Existing Accounts & Steam

• Silks schrieb:

Sofaires schrieb:

Silks schrieb:

Midgard schrieb:

They went to steam to give the game greater exposure and increase the playerbase. And it’s worked.

It’s worth giving up the 30% if it brings in significant amounts of new revenue, which I’m sure it is. 70% of thousands of new accounts is better than 100% of a few hundred new accounts without steam.

Giving up 30% of your existing revenue is another matter altogether, and would be handing money to steam for no tangible benefit whatsoever.
      actually the math is not that simple and not even predictable.there are many variables that could influence their revenue positively or negatively such as fat Steam Wallets or players who never bought any gold through the website but would do it on Steam.Its not possible to know how much gold they would sell through Steam after the releaseIts not possible to know how many people have money in their Steam Wallets and howmuch they would spend in Albion
      Its also not possible to be sure if the 30% fee will generate profit or will make them bankrupt.
      What was possible to know was that joining Steam was a big risk and they decided to do so without any risk, by punishing some of their playerbase and making them not able to evolve to a new and better plataform along with the game.
      So basically its easy to understand what SBI did and why they did it.
      But agreeing with them is completely different.
      If you like the game and want to support it, just do it.
      But respect people with different opinions and needs.
      SBI wasnt ethic in their decision and thats very common in market and business models decisions, but its still unethical.
      can you elaborate more on how steam is a new and better platform when offers the same server with the same resources?as far as i see im not been punished at all, i just added the game like any other non steam game, i get chat friends invites etc and in-game achievements
      Well Steam isn't just another Unity based platform, to begin with.And i didn't mean its new to the market, just new to AO.
      Steam is probably the best gaming platform for marketing purposes. One of the main reasons is that they have a very solid code develpment.
      they indeed have a great coding environment but that does not affect the game in any way their coding is on their software only they dont code for this game, there is no real advantages of one account in steam vs vanilla launcher

the only thing that steam has over any other vanilla launcher is convenience of having everything in one place and the semi social aspect other than that

back in the days we had folders with custom icons and inside we had wow flyff ragnarok steam UT and many other ones
      New to the game? Use my Referral Link
    • Midgard schrieb:

LasTimelord schrieb:

Oh you know are a businessman
      Yes. I am. As well as being a risk management professional. You?
      Of course you are son, of course you are.

Sofaires schrieb:

Silks schrieb:

Sofaires schrieb:

Silks schrieb:

Midgard schrieb:

They went to steam to give the game greater exposure and increase the playerbase. And it’s worked.

It’s worth giving up the 30% if it brings in significant amounts of new revenue, which I’m sure it is. 70% of thousands of new accounts is better than 100% of a few hundred new accounts without steam.

Giving up 30% of your existing revenue is another matter altogether, and would be handing money to steam for no tangible benefit whatsoever.
      actually the math is not that simple and not even predictable.there are many variables that could influence their revenue positively or negatively such as fat Steam Wallets or players who never bought any gold through the website but would do it on Steam.Its not possible to know how much gold they would sell through Steam after the releaseIts not possible to know how many people have money in their Steam Wallets and howmuch they would spend in AlbionIts also not possible to be sure if the 30% fee will generate profit or will make them bankrupt.
      What was possible to know was that joining Steam was a big risk and they decided to do so without any risk, by punishing some of their playerbase and making them not able to evolve to a new and better plataform along with the game.
      SBI wasnt ethic in their decision and thats very common in market and business models decisions, but its still unethical.
      can you elaborate more on how steam is a new and better platform when offers the same server with the same resources?as far as i see im not been punished at all, i just added the game like any other non steam game, i get chat friends invites etc and in-game achievements
      Well Steam isn't just another Unity based platform, to begin with.And i didn't mean its new to the market, just new to AO.Steam is probably the best gaming platform for marketing purposes. One of the main reasons is that they have a very solid code develpment.
      they indeed have a great coding environment but that does not affect the game in any way their coding is on their software only they dont code for this game, there is no real advantages of one account in steam vs vanilla launcher

the only thing that steam has over any other vanilla launcher is convenience of having everything in one place and the semi social aspect other than that

back in the days we had folders with custom icons and inside we had wow flyff ragnarok steam UT and many other ones
      Oh god I remember this lol, up until Windows 8 I had everything in folders like this, then I started pinning to the taskbar and now I just add to Steam as a Non-Steam game, because I open Steam and scroll through, it's a good UI for it's library and is the only one that allows you to add games outside of it.

But if the games on Steam, then it's easier because if someone is interested, they will see you playing it and click the link and go to the store and see all the details, a Non-Steam game doesn't give this function.

Now for people with 100's of Steam friends, who see most/all friends in a game (like Albion for example) they will wonder what the craze is and look it up, if it appeals (or they just fancy jumping on the bandwagon) they will buy it.

