Albion Online Dev Talk - Merlyn Roadmap

  • Piddle wrote:

    When it comes down to it, for me. Pre-complaining is a waste of time. People overreact to every change. Hidden Treasures are going to ruin the game? Hidden Treasures ended up being a pretty unique way to reward pve focused open world players, with no real negatives.
    You may be right but I don't think it's hard to see that this update is too much. If they want to make the RC cities more relevant they should have done 1 or maybe 2 things not 4 things to try bringing everyone to the small area. Very soon after Merlyn they will need to make corrections to get people out again.

    SBI Motto: HUGE CHANGE IS BEST, FUCK MINOR ADJUSTMENTS. OOPS, CHANGE WAS TOO MUCH LETS OVERCOMENSATE THE OTHER WAY.

    Best example: Huge World turned into tiny world resulted in overcrowding and huge loss of players. Not saying they all quit because of crowding but I almost did until the population dropped enough to be playable. Now with steam its already too crowded and Merlyn will make it worse.
  • @Piddle people pre-complained about Caerleon and reputation in yellow as it ment killing PvP. Now they are bringing faction warfare to yellow (even blue) which is returning the PvP, except now with full loot. And the city bonuses are to fix the "one city that rules them all" update. Also the FW system if set up as I think it is will be heavily abused by players like in EvE. Sure there is still people having tons of fun in FW in EvE, but there is also plenty of those who just farm. Including huge alliances sometimes joining and abusing the hell out of it.

    Fooky is right about overpopulation. They judged population after release based on beta numbers when most ppl hybernated for release. This is a speculation, but I think if they would have the bigger map as they had before Caerleon more people would've stayed. As many left because they were simply ganked into oblivion in a small map but before they were able to find theirs own corner and farm in safety-ish environment.
  • Omnio wrote:

    @Piddle people pre-complained about Caerleon and reputation in yellow as it ment killing PvP. Now they are bringing faction warfare to yellow (even blue) which is returning the PvP, except now with full loot. And the city bonuses are to fix the "one city that rules them all" update. Also the FW system if set up as I think it is will be heavily abused by players like in EvE. Sure there is still people having tons of fun in FW in EvE, but there is also plenty of those who just farm. Including huge alliances sometimes joining and abusing the hell out of it.

    Fooky is right about overpopulation. They judged population after release based on beta numbers when most ppl hybernated for release. This is a speculation, but I think if they would have the bigger map as they had before Caerleon more people would've stayed. As many left because they were simply ganked into oblivion in a small map but before they were able to find theirs own corner and farm in safety-ish environment.
    If people complain about literally everything. They will end up right sometimes. That doesn't make them smart. Packaging it as prophetic visions and then only pointing out the times they are right, to get people to send them money. That makes them smart.
    Discord: Piddle#7413
  • Hey @ZaZii

    An announcement like this is not planned right now, so we shouldn't expect to have this next week. However, I will ask to publish a more longterm overview like this in the not so distant future, I can't give you an exact date just yet though.

    Since we put a lot of focus on the Royal Continent in Merlyn, some of the areas of discussion right now are shifting to improving the Outlands, GvG warfare and the PvE experience, specifically variety in the open world. Please keep in mind that these are insights from discussions, still quite broad, it could still be changed or adapted and nothing is announced as certain yet.

    - Evoque
    AlbionOnline | @EJevoque | Evoque#9601
  • Evoque wrote:

    Hey @ZaZii

    An announcement like this is not planned right now, so we shouldn't expect to have this next week. However, I will ask to publish a more longterm overview like this in the not so distant future, I can't give you an exact date just yet though.

    Since we put a lot of focus on the Royal Continent in Merlyn, some of the areas of discussion right now are shifting to improving the Outlands, GvG warfare and the PvE experience, specifically variety in the open world. Please keep in mind that these are insights from discussions, still quite broad, it could still be changed or adapted and nothing is announced as certain yet.

