Red/yellow zones, PvP mode and parties

• Red/yellow zones, PvP mode and parties

Imagine you are in a party with your friend and shooting some mobs in T6 location. At some time your friend is under attack from pvp-active player, while you both have it disabled. Result: they have a fight while you are not able to participate. Reason? Logic? Any common sense?.. It sounds pretty straightforward to receive an aggro from whole party on attacking any member of it.

How did the case "my party is under attack but I'm unable to participate because of 60 seconds timer" come into the game at all? Using pvp mode for defense just because you are in the party and have a risk to be attacked doesnt follow its goal and actually penalize you with reputation loss.

Even more. Some player enabled pvp mode - he's ready to fight and can attack others. He lost part of its reputation for this. Why cannot he be attacked by anyone regardless of their mode? Look at the EVE Online and their flags system - any criminal in any empire space can be attacked by anyone. He can defend himself and beat attacker. Even his friends can help him - and immediately receive criminal flags too. That is logical - having "criminal" mode in "royal" zones should not be an advantage on "loyal" players. It gives you ability to attack other players but also should make you vulnerable to their response.

So, what was the original idea of such a weird system?
  • Do you realize there are 2 types of flag in red/yellow zones?
    First one is regular criminal flag which is highlighted red. People flagged with it can be attacked by anyone anywhere.
    Second one is, as i call it, limited engagement flag (something like in EVE). It is gained in pvp zones around relic chests/territories/war camps/world bosses. You can attack someone inside it and go out of the circle. As long as you keep hitting the target, both of you will have this flag. iirc this type of flag is highlighted with blinking red-orange nametag.

So, if you want to help your friend, best option is if both of you will run inside pvp zone to get this flag. After that you could heal each other or both get aggro on player attacking you.
    As an example, here is a moment when i pulled person out of the world boss pvp zone (4:56). He could avoid this fight by running back to the zone, so his friends could help him. The end of the video is also a good demonstration of how it works.

The post was edited 2 times, last by Helgulfr ().

• Helgulfr wrote:

Do you realize there are 2 types of flag in red/yellow zones?
    First one is regular criminal flag which is highlighted red. People flagged with it can be attacked by anyone anywhere.
    Second one is, as i call it, limited engagement flag (something like in EVE). It is gained in pvp zones around relic chests/territories/war camps/world bosses. You can attack someone inside it and go out of the circle. As long as you keep hitting the target, both of you will have this flag. iirc this type of flag is highlighted with blinking red-orange nametag.
    Sure. I came with this topic after yesterday. Was in discord with 2 mates (one had higher gear, one with lower) that made a party and went to T6 location to rank up lower one. Different guilds, if that matters, but single party. They both had pvp disabled, for sure. Just slowly roamed through location killing mobs far from unlimited pvp zones. There was single pvp-active player on location for some time - but single PK isn't so scaring for 2 players party even if he manage to start fight, right? At some point they meet that single PK and was attacked. Newcomer got a bit lost and instead of mounting the horse he moved out of mount range, left on his feet and received first damage. Another mate saw started battle, dismounted, tried to engage - and bam, he's unable to do. For sure, low-equipped newcomer was unable to survive a minute under attacks while his party-mate enabling pvp mode.

So, the question is - was it their mistake somewhere? Or is aggro system flawed so much so you can attack a single target from a party, kill him and slowly go away while they are still trying to react?
  • Well, they were together (so no accidental pvp zone entry) and one of them experienced enough to avoid such things. I actually asked about details - they both were pvp-disabled and attacker was plain red, not blinking. Sad we have no video - probably need to do some tests and recheck...