Albion Online Dev Talk - Roaming Mobs & Luxury Goods

• Albion Online Dev Talk - Roaming Mobs & Luxury Goods

Hey all,

In our forthcoming Lancelot update, one of our goals is to strengthen open-world exploration, particularly for solo players and small groups. To this end, we're introducing two new features: roaming mobs and luxury goods.

In this video, Game Director Robin Henkys discusses these new features in detail:

To read a full summary of his talking points, click here.
    • I haven't had anything negative to say about this game but to how the video represented the roaming mobs, you guys are really going to make it even more annoying to be a gatherer. It's not even going to be worth the effort to continue being a gatherer. I don't go out to gather to kill mobs/creatures every time I come up to a node.

Unless the mobs plan on being passive and only become aggro on contact.
    • KingJokerz schrieb:

I haven't had anything negative to say about this game but to how the video represented the roaming mobs, you guys are really going to make it even more annoying to be a gatherer. It's not even going to be worth the effort to continue being a gatherer. I don't go out to gather to kill mobs/creatures every time I come up to a node.

Less gatherers = more money per resource on AH = more incentive to gather = more gatherers = nothing changed.
      If you don't have the skills nor the will to adapt, that's your thing bud but don't bring everyone else down with you. Try to see the bigger picture. Also, I don't know why everyone feel entitled to have easy and safe gathering session. Stardew Valley seems to be a very suitable game for those looking at that kind of content.
    • It's cool that you have to make new systems to fix problems that you created by not listening. Don't remove harbours it will kill the side towns... don't make the bmah it will kill pve rewards. You really gotta start asking if the content you're making is fun and improving the game because it all just sounds so tedious and short sighted.
    • KingJokerz schrieb:

I haven't had anything negative to say about this game but to how the video represented the roaming mobs, you guys are really going to make it even more annoying to be a gatherer. It's not even going to be worth the effort to continue being a gatherer. I don't go out to gather to kill mobs/creatures every time I come up to a node.

From the article albiononline.com/en/news/devtalk-roaming-mobs-luxury-goods

"While designing this feature, we took great care to balance the aggro ranges and follow distances of these mobs to ensure that, for the most part, they wouldn't impede open-world travel and gathering for those not interested in fighting them."
    • Rolu schrieb:

KingJokerz schrieb:

Less gatherers = more money per resource on AH = more incentive to gather = more gatherers = nothing changed.If you don't have the skills nor the will to adapt, that's your thing bud but don't bring everyone else down with you. Try to see the bigger picture. Also, I don't know why everyone feel entitled to have easy and safe gathering session. Stardew Valley seems to be a very suitable game for those looking at that kind of content.
      Prices probably aren't going to change, it's just going to be gatherers have to put more effort into something that is already the most boring part of the game and you're always going to have people that just want quick silver so the prices are going to stay down. I don't feel entitled to have a safe and easy gathering session, that's why there is a thing called "ganking" which most of Albion sucks at so for players such as myself, gathering is pretty easy. For those that have issues when getting ganked while gathering, this just makes it even harder for them, they have to try to avoid every little mob camp or just adjust to be perma slowed while mounted while a ganker has an easy time.

There's no need to mention another game to play when I clearly haven't had much to complain about in this game. There's always going to be a counter-argument to features in games, no game is too good to be true.
    • Dagother schrieb:

KingJokerz schrieb:

From the article albiononline.com/en/news/devtalk-roaming-mobs-luxury-goods
      "While designing this feature, we took great care to balance the aggro ranges and follow distances of these mobs to ensure that, for the most part, they wouldn't impede open-world travel and gathering for those not interested in fighting them."
      That video literally shows a mob right on top of fiber, that's is some low distance range if that's the case... like 1 space away must be their aggro range.
    • I like it. I'm curious to see how group play will interact with these changes, and if solo roaming in dangerous zones will actually be viable and worthwhile. I really like the luxury goods system, and the announcement is a pleasant surprise! Looking forward to seeing how it boosts inter-city travel.

My only concern is that, for all the player activity it's going to create, it doesn't interact with the Outlands at all. I'm sure mobs there will still drop items, but there won't be any trade that happens within the Outlands itself, and therefore it won't change gameplay for players who are active there. Any items picked up will be transported to Caerleon, but players do that anyway, out of necessity, because there's no infrastructure in Black Zones and no way for players to build equivalent systems.

Can we ever look forward to player-made cities? Or at the very least, player-made markets? Being able to operate a trade outpost or public gathering place in the Outlands (places voluntarily made accessible to all travelers, not just guild or alliance members) would be amazing.
    • So, I seem to be missing something.

What makes roaming mobs different to the current random mob camps?
      Could you not simply add luxury goods to the current mob-camps and maybe increase their variety?

I don't get the idea behind roaming mobs.

Luxury goods "sounds" somewhat interesting, but have to try it out first.
      If those things go as high as millions of value - that's something actually relevant.
    • ZaZii schrieb:

So, I seem to be missing something.

Could you not simply add luxury goods to the current mob-camps and maybe increase their variety?

