Yellow Zone Changes

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Yellow Zone Changes

Albion lost the brutal feel of being scared to walk into another zone in fear for your life and gear. The care bear buff is so stupid, people walk in take your resources in lower gear while you and your buddies wait a minute to flag up and then they see red and leave or fight and take all your gear cause care bears need extra stat bonuses. Sure we could go to one of the 5 red zones that are already taken and give the care bears even more stuff untill the day of the carepocolips. R.I.P. protecting your stuff and open pvp I say remove carebear zones, tired of just farming and having no random gild wars across a zone.
  • Before you complain, perhaps you should come up with some viable alternatives aside from "just get rid of them". Personally I think the yellow zones are important to get people who are not hardcore players (aka the majority of mmo players) into the game, however, I do agree that the current system just doesn't work.

One thing they could do is keep everything exactly how it is BUT make it so you only show up red AFTER you have actually finished that 1 minute flag. Having you show up red before the flag is up makes it nearly impossible to actually get kills.

Likewise the other way to do it would be to not even show the red dots till you actually attack someone. This is similar to the old system, however it's also a lot harder on non-pvpers.

Personally I think my first suggestion would be a good compromise. It makes it obvious that someone is flagging if you actually SEE them, and it gives you a little bit of time to run if they flag out of sight. At the same time, it also gives PvPers a decent chance to kill people, as long as they use good tactics.
  • I would like the whole system to be a bit more realistic. There's is no logical explanation behind being visible to everyone on the map, just because you flagged. It's like moving through enemy territory and actually constantly shouting, giving away your location.

Since I understand the reasons behind having limited pvp zones (they are not even pvp zones anymore tbh) I will not claim that I want the whole flaging system removed. Instead, what could be done is:
    1.Players should be able to flag for PvP instantly (or at least make it 5-10s)
    2.Do not show "red" players on the minimap, instead, either make some kind of warning ping on the map over their general location, or show a warning message that "#number of hostile players are on the map". That should give people that want to avoid a fight enough time to leave the area, and those that want to risk it, get prepared.
    3. Keep the de-flagging time high in order to avoid abuse of the system.
    Grow a beard, they said. Become a man, they said. Don't burn my family and pillage my village, they said.
  • Pain wrote:

I would like the whole system to be a bit more realistic. There's is no logical explanation behind being visible to everyone on the map, just because you flagged. It's like moving through enemy territory and actually constantly shouting, giving away your location.

Since I understand the reasons behind having limited pvp zones (they are not even pvp zones anymore tbh) I will not claim that I want the whole flaging system removed. Instead, what could be done is:
    1.Players should be able to flag for PvP instantly (or at least make it 5-10s)
    2.Do not show "red" players on the minimap, instead, either make some kind of warning ping on the map over their general location, or show a warning message that "#number of hostile players are on the map". That should give people that want to avoid a fight enough time to leave the area, and those that want to risk it, get prepared.
    3. Keep the de-flagging time high in order to avoid abuse of the system.

I actually really like that second suggestion. Combine that with not getting pinged till you finish flagging (keep the 1 minute flag time so people don't just run up, flag, and attack) and I think the yellow zones would be far superior to how they are currently.
  • To be fair, since the community tends to whine/complain pretty fast about things they don't like, it seems they actually like the new system as it stands. Or are far too busy to comment on it. Or the carebears have already set their secret, evil plan in motion, slowly taking over the world!
    Grow a beard, they said. Become a man, they said. Don't burn my family and pillage my village, they said.
  • My problem is with the 25% buff. I'd rather that you just put a tier cap on yellow zones. For example a zone could max out at tier 5 so even if you were carrying a t8 weapon it would in effect be a t5 in that zone. This way people who are lower tier would feel more confident that they can handle themselves in a particular zone.
  • Qweniden wrote:

My problem is with the 25% buff. I'd rather that you just put a tier cap on yellow zones. For example a zone could max out at tier 5 so even if you were carrying a t8 weapon it would in effect be a t5 in that zone. This way people who are lower tier would feel more confident that they can handle themselves in a particular zone.

