Lymhurst is Dead

• merging the markets in all the cities is not the solution as this would kill trading/arbitrage as a viable career choice, it would be better to re-work black zone access so that it's not limited to Caerleon!
    Bank of Albion
    Investments & Third-Party Services (ROFLMAO)
    Contact me via the Forums or Discord: Saya#4434
  • Saya wrote:

merging the markets in all the cities is not the solution as this would kill trading/arbitrage as a viable career choice, it would be better to re-work black zone access so that it's not limited to Caerleon!
    Well back in the day the map was just that way .... then they elected to rework the whole thing and well it hasn't really been the same since ~
    ~ Hohoz ~
  • Hohohz wrote:

Saya wrote:

merging the markets in all the cities is not the solution as this would kill trading/arbitrage as a viable career choice, it would be better to re-work black zone access so that it's not limited to Caerleon!
    Well back in the day the map was just that way .... then they elected to rework the whole thing and well it hasn't really been the same since ~
    This. It would be nice to return to the previous design. Or at least add the previous black zones access. Cities were much alive back then, and it was nice to have guilds based on different cities, that was an aspect of the game that I liked. Now it's everything about caerleon. Also I miss some cities in the black zone, even if they were kinda empty.

Gryffyth:Toma tu arma y síguenos en discord.gg/ktrNXWN
  • Skitted wrote:

They should let us decide where to place cities... scatter some 'Cityplots' all over the world, let Alliances fight over the plots not the city itself...ok, won't happen but cool to dream about.
    It's shameful because apparently the Beta playerbase and even after release, have repeatedly told the Devs all of this, and they never listened, and seem not to be listening now.

The whole 'funnel' everybody through Caerleon is such a bad, bad game design. I can't believe they're still doing it.
  • UnGarsQuiBricole wrote:

Midgard wrote:

Midgard wrote:

The instanced bank and market should be removed from all royal cities and revert them back to how it was before. There is simply no need for them now.
    Its like I give the command and the devs make it happen ;)
    Just to be certain, you do know the change was on the test sever days before you hinted about it here?
    Just to be certain, you do know what a joke is right?
    Midgard
    T8 Fibre, Ore, Hide, Wood & Stone Gatherer
    T8 Gathering Gear Crafter
    T8 Bags & Capes Crafter
  • Theat wrote:

Skitted wrote:

They should let us decide where to place cities... scatter some 'Cityplots' all over the world, let Alliances fight over the plots not the city itself...ok, won't happen but cool to dream about.
    It's shameful because apparently the Beta playerbase and even after release, have repeatedly told the Devs all of this, and they never listened, and seem not to be listening now.
    The whole 'funnel' everybody through Caerleon is such a bad, bad game design. I can't believe they're still doing it.
    I hope the devs are brave enough to go back to the previous design (or a new one inspired by that), and I say "brave" because that's what take to admit a mistake. That IS the solution to make other cities in the royal continent relevant again. Really, guilds based on differents cities were something nice, added a lot of diversity to the game.

Gryffyth:Toma tu arma y síguenos en discord.gg/ktrNXWN
  • Sephora wrote:

Humm... the instanced bank and auction house is now removed from fort sterling. did we lose that many players?
    yes. 90% normal players leave this troll game.

Game where should be risk vs revard. 90% PK its use total shity sets and make group. Any risk only revard.
    Game with long grind where 3 total noobs morons in group without battle fame in sets T4 can kill you very easy.
    Game where PvE is total shit. A few dungs where everybody try steal chest and bosses.

Toxic game for trolls so many players try find some other game. In this game you can be only total dishonorable shit because only this is profitable.
  • Drake_IronHeart wrote:

The only solution I could see to make these cities viable to be used again is maybe make them be able to be connected to the same market as Caerleon, have a wide spread market, get rid of the individual markets, everyone can live in which ever town they want, not be forced to live in Caerleon if they want to deal in that market,

bad doctor who pretend to save but in fact commiting murder :/
    IGN: LewdPriest
  • I've been observing the player counts while naked teleporting around the royal island...

It seems Lymhurst has seen a big surge in residents and as of last weekend, is tied for most populous outer city with Bridgewatch!
    Bank of Albion
    Investments & Third-Party Services (ROFLMAO)
    Contact me via the Forums or Discord: Saya#4434

The post was edited 1 time, last by Saya ().

