Existing Accounts & Steam

• Neu

Sofaires schrieb:

Silks schrieb:

Midgard schrieb:

They went to steam to give the game greater exposure and increase the playerbase. And it’s worked.

It’s worth giving up the 30% if it brings in significant amounts of new revenue, which I’m sure it is. 70% of thousands of new accounts is better than 100% of a few hundred new accounts without steam.

Giving up 30% of your existing revenue is another matter altogether, and would be handing money to steam for no tangible benefit whatsoever.
      actually the math is not that simple and not even predictable.there are many variables that could influence their revenue positively or negatively such as fat Steam Wallets or players who never bought any gold through the website but would do it on Steam.Its not possible to know how much gold they would sell through Steam after the release
      Its not possible to know how many people have money in their Steam Wallets and howmuch they would spend in Albion
      Its also not possible to be sure if the 30% fee will generate profit or will make them bankrupt.
      What was possible to know was that joining Steam was a big risk and they decided to do so without any risk, by punishing some of their playerbase and making them not able to evolve to a new and better plataform along with the game.
      So basically its easy to understand what SBI did and why they did it.
      But agreeing with them is completely different.
      If you like the game and want to support it, just do it.
      But respect people with different opinions and needs.
      SBI wasnt ethic in their decision and thats very common in market and business models decisions, but its still unethical.
      can you elaborate more on how steam is a new and better platform when offers the same server with the same resources?
      as far as i see im not been punished at all, i just added the game like any other non steam game, i get chat friends invites etc and in-game achievements
      Well Steam isn't just another Unity based platform, to begin with.
      And i didn't mean its new to the market, just new to AO.
      Steam is probably the best gaming platform for marketing purposes. One of the main reasons is that they have a very solid code develpment.
      Artificial intelligence will never beat natural stupidiy.
    • Neu

Yes I agree, it's just bullshit excuses to get a key. I bought the game last summer and I didn't play it a week. Didn't know it was launching on steam until 4-5 days after it launched. I tried to migrate my account and found out I couldn't. I just bought the game on steam. If I had several months on the game I would have just played on the launcher. Anyone who is truly interested will play it and anyone who isn't won't. I'd say eventually they will even bring us this option but rn we don't have it, so it is what it is.
      What we obtain too cheaply; we esteem too lightly. It is in dearness only that gives everything it's value.
    • Neu

Axxis schrieb:

Yes I agree, it's just bullshit excuses to get a key. I bought the game last summer and I didn't play it a week. Didn't know it was launching on steam until 4-5 days after it launched. I tried to migrate my account and found out I couldn't. I just bought the game on steam. If I had several months on the game I would have just played on the launcher. Anyone who is truly interested will play it and anyone who isn't won't. I'd say eventually they will even bring us this option but rn we don't have it, so it is what it is.
      This is true.
      Playing it on Steam or using the Old Launcher is not what will make people stay or quit the game. At least not for a vast majority.
      But people have their right to complain and think this wasnt an ethical or cool move by the company.
      In some people's opinion, "it is what it is" because of a bad decision and statements like this one dont change anything.
      Artificial intelligence will never beat natural stupidiy.
    • Neu

Silks schrieb:

Axxis schrieb:

This is true.Playing it on Steam or using the Old Launcher is not what will make people stay or quit the game. At least not for a vast majority.
      But people have their right to complain and think this wasnt an ethical or cool move by the company.
      In some people's opinion, "it is what it is" because of a bad decision and statements like this one dont change anything.
      “it is what it is” because of a good decision.
    • Neu

ExRedux schrieb:

This is my response to a support ticket I had open regarding this topic. I'm sure a lot of it has been covered in this thread up until this point but I'm posting it both because I just sent the email to them and because I want to show my personal stance on the topic and support for account migration.

Welp, that doesn’t make any sense. Myself and the Guild I was in all quit playing while waiting for the Steam release or updates to happen. There is about 30 or so of us online in our discord server right now and none of us really have any intention in coming back now. I don’t know what to say. You guys think it’ll reduce your monthly income, but there are a lot of people who had played the game and aren’t playing it anymore. I would have thought you wanted those people to return.

