Games I've been able to link and pay for stuff outside Steam even though Linked.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Games I've been able to link and pay for stuff outside Steam even though Linked.

These are just a very FEW of all the games I've played OUTSIDE of Steam, and once they decided to move to Steam you were still able to link your account and pay your subscriptions OUTSIDE of steam, and buy shit in their cashshops or whatever you wanted to do.

*Archeage
    *Dungeons & Dragons online
    *Lord of the rings online
    *Neverwinter
    *Rift
    *Tamriel (Elder scrolls online)
    *Tera Online,

If the devs of the games above could do it, then why not Sandbox with Albion Online?

The post was edited 1 time, last by Ungwe_Lianti ().

• I know the explanation, my point is. I've played many games in the exact same situation, and they haven't had any problems doing this. And You've still been able to use the cash shop as normal in these games. And pay for monthly subscriptions etc, well that's my experience of it anyways.

No matter what, they should let you link your account because it would still mean that everyone who wants to do that would have to buy the game a 2nd time which is a lot to ask already as it is.
    Now they're ONLY using old backers to milk them for more money then they'll get from Steam players (their own explanation) If you translate it to normal English.
  • tabooshka wrote:

or they want to keep expanding the game and have set budget and financial projections for it and they are not willing to lose 30% of income like free to play games with p2w cashshop that you mentioned
    So, exactly how are they losing any more for all those who will buy a Steam account because they want the game on Steam, but previously played outside of steam? It will be the same result will it not?
    Meaning, People should be allowed to link their accounts, because they who want to have their game on Steam, trust me they will either buy it there or quit playing. Might not be a gazzillion of people but they will still do it and there will be plenty of them.

Again, even if counting with a loss in monthly subscriptions (only) because you can still use cash shop as I tried to say about the other games in my post, so even with a loss. that loss will be EXACTLY the same if a certain player migrates to Steam platform to play the game, thus ENDING his "Out of Steam playing of Albion online"

So no matter how you twist it, They should let people link their accounts if they chose to buy the game a 2nd time. Because anything else WILL piss people off, and they WILL feel badly treated and they are in fact badly treated too. Because they are the ones who have supported the game the most.

Personally I only played the Beta for some time, I have been busy and it's been talks about Steam from the beginning wither it would be launched there or not. CAn't say I followed that discussion THAT much at that time, I just took for granted that it would eventually go to Steam which most games do. And most games I have backed, or just bought and played before launching on Steam have been able to link the accounts.

So it's just a sort of prison on old backers/players with only intention in mind to milk them of those extra bucks, A prison they can't get out of other then Buying the game again and restarting from scratch, a method that would result in the EXACT same thing as letting players Link their accounts.

can't get away with the explanation, it's just a foolish and greedy reason they chose to follow.
  • tabooshka wrote:

I think you didnt read the part where steam takes 30% cut
    I think you didn't read the part where it won't matter for they who will buy a new Steam copy of the game. The result will still be a 30% cut to steam Old player or not, if that old player chose to restart on Steam.
    So why not let that player/all those players link their accounts if they chose to do so?

Because they are afraid that Too many will do this, or a whole lot of people, meaning a whole lot of people actually care and would be willing to pay for the game a 2nd time to get their Steam link.
  • tabooshka wrote:

You must be retarded if you create new account and abaddon old one just to play on steam.
    why? If you already know everything, a new start is sometimes very nice. And it has to do with Collecting, the Legacy feel and much other things. The reasons to have your games at one place, with the Achievements and such at that same place is a true gamer's dream. You'd be surprised how many have that thought and hoping to have it that way in all games they play.

In fact, There are many such as myself that purposefully waiting for a Steam release on new games ONLY to not end up in a situation like the one we're talking about now. And some including me (I know many more) Never buys games that are not on Steam even if they really want them badly.

For some it's their hobby, it's their collection, their Legacy, pride, call it whatever you want, it's the same with everything. Some have their joy, pride and collects cars, stamps or whatever it might be.