• Since this thread opened I have been monitoring the cities for the "personal benefits". Mostly also for the following:

- Market prizes
    - City plot activities,
    - City plot % tax
    - Open city plots
    - Surrounding blue and yellow activities
    - In town "Peak" hours.

Here is the conclusion:
    - Lymhurst has a very specific time zone that affects a specific crowd. It took me a while to see when "Peek" is for Lymhurst is.

- The market is actually "active". I wasn't expecting this after testing it with Fort Sterling and Martloc. Bridgewatch on the other hand is in a class of its own for reasons. The same goes for Thetford.

Too prove my point I decided to take an ox and ran it to Lymhurst, got some wood and make a run too Fort Sterling to cash in some good profit. Then made a run back with some ore and made another 10% Profit. Then made a run back to Fort again with some t4 and t5 Leather armor and again made 15% profit. So the market in that sense is "active" not dead.

However the thing that bug me was the prices for the city plots. Its not really something I would infest in there tbh due to people not really using them there. (Yes I walked around to see if people really use them there. Not really anything happening there. But that said, none of the players there were keen on selling their plot either. (Not the ones I spoke too any way). That made things a bit odd and did not add up. But lets leave it there.

Now here comes the kicker. The area around it, is by far more empty than other blue and yellow zones. I could farm t4 and t5 wood for days without any stranger bugging me or steeling my trees. Even the red zone was somewhat "quiet". Just a constant killing of Direwolf as was expected. But other than that, I can gather in peace tbh.

The so called peak times for the town like I mentioned is very special. I can really pin point an exact time but from time to time (not over the weekend funny enough)´there were 100 + people in there. Personally I think its people that's just coming by to look at Prizes or people after dying at a close near dungeon that pressed the wrong button but thats just me.

So the conclusion. Lymhust is quieter that the other towns by far, but its market is somewhat interesting.
  • So lets start.

As previously: My analyze is based on the following.

- Market prizes
    - City plot activities,
    - City plot % tax
    - Open city plots
    - Surrounding blue and yellow activities
    - In town "Peak" hours.

Just a note: Thedfort I'm going to leave for last because its a very "odd" City.

Looking at Bridgewatch as I mentioned is in a class of its own like Caerleon.

Reason for this is the following:
    - It has the most collapsing market of all of the other cities. Sometimes it works and sometimes no one buys anything and you'll see a massive drop in almost anything. When I mean drop, I mean like (as an example I saw) t4 refined leather goes for 2 silver a peace. That kind of drop. (Although it does not happen that often but it does drop to silly prices.

- Its the City with the most ganking potential. I mean I stopped counting the times I was ganked in the Yellow and Red zones close to Bridgewatch. People go there to practice ganking. Its silly but it also makes sense.

- Outside of Martloc and Fort Sterling, it has a very healthy Blue zone imo. I always have to fight to get t2 leather there. The thing that's stands out is the fact that the Blue Hellgates there are mostly occupied. In no other city you will see this as far as my analysis goes.

- Like the market there, it has the worst guessed population. Some days I will go there and there will be only 10 ppl, then after an hour of just running resources up to Caerleon and back and there will be 200 all of a sudden. All in all its a "yoyo" City. But that is why is my favorite one off all the "Blue Cities".

Down to plots and normal business there, It can not be compared to Cities like Lymhurst, Fort Sterling or Martloc, because the City plots there as far as usage goes is stable. Even the taxes are reasonable. So I cant really complain there. (It could be that I need to have another look at it after the city plot bidding is over because most of them are going to change after this week.) But from past auctions I've seen here, the ownership in Bridgewatch is going to stay more or less the same. So I hope any way.

The following 2 Cities I'm putting in one category due to some similarities in my observation: Martloc and Fort Sterling.
    (Just a side note, by some Doomsday Prophet Martloc took a population drop but I think the city should be back to normal within the next 30 days or so, even less)

- Any how, Outside of Caerleon, these 2 Cities have the most healthiest market (or of the Items I have tested any way) (for the goofys out there, it was Stone, wood ore and armor up too tier 5. T6 and higher it sort of odd and I cant put my finger on it :P)

- The city Population is more or less the same for both outside like I mentioned Martloc taking a doomsday knock. Outside of that, both are mostly active and I see a lot of bigger guilds doing shout outs for hiring people from there. This in my eyes is what these cities were meant to be and its working well thus far.

