Due to high fees in town the Traders and merchants guild is opening their guild island in Thetford with half fees to the public.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Due to high fees in town the Traders and merchants guild is opening their guild island in Thetford with half fees to the public.

We all know fees for the shops in town have been rising steadily. We also don't expect that to change.
    The traders and merchants guild answer to the rising fees in town is to open our guild island to other guilds for use of our workshops (t4 to t6). We have all workshops and we offer their service for approx. half fees compared to town. If your guild wants to apply for access please send a message (not chatbox) to "Rixlette" in the game. We'll be happy to give your guild access to our workshops.
    At this time we only accept application from guilds, not individuals to keep the workload manageable.

Also if this has any success we'll be expanding with the same offer to Lymhurst next.

So i you're interested in using our shops let me know.
    Head of the 'Traders and merchants guild'

The post was edited 1 time, last by Rixlette ().

• Morimo wrote:

Fooky wrote:

Morimo wrote:

I feel sorry for the people who used your island. They pay more fee without knowing since they loss 15% return rate.
    10% less returns when using focus. 15% without focus.
    Even at 10% return, it still worth to do crafting in the city since 10% return is much more value than 10% tax.
    So are you saying the high fee rate in Thetford the OP is describing is 20%?
  • Nightspawn wrote:

Morimo wrote:

Fooky wrote:

Morimo wrote:

I feel sorry for the people who used your island. They pay more fee without knowing since they loss 15% return rate.
    Even at 10% return, it still worth to do crafting in the city since 10% return is much more value than 10% tax.
    This is not the real number but I use it to be easier to understand.

20% tax fee on city plot charge 1000 silver, you get materials back for 4000 silver
    10% tax fee on personal island, charge 500 silver, but you don't get anything back.

No matter how low of the tax he sets, it doesn't matter since the materials you get back is much more than the tax you pay.
  • Morimo wrote:

Nightspawn wrote:

Morimo wrote:

Fooky wrote:

Morimo wrote:

This is not the real number but I use it to be easier to understand.
    20% tax fee on city plot charge 1000 silver, you get materials back for 4000 silver
    10% tax fee on personal island, charge 500 silver, but you don't get anything back.

No matter how low of the tax he sets, it doesn't matter since the materials you get back is much more than the tax you pay.

I think you miss part of the point.

Many people feel like the plot owners are too greedy and will use less efficient stations to avoid feeding the greed, even if it means a net loss for themselves they can be happy about taking their business elsewhere.

Correct me if I'm mistaken but 3 to 4% tax would make them break even. 10 - 15% would leave them with a nice passive income. But they already got rich with 10-15% and are so greedy they want to become even richer faster so they bumped the tax up more and more.

Now there are several threads about the greedy plot owners extorting the masses with unfair high tax.

Morimo wrote:

This is probably true with current tax rates. But it's also probably true that the greedy plot owners will continue to raise the taxes and this will eventually no longer be true.

You also have to consider what someone is crafting / refining. The less expensive it is the sooner you hit the break even point. By break even I mean the returns are no longer worth more than the tax.
  • Fooky wrote:

Morimo wrote:

Nightspawn wrote:

Morimo wrote:

Fooky wrote:

Morimo wrote:

This is not the real number but I use it to be easier to understand.20% tax fee on city plot charge 1000 silver, you get materials back for 4000 silver

I think you miss part of the point.

Many people feel like the plot owners are too greedy and will use less efficient stations to avoid feeding the greed, even if it means a net loss for themselves they can be happy about taking their business elsewhere.

Correct me if I'm mistaken but 3 to 4% tax would make them break even. 10 - 15% would leave them with a nice passive income. But they already got rich with 10-15% and are so greedy they want to become even richer faster so they bumped the tax up more and more.

Now there are several threads about the greedy plot owners extorting the masses with unfair high tax.

Morimo wrote:

This is probably true with current tax rates. But it's also probably true that the greedy plot owners will continue to raise the taxes and this will eventually no longer be true.
    You also have to consider what someone is crafting / refining. The less expensive it is the sooner you hit the break even point. By break even I mean the returns are no longer worth more than the tax.