I spent probably $300 on the game in the few months that I played it, and would have played it for awhile after the Steam release but you won’t give me a key for Steam. I happen to like Steam handling my game updates, achievements, played time, and other statistics and allowing me to play the Steam version would have been enough to bring myself back to the game. I know many of the people in my guild felt the same way.

So you’re worried players migrating to Steam will hurt your income, but in turn you’re willing to just have a good portion of the community quit playing over the months leading up to the Steam release instead. I’m sure if anyone actually sat down and did the math on ROI from handing our keys out, you would see another influx of returning players, more reviews on steam, and better steam player counts which would then translate in to more players.

All you’re really doing is prioritizing current economic stability at the expense of longevity and the game’s overall player experience. There is already less than a thousand average players on Steam, and it’s been declining steadily over the last month. I would think you would want to protect that playerbase, and bring more people to the game.

And you’re worried about current economic stability after all of us bought in to closed beta, gave you guys a large influx of development cash, and then continued to buy premium for months afterwards? Like I literally gave you almost $300 already, and you’re denying me a Steam key because you think my future purchases will generate you less income? Nah. It don’t work like that. I’ll just quit and generate zero income for you.

I think you guys should seriously reconsider this stance against giving out our Steam Keys. It would have been a show of good will, and brought back players. Bringing back those players to Steam on good terms would have been good steam reviews. Good steam reviews and more players on Steam would have made the game appear to be growing and brought in even more players, both on Steam and off Steam. I feel this stance of not allowing account migration is incredibly nearsighted.

Redux
      tl;dr I spent around $300 on the game before quitting before the Steam release for various reasons. I'm in a guild with 20 or 30 people still active whom have all quit playing as well. I know that myself, and a good portion of those players would have come back to give the game another shot had we been given account migration. The majority of us wanted to return to Albion to see if the devs actually fixed any of the numerous issues the game had, and account migration would have been a show of good will and we would have came back. Undoubtedly spending money on the game and buying premium membership. Instead we're not coming back and will generate zero income.

stl;dr Lack of account migration shows nearsighted development priority at expense of longevity of the game. This was the biggest problem with everything in the game up until this point. Nothing has changed. We're not coming back. RIP Albion Online.
      Amen really.

tabooshka schrieb:

good, no one cares
      /facepalm @ child like response...... Obviously some people care, it's not all 1 sided.

Midgard schrieb:

Silks schrieb:

Axxis schrieb:

This is true.Playing it on Steam or using the Old Launcher is not what will make people stay or quit the game. At least not for a vast majority.But people have their right to complain and think this wasnt an ethical or cool move by the company.
      “it is what it is” because of a good decision.
      A good decision in a few peoples eyes, a bad decision in others, my poll seems to be gathering more and more votes as well, seems more players want it merged and is it about majority or minority?
      [img]https://i.imgur.com/Is98XTT.jpg[/img]
    • Neu

It’s about neither. This is not a democracy, it’s a business making correct financial decisions to ensure the best outcome for its bottom line and therefore the longevity of its product. There is no ‘vote’ so majorities or minorities matter not.

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von Midgard ()

• Neu

LasTimelord schrieb:

What's it matter, give it a year and see how many people play on the client to the people playing on Steam and then tell me that they are making enough money or not.

Which they obviously are because even a 30% loss is still a 70% gain.
      But the 30% loss is avoidable. If I was them I’d stick with the 100% gain. Oh hang on ... they are. Smart.

If in 6, 12 or 18months time they change their minds then I’m sure it will be based on remaining player numbers and a point where they deem the 30% giveaway acceptable. Right now it’s simply not.
    • Neu

LasTimelord schrieb:

So urm, in 6, 12, 18 months they think "Oh fuck it give em all keys" then the players that moved already and started over and gave up their accounts, get what?

Oh I guess just the pride, in themselves, for doing that lol.
      Are you ten years old or is your reading comprehension just really poor? Where from what I wrote did you conjure up that they’d say “oh fuck it give em all keys” ?