    - Evoque
    Out of curiosity, will the armor, that the lady in the trailer was wearing, be available as vanity or new plate armor?
  • @Lanyday

    Lanyday wrote:

    @Kurim

    Kurim wrote:

    Could you please tell me how is current Martlock "weaker" than Caerleon?
    There is less travel to Martlock and fewer people who base their home there. This causes a more stagnant market. Prices are generally higher and items don't sell as fast. These are the types of things they're referring to when they say 'weaker'.
    Traders complain that they can no longer make money by moving goods around because no one uses the outer cities anymore. Trading was sold as a core feature of Albion, but was largely killed when they made Caerleon the main hub. This is an attempt to rectify that.

    There is one clear choice for where to put your island and spend most of your time: Caerleon. The Devs want to give people a choice again.
    So you say Caerleon having a more active market makes the rest of the cities "weaker". Faction Warfare wouldn't fix that: it's PvP content. So maybe (just maybe) resource redistribution, gathering and refining bonuses and even personal island buffs (depending on where the island was purchased from) could impact markets and trading between cities. But not the refining bonuses they mentioned, more on that later. If you got your island upgraded and fully equipped, be it in Caerleon or elsewhere, would you get rid of it because one day "you are given a choice again"? Nonsensical.

    I am a trader/crafter myself and I'm complaining about announced Merlyn features. Things can be improved about trading but Merlyn is not aligned with that. Again, Merlyn is a PvP patch, not a trade patch, not a solo/small group patch, not a PvE patch. They're selling it like it will fix a lot of things and it just doesn't make sense.

    Lanyday wrote:

    Kurim wrote:

    How about fixing stuff that needs fixing without breaking other stuff in the process?
    Can you explain what you believe is being 'broken' by these changes?
    I've already explained it, and I haven't been the only one. So just some examples:

    Players living in BZs will want capes with skills and fancy mounts. Zerg-farm for those, screw Royal in the process. Bring lag to currently lag-free zones. Mess with solo/small groups who live in Royal. Turn markets upside-down. Return to their homes in BZs when they get what they wanted, leaving Royal messed up. Repeat when the tide is low (more capes/mounts needed). Tidal-based market prices, not a fix.

    New Faction capes and mounts: Current cape/mount crafters screwed? We shall see how they approach new capes/mounts. Also, if capes' stats are different depending on each Faction, some capes will be considered "best" and their Faction will dominate: talk about balance. Same goes for faction mounts.

    Refining bonuses: They've already explained how cities without a given resource will have bonuses for refining it. I've already explained how dumb that is.

    Relocating gathering nodes around main cities leads to bunched-up gatherers in PvP-enabled zones and populated with zergs (with Merlyn).

    The list goes on, I think these should suffice.

    Lanyday wrote:

    As an aside: for those of you complaining that the devs claim these changes are for solo/small group players, but believe the faction warfare will favor zergs, I think you're misunderstanding something:

    The point of faction warfare is not necessarily to increase solo/small scale pvp, but to give solo/small groups a chance to get involved in zerg (or other) fighting. Maybe small scale fights will also increase, but joining a faction allows an un-guilded player to play in a zerg by simply joining a faction.
    So you say it's OK because solo players and small groups can join zergs. How broken is that? Also, a faction-farming zerg from a big guild/alliance finds amongst their ranks such solo players or small groups... in a yellow or red zone. They're there for the farming, maybe some for the fun. Why not killing those outsiders? Unless there's some penalty for their farming I can guarantee that will happen. If Faction points or resources are capped or hard to come by, zergs will get rid of such outsiders to keep all points and resources for themselves.

    But, again, zergs are a pain, an undesirable byproduct which, with Merlyn, will impact even those not directly involved with them. Talk lag. Talk maps roamed dry of resources and mobs.

    Back to the beginning, you made clear you understand Merlyn is PvP-oriented. In your own words, it aims to "give solo/small groups a chance to get involved in zerg (or other) fighting". Like there aren't enough options to PvP in Albion! Oh, wait, those might be already spoilt by zergs. So instead of fixing zergs they bring them to Royal so everyone can be unhappy. Great reasoning there.
  • this guy is really salty. but I guess that happens when you cant read and arent aware of changes


    Just to add one thing to your saltfest, PvP is what makes trading/crafting more alive and profitable, people participating in faction wars wont be buying items from Caerleon, then moving to the city just to sing up for the faction, and you cant use fasttravel because entering caerleon gonna remove your faction i guess, so essentially, by enabling a lot of full loot pvp in royal zones, they are buffing economy of said zones, pretty simple actually.

    on top of that, black zone home plots will have bonuses just like cities, so they gonna stay the strongest.


    blackzone is still way more rewarding, so your assumption that people gonna zerg there from blackzone 24/7 is just purely delusional

    The post was edited 2 times, last by tabooshka ().

