[10.11.17] Developer Talk - Performance Improvements

• As for me with every update game performance is getting worse, not sure if your pushing your improvements to the live server yet, but it got almost completely unplayable form me recently.
    My computer isn't great, but shortly after release i could easily participate in 60vs60 fights, it was a bit laggy but playable.
    At the moment, for me in 10vs10 laggs are terrible both fps and ping dropping, only after a while it stabilizes but it sometimes takes more time then the entire fight and in 30vs30 it kicks me out of the game ad won't load anymore.
    Even at the beginning of arena fight albion freezes upon 1st contact, luckily it works fine after that, so at least i can play arenas, pretty lucky that game crashes during arena aren't happening often for me, because two of my friends got crashed during our Albion arena masters (not that it affected the outcome of it but still annoying) and several times during regular arena.
    We'v got at average 190 ppl in carleon and it's difficult for me to log back in when i log off there, and never had such problems when there were 390ppl.
    And it's not only me, all my friends that i'v talk with got the same problems, and agree that AO is performing worse with each update.

Recently I'm logging in just to train for AAM as im unable to do anything else in this game anymore.
    For me AAM might be my last activity in Albion, and many ppl from my guild stopped playing because of laggs already.

PS. when you delete my posts, could you at least provide reason for it? Censorship on this forum works according to rules i don't know and don't seem to be written down anywhere.

The post was edited 2 times, last by Okocim ().

• Korn wrote:

digital88 wrote:

So what were those FPS values before and after?
    I saw the demonstration live, if I recall correctly, it was down to 1-2 FPS at times without optimization, and more like 20+ with.
    The difference in-game feels much stronger than what it looks like in the videos.

Also note that we'll continue to optimize further. One thing on our immediate to do list is rubber banding and related issues. It's too early to tell whether improvements on that front will already make it into the game for the Kay update, but we'll keep you posted.

I mean a majority of people desync when in ZvZs. If you only fix half the problem then people that had performance issues from the client side will then just see the performance issues from the server side, and we'll be back at square one.

My point is you cannot push this update through half assed. People will see that nothing was fixed, because they still cannot ZvZ with out lagging, and there will just be more backlash on the forums.
  • Is this a joke?

The castle fight they shown is OK before optimization.

What me and my friends from Europe have is 1-2 sec FREEZES in ZERG fights. YOU CANT DO NOTHING WITH ALL TWEAKS LIKE NAMES OFF, DMG OFF and effects=SELF

I have friends with PC worth 4k EUR and they got app crash on zerg fights.

THIS IS PERFORMANCE PROBLEM. Ive never had that good performance on ZvZ fight like the one in this video. And I have stable 155fps in Overwatch...

I feel like we and developers are playing on different servers.
  • Maybe I should expand on the problem: The netcode in the game cannot seem to handle over 200 players in one zone fighting. Even if the client runs at an acceptable fps (above 30) the server seem to fall behind in sending out information to many clients. As a result, some people experience packet loss, which in this case I refer to as desync.

The issue is if you optimize the client, and not the server you are essentially compounding the server problem. This is because if some people are, in fact, lagging client side they are not sending information to the server, or requesting information from the server. Once they also have an acceptable fps then the load on the server will go up, which means those players getting disconnected from fps issues will just now be getting disconnected from server issues.

Fixing only half of the problem is really fixing nothing at all.
  • for an always-good-approach maybe focus on maximizing the zvz performance for maximum quality settings. which means that if it becomes really easy for a good pc to run zvzs with maximum graphics settings, it will go even better when players are still forced to lower their graphics settings.

see the logic behind that? ultra settings will become good then for zvz, normal settings too and, low settings also. 3 different kinds of pc graphics levels can be fixed for zvzs with one fix, in that way.
    Let's Make Albion Legendary. just somerandom
  • If u need any large scale testing please contact me, can help notify when my guild/alliance will participate in large scale PvP in the open world server, had a few 100vs100 yesterday night and looked relatively alright, can see big improvement from end of beta castle event, however there were many cases of DCs during fights in which the players in the center of the battle were the ones DCing

"He rules the frost therefore he is their king." - God
  • SkuzKabel wrote:

Yesterday, big Zergs for take a plot city : go.twitch.tv/videos/200783080

Can't do anything, can't use skills, can't move...

