Existing Accounts & Steam

• I will for sure not be buying this game again. It wasn't that good to begin with and honestly I wish I could just get a refund, but I really feel for the people that wanted this on steam just to find out that they'll have to buy it AGAIN just because the devs don't want to risk losing a little bit of money for a small amount of time.

Way to take a dump on the founders' faces.
    • CaptainLoozer schrieb:

I will for sure not be buying this game again. It wasn't that good to begin with and honestly I wish I could just get a refund, but I really feel for the people that wanted this on steam just to find out that they'll have to buy it AGAIN just because the devs don't want to risk losing a little bit of money for a small amount of time.
      Have you even read the thread? Actually you obviously havent.

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von Elsa () aus folgendem Grund: insults

• Eltharyon schrieb:

Hey everyone,

we have bad news about the Steam version of Albion Online.

As some of you may know, when a game is launched on Steam, payment of microtransactions (in our case gold purchases and subscriptions) in the Steam version of the game have to be handled via Steam wallet. No other payment options are allowed and Steam takes a significant portion of those transactions (we can’t disclose the number but you can probably google it) as payment for services rendered.

This makes sense for a business when when you acquire new players via Steam, but in our case we already have a large existing player base who is primarily financing Albion Online via gold packs and subscriptions.

We don’t have the option of increasing the price of gold and subscriptions on Steam to compensate for the share Steam would take, so by moving existing players to Steam we would lose a significant amount of our current monthly income. This would directly result in a reduced budget for developing the game.

This is why we’ve had to decide that it will not be possible to use existing Albion accounts to play on Steam - a decision many other MMOs going to Steam have had to make as well.

We are not happy about this, and would have liked a different outcome, but do not see any valid alternative right now.

We have updated the FAQ accordingly.

Sincerely,

Robin ‘Eltharyon’ Henkys
      I think it is a misleading use of words. What it should say is "This is why we've decided that we can not afford to allow existing Albion accounts to play on Steam." Because it is clearly possible because I have transferred several game accounts to steam when games move to steam, for free. I will say I was originally going to hold off buying this game until it came to steam but there was no clear indication when that would happen. I really wanted to try the game and figured I don't mind playing outside of steam FOR NOW until they come to steam. This is disheartening to say the least.
    • i wonder what makes it impossible to enjoy the game to the fullest outside of steam?

anyways... no body scream when sony or microsoft sells you the exact same game on a different console... oh and its a must if you want to enjoy the game on the new shiny console

look at steam like a console and anything outside of it as another console

what im trying to say is, dont bash a game because you dont get free extra copies

there is no advantage to play on steam,, we are even getting achievements... either way its really hard to pleased everybody
      New to the game? Use my Referral Link
    • Evoque schrieb:

Hey folks,

We have been following this conversation very closely since the original announcement, and at the same time we understand it’s bad news for many of you that linking old accounts to Steam via a Steam key will not be possible.

Some of you guys have mentioned that other games - even on Steam - allow you to bypass Steam wallet as a means of payment. However, Steam's guidelines require explicitly for Steam Wallet to be the only way to pay for in app purchases. You can find this and further information in the official steam documentation here.

We have spoken directly to Valve about this and confirmed that this is the case. In addition to that, the info has been independently verified by a gaming page who reached out and received a direct confirmation from Valve as well. You can find the article on that here.
      I am not sure if you are intentionally misrepresenting the payment situation on Steam, but this is Valve's statement:

If you obtain/launch it from Steam, yes. A Steam user that downloaded Albion Online through Steam should only be offered Steam Wallet as a payment option for in-game items/currency, but that doesn't mean that they need to drop all other payment options just because the game is available on Steam. Someone that is playing the game through their own platform could still be offered direct payment.

It is perfectly fine to have your own payment system, if you have in parallel to the Steam client, your own client and account system. You can also link accounts.
      For example Paladins does this. You can buy from Steam, directly through their client, through their web page or a key from a 3rd party and redeem in the client.
    • Midgard schrieb:

There is no misrepresentation. All they are saying is they don’t want to give their existing playerbase the option to pay through steam. By doing so they protect all of their existing revenue in full. It’s all quite clear.
      absolutely. i understand player who argues over new game features, player statistics, game expriences and weapon balancings, but i have zero idea of why we would have so many people whining here. if you brought the game before may16, you are just playing the gane as the way it is like how anyone else of us have played for the last 3 years, you dont necessary lose anything nor face a disadvantage in game.

edit : i used to say that steam release was a bit too early with the game state, but with the recent updates (lancelot and mid), especially with the upcomming merlyn overworld map structure update, i would take my older statement back, the game is in a good state for steam.
    • Midgard schrieb:

There is no misrepresentation. All they are saying is they don’t want to give their existing playerbase the option to pay through steam. By doing so they protect all of their existing revenue in full. It’s all quite clear.
      Did you even read what they wrote?

Some of you guys have mentioned that other games - even on Steam - allow you to bypass Steam wallet as a means of payment. However, Steam's guidelines require explicitly for Steam Wallet to be the only way to pay for in app purchases

This is factually false.
    • June schrieb:

Midgard schrieb:

Did you even read what they wrote?
      Some of you guys have mentioned that other games - even on Steam - allow you to bypass Steam wallet as a means of payment. However, Steam's guidelines require explicitly for Steam Wallet to be the only way to pay for in app purchases
      This is factually false.

Everything you just wrote also in previous post proves that they are right and you are wrong, or you have trouble understanding what "Someone that is playing the game through their own platform could still be offered direct payment." means? Or you have completely no idea what "their own platform" means, lol
    • Neu

justfrost schrieb:

Theres no way I'm buying the game again after spending 100$ on it already.

What really boggles my mind is that developers that have their games on steam have the ability to generate an infinite amount of keys for the game, why not generate those keys and send them out to founders/starters?
      Thats pretty simple, if they give us steamkeys or migrate our accounts into the steam system we are forced to buy gold thru steam which means steam gets a cut of the money, but if they keep the existing accounts as they are those can still buy it without the steamcut and the new steamusers will pay their cut which still is profit since 70% of a new subscription is more than 0. I have no clue how much impact it would have on their financial plan but it must be a significant amount or they are just greedy only SBI themself knows

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von Niorin ()

• Neu

This is nonesense. I make an example: Warframe.
      You can play and pay for the games ingamecurrency and content via their website with a multitude of paymentoptions and via steam and its steamwallet. The only thing you can only purchase and use through steam in Warframe are the TennoGen items, which are specificly only released via steam. But as far as i can see it the rest can be either purchased on steam or their website. You can also play the same account via the none steam and steam client.
      So.
      Are those 'explicitly' guidlines making an exception for Warframe for example? ^^
      Could be that i speak nonesense and this is a total different thing, but i doubt it.
    • Neu

Could they of not got a deal just for steam keys, that when you launch Albion online from steam you login with your credentials?
      So steam only get there cut from sales and not monetization, and transactions carry on as normal through the game website,
      tbh it sounds like company greed even small publishers have given keys when they released on steam, Leaves a sour taste in my
      mouth and would not of bought the game, nice way to S**T on founders. All in all excuses and Corporate greed.