- The city Plots auction has started this week for both so I cant really say anything on it now. But from the last 30 days I have to say the prizes when up on taxes that was really alarming. I think in both these city's they followed on the trend that was going on in Caerleon. But it could also be that some of them didn't make their money back. (My birdies have spoken). Also seeing t7 buildings in these 2 towns is a good indication that the market is still flowing. But Martloc lost all their Potion stations that could cause some issues to the market.

- The surrounding Blue and yellows are the only real big difference between the 2 cities. The yellow HG's in Martoc is always occupied (when I'm there any way) and the fight to get any resource (stone and ore wise) is still a battle, even though were are how long after release. Ganking is still a thing but they are timed with the chest/relic locker. so outside of those its not really a thing.
    In Fort sterling the blue hot spot is somewhat buzzy but the yellow are sort of dead. I do see the odd person gathering there and I know that T7 gatherers like doing a 30 Min power gathering action now and then there, but even when I do a t4 and t5 run close near by, its almost empty. Just the path to Caerleon from Fort is deadly. That much I think everyone knows.

Now to the odd one in the packet: Thedfort

For me this was suppose to be the old Queens, but it never became that. Now its what I call the Brazilian power house.
    Due to the time zone of the City, the peak hours for it is really really late. I mean, gathering there late at night (EU time zone) is an absolute waste of time. Just because of this reasons I have little to know information that can help anyone establishing a foundation of useful information:

- The cite during "Normal hours" seems to be dead. I mean seeing 5 ppl there is a miracle. But come peak for them and the place is flooded. Even the close near by dungeons are filled to the broom. But like I mentioned, LATE ate night.

- To the city plot I don't want to lie I have no information what so ever. So I cant really say anything to that. I wish I did but Finding anyone there to talk to about the plot situation is very hard.

- The market is a special one: Mornings don't try and pull something here because most things as far as I checked (standard stuff like potions, food and raw materials close near by) have odd pricing. Its as if these guys life in another world far far away from AO.
    Later in the evenings it gets normal and I have done some trips from Thedfort to Fort Sterling selling some cloth. It was well worth the trips as I got 25% more. But don't count on it every time. I also did not try to do a run from Thedfort to Martloc I haven't tried yet but from what I see it should be worth the run.

- The surrounding Blue areas is kind of a mess. There isn't really a short cut to Caerleon so you're mostly restricted to business with the cities around you. That said it has access to the most dungeons. But with those dungeons you have a massive risk waiting for you as the solo dungeons are one of the most adrenaline rushing ones currently in the game. Yes, its solo ones but the amount of solo gankers that comes in there makes for some fun small scale battles (I've been in a couple and they are a must try). Also the dungeons on that side in general are filled with PKers. Not in a bad way if you get use to them. (I am aware that these dungeons are literally closer to Martloc than to Thedfort , but its easier to access for me from Thedfort)
    The Hotspots close near by are actually more player friendly than most people would think and they are buzzy, both the t4 cloth one and the t6 one. (This might change after I post this :P)
    All in all the City might look like a sleeper but the real players from Thedfort will know that the action there starts late.

- there is a reason why I put this City last, because I hate the Biome and I hate the time zone. But everything else is a dream there. Outside of Caerleon its a must visit place. (Considering we don't have that many Cities any more. I really hope they add new ones in the future.)

Just a Side Note that is very important and I hope one of the defs try and read this with as much passion as I have taken to write this. We need more "unique" Cities. We get it, You want to expand with new things and new motives. But players like me like the scenery and we like to travel and see what there is to do in AO. The Problem is the Zerging in the black zones that makes everything look so small. The posted something really interesting lately that they want to bring more Solo things. But its still on a zone with massive Zergs. Things like I have done here (Observation and monitoring for Market pocket money) would not be possible there.

Any way. I hope you all enjoyed the read and hope this helps.

PS: Sorry for the spelling errors I missed. Did not have the time to check everything thoroughly.

Also Note, This is for fun. I don't care about the doom prophets and I don't care how badly people blame the defs for a bad game design. I just like playing the game.
  • Wow, thanks @Kclikola for writing this down - great city report. As I don't travel cities for trade, thanks for sharing some insides I didn't think of.

I think it would be good if you structured the text with City headlines, bold sections (like Market, PvP, Dungeons, Timezone) etc. to make it easier to read, compare the cities and to look up things.

Otherwise, great read and I am really interested how it develops.

Cheers,
    Skitted