  • Fooky wrote:

    tabooshka wrote:

    blackzone is still way more rewarding, so your assumption that people gonna zerg there from blackzone 24/7 is just purely delusional
    With the exception of gathering mid tier enchanted resources. The RC will be the best place in the world for that so people that normally stay in Black will come into the blue/yellow/red zones much more than before.
    if you consider 8 overcrowded zones the best place, then yes
  • Let's get this straight: Merlyn is no good for solo/small groups.

    Again, from the [Concept] Solo Zones thread:

    Korn wrote:

    Hey there,
    this idea has been shelved for now.

    However, without sounding overall hyped, we have something major planned for the next update, Merlyn, that goes in the same general direction (buffing solo and small group player) but should be far more awesome than the idea in the OP.

    How many years have we been waiting for content or features aimed at solo and small groups? Now "allowing solo/small groups joining Faction zergs" is ok? Since when? Ditching plans and features for solo/small groups is no good news. Bringing full-loot PvP and zergs to blue zones is even worse. Simple as that. Not even mentioning PvE content, instanced dungeons, working pathfinding. Big Merlyn feature is PvP-oriented, zerg-oriented. The rest, we could talk about it. But seriously, Faction Warfare is dumb, it hurts Royal, it would be almost impossible to remove and plain impossible to fix. SBI has a history of trying overfixing stuff that doesn't work, nerfing stuff to try people to use other items, other builds. Just check the most recent post on balance changes. Full loot PvP in blue zones, even no loot PvP in blue zones should not be implemented. No matter if flagged or not, opt-in or not, it's a terrible idea.

    I'm fully aware of how war stirs economy, both up and down. How PvPers make some prices skyrocket while others get dumped. How to take advantage of that. Economy is a side note to Merlyn's PvP features. Want people to play PvP from cities? How about fixing Arenas, adding more modes and rewards to those? How about some arena-based league in which teams from different cities fight and cities get ranked up and provide bonuses to aligned players according to that ranking? Just saying: there are LOTS of PvP-based stuff we could get without screwing up Royal. Faction Warfare as explained by SBI is a problem, not a solution.

    Curious when someone explains stuff others disagree with they call'em "salty"...
  • tabooshka wrote:

    you must have under 100k pvp fame, i understand its hard to be a blue zone player but pls dude stop
    You are disgusting. I played the betas, I'm way over 100k fame and play 3 characters. But even if I was under 100k fame that doesn't dismiss my ideas, which I have explained and provided reasons supporting them. You can't counter them so you go ad hominem. You're hence providing a fine example of why Merlyn supporters are wrong. Thanks for your cooperation, you've done your part and are no longer needed, move along.
  • I will never understand why anyone bothers with insults on a forum. It serves no purpose other than to cast a rather unflattering light on the one vomiting such up crap.

    It really feels like these factions are being hastily glued together. Isnt this the type of thing that should be thought out before you have a team working on it? Why do I get the idea the exact opposite occured...
  • Raithe wrote:

    I will never understand why anyone bothers with insults on a forum. It serves no purpose other than to cast a rather unflattering light on the one vomiting such up crap.

    It really feels like these factions are being hastily glued together. Isnt this the type of thing that should be thought out before you have a team working on it? Why do I get the idea the exact opposite occured...

    probably because you dont even play the game and you are out of touch you just doesnt realise it as this forum is the only one that tolerates your crying

    feels really funny when you spend so much time here waiting for vanilla wow
  • Vanilla AO perhaps....

    I have still a good chunk of premium on 3 toons burning down. I paid hard earned cash for that premium. If i have time in which I would be logged in were there aught to do I will likely be here instead. And I do still log in for a bit when really bored.

    So relax! I'll be out of yer hair in 100 days or so it seems.

    Note:
    I have never logged into nor installed WOW in my life. Was busy with a MUD at the time. Much more immersive.