What would it take to bring YOU back to AO?

• What would it take to bring YOU back to AO?

What would it take to bring YOU back to AO?

For me, my #1 recommended change would be to do away with the instanced, copy-pasted map zones, add a unique world terrain. Make lands individual and unique. That would change the game in so many positive ways. Make maps with 6-12 different exits, instead of 1-4. Make some maps really large, others really small. Etc.

#2 real quick, would be, do away with instancing and push everybody more into open-world, and encourage players to get into BZ. Make the risk worth the reward.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Theat ().

• I doubt many people who have actually quit continue to contribute to the forums/community. But as a new players I can outline the top issues I have with the game:

1.) The Grind - While the grind isn't considerably longer than the grind present in other games, there isn't much actual character progression tied to the grinding process. Many weapons will unlock their last skill at 40 and their last passive by 50. Beyond that the only benefit to continue the grind is for the mastery and specialization rank as well as unlocking higher tiers. But the gradual benefit of these things aren't apparent to the player and they're left with grinding for the sake of grinding for close to 100 hours to max a weapon.

2.) Balance - No game is going to get it right and have every item be viable and in the meta. But Albion is pretty far behind the curve with so many weapon options and so few actually being in the meta. This was made worse by artifacts significantly overshadowing the standard weapon options and relic weapons in particular overshadowing all others. If you look at the calculator tool available on this very website, you see people post GvG and ZvZ setups for their guild members to use to best fit into the meta. The vast majority of those builds use artifact weapons. The vast majority of those builds are ranged. In fact, the only melee weapons most show for ZvZ in particular are exclusively for tanks.

3.) Nothing to Do - I'm in the group of players that think they shouldn't remove ways for players to get fame and should instead greatly increase fame and the ways players can get it. But I also have difficulty finding a group because I'm not in a very large alliance, I play at NA prime times when everything is overflowing with groups and dungeon dive teams decked out in ZvZ gear. So there's very little for me to actually do. For the past 3 days all I've done is really kill moose and dire wolves to raise skinning and try and get calves/pups to get some money to afford a Relic item so I can get an invite to a HCE. Why HCE? Because that's the last bastion of places to FF when every square inch of Yellow, Red, and Black Zone dungeons are full and non-dungeon OW faming content is not at all rewarding for 2 or 3 players (and the few places that are, are camped as heavily as dungeons or even more frequently harassed because a party of direwolves can run in and out easily).

Of these issues, 1 and 3 may be getting some attention in the next patch but I've seen more talk about the solo content's silver reward as opposed to the actual fame reward which has me nervous that the most expedient form of leveling is going to continue to be the wholesale slaughter of moose. #2 seems to be horribly slow and I really wish the developers would spend a little time explaining where they felt the current weapons are. Even a 2 line response like they recently made for bow users would at least give me hope that a weapon I want to use is on their radar.
  • Having stopped playing right after the Kay update but still following the game in news and forums in case something miraculously changes, from my side I would expect primarily:

1) Actual performance improvements. I will not return if the constant stuttering (even in single player instances) is not fixed, and then the rubber banding in more populated areas. This alone would be enough to bring me back to give the game a second chance.

Close seconds:

2) Changes in the world layout to enable trading across the map and make the whole map relevant again (example: by reinstating port towns, preferably with ports close to each city going to black zones of the same biome to strengthen locality in resources and make trading/hauling relevant). Caerleon being the only relevant city, with the rest being ghost cities, makes the world seem tiny and boring. And no, "luxury goods" trading will not be enough for that. It is a cheap attempt to tick that box and go out in PR videos and say that something is being done in this respect, similarly to Kay's "we improved client side performance".
    3) Stop creating instanced themeparkish content (expeditions) and put it out in the open world. Want to have easy content for those that do not want risks or want to be more casual? There are the blue/yellow (and to some extent red) zone maps for that. Instanced content does not fit in this game. Personally have no problem with Arena but I get why some people do for the same reason.
    4) Remove instant travel between RC cities to strengthen the locality of resources (goes together with (2) ).

Final test: to see if the general doom and gloom and low population stop being a problem. Going from 140k active characters to 24k to hiding the numbers and laying off 2/5ths of the dev team when so much needs to be done does not inspire or create confidence.

The post was edited 1 time, last by tzervo ().

• Best fishing was archeage by far.
    And for me the second best combat as well.

Unfortunately it was also a carebear
    Game with insane cash shop advantages.

