Arena is kind of pointless?

  • Arena is kind of pointless?

    I mean, it is good for some 5v5 PvP training but other than that there is no reward beside some cosmetic trinkets. Might as well play LoL if you want a proper MOBA with no persistence. So people whining about this taking away from "real world PvP" (which currently is 99% ganking) can relax. People will get bored and the lack of rewards will make it pointless and a month down the line I don't see anyone queuing for arenas.
  • Mardonius wrote:

    I mean, it is good for some 5v5 PvP training but other than that there is no reward beside some cosmetic trinkets. Might as well play LoL if you want a proper MOBA with no persistence. So people whining about this taking away from "real world PvP" (which currently is 99% ganking) can relax. People will get bored and the lack of rewards will make it pointless and a month down the line I don't see anyone queuing for arenas.
    Or they'll add more rewards because people like you will whine for better rewards. At some point in the near future, SBI will go from cosmetics towards real rewards, finishing what they begun. This game will have become a fully instanced game with no need for open world.

    AO will then have the distinction of becoming the first Open World PvP MMO to have no Open World PvP in it.
  • Mardonius wrote:

    I mean, it is good for some 5v5 PvP training but other than that there is no reward beside some cosmetic trinkets. Might as well play LoL if you want a proper MOBA with no persistence
    are you 14?

    LOL took 5+ years to develop...

    Arena has been out 1 day...

    They will add more arena maps and changes and tweaks and rewards...

    use your brain for once...
  • Captainrussia wrote:

    Mardonius wrote:

    I mean, it is good for some 5v5 PvP training but other than that there is no reward beside some cosmetic trinkets. Might as well play LoL if you want a proper MOBA with no persistence
    are you 14?
    LOL took 5+ years to develop...

    Arena has been out 1 day...

    They will add more arena maps and changes and tweaks and rewards...

    use your brain for once...
    BUT HE WANTS HIS OOMPA LOOMPA NOWWWWWW!!!!!!! ;)
  • I agree, more strictly cosmetic rewards would be nice. But as someone pointed out, give them some time.

    My concern is that there isn't much reason to do the arena often. I'll do it to earn my sigils and no more. Wins should give 1 sigil a piece, with a similar max per day or something. The way it is now is... uninspiring.
    May our loots never be trashed, and our gears never be looted!
  • they should have add mmr or proper ranking system as they mention and not this shit thing that counts just how many win you made so someone that play 1000000000000 and won 101 arena will be on the top of the guy that play 100 games and won all 100 this fucking shit . They mention arena ranking to promote arena and people to resub and there is no proper ranking system anywhere this is fucking scum made so many people resub and find this useless thing of arena instead
  • Agree.
    Currently AO have any activity to be rewarded.
    Whatever you do, you getting fame or wealth on success.
    Even duels offer you to set wager before you start!
    IMHO Arena should not be an exception.
    My suggestion is to add some minimal PvE fame gain to winners, calculated to be less then you may have in expeditions in same time invested.
    @Korn @Monochrome

    PS. Or wager, where minimal bet of all match participants will be used =)
    WTB skill

    The post was edited 4 times, last by gmatagmis ().

  • Brudal wrote:

    If a dude can get BILLIONS of fame just harvesting his damn carrots why i cant have some fame for fighting other ppl for 15 minutes?! This is not fair IMHO
    The fame you get from carrots only improves your carrot skill and your adventurer skill and nothing else. The fame you get from PvP outside Arenas only improves your adventurer skill and nothing else.

    In other words you do not get any useful fame from PvP, PvP fame is just for bragging rights.
  • Elarahis wrote:

    In other words you do not get any useful fame from PvP, PvP fame is just for bragging rights
    If this is indeed the case then there is no reason for SBI not to include this in Arena fights. Ppl generally don't invest time in any type of action that there is no advancement or gain from doing...Arena is pointless in it's current format. Apparently there is SOMETHING SBI can do to make this have meaning without upsetting the non-existent balance of the game when it comes to OWPvP, HG's, GvG etc...
  • Vampirian wrote:

    Elarahis wrote:

    In other words you do not get any useful fame from PvP, PvP fame is just for bragging rights
    If this is indeed the case then there is no reason for SBI not to include this in Arena fights. Ppl generally don't invest time in any type of action that there is no advancement or gain from doing...Arena is pointless in it's current format. Apparently there is SOMETHING SBI can do to make this have meaning without upsetting the non-existent balance of the game when it comes to OWPvP, HG's, GvG etc...
    Exactly. PvE expeditions give both fame and silver. There is no reason for Arenas not to do the same. Currently there is no easy way to get fame in PvP and yes I am considering HGs. They take too long to organise and there is no guarantee that once you find one, you will be able to get in. And every death causes 10% item damage which means that after a few deaths you have to go back to town to repair, causing even more downtime.

    This game needed an easily accessible PvP content and Arena was supposed to be it. But with no rewards it is effectively useless as I rather just play LoL if I want to do some meaningless MOBA.
  • Elarahis wrote:

    Brudal wrote:

    If a dude can get BILLIONS of fame just harvesting his damn carrots why i cant have some fame for fighting other ppl for 15 minutes?! This is not fair IMHO
    The fame you get from carrots only improves your carrot skill and your adventurer skill and nothing else. The fame you get from PvP outside Arenas only improves your adventurer skill and nothing else.
    In other words you do not get any useful fame from PvP, PvP fame is just for bragging rights.
    A toned-down system of fame gaining like expedition? It's asking too much?
  • Brudal wrote:

    I can understand the resons behind the no fame in arenas but... Cmon! This is a sandbox!

    If a dude can get BILLIONS of fame just harvesting his damn carrots why i cant have some fame for fighting other ppl for 15 minutes?! This is not fair IMHO

    The devs don't want people to live in the arenas but there is a simple solution for this, you just get fame for the first, say, 3-5 matches. You have some fun, you get some minor rewards, you get some fame, done.

    I think this will happen along with a better ranking system. So not gonna get 'outraged' just yet. Really, overall this game needs 3 more months of tweaking and content additions before it will feel like it is not still in Beta. Then another 3 months before it feels reasonably complete. This is not shocking, it was launched earlier than most MMOs would have launched but we've all been there when a game is really not done for a good year after it has released. I can think back on WAR, very fun PvP and many cool ideas that have been cloned ever since, but overall it was lacking in a number of areas for at least a year.