1h Cursed Staff viability?

• 1h Cursed Staff viability?

Hello there!

I'm currently T4, playing as mage/warlock since the beginning, using the 1-Handed Curse Staff, the one that activates the Death Curse skill.

My question is, is this build viable? I hardly see any build using this staff, using the E skill that it gives, is it viable in PVP?, or only PVE?

Plus, what about the armor? I was thinking about getting using the T-VI leather mercenary armor which the CD reduction passive skills. Which would give the E a great use.

It'd we something like this for a T-5 build.

--> 1-Hand Curse Staff - Leather Build
  • 1h Curse is strong, and has great synergy with a Bloodletter. Your big burst -> his execute = dead target.

I'm not a fan of the rest of the build though. You need some defensive cooldowns, and more defenses in general.

Maybe swap a shield for your off-hand. Cleric hood for iceblock, or soldier helm for block.

Chest is fine, but you're going to want that inferno shield ability.
    "Let the world know that I plan to die."
  • Dulu wrote:

1h Curse is strong, and has great synergy with a Bloodletter. Your big burst -> his execute = dead target.

I'm not a fan of the rest of the build though. You need some defensive cooldowns, and more defenses in general.

Maybe swap a shield for your off-hand. Cleric hood for iceblock, or soldier helm for block.

I think this is the one I like it most, i thought about the shield many times. I'll give it try. I'll go for the cleric hood though.

About the chest skill, the inferno shield skill should be used for pvp and bloodlust probably for PVE?

Too much leather.

Kclikola wrote:

Here is a more stable build that is more stable long run.

albiononline.com/en/characterbuilder/solo-builds/view/12265

I chose leather cuz the CD passives, maybe all leather is too much. Using the build you told I lose all the CD i wanted and the curse staff i've been playing till now.
  • Maui wrote:

I chose leather cuz the CD passives, maybe all leather is too much. Using the build you told I lose all the CD i wanted and the curse staff i've been playing till now.
    The CDR is not the issue. Its the mana costs. So yes, you can punch out those spells, but your mana will run out and you dont do as much damage as a Cursed player should do.

I would recommend that you use the correct food for cdr and try out a bit more cloth.
  • The biggest flaw I found with cursed staff is the long cooldown on dots, even with omelette and mistcaller. You can't play the normal warlock style, go around and dot everybody, because the cooldown is way too long and duration too short.

As it stands right now with warlock, you can attack only two targets, dot one, dot the other, dot the first, dot the second, dot the first, dot the second, and if you get interrupted or lazy then you lose your dots and damage.

It's just a bad design right now.

Only thing worthwhile in Curse staff right now is the AOE heal debuff spell. Nothing else is viable, unfortuantely.

Even the Nature Staff poison dot is better than curse staff dot!!!!!!!!
  • Dulu wrote:

Almost every top GVG team runs with a curse mage. Mine included.

That's Nilfgaard A-team vs. Exploited A-team, both running Curse mages.

Albion really needs an "Arena Junkies" style forum, where people who are garbage aren't even allowed to respond - only ask questions.
  • If u playing solo 1 h curse can be viable I would switch out your helm for hunters and take the retaliate skill , leave the self heal on chest and take soldiers plate boots with wanderlust . It's a build I use when gathering leather and the amount of times I have been attacked and come out the victor was quite funny . Learning other people's big hits and when they will use them is handy especially with your retaliate . Also popping retaliate gives u time to cast death curse and get your stacks of vile curse up , while wanderlust ensures u csn either get away or catch runners who failed a gank . I would perhaps choose other setups for groups play as others have suggested
  • I make, and craft, 1h Cursed Staves and I'm seriously considering switching. I'm just waiting to see how badly Frost is nerfed, and how much Arcane is buffed before picking a direction.

I don't really pvp, although I understand that Death Curse is laughably easy to avoid by either purging or popping your invuln skill right before it goes off. For pve, though, the staff is very hit and miss.