Now there is obviously pros and cons here, if they wanted to join and their friends chucked them keys, that's gold SBI have to give to the player and mounts etc that get sold for extreme amounts, so the player handing out these keys is getting richer, levelling like a mad man and not once, has he had to purchase gold/membership, because he has sold all his stuff to get max silver.

Now say most the vanilla launchers give out codes to their friends and they join Steam, that means the vanilla launchers as well won't have to purchase much because they will be gaining from other means, so SBI would have lost most of that 100% and be living off the 70%

It's another way to look at it.

Some people are cheapskates, why pay when there is a free way.

Oh SBI get from game purchase, forgot that before someone mentions but my point still is, there are ways around paying for membership and purchasing gold.

And most people put up codes online for 7 day trials and then people purchase, so it doesn't even matter how many people you know, the internet does it's thing for you.
      [img]https://i.imgur.com/Is98XTT.jpg[/img]
    • Sofaires schrieb:

Silks schrieb:

Sofaires schrieb:

Silks schrieb:

Midgard schrieb:

actually the math is not that simple and not even predictable.there are many variables that could influence their revenue positively or negatively such as fat Steam Wallets or players who never bought any gold through the website but would do it on Steam.Its not possible to know how much gold they would sell through Steam after the releaseIts not possible to know how many people have money in their Steam Wallets and howmuch they would spend in AlbionIts also not possible to be sure if the 30% fee will generate profit or will make them bankrupt.
      Well Steam isn't just another Unity based platform, to begin with.And i didn't mean its new to the market, just new to AO.Steam is probably the best gaming platform for marketing purposes. One of the main reasons is that they have a very solid code develpment.

Well actually i have a lot of funds in my Steam Wallet but knowing SBI developers for years, i wouldnt have a single dollar in their platform if there was an option like that.
      People trust Steam's security system.
      This + the social aspect you mentioned is enough for me to want to go Steam anytime i can.
      But in this case i cant.
      Honestly im pretty sure im one of the less pissed among with the people who didnt like SBI's decision, but i also understand the point of view of most of the ones who are very pissed.
      And even this not being a democracy and being pretty much about a business model, like some braindead say, the playerbase mood is always a very important aspect to consider if you want to have success in any gaming business model in your life.
      If the majority, or even a good portion of your playerbase is unhappy, your game will fail sooner or later.
      Artificial intelligence will never beat natural stupidiy.
    • Some people are just gonna find something to whine about. Go pick up cans for an hour or cut your neighbors grass. I can't help it your daddy won't buy you Albion a second time but we don't want to hear about it. It's only a computer game after all. . .
      What we obtain too cheaply; we esteem too lightly. It is in dearness only that gives everything it's value.
    • Axxis schrieb:

Some people are just gonna find something to whine about. Go pick up cans for an hour or cut your neighbors grass. I can't help it your daddy won't buy you Albion a second time but we don't want to hear about it. It's only a computer game after all. . .
      a) it's not about people buying it, I reckon half the people who play are over 20, so it wouldn't be parents it would be uni funds lol.

And

b) you can purchase again but you lose all your time, dedication, cost so far etc, so not really fair.
      [img]https://i.imgur.com/Is98XTT.jpg[/img]
    • Nobody cared about "losing" their time when they walked away from the game. Why does it matter now? I'm not saying I don't understand it. What I'm saying is that it's not nearly as big of a deal as some of these people are making it. Most of these people didn't even finish a month subscription out. Is it really that big of a deal? I just feel like people can blow the smallest thing up into a huge problem. If the time is really that important, then keep it and play from their launcher. If steam is that important well, it's worth buying again. Either way it's just not that big of a deal.
      What we obtain too cheaply; we esteem too lightly. It is in dearness only that gives everything it's value.
    • Silks schrieb:

not a big deal for some, big deal for others.
      but what should really matter would be people respecting other people's point of views instead of pretending they are superiors and holders of the truth.
      I never said I didn't respect anyone's point of view. It's okay for adults to disagree, it happens all the time in grown up land. Some of the people I respect most in life are the people that hold different views than myself. Furthermore, voicing my opinion on this issue has nothing to do with being superior or telling the truth but I cannot speak for anyone else. If there was anyone specific you were talking about then you can quote them in your reply. (They make this pretty easy nowadays for the millennials, just click a button.) I myself don't think anyone in this thread is pretending to be superior. It is more likely that you feel inferior to others for reasons unknown to this discussion. That's just my point of view.

Public forums are made for the purpose of discussing issues and talking things out. I've saw many people change their mind from these types of discussions and I believe that this world needs more people willing to voice their opinion. If I said something that rubbed you the wrong way then please understand it was intended, but not the point of my post. I encourage you to counter my arguments and any other person in this thread with thoughts of your own. Who knows, you may even change my mind. If you don't have anything else to say, I respect that also.
    • minitrue_AO schrieb:

Rook schrieb:

i was thinking about getting back to AO, but seeing this, I changed my mind
      So whats the problem?

