Albion Advertising/Banner Ads/Marketing

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Albion Advertising/Banner Ads/Marketing

First up I want to say I’m really loving this game, you have created something awesome and I can see it being huge in the future. Congrats on a very polished Alpha so far and on your collaborative approach to working with the community to further improve your product.

The first thing I wanted to bring to your attention was the fact that I’m now getting massively spammed with banner ads for Albion. Just about every site I go to has one, which is fine I’m sure you guys have a marketing strategy around this, but you must be paying a fortune in PPC/PPV. The problem is I’m willing to bet a lot of people who you’re hitting are already subscribers. I mention this only because I want you to succeed, I don’t want Google etc. to eat all your revenue.

Secondly, I just want to let you know that having played the game, the banner ads are fairly incongruent with what I feel the game is actually like. So those people clicking the ads that end up hitting your page might find that it’s not what they are looking for and leave. More blown PPC/PPV money.

I’m going to take the piss out of these a bit, but seriously you should consider realigning your marketing with the core aspects of your game such as:
    • Sandbox
    • Player driven economy
    • Full loot PvP
    • GvG/Territory/Social dynamics
    • Cross platform
    • Highly customisable characters
    And so on.

What I currently get from the banner ads I see in rotation:

“Hot pirate bitches totally play this game, you will no doubt find them and bang them IRL.” It looks like those vile overly sexualised free MMO ads you see on torrent sites. Albion is so much more than that, why stoop to their level?

“Have you played Bejewelled? You will love Albion online!” I don’t mean to offend the designers too but the guy also looks like a pedo who stumbled across a chest full of baby dicks.

Ok these two are better, it kind of shows the GvG/Group aspects and isn’t overly sexualised or silly looking. Maybe sacrifice one of the “Get Alpha Access” or “Become A Founder” as that is a bit of a double up and use the regained real estate for something that mentions Full Loot/GvG/Sandbox or one of the other many outstanding aspects the game has.

Anyway, I don’t want to tell you how to run your marketing, I’m sure you guys know what you’re doing. I just thought I’d offer my impressions of it so you can get some insight into how some people may perceive your game.

Cheers!

• Have 5 people closing in on 5 others in the 300x250 ad. That's representative of what's at stake.

The 90x720 is perfect artwise - maybe the tagline could be more "Put it all on the line" or "Arenas with pink slips", because losing an arena in AO means losing your home, and honestly caters to the type of people that want to play this.

The large sidebanner should also be an angif like the top, except it has people chasing a dude, he says "NOoooo", dies, and shows the others looting.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Dodgin ().

• Good post! Agreed 100%. It looks as though they outsourced it to.. generic game advertising company #348.

I've been noticing a lot of DAoC and UO players popping up in the introductions forum. Needless to say, AO has a strong niche appeal to fans of those games and those like them. It seems to me that it would be wise to leverage this in AO's advertising as much as possible.

The best thing that could be done is to literally mention UO or DAoC in the ad, and include the logo, but I assume there are some property rights issues in doing so. That leaves us with mentioning full loot, player driven economy, player housing, open-world PvP, guild territory control warfare, and so on.
    "Men make their own history, but they do not make it as they please; they do not make it under self-selected circumstances, but under circumstances existing already, given and transmitted from the past. The tradition of all dead generations weighs like a nightmare on the brains of the living." - Morgan Freeman