As other's have pointed out, you can't actually keep multiple targets DOTed thanks to the high cooldown/duration ratio. You also have a very short range, which means you have far less positioning flexibility than other staff users; melee AOE is a big deal if your tank can't keep it facing away from you, and spending any time re-positioning probably means all your DOTs drop off.

You don't target switch at all well. If you start building stacks on a mob before a higher priority target joins the fight, or you just realize the rest of the group has focused another mob, you either keep working on your target to maximise your damage (inevitably drawing aggro) or you switch, taking a massive dps hit.

Finally, your single target damage is actually pretty poor without Death Curse, and because of the long lead-in time, Death Curse becomes progressively weaker the better the rest of the group's dps gets. At this point I need to time my DC to go off after only 2-3 Vile Curse stacks or the mob already be dead by the time it triggers.

Cursed Staff was once a very good weapon, many beta tests ago, but successive nerfs have reduced the damage, reduced the range, and reduced the relevant options (life leach was a lot of fun, for example). It's getting a buff in the next expansion, but so far it's the wrong buff.
  • What buff it getting ? All I see is nerfs to armour piercer and demonic e ( fair nerfs tbh ) . Dots are now reflectable . If u meant the new spell grudge ... well it's just more a support spell or u stack attack speed with leather armour , that might be viable for death curse but you are still on a timer with that anyway and is still easily avoidable . As sad as I am to say it as I have always been drawn to the warlock, it's design in this game is boring and lacks imagination . I have put forward some ideas but not got much response , maybe they were shit haha . It's ok though , it seems if u become totally unviable for months you end up getting buffed to massive op status eventually
  • Wretch wrote:

What buff it getting ? All I see is nerfs to armour piercer and demonic e ( fair nerfs tbh ) . Dots are now reflectable . If u meant the new spell grudge ... well it's just more a support spell or u stack attack speed with leather armour , that might be viable for death curse but you are still on a timer with that anyway and is still easily avoidable . As sad as I am to say it as I have always been drawn to the warlock, it's design in this game is boring and lacks imagination . I have put forward some ideas but not got much response , maybe they were shit haha . It's ok though , it seems if u become totally unviable for months you end up getting buffed to massive op status eventually
    You are right, of course. I should have used the quotes around the word 'buff'. Yet another way to stack Vile Curse is not what the line needs.
  • Dulu wrote:

Dulu wrote:

Albion really needs an "Arena Junkies" style forum, where people who are garbage aren't even allowed to respond - only ask questions.
    hi there was just wondering what you meant by this statement ?
  • Taurean wrote:

Wretch wrote:

What buff it getting ? All I see is nerfs to armour piercer and demonic e ( fair nerfs tbh ) . Dots are now reflectable . If u meant the new spell grudge ... well it's just more a support spell or u stack attack speed with leather armour , that might be viable for death curse but you are still on a timer with that anyway and is still easily avoidable . As sad as I am to say it as I have always been drawn to the warlock, it's design in this game is boring and lacks imagination . I have put forward some ideas but not got much response , maybe they were shit haha . It's ok though , it seems if u become totally unviable for months you end up getting buffed to massive op status eventually
    You are right, of course. I should have used the quotes around the word 'buff'. Yet another way to stack Vile Curse is not what the line needs.
    totally agree with this , spears , swords , bows , even daggers got something a bit exiting as new spells , we get same old stuff
  • Wretch wrote:

Dulu wrote:

Dulu wrote:

hi there was just wondering what you meant by this statement ?

ArenaJunkies was a website for World of Warcraft 'Arena' players.

Any players could post and ask questions, but only people of a certain rating (basically top 1-2%) could respond. This way, noobs could ask questions without fellow noobs giving them terrible advice/responses.

For example - I just told this kid his build is viable, and strong in the competitive scene, but a few bums who have probably never even been inside a black hellgate or GVG tell him "Not viable", and now he's ready to quit/re-roll. That's the problem with an open forum like this.