Specifically if it is true is is each similar statement is in effect continuously lessening the potential revineu stream the game and its developers subsist on. In reality it's probably not true. My best guess is the person saying such things really means that they will break long enough to reevaluate rather or not this game is the best option. Likely it will go one way for some and the other way for others.

This effect will continue for many reasons and the game will expand until enough expectations are not realized to a point where collapse occurs.

Similar to global warming this is cycle can certainly be natural and inevitable. Like the nasty weather that follows global warming however, we prolly don't want to run any faster toward that then we must.

But really. This has been thoroughly addressed and threats really do not make for positive change (typically). Nor do nasty remarks that keep one in defensive mode and unable to accept logical info that conflicts with the opinion being protected.

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von Raithe ()

• Neu

Sorry for the necro'ing, but I have been thinking about giving another chance to Albion when I saw it was on Steam now. I was one of the many players slightly disappointed with how the game launched (even though I did my best to voice my major concerns and support the game, buying legendary pack) but this is in the past and I understand things are how things are and such. So no worries about that :)

I've seen a lot of good things lately and heard that some of my major gripes were "changed" so I was considering this comeback, especially when I saw that it got to Steam and even include achievements - something I really like.

All that only to be disappointed again when I read that I'd not be able to play on Steam with my account. Now, I understand the reasoning on this thread and I think it is very good that you've all been straightforward and honest about it, about the financial reasons and such. But can't help to think it sounds like an excuse as some have pointed out.

As an example, I'd like to mention another game I play - The Elder Scrolls Online - which has gone through the same process (launching on Steam after it was launched outside of Steam) - although I did have to buy a Steam version of the game to link my account (however I only needed to buy a base version and could link my founder/all expansions account) I can still buy Crowns (their "gold") and other RL money content through their website and not necessarily have to do so through Steam.

So this is not forbidden nor impossible as the OP makes it sound like. I'm pretty sure that everytime I buy crowns or a new expansion (like I bought Summerset) through their website, no fee at all goes to Steam - and it works just fine on my Steam client. The accounts are linked but I have not lost any "features" or access to their normal, outside of Steam shop. Of course that this is how their shop is structured, and it is far more difficult for in-game transactions since these probably have to go through Steam.

But with some rearrangement of how purchases are made on Albion (not necessarily inside the game directly), I'm sure we could all find a middle ground where those wanting to link their accounts to Steam could still be able to support the game fully with no fees for third parties. I dunno, just a thought.

For now, I'll remain waiting :D
      Stay safe, everyone
    • Neu

of course there are ways to go around steam payment methods, but this would be as unethical as not allowing game founders to play wherever they want.

Also cross plataform development/integration must be really hard for coders who can barely fix Unity bugs.
      Artificial intelligence will never beat natural stupidiy.
    • Neu

DaniAngione schrieb:

As an example, I'd like to mention another game I play - The Elder Scrolls Online - which has gone through the same process (launching on Steam after it was launched outside of Steam) - although I did have to buy a Steam version of the game to link my account (however I only needed to buy a base version and could link my founder/all expansions account) I can still buy Crowns (their "gold") and other RL money content through their website and not necessarily have to do so through Steam.

So this is not forbidden nor impossible as the OP makes it sound like. I'm pretty sure that everytime I buy crowns or a new expansion (like I bought Summerset) through their website, no fee at all goes to Steam - and it works just fine on my Steam client. The accounts are linked but I have not lost any "features" or access to their normal, outside of Steam shop. Of course that this is how their shop is structured, and it is far more difficult for in-game transactions since these probably have to go through Steam.

Elsa schrieb:

Valistari schrieb:

Alternately, why not allow players to purchase the game through steam but have micro-transactions such as gold buying happen only through Albion Online direct? Or is that against the Steam ToS?

Korn schrieb:

The Steamworks page clearly states that this is not allowed.

We asked Steam directly and they confirmed. Games that don't adhere to this cannot be published on Steam.

A journalist did so, too, and got the same response. See here: (scoll down) gamingonlinux.com/articles/alb…ont-see-a-steam-key.11495

BDO and ESO use the same approach that we had to take.

We did also research other games and could not find one that was in breach of this clause - note that it says that you cannot direct to purchases on your own website from within the Steam client. If you go directly to the website, you can make such a purchase and this is allowed.

We really would have loved to offer a better solution to this problem.

Fusionbomb - GM of Morbidly_Obese

T8 Sickle/Axe/Skinning Knife
      T7 Pickaxe
      T6 Stone Hammer

90/45/60/30 Holy Specs
    • Neu

What is so important about using the Steam client directly?
      The only benefit I see is the ability to use your Steam Wallet, but then you are giving 30-35% of each purchase you make directly to Steam (and not supporting the actual developers of the game). Most, if not all, of the other benefits people look for can be obtained by just adding the launcher as a non-steam game (friends lists, have others see that you are playing, etc)