to the black zones is through Caerleon.

Red zones aren't that dangerous. As SHARKY mentioned, there's a hostile player indicator next to the mini map while you're in a yellow or red zone. If there are too many hostiles for you to feel comfortable, find a different zone to farm in. As you play you'll learn that hostiles aren't bad, you just need to learn how to react to them when you see them. Also keep in mind that when you started Albion you were naked and alone on the outskirts of the royal cities with zero skills, zero inventory, and nothing in the bank.

Get comfortable with the idea of losing your inventory. It's not a bad thing. It means you're playing the game, advancing your character, and increasing your player skill. Get ganked by an ambush squad right when your portal shield ran out? I bet you don't take that straight of a path next time. Get complacent and stop checking the hostile indicator in a red zone, only to be ganked by a roaming squad? I bet you watch the indicator more closely next time.
    • seriously don't spend your LP. I was spending it so frivolously, leveling at 20% on every type of t4 gathering gear crafting in the beginning. I probably spent 8 days worth of points on bullshit that I didn't need at all. The game is a serious grind and I think the LP can make new players think its not as much of a grind because it seems like its a quick boost. you will really need them for things, that 400 you get as a bonus is finite even though it doesnt seem like it. Don't get hasty or impatient. I'm currently saving up for t6 mining, which at 20% to level up, costs almost 500 LP. I've got it down to 280 by mining more, but if I had saved my stuff and understood how the Destiny Board worked, it probably wouldn't be as stressful as it is now lol.

Just work on a single kit (build) that has some crossover for multiple situations if you wanna be smart about playing. if you wanna try stuff out without worrying about lp, make a second character and just go straight combat. After I blew through the LP I made a second toon to letmy main accrue LP, and so I could learn a little but more about the abilities and play styles. If you don't mind spending a couple bucks on premium/gold you can be a little more relaxed and not worry so much. Its not necessary though. Hope this helps
      signature
    • you will get a lot of different replies here most likely...

regarding LP - there is a couple of tricks here (always think about opportunity costs):

1) I'd say its OK to spend your LP to unlock everything (weapons and armor that is) to t4. Its only like 4 LP per node at such an entry level. Even at 40 nodes each, that's like 160, LP - which you can get back in 8 days (you get 20/day).

2) When you take #1 and think about it more - you realize that you don't really need everything unlocked at t4. Maybe 1 for nature healing, 2-3 melee weapons (daggers for sure), and some armor, mostly leather/cloth. 1-2 magic staves (maybe frost and curse, just to get the feel of what "magic" is like). So its not even 40 nodes, more like 20 nodes, or 80-100 LP total. You don't really need heavy/plate armor unless you're planning to tank, and a few other exceptions which as a newbie you should not concern yourself with.

3) Now if you combine #2 with skinning - you can freely unlock every single weapon to t4. Because skinning you kill animals and get combat fame, and the skinning gear (armor set, chest piece to be exact) does most of the damage - via the "poison" skill, not your weapons. So you could be holding a t1 weapon and it will be coated with poison, killing animals.

So now if you do it smart, and look at what I typed in #1-3, you can pretty much unlock everything to 4 for very very low LP costs. (all weapons and offhands = free unlocks, as I mentioned).

Now the opportunity cost of doing that - is that you will know what every weapons/armor does in the game - and that info is pretty priceless as that will make it easier for you to chose in what items/gear you want to specialize in. And you'd only spend a little bit of LP to unlock all that if you follow steps 1-3. Just don't upgrade anything past Level 1, until you figure out what you want to specialize in!
      DarthMagus - T8 Stone;
      Mining T8 in enemy WT solo