So no, I think actually it would be the opposite, retarded is not really what I would consider someone who're willing to start all over like that just are very passionate about his Gaming experience and Collection combined.
  • The Steamworks page clearly states that this is not allowed.

We asked Steam directly and they confirmed. Games that don't adhere to this cannot be published on Steam.

A journalist did so, too, and got the same response. See here: (scoll down) gamingonlinux.com/articles/alb…ont-see-a-steam-key.11495

BDO and ESO use the same approach that we had to take.

We did also research other games and could not find one that was in breach of this clause - note that it says that you cannot direct to purchases on your own website from within the Steam client. If you go directly to the website, you can make such a purchase and this is allowed.

We really would have loved to offer a better solution to this problem.
  • Korn wrote:

The Steamworks page clearly states that this is not allowed.

We asked Steam directly and they confirmed. Games that don't adhere to this cannot be published on Steam.

A journalist did so, too, and got the same response. See here: (scoll down) gamingonlinux.com/articles/alb…ont-see-a-steam-key.11495

BDO and ESO use the same approach that we had to take.

We did also research other games and could not find one that was in breach of this clause - note that it says that you cannot direct to purchases on your own website from within the Steam client. If you go directly to the website, you can make such a purchase and this is allowed.

We really would have loved to offer a better solution to this problem.
    That might be the case, I can assure you that all those games listed have been working perfectly with other website or means to pay at some point of the time on Steam anyways. The article is about old players not getting a free steam key and the reason why, I still don't see why you couldn't give old players the option to buy the game a 2nd time and thus play as Steam players will do who will be free to play ANYWHERE and have truly "1 Account True cross platform" as you advertised this game as.

Because Steam has their own Platform/infra structure completely now, with their SteamOS consoles, you are in fact basically running false advertisement. It's only true if you buy it on Steam, but old players /players who purchased it outside of steam has to have 2 accounts because you want to imprison the most loyal playerbase the way you do. And those players also has to be punished to start allover if they chose to do so, not happy with this at all.

Bad decision imo, very bad
  • I agree that starting over with knowledge of what to do could be fun. I wish I had played in beta! But I don't get this part...

Ungwe_Lianti wrote:

For some it's their hobby, it's their collection, their Legacy, pride, call it whatever you want, it's the same with everything. Some have their joy, pride and collects cars, stamps or whatever it might be.
    I'm not sure what you are trying to say. You can just add Albion as a non-steam game into steam, and have it listed and launch Albion through it. Isn't the only different whether you can spend using your steam wallet or not?
  • FriendlyFire wrote:

I agree that starting over with knowledge of what to do could be fun. I wish I had played in beta! But I don't get this part...

Ungwe_Lianti wrote:

I'm not sure what you are trying to say. You can just add Albion as a non-steam game into steam, and have it listed and launch Albion through it. Isn't the only different whether you can spend using your steam wallet or not?
    It's a matter of Collectionvalue/feeling having your collection on the same place even when not installed. Easier to access and easier to use, easier to purchase things too the game and so on. I think it's a big difference and where promises have been made, even to give out free steam keys (didn't even know about this until recently about the FREE keys) instead they go 180degrees and doubledown on that route, making it twice as bad for backers/old players. Not only don't they give out free keys to those players, they also lock you out completely from the possibility to buy the game a 2nd time but link your account. It's kind of bad
  • I've played Path of Exile since its closed beta. They are on steam, allow linking of accounts, and I ONLY make purchases from their official website. This has never been an issue, and is just one example.

EDIT: Some ppl have lots of money in their steam wallets that they can not spend on other platforms. Be this from card trading, skin trading, gift cards or whatever. Imo, its very short sided to not want your pre-steam release users to be able to use that money, money they can ONLY use on steam. During the holiday season, ppl get steam gift cards, not Albion Online gift cards.

The post was edited 2 times, last by ntall1 ().