A modest proposal to fix red zones.

• A modest proposal to fix red zones.

Hi SBI,

Red Zones were supposed to be dangerous areas where people would progress from the Blue-Yellow zones of "low risk, low rewards" to more "higher risk, higher reward". Sort of the real stepping stone to the chaos of black zones, a place where smaller groups and solo-duo players could find PvP without getting zerged constantly. As it stands, however, red zones' resources are mined on cooldown (at least, around Caerleon), there's gatherers running around on oxes, I almost never see any hostile (unless they're 5 and about to start a HG) and whenever there's a few hostiles, a blue zerg spawns to kill them. Now, I don't mind the latter per se, I just think some changes need to be made to bring back a sense of real danger to red zones. Imo, the issue is three-fold.

1)The reputation system needs to be revamped. As it stands, people who flag lose way too much reputation per kill. Lower that down to more reasonable numbers and allow flagged players to roam the red zones once more.

2)People who attack flagged players should become "Temporarily Flagged". If you don't know what TF is, go near a HG or inside a territory in red zones. My experience in red zones has been that as soon as a few brave souls flag up and rack up a kill, they get zerged by an ever expanding pug group who risks little, most of them split across 3-4 groups. Flagging them in return would force them to face a bit of risk.

3)People who loot bodies should become Temporarily Flagged. I never thought I'd see that, but there's tons of players in the red zones around Caerleon who just go around following zergs following a few flagged guys and rush to loot bodies. Imo, doing so should flag you temporarily.

Pretty simple, truly. Just a few basic changes to encourage more PvP, discourage riskless zerging and bring some danger back to red zones.
  • Rokov wrote:

The only problem in red zone is blue zergs which hunts red flagged players. Not even one of your statements solve that issue, but your statements adds a lot of zerg possibilities in red zone, which will kill solo and duo content there.
    My #2 and #3 literally address the issue of blue zergs. If you've seen blue zergs in red zones, you know that they attack because of opportunity and lack of risk. They're not organized, nor are they part of the same group. What do you think will happen when they start "temporarily flagging" as soon as they hit a flagged person? You'll get other blue guys attacking them. In turn, this'll discourage opportunistic cowards from ever attacking flagged people (because they literally don't want to flag ever), which should encourage flaggers.

None of my points add "more" zerg possibilities, unless you consider that I want more red flagged people. Which I do. Red Zones are devoid of them.
    1-2 persons stay flagged. Other part of zerg stay in 1 screen away. Some blue group kill that guys and then zerg appears and kills that small group. There are a lot of possibilities to bait for flagged person and then zerg down any group.
    GG, zerg won again.
  • Happy as they are, you flag up, you get killed by blue's, you die to pk, you lose your gear. Don't see the point in changing. I have been killed in red zones and black zones many times. Red zones are just as dangerous, and probably lull people into a false sense of security. People who are flagged up in red zones should expect to be hunted and killed by blue zergs, that's the enjoyment and match up of the game.
    [img]http://www.auplod.com/u/doaulp9c4e4.png[/img]
  • Ulfnaor wrote:

2)People who attack flagged players should become "Temporarily Flagged". If you don't know what TF is, go near a HG or inside a territory in red zones. My experience in red zones has been that as soon as a few brave souls flag up and rack up a kill, they get zerged by an ever expanding pug group who risks little, most of them split across 3-4 groups. Flagging them in return would force them to face a bit of risk.

This would just not work at all. You would just see chaos and everyone would be flagged or no one would attack the reds at all in fear of being flagged, thus leading to rampant PKing.

The life of a PKer in a red zone (bearing in mind this is still an entry level PVP zone), should be hard as it is imo.
  • As long as the Devs dont create incentive for Solo or Duo PVP there will be zergs period.

weather they are in BZ or red zone flagged or not

The only time i condone zergs is when there is a nature staff running about because almost no builds can counter them/ and if they do they will die to all other builds in 1v1
  • They must create incentive to fight in smaller groups or solo.
    making it easier to dismount people
    reduce damage and fame when in a group of people who are Friends/guild/alliance/partied/ or have played together recently(shared kills in the kill board should trigger this)
    lowering the zerg dot numbers could help... but its easy to get around.
    create higher trash rates for larger numbers especially mats, 50% mats should trash always
  • trashing mats brings me to another point. the gathering lings in buildings, i dont like them.
    the players should be getting all the mats, if when killing players you trash their mats, eventually
    gatherers will become more valuable because mats are not making it to market as often, people would even have incentive to guard collectors if it were to be valuable to have mats ... right now mats are so cheap because everyone can get them including PKs

unless i am wrong its 10% mat loss right now.

Sorry for short posts some bug in my forum account stops longer posting.... i reported it and heard nothing back
  • Red Zone = Friendly zergs of nice guys protecting friendly gatherers from beeing raped by killing assholes. Why are you whining if you do the same/is done in BZ constantly?
    Black zone = Asshole zergs killing everything on sight(except other asshole zergs, there is no loot to be gained from this type PvP, u see....) and raping gatherers and then wondering why BZ are dead.

truth be told, i would really love it if some of the black zones would be converted to yellow and red.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Jochum ().

• Red zone ganking done properly is VERY lucrative. Just me and two other friends doing red zone ganking made over 25mil in two days.

I understand why the reputation lose is so harsh, you can make insane profit in the red zone, MUCH more than the black zone.

What I'd suggest is letting player pay a decent amount of silver to pay to decrease your reputation if you don't want to grind it out. I'd be happy to pay 100k per 10k negative reputation. It's an easy silver sink they can implement also.

At the moment I have 3 alts with anywhere from -21k to -48k reputation that I have to cycle between for red zone ganking...
  • ITT: lots of carebears whining that things should actually be easier.

Targun wrote:

Just go to BZ and stop whining...
    Hi, I already mostly live in BZ. I'm happy to see a 32k PvP fame guy giving his input on PvP, though.

Jochum wrote:

Red Zone = Friendly zergs of nice guys protecting friendly gatherers from beeing raped by killing assholes. Why are you whining if you do the same is done in BZ constantly?
    Black zone = Asshole zergs killing everything on sight(except other asshole zergs, there is no loot to be gained from this type PvP, u see....) and raping gatherers and then wondering why BZ are dead.

truth be told, i would really love it if some of the black zones would be converted to yellow and red.
    I bet you'd.

Hell, let's just convert all to blue.