Existing Accounts & Steam

• Silks schrieb:

Sofaires schrieb:

Silks schrieb:

Midgard schrieb:

They went to steam to give the game greater exposure and increase the playerbase. And it’s worked.

It’s worth giving up the 30% if it brings in significant amounts of new revenue, which I’m sure it is. 70% of thousands of new accounts is better than 100% of a few hundred new accounts without steam.

Giving up 30% of your existing revenue is another matter altogether, and would be handing money to steam for no tangible benefit whatsoever.
      actually the math is not that simple and not even predictable.there are many variables that could influence their revenue positively or negatively such as fat Steam Wallets or players who never bought any gold through the website but would do it on Steam.Its not possible to know how much gold they would sell through Steam after the releaseIts not possible to know how many people have money in their Steam Wallets and howmuch they would spend in Albion
      Its also not possible to be sure if the 30% fee will generate profit or will make them bankrupt.
      What was possible to know was that joining Steam was a big risk and they decided to do so without any risk, by punishing some of their playerbase and making them not able to evolve to a new and better plataform along with the game.
      So basically its easy to understand what SBI did and why they did it.
      But agreeing with them is completely different.
      If you like the game and want to support it, just do it.
      But respect people with different opinions and needs.
      SBI wasnt ethic in their decision and thats very common in market and business models decisions, but its still unethical.
      can you elaborate more on how steam is a new and better platform when offers the same server with the same resources?as far as i see im not been punished at all, i just added the game like any other non steam game, i get chat friends invites etc and in-game achievements
      Well Steam isn't just another Unity based platform, to begin with.And i didn't mean its new to the market, just new to AO.
      Steam is probably the best gaming platform for marketing purposes. One of the main reasons is that they have a very solid code develpment.
      they indeed have a great coding environment but that does not affect the game in any way their coding is on their software only they dont code for this game, there is no real advantages of one account in steam vs vanilla launcher

the only thing that steam has over any other vanilla launcher is convenience of having everything in one place and the semi social aspect other than that

back in the days we had folders with custom icons and inside we had wow flyff ragnarok steam UT and many other ones
      New to the game? Use my Referral Link
    • Midgard schrieb:

LasTimelord schrieb:

Oh you know are a businessman
      Yes. I am. As well as being a risk management professional. You?
      Of course you are son, of course you are.

Sofaires schrieb:

Silks schrieb:

Sofaires schrieb:

Silks schrieb:

Midgard schrieb:

They went to steam to give the game greater exposure and increase the playerbase. And it’s worked.

It’s worth giving up the 30% if it brings in significant amounts of new revenue, which I’m sure it is. 70% of thousands of new accounts is better than 100% of a few hundred new accounts without steam.

Giving up 30% of your existing revenue is another matter altogether, and would be handing money to steam for no tangible benefit whatsoever.
      actually the math is not that simple and not even predictable.there are many variables that could influence their revenue positively or negatively such as fat Steam Wallets or players who never bought any gold through the website but would do it on Steam.Its not possible to know how much gold they would sell through Steam after the releaseIts not possible to know how many people have money in their Steam Wallets and howmuch they would spend in AlbionIts also not possible to be sure if the 30% fee will generate profit or will make them bankrupt.
      What was possible to know was that joining Steam was a big risk and they decided to do so without any risk, by punishing some of their playerbase and making them not able to evolve to a new and better plataform along with the game.
      SBI wasnt ethic in their decision and thats very common in market and business models decisions, but its still unethical.
      can you elaborate more on how steam is a new and better platform when offers the same server with the same resources?as far as i see im not been punished at all, i just added the game like any other non steam game, i get chat friends invites etc and in-game achievements
      Well Steam isn't just another Unity based platform, to begin with.And i didn't mean its new to the market, just new to AO.Steam is probably the best gaming platform for marketing purposes. One of the main reasons is that they have a very solid code develpment.
      they indeed have a great coding environment but that does not affect the game in any way their coding is on their software only they dont code for this game, there is no real advantages of one account in steam vs vanilla launcher

the only thing that steam has over any other vanilla launcher is convenience of having everything in one place and the semi social aspect other than that

back in the days we had folders with custom icons and inside we had wow flyff ragnarok steam UT and many other ones
      Oh god I remember this lol, up until Windows 8 I had everything in folders like this, then I started pinning to the taskbar and now I just add to Steam as a Non-Steam game, because I open Steam and scroll through, it's a good UI for it's library and is the only one that allows you to add games outside of it.

But if the games on Steam, then it's easier because if someone is interested, they will see you playing it and click the link and go to the store and see all the details, a Non-Steam game doesn't give this function.

Now for people with 100's of Steam friends, who see most/all friends in a game (like Albion for example) they will wonder what the craze is and look it up, if it appeals (or they just fancy jumping on the bandwagon) they will buy it.

Now there is obviously pros and cons here, if they wanted to join and their friends chucked them keys, that's gold SBI have to give to the player and mounts etc that get sold for extreme amounts, so the player handing out these keys is getting richer, levelling like a mad man and not once, has he had to purchase gold/membership, because he has sold all his stuff to get max silver.

Now say most the vanilla launchers give out codes to their friends and they join Steam, that means the vanilla launchers as well won't have to purchase much because they will be gaining from other means, so SBI would have lost most of that 100% and be living off the 70%

It's another way to look at it.

Some people are cheapskates, why pay when there is a free way.

Oh SBI get from game purchase, forgot that before someone mentions but my point still is, there are ways around paying for membership and purchasing gold.

And most people put up codes online for 7 day trials and then people purchase, so it doesn't even matter how many people you know, the internet does it's thing for you.
      [img]https://i.imgur.com/Is98XTT.jpg[/img]
    • Sofaires schrieb:

Silks schrieb:

Sofaires schrieb:

Silks schrieb:

Midgard schrieb:

actually the math is not that simple and not even predictable.there are many variables that could influence their revenue positively or negatively such as fat Steam Wallets or players who never bought any gold through the website but would do it on Steam.Its not possible to know how much gold they would sell through Steam after the releaseIts not possible to know how many people have money in their Steam Wallets and howmuch they would spend in AlbionIts also not possible to be sure if the 30% fee will generate profit or will make them bankrupt.
      Well Steam isn't just another Unity based platform, to begin with.And i didn't mean its new to the market, just new to AO.Steam is probably the best gaming platform for marketing purposes. One of the main reasons is that they have a very solid code develpment.

Well actually i have a lot of funds in my Steam Wallet but knowing SBI developers for years, i wouldnt have a single dollar in their platform if there was an option like that.
      People trust Steam's security system.
      This + the social aspect you mentioned is enough for me to want to go Steam anytime i can.
      But in this case i cant.
      Honestly im pretty sure im one of the less pissed among with the people who didnt like SBI's decision, but i also understand the point of view of most of the ones who are very pissed.
      And even this not being a democracy and being pretty much about a business model, like some braindead say, the playerbase mood is always a very important aspect to consider if you want to have success in any gaming business model in your life.
      If the majority, or even a good portion of your playerbase is unhappy, your game will fail sooner or later.
      Artificial intelligence will never beat natural stupidiy.
    • Neu

Some people are just gonna find something to whine about. Go pick up cans for an hour or cut your neighbors grass. I can't help it your daddy won't buy you Albion a second time but we don't want to hear about it. It's only a computer game after all. . .
      What we obtain too cheaply; we esteem too lightly. It is in dearness only that gives everything it's value.