Tip for new iPad users

• Tip for new iPad users

Hello, welcome to the new iOS Beta.

The way I play on my iPad may be beneficial to you. I’m left handed, it would probably help right handers if the screen rotation was not locked.
    I use a Apple Pencil in my left hand, to move around the screen. Just hold pencil against the screen and move it anywhere you want your character to move. Tap mobs or items to select them. Have my spells on the right edge of my screen, then either use my right thumb or forefinger to cast spells. I’m a T7 Holy healer, and have become pretty good at healing my party. Select party member lifebars with Pencil, then heal spells with right hand. Just takes practice. The hardest problem currently, is healing yourself. You have to first tap your character on screen then heal, or deselect previous target and double click a heal spell to target yourself. If you are solo, you can double click spells to auto target yourself.
  • Good tips, thanks @Zarf

I tried displaying the spells at the bottom, to be more like the PC experience, but I soon realised how much easier it is with them on the side. I guess it doesn't matter if your left or right handed as the spells are only available on the left (or bottom). I thought it might feel off for a right-hander such as myself, being used to casting spells with left (keyboard) and moving/selecting with right (mouse), but it doesn't seem to have had any negative effect.
  • Zarf wrote:

Hello, welcome to the new iOS Beta.

The way I play on my iPad may be beneficial to you. I’m left handed, it would probably help right handers if the screen rotation was not locked.
    I use a Apple Pencil in my left hand, to move around the screen. Just hold pencil against the screen and move it anywhere you want your character to move. Tap mobs or items to select them. Have my spells on the right edge of my screen, then either use my right thumb or forefinger to cast spells. I’m a T7 Holy healer, and have become pretty good at healing my party. Select party member lifebars with Pencil, then heal spells with right hand. Just takes practice. The hardest problem currently, is healing yourself. You have to first tap your character on screen then heal, or deselect previous target and double click a heal spell to target yourself. If you are solo, you can double click spells to auto target yourself.
    Good tips.

It didn't even occur to me to try it with my Apple pencil. lol.
  • Saffiana wrote:

Having also been playing on the iPad Pro I can say that @Zarf is right on point (no pun intended) when it come to using the Apple Pencil. I use mine too. It lets you see more of the screen since your hand isn’t covering it up.
    I tried using my Apple Pencil this weekend. Yeah, it is better. :)

SHARKY wrote:

Good tips, thanks @Zarf

I tried displaying the spells at the bottom, to be more like the PC experience, but I soon realised how much easier it is with them on the side. I guess it doesn't matter if your left or right handed as the spells are only available on the left (or bottom). I thought it might feel off for a right-hander such as myself, being used to casting spells with left (keyboard) and moving/selecting with right (mouse), but it doesn't seem to have had any negative effect.
    You mean on the right, not the left. I've not found a way to place them on the left.

Anyway yeah, they are better on the side. Also, on an iPad Pro 12.9" you can go to 80% on the UI size (desktop) and it gives you even more screen real estate. Even my old man eyesight can still clearly see them. ;)
  • I would love to see the iOS App support an external keyboard. The pencil almost makes the mouse obsolete, at the very least it’s a decent replacement. But having hotkeys and most importantly (for ranged DDs) the ability to cast while canceling movement in cases of misclicks is crucial for position intensive fights. It’s really the only thing that still makes the PC version a bit more reliable during combat.

Oh, and I would love to have the option of switching the orientation of the entire UI, putting the party on the right side and the hotkeys + map on the left side. Playing with a pen in the righ hand makes it much easier for me to select party member with the pen and cast with the left hand.

The post was edited 1 time, last by JohnRandom ().