mmmmm not sure how hard that would be to code and how they would display it. Might work though.
  • Qweniden wrote:

My problem is with the 25% buff. I'd rather that you just put a tier cap on yellow zones. For example a zone could max out at tier 5 so even if you were carrying a t8 weapon it would in effect be a t5 in that zone. This way people who are lower tier would feel more confident that they can handle themselves in a particular zone.

doesn't sound that bad...or in a t5 zone let them have the equivalent stats of a t6 wep in case they decide to reduce that 20% gear difference
  • So basically the ideal system hashed out so far is thus:

Green Zones: No PvP

Yellow Zones: Limited PvP
    -T5 weapon cap (or perhaps even t4 or t3) (even if you have a higher tier the damage/armor will be capped out at T5/T4/T3)
    - 1 minute PvP-flag (you can move while turning this on)
    -When a PvP flag is turned on it displays a zone notification and pings the general area of the flag (optionally every 30 seconds or so it re-pings the location)
    -5 minute de-flagging time. If you enter a new zone it will instantly display the notification and ping

Red Zones: No-Limit PvP
  • A constant ping might be a bit much.

To be fair, de-grading the tier of a high-tier weapon/armor to just tier5 in yellow zones is just going to frustrate people. Imagine having spent a boatload of resources and time in order to craft your brand new shinny Tier 8 armor, then having to walk through a yellow zone wearing it. You get ganked by a bunch of tier 4 guys, you have no chance to fight back cause your armor is dropped to tier 5 status and you lose it. Will someone in tier 8 travel all alone through yellow zones? Unlikely, but it may happen. The PvP system should be fair to everyone, not take the side of the "weak" at all times. After all, the strong worked hard to reach the higher tiers, there's no meaning into "punishing" them.

We've got to look at this from every possible perspective before making any suggestions (which may in fact be all disapproved :P)
  • >mmmmm not sure how hard that would be to code and how they would display it.

Right now when you go into a PvP zone there is a dialog box that confirms that you want to go in. That same message could be expanded to include something like "This is a Level 4 cluster. No weapon can do more than T4 level damage" or something to that effect.
  • I have to agree that AO has become a LOT more carebear-esh (hate this term but its true) this alpha...

*u dont actually "die" when killed by mobs
    *true, u lose durability every time u get knocked out by mobs, but ur gear dont turn into trash, u might argue by saying that u cant use ur gear under 9 durability..... but fixing is now way easier/cheaper....
    *having to "flag" to actually kill ppl in yellow zones (I loved the old system where u get a debuff when u attack ppl in yellow.....without having to wait for the "flag")

I really loved the old death/pvp system (even tho I dont do much pvp.) but now everything feels so ....safe.

Dont really wana be the one that bitches about everything.....but come on SI.....
    May you find your strength through honor and trust.

Join us

The genesis empire

The post was edited 1 time, last by Shogun ().

• Korn wrote:

Hi BaconPanda,

just to avoid any misunderstanding: you can just flag yourself for PvP before going into a PvP cluster, this way, you do not have any delays and can attack everyone you encounter.

Al the best,
    Korn

I think his point is that if you have a guild plot in a yellow zone and someone comes and harvests "your" zone for mats it's nearly impossible to kill them. You would have to run all the way out of the zone, flag, run back and PERHAPS manage to catch them. It's possible but a lot harder than it should be
  • Indeed you can. Since you are visible throughout the zone though, you can't actually take anyone by surprise and you can't travel alone since you'll be pretty much zerged into oblivion once you step foot outside your plot.

What people are trying to say is that if you happen to see someone right next to you and you are not PvP flagged, the current system is actually warning him that you are going to attack him. If you move off screen in order to flag, he can still see you are flagging on the minimap. That results in almost no PvP in yellow zones, other than zerg vs zerg.
  • Korn wrote:

Why, you can just be PvP flagged all the time. Or am I missing something?

A valid point, however that also means that your a big red dot on the mini-map everywhere you go.

Tbh, I really like the idea of a general ping on the map when a player turns PvP or a PvP flagged player enters a zone. It's less obvious then the big red dots but still gives people gathering in the area a heads up.