State of the Studio 2018 and beyond

Diese Seite verwendet Cookies. Durch die Nutzung unserer Seite erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass wir Cookies setzen. Weitere Informationen

• State of the Studio 2018 and beyond

Dear Albion Community,

Albion Online saw a successful release in July 2017.

To get ready for release, during beta testing, our team size almost doubled to more than 50 people.

Now that release is behind us, we are reducing the team size to levels similar to those at the start of pre-release beta testing. 31 people in total, supported by talented freelancers, will constantly improve and expand the game.

This goes hand in hand with our strategy to fully focus on the game’s original core vision: with the release of our Kay update in December, player numbers have stabilized at a high level and continue to grow. Our next update, Lancelot, will continue on this path and is set to release in March, with further updates to come according to our road map.

Kr,
      Stefan
    • Soren_Kierkegaard schrieb:

Silks schrieb:

Sorry but it doesnt make sense.
      If population is growing again why are you firing people?

And yea what would be "game’s original core vision"?
      Because they don't need to work as hard on the game, and they don't need people working full time. But they rather need freelancer when they temporarly need more people to put down more work.
      It is often the case that throwing more people in at a problem, is not always the right solution. Having a smaller group of talented and motivated people who understand the company ideology is often better for quality. There seems to have been some quality issues lately ... sometimes when an organization grows too rapidly, they will end up in a situation where the left hand does not know what right hand is doing and things get messy... (no pun intended.)
      IGN : Ravenar
      Discord : Ravenar#2076
      Trial Keys on Request!
    • Silks schrieb:

Sorry but it doesnt make sense.
      If population is growing again why are you firing people?

And yea what would be "game’s original core vision"?
      In the software world, it is actually proven that if you bring more people to the project, you are going to slow down the project. It just creates more overheads than anything. Books have been written about it in the 70s and are still super true today.

Programming is a bit more complex than working in a fast food restaurant. 1 more employee does not mean X more burgers being flipped.
    • If SBI is going to share that its cutting its staff it seems logical to me that it is a message that things will be slowing down and all will look much like what we have from here on out. Very WYSIWYG really. This may satisfy some, but almost certainly will not satisfy anywhere near most. I could be over thinking things.
    • Raithe schrieb:

If SBI is going to share that its cutting its staff it seems logical to me that it is a message that things will be slowing down and all will look much like what we have from here on out. Very WYSIWYG really. This may satisfy some almost certainly no where near most though. I could be over thinking things.
      I mean there's stuff that you don't need to develop anymore.

reducing your work force by 30% does not mean that you reduce new features by 30%.

You have 10 guys. 3 guys work on the platform, 7 works on feature (3 devs, 4 designers) for example.

The platform is done and optimized and the contract with the 3 platform guys finishes. You let them go.

The 7 other guys can keep working on their features just as much as they did in the past. Nothing changes,
    • Seems a strange announcement. Doesn't show confidence in the game. All I can say once again is please add more content and more dungeons. Give us choice and options rather than being forced down a path which may be good for some but not good for many. Played this game for a long time, showed so much potential but has become unrecognisable from those wonderful early days. It's surely not too late to fix is it?
    • Silk schrieb:

All this instanced X's and Arenas..bring back dungeon variety please! Y'all got lost somehow it seems.
      Multiple entranced donjons with instanced donjons at the dead ends got removed because open world "suffered" from those and now we have more instanced stuff than ever. Bring back Nockmount with the donjon.

PS. Having more donjon layouts for all the donjons would be great. Game could roll a layout from the pool of layouts every daily wipe, so that one wouldn't have to grind the same thing every single day.

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von Nausk ()

• Nausk schrieb:

Silk schrieb:

All this instanced X's and Arenas..bring back dungeon variety please! Y'all got lost somehow it seems.
      Multiple entranced donjons with instanced donjons at the dead ends got removed because open world "suffered" from those and now we have more instanced stuff than ever. Bring back Nockmount with the donjon.
      PS. Having more donjon layouts for all the donjons would be great. Game could roll a layout from the pool of layouts every daily wipe, so that one wouldn't have to grind the same thing every single day.
      I'm going to Shiftshadow, too many peeps ? That's ok I got my Arkag Chasm ... oh nvm .. that's litterally the same dungeon, miles away, in a different biome.
    • Korn schrieb:

Rosalia schrieb:

i just hope fishing is still on the agenda for next patch
      Absolutely yes. It will be part of the Lancelot update. We will share a dev update video about this in the near future.
      Give a man a meme and he will laugh for a day.
      Give a man a fishing rod and he will make memes for the rest of his life!
      Proud owner of the T8 Offhand book Rosalia's Diary. Feel free to pm me once you have your own item named in Albion.
    • This kind of statement is really confusing.

You didnt even give any reason for laying off people, did you?

Did you lay off people, because the workload is smaller now for some reason?
      Did you lay off people, because it is not financially viable to have 50 people on your staff?
      Why would you make a 'transparency' post like this at all?

"Hey guys, we laid of 20 people, about 50% of our previous team. It makes more sense."

... ok why?

" ... "

"I'm going to make a public post about it too."

-

The Albion Wiki needs your help!

-

• Bogul schrieb:

This kind of statement is really confusing.

You didnt even give any reason for laying off people, did you?

Did you lay off people, because the workload is smaller now for some reason?
      Did you lay off people, because it is not financially viable to have 50 people on your staff?
      Why would you make a 'transparency' post like this at all?

"Hey guys, we laid of 20 people, about 50% of our previous team. It makes more sense."

... ok why?

" ... "

"I'm going to make a public post about it too."
      "To get ready for release"
      "Now that release is behind us"

They needed level design team to copy paste everything pre relaease, now thats everything is copy pasted they just let them go and focus on new features.