You are mistaken. Even at 20%, right now, they still rarely make profit or even at loss. You forget that the owners have to pay defense bids which are very high and maintain their plots. The reason the tax is up is because of the bids are high. People don't understand this. If it is profitable, everyone will lower their tax to compete to get more customers but it is not.
  • Morimo wrote:

You are mistaken. Even at 20%, right now, they still rarely make profit or even at loss. You forget that the owners have to pay defense bids which are very high and maintain their plots. The reason the tax is up is because of the bids are high. People don't understand this. If it is profitable, everyone will lower their tax to compete to get more customers but it is not.

How many plots do you own? I suspect you own a few is the reason for your lies.
  • So OP puts crafting stations on a guild island, and gets to avoid the main cost, the monthly bidding/auctions.

This would be stupid though, because even with practically no fee, the resource return rate makes it worth using city crafting stations. So what to do?

He scams new players. Tells them the fee's are halfed, doesn't mention the lower resource return rate, which they might not understand.

It's both clever, and evil. Stealing from the new and poor while telling them you are helping them.
  • FriendlyFire wrote:

So OP puts crafting stations on a guild island, and gets to avoid the main cost, the monthly bidding/auctions.

This would be stupid though, because even with practically no fee, the resource return rate makes it worth using city crafting stations. So what to do?

He scams new players. Tells them the fee's are halfed, doesn't mention the lower resource return rate, which they might not understand.

It's both clever, and evil. Stealing from the new and poor while telling them you are helping them.

People who blindly say it's better to use the city without doing the math should take the time to do the math. The less expensive the item being refined / crafted the less valuable the returns and the lower fee difference to break even.
    However, even if you do the math you would need more than 20% cheaper fees to break even with the cheapest stuff at the moment... but value of items constantly changes therefore the value of returns changes but the fee is the fee.

Also - BUTCHER :)

Heavy advertisement for Lower Fee at butcher should get some customers.
  • I got tired of paying 20% taxes in Fort Sterling which started at 7% then climbed to 12%, 14% then 18%, now its 19/20% so I constructed my own buildings. At the moment its true that I could use the city plots and make more money even with the tax because of the passive 10% yield but for me its the principal of the matter.

I am tired of these rising taxes and its going to get worse when the Merlin update comes and cities offer 29% passive bonus's. I am expecting many of the taxes to increase to 30-45%.

I say we create a small council and a collection of Guild islands spread over each city, assign individual players to each building to act as managers then all the buildings would have a tax of something like 8% just to help with food costs. There could even be some farmers dedicated to helping to feed the buildings in each city.

The post was edited 1 time, last by DoomRawrus ().

• This kind of struggle is part of what makes the game, people just learn to work things out, or free to make their stations. I feel people just takes it for granted that people operating plots are sort of game generated npc with fair rules applied. Perhaps the problem lies in the initial perception of it when you start out, and you get a bunch of stations that are not directly related to players.

In the end, you have got choice, you are the one who feed them. Create our own, decrease the demand, and you will see things to change, easy as that. The system is weird, unrealistic and all, but this is not related specifically to the problem. The problem is you, and the struggle is an integral part of the game experience, as least the way that seems was designed to be.

I deal with tradesman a lot in real life due to being a property investor, they want to put trick on me to maximise their profit with their work (their flavour of car salesman techniques :D), each trade has its tricks, over the years I have learned a lot, repairs, refurbishments, they are trying their best to mask quotes with a generic approach, turn things around, add on top, justify high prices with poor excuses and promises.

Sometimes as I'm also an advanced DIYer, if I have spare time I look for the most costly repair that I can do in the shortest time, and I do myself, if I save a lot, which includes for example marketing properties and do viewing on top of specific skilled building work I can do, that would have a significant cost going to a tradesman.

At the end of the day, I'm the one who have to turn out the best value for my money and learn their trade tricks. Most of the time I piss them off as they cannot work their way with me or they just get to low compromise (best time to spot when there are period of shortage of work so they need their worker going, and lower rates so I get cheap labour) :) All I want to say is, you buyer are in control if you want, either on your own building what you need, or just as they organise their cartel, you can organise some sort of buyer scheme if you want to roleplay and fight this situation, compile a list of tricks on how the cartel operate and make sure everyone knows about it, this game has global chat after all. Compile a list, create a powerful buyer mindset, you are in control, not them.

You do not need them, you make the rules.
    Synced Onetyper

The post was edited 3 times, last by Synced ().