Don't mind me, just quoting albiononline.com/en/news/devtalk-roaming-mobs-luxury-goods

What are roaming mobs?
      With the Lancelot update, the NPC factions in Albion will become much more active in the open world: instead of being confined only to camps, their scouts, minions, and elites will now roam the open world. These "roaming mobs" are designed to be defeated by solo players or small groups, and those willing to brave the open world to find them will get overall higher rewards than those found in Expeditions. These mobs will vary in rarity and difficulty, from basic scouts to powerful bosses that offer huge amounts of fame and silver.
    • ZaZii schrieb:

My understanding is that roaming mobs will
      1. Be better tuned to solo players, whereas mob camps are balanced more for small groups
      2. Be more plentiful, reducing the empty time walking around looking for mobs, and makes farming them actually viable and worthwhile
      3. Change locations often, making the act of searching for them more interesting
    • Dagother schrieb:

ZaZii schrieb:

Don't mind me, just quoting albiononline.com/en/news/devtalk-roaming-mobs-luxury-goods
      What are roaming mobs?
      With the Lancelot update, the NPC factions in Albion will become much more active in the open world: instead of being confined only to camps, their scouts, minions, and elites will now roam the open world. These "roaming mobs" are designed to be defeated by solo players or small groups, and those willing to brave the open world to find them will get overall higher rewards than those found in Expeditions. These mobs will vary in rarity and difficulty, from basic scouts to powerful bosses that offer huge amounts of fame and silver.
      I watched the video.

They don't sound much different from the random mob camps.

Only that they aren't stationary and instead will "roam"?
      What will that "roaming" include? a small circle within a quarter of a screen, or actual patrols across whole cluster?
      Rarity and Difficulty could get added to those mob-camps, too.

Could've just re-furbished mob-camps with those additional changes instead of selling this as a new feature.
      That's my point.
      Unless, again, I am missing some huge difference between those two.
    • ZaZii schrieb:

Dagother schrieb:

ZaZii schrieb:

Don't mind me, just quoting albiononline.com/en/news/devtalk-roaming-mobs-luxury-goodsWhat are roaming mobs?
      I watched the video.
      They don't sound much different from the random mob camps.

Only that they aren't stationary and instead will "roam"?
      What will that "roaming" include? a small circle within a quarter of a screen, or actual patrols across whole cluster?
      Rarity and Difficulty could get added to those mob-camps, too.

Could've just re-furbished mob-camps with those additional changes instead of selling this as a new feature.
      That's my point.
      Unless, again, I am missing some huge difference between those two.
      I think main point is to prevent adding more mob camps(which is bad for the zone as it fills it with too much trash) or increasing spawn rate(which I think its better not to do it, in order to keep people on the move(whole zone, also keeping players in that particular zone which leads to encounters) rather moving through 4 mob camps back and forth.

So now you have more mobs on top of mobcamps and its viable to do them for a longer peroid of time without downtime.
      But yea, its bascially the same feature, just expanded a bit.

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 3 mal editiert, zuletzt von tabooshka ()

• (NPC/Mob routes everywhere)

Archiemedis schrieb:

Game world seems very static and has always been static.

Would it be possbile to include the follwing things to the current world?

- Groups of Wolves/Animals roam the land in search of their prey (1-20), running thorugh certain zones in a pack an will always choose to attack the larger enemy pack size (starting at 5+ for example) (maybe anti zerg mechnaic here?)
      - Groups of Heretics going to multiple points on a map and wait for adventurers (more lethal skill combinations, like harpoon and stun a player once)
      - Groups of whatever roaming the land
      - Maybe introduce seasons (weekly?), where certain mob groups will get stronger or be lead by the upcoming rare mob, SI wants to introduce (Season of the bear, get ready to die to multistun :D)
      I really hope you will make those mobs actually roaming the maps aka moving around half the map with different, pre made but exchangeable routes.

The idea back then was, to create random encounters in a map, which also feel alive and reactive to situations.

1) The animal pack was envisioned to appear after a trigger event: a) random timer, b) if x mobs are killed in less than y tme, c) seasonal activity, d) ???
      2) NPC mobs using actual group tactics and not just cycle through skills a-b-c

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von Archiemedis ()

• Silks schrieb:

Luxury goods shouldnt be only sold in towns.

We should have blackzone merchants who buy them for even more silver than the city ones.

Thats would boost BZ instead of Royal.

one dead continent at the time, ok?
      And your idea doesnt work because you can be anywhere in the blackzone due to portals :(

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von tabooshka ()

• I like both these additions to the game as they will definitely boost solo exploring and trade between cities, but something Robin mentioned got me thinking about the economic impact of luxury goods in particular...

if you add NPCs who buy specific luxury goods for silver, you are essentially adding another path for silver to enter the game (silver faucet)... what is being done to remove silver from the game (silver sink) to balance this out? I could only think of one thing and that is an increase in repairs due to more combat activity but my initial impression is that significantly more silver would enter the game after the Lancelot update...

or is this intended to push the gold to silver ratio higher to compensate?
      Bank of Albion
      Investments & Third-Party Services
      Contact me via the Forums or Discord: Saya#4434