As for albion then there will always be things you want different, and certainly some design desicions i disagree with - but it is a niche game and with that in mind they have made something really good, and if you calculate you money spend with the hours played then id even consider the game way to cheap compared to what you get.
  • Remove the following;

1) Blobs in Black Zones
    2) Name tags off-screen showing
    3) Rep system
    4) Portal lock timers (remove completely to allow free travel without the hassle of being locked to a zone, add payment to travel again?)
    5) Remove battlemounts completely
    6) Change maps to beta 1 where there was only 2 main routes through the zone (3 if you owned the terri at the centre of the map) and have resources spawn off the road
    7) Server improvements and game optimisation
    8) Guild UI, party UI and general UI improvements such as; allowing alliance pings, customising dots on minimap to different colours to show your leader, your healers, dps, etc

Those are just some of the main things I would LOVE to be added or changed in the game, I started this game when it was catered towards the hardcore PvP player, I loved the game was full loot PvP, open world and was unique. Now after all these years SBI has catered towards baby-proofing this game just like every-other MMO and killing off the core people that first supported their game. I know many people are waiting for the next hardcore PvP full loot MMO to pop-up because Albion has let them down.

It's a shame SBI went that road, they can easily change it back, but we all know they won't as this game is now just another gathering sim with some random PvP thrown in every now and then.
    Tired of LAGGING in-game? Try ExitLag;
    Use this LINK & code 'ROBIN' for 20% off any plan!
    youtube.com/c/robinhoodrs
    • Remove portals, so every map (yellow, red) will have a strategic importance, remember the long journey from the city to the black zone territory
    • Add more Solo content
    • Balance battle mounts, they should not be able to kill any agile player, same as in EVE
    • Remove "inspect player" in red and black zones, players should decide to fight or flee following the other player gear look (experience effect) not by inspecting even his passives and weapon skills
    • Balance weapons, 80% of players are using 20% of the weapons (pareto lol)
    • in EVE we have about 5200 clusters with nearly unlimited number of players per guild and guilds per alliance, we need to limit those numbers in Albion, since we have about 200 maps, example: 100 member per guild, 5 guilds per alliance, max number per alliance will be 500 players, not 9400 (half of the server)
    • Change the concept of : the whole destiny of an empire is determined by the combat of their best most technology advanced 5 fighters, this is like a ponzi scheme, all the guild members are working and feeding the top 5 man army, and the guild will disband when those 5 players will leave the game
  • Robinhoodrs wrote:

Remove the following;

1) Blobs in Black Zones
    3) Rep system
    4) Portal lock timers (remove completely to allow free travel without the hassle of being locked to a zone, add payment to travel again?)
    6) Change maps to beta 1 where there was only 2 main routes through the zone (3 if you owned the terri at the centre of the map) and have resources spawn off the road
    8) Guild UI, party UI and general UI improvements such as; allowing alliance pings, customising dots on minimap to different colours to show your leader, your healers, dps, etc

Those are just some of the main things I would LOVE to be added or changed in the game, I started this game when it was catered towards the hardcore PvP player, I loved the game was full loot PvP, open world and was unique. Now after all these years SBI has catered towards baby-proofing this game just like every-other MMO and killing off the core people that first supported their game. I know many people are waiting for the next hardcore PvP full loot MMO to pop-up because Albion has let them down.

It's a shame SBI went that road, they can easily change it back, but we all know they won't as this game is now just another gathering sim with some random PvP thrown in every now and then.
    4,5,7- okay good
    1,2,3,6- maybe you just too bad and want ganking too easy, so git gud
  • letwolf wrote:

Robinhoodrs wrote:

Remove the following;

1) Blobs in Black Zones
    3) Rep system

4,5,7- okay good1,2,3,6- maybe you just too bad and want ganking too easy, so git gud
    Nah I just remember when this was a hardcore PvP game and it was fun as fuck not knowing who or what you'll run into if you see someone on-screen. Now you can scout a team without even seeing the persons body on-screen... let alone actual ZvZ's being played out and not just scouting blobs and then deciding if you want to fight that blob or not without seeing who/what is there.

Some many crybaby gathers ruined this game. :)
    Tired of LAGGING in-game? Try ExitLag;
    Use this LINK & code 'ROBIN' for 20% off any plan!
    youtube.com/c/robinhoodrs
    • Gatherer random loot drops (parts of a pure gatherer mount of that type, like living rock parts, when gathering stone etc.)
    • PvP random loot drops (body parts which can be sold or turned in for special pvp rewards)
    • PvE random- oh wait, we got that
    • Mounts follow your normal movement speed after demounting --> no constant mount jumping when gathering or farming
    • Random open world treasure drops for all activites, which create a map, which can be sold or used to find a personal treasure with good - very good loot
    • Crafting trees get cut (like it was before release), so that crafters have to specialize in one line
    • Crafters get optional skill games when crafting, these reward focus return and some rare chance for a crafter loot drop (iron fragment), which can be turned in for rewards (like pvp random drop rewards)
    • Farming gets a new timer method, so that a player can harvest every 5-15 minutes (marginal) harvest, by doing activities on the land (skill games and combat challenges). Overall more output than passive growing, by active gameplay
    • Return of the Throwing weapon line, with 2h Axe included going by the name of "Archiemdis' Tool"
    • Gatherer dungeons with boss. Solo, 1v1, 1v1v1 etc.)
    • Black Market capped at T5 in all green cities
    • Removal of portals
    • Seasonal islands
    • Gatherer Artifacts
    To name a few, but nothing new .