Well my PC cost 4 month ago 1700€: i7 7700k, GTX 1070, 16 GB RAM, SSD...ETC.

All graphics low, and i had 150 fps, and 140 ping and i couldn't do anything.

Please fix it,really frustating play.
    It is not your computer, it is their server and most probably it is not the servers CPU, Memory or anything. It is the data that is moving from the players and server when too many players send inputs to the server and request outpouts the server gets flooded. If they are not on the highest possible connection of the server then I am afraid they will need to work hard to fix this problem, because they will need to either compress data, or make it smaller and I have no idea how will they do that...
    "Good character is not formed in a week or a month. It is created little by little, day by day. Protracted and patient effort is needed to develop good character." Heraclitus

• That video from Beta 1 Filthwell war some ppl said for that World war in Albion because all albion guilds choose one side and join here maybe 500 maybe 600 maybe more ppl fighting here.. Can u see yes have little ms problem but little we can fight we can move we can use skill..

When beta 1 end and start beta 2 all game lose all optimizated and developers said us -we are idiot- "that not from server or not our code etc" beta 1 no any problem beta 2 - 3 and release trash all optimization but not from albion online developers.. Okey we are idiot we accepted it is because we are still play this game..

But u must ask ur question "why we are losing more active players?" that is ur answered and still u said to us "heyyyooo we are make for game fishing" "heyy collect pumpkin" u soon just play with ur developers this pumpkins or fishing.

LISTEN PLAYERS!!! WE WONT FISHING OR PUMPKIN!!!! we want fixed ur fail and give us good zerg versus zerg.

i dont insult u or swear u i hope u again dont delete my message!
  • Korn wrote:

@glokz That‘s why we are doing these performance improvements. They will hit the live server with the Kay update - they have not been deployed yet.
    Thing is - after your video I am not sure if we have the same level of performance issues.
    What I was trying to say - on your video the game works well before optimization.

If you can confirm you are aware that in reality is not as good, and it will also get much better - I am fine with that,

Please dont fail on that! It's really really important aspect and it should be #1 priority until players are satisfied.
  • With Kay update, will you cap or restrict the use of the local chat? Because when there is a big zerg entering a map with others big zergs, they spam the local chat to spam the players chat and network connection with trash informations. I think that it take a little performance on the client side and server side.

For example, the fight for the neutral city plot in Mercia (idk the guild name that was here before). We know that Zorn claimed the city plot now.

When I came with my guild/alliance on the map, the local channel was full of spam.

I know that it's a network issue, but the chat can be restricted if many people abuse the use of the chat.
  • xplo wrote:

With Kay update, will you cap or restrict the use of the local chat? Because when there is a big zerg entering a map with others big zergs, they spam the local chat to spam the players chat and network connection with trash informations. I think that it take a little performance on the client side and server side.

For example, the fight for the neutral city plot in Mercia (idk the guild name that was here before). We know that Zorn claimed the city plot now.

When I came with my guild/alliance on the map, the local channel was full of spam.

I know that it's a network issue, but the chat can be restricted if many people abuse the use of the chat.
    Yep. I noticed that too and since then i am turnign allc hats off. It is pain in the ass to manualy turn off and turn on chat. Loot messages in ZVZ makes you crash i bet by balls on this. When 40 people day and those hienas coem to loot, there is enormous flood with loot messages and I cant believe how come servers dont die when this happens, so I bet they sue extremely good servers but this little things like loot spam, message spam and such stuff makes client crash...
    "Good character is not formed in a week or a month. It is created little by little, day by day. Protracted and patient effort is needed to develop good character." Heraclitus