What I did say was there might come a point where they deem it acceptable, which would not be an “oh fuck it” moment but a business decision based on what percentage of their playerbase was active on non steam accounts and what level of income that was producing. Then again they may just keep it the way it is.

Try engaging your brain before posting for fucks sake. You’re embarrassing yourself.
    • Neu

Midgard schrieb:

LasTimelord schrieb:

What's it matter, give it a year and see how many people play on the client to the people playing on Steam and then tell me that they are making enough money or not.

Which they obviously are because even a 30% loss is still a 70% gain.
      But the 30% loss is avoidable. If I was them I’d stick with the 100% gain. Oh hang on ... they are. Smart.
      If in 6, 12 or 18months time they change their minds then I’m sure it will be based on remaining player numbers and a point where they deem the 30% giveaway acceptable. Right now it’s simply not.
      Pretty much there, now drop the attitude and the bad insulting, in an attempt to only allow your voice to be heard, this is a debate and that means that everyone has a right to a say in it and what they feel is wrong or right.

And in this case what is just common sense for the future.
    • Neu

So ... where do I say that they say “oh fuck it just give them all keys”?

I don’t. Nor do I even suggest they’d do that. What I did say, which you’ll notice once you get a grown up to show you, is that they might re-evaluate what the cost would be to them at a future point in time and deem it acceptable. Or they may not. Completely different to “oh fuck it”
    • Neu

Steam will not magically stop taking a cut. Giving away steam keys will not somehow be more or less of a sound decision in X++; time.

The only thing that may change is the player complaint factor.

If that factor doesnt matter now.....then yeah it kinda makes sense for one to believe that would be the definition of an 'oh fuck it' decision.

Side Note:
      For any of those who no longer play a steam key would likely improve the odds of a return, and if conditions are conducive to once again spend money.

I do look at games not played in a while in steam. I do not comb my email for old keys I have forgotten about. So collectability does have its advantages for the developers.
    • Neu

Raithe schrieb:

Steam will not magically stop taking a cut. Giving away steam keys will not somehow be more or less of a sound decision in X++; time.

If that factor doesnt matter now.....then yeah it kinda makes sense for one to believe that would be the definition of an 'oh fuck it' decision.
      Again where did I say steam
      Would magically stop taking a cut?

And things can change. SBI knows it’s revenue from existing non steam customers. In 18 months time that revenue could be a) considerably less than it is now in cash terms; and b) a much smaller percentage of their overall income should steam be a big success.

Their decision now is based on the actual cash value of their existing non steam revenue at this time. There’s nothing wrong with re-evaluating down the line if they feel a need to and that revenue changes as a value and a percentage of this income.

• Neu

Midgard schrieb:

Raithe schrieb:

Again where did I say steamWould magically stop taking a cut?

And things can change. SBI knows it’s revenue from existing non steam customers. In 18 months time that revenue could be a) considerably less than it is now in cash terms; and b) a much smaller percentage of their overall income should steam be a big success.

Their decision now is based on the actual cash value of their existing non steam revenue at this time. There’s nothing wrong with re-evaluating down the line if they feel a need to and that revenue changes as a value and a percentage of this income.
      Be better talking to a wall Raithe, some people are lost in a one way street, which is why they have to throw pre-school insults.

Pathetic really, should take their own advice and find a grown up to explain things to them, seeing as they aren't understanding the other side of the coin here either. :S ;)
    • Neu

Yep I was right. You’re ten.

There isn’t an other side to this coin. SBI is a company. Whilst they may (and should) listen to player feedback on game design they sure as hell shouldn’t about matters relating to the companies finances.

That is it in a nutshell.

• Neu

Midgard schrieb:

Yep I was right. You’re ten.

There isn’t an other side to this coin. SBI is a company. Whilst they may (and should) listen to player feedback on game design they sure as hell shouldn’t about matters relating to the companies finances.

That is it in a nutshell.
      Oh you know are a businessman as well as being able to see people through a screen lol.

Again with the age jokes, the only ones who usually make them are self conscious children, what next your dad is bigger than my dad :D