Ganking is low-risk, high reward

• All the people so against arena are just against a fair fight, I bet you have loads of fun in a 3v1 or 5v1 taking someone else heard earned gear without a fight.

Arena combat is fair at least, 5v5 and everybody is prepared for a fight, open world PVP should exist and I am all for more reasons to go into open world but ganking a gatherer is not real PVP, it's usually 5v1 or 3v1 and the poor gatherer never had a chance no matter how good a player he is or even how good he's gear is.

A lot of you who think your really imba are in for a rude awakening in arena, not so easy when it's a fair fight.
  • Insomnihack wrote:

All the people so against arena are just against a fair fight, I bet you have loads of fun in a 3v1 or 5v1 taking someone else heard earned gear without a fight.

Arena combat is fair at least, 5v5 and everybody is prepared for a fight, open world PVP should exist and I am all for more reasons to go into open world but ganking a gatherer is not real PVP, it's usually 5v1 or 3v1 and the poor gatherer never had a chance no matter how good a player he is or even how good he's gear is.

A lot of you who think your really imba are in for a rude awakening in arena, not so easy when it's a fair fight.
    yeah ok , if I wanted fair fight I would go play LOL or DOTA which is far more balanced than this game . Does arena even have full loot or even fate from kills ?

Probably not . Fun sure fair sure but like I said before this game is full loot pvp game , now its becoming a poor LOL/Dota clone which I could play for free not for premium .
  • Insomnihack wrote:

All the people so against arena are just against a fair fight, I bet you have loads of fun in a 3v1 or 5v1 taking someone else heard earned gear without a fight.

I'm a solo ganker so every fight are fair, and I definitly think arena will execute this dying game. Gather has no chance ? I was gathering in BZ with gathering gear + nature staff, I won 1v2 and killed one. Well played gathering build are nearly IMMORTAL. If you die so easy, you are doing it wrong.
  • My suggestion of nerf zerks is
    Get a buff that no others can attack him in 2mins if he is attacked by x players for 2 different damages, or more than 275 damage in 5seconds(first player)/15seconds(2-3 players),or healing more than 200 hit points in 30sec(first player)/45sec(2-3 players),or more than 8 people helping with the same team. But he cannot attack others except for those who attacked him counting the x.
    The enemy cannot get outside support for the same time also. (Maybe x equals to 5)
    Other players in the same team also gain this buff.
    Aim to make other gankers supporter only
    Also making a Zerg flag that there are no limits for buffs and team limit but if they enter an area the enemy in the whole map will receive a sharp warning about serfs are coming and they gain a 50 seconds shield like the portal Ines, and when players reach near exits of the map they also gain a shield for 10 seconds to secure their escape. Zerks team is forced to stay in the map for 2 min also.
  • RockLobster wrote:

I ain't against arena in general. I'm sure it will be amusing every now and then.

I'm just opposed to all the instanced content being incorporated into an open world sandbox.
    People will get bored of arena . The beautiful thing about open world PVP is that

1. Unpredictable ( 1v1 2v1 Zv1 ZvZ etc etc )
    2. Harsh Death penalty ( Losing all your gear )

vs Arena

1. Predictable (5v5)
    2. No fear of death No real death penalty
  • Insomnihack wrote:

These games are not about honest fights. And ganking a gatherer is real PvP, alone with ZvZ, honest fights and whatever else that include two players being enemies.
    And gathering gear actually has good defences. Stop acting weak. It has lots of escaping abilities. Escaping with ambush+wanderlust is super easy at the moment.
    Besides, I've tested the arena, didn't awaken me the slightest.
  • Dethcord wrote:

Insomnihack wrote:

These games are not about honest fights. And ganking a gatherer is real PvP, alone with ZvZ, honest fights and whatever else that include two players being enemies.And gathering gear actually has good defences. Stop acting weak. It has lots of escaping abilities. Escaping with ambush+wanderlust is super easy at the moment.
    Besides, I've tested the arena, didn't awaken me the slightest.
    Ganking is not about PvP. Only a coward, or poorly skilled person, would think ganking, where the other party is incapable of defending himself is "real PvP". And that is btw the definition of ganking, to kill someone who cannot defend himself due to overwhelming numbers and/or sneak attacks.

"Real" MMO PvP should be about territorial defence and assualt. Where two organised groups fight each other. Not gangbanging a gatherer 5v1. Again, only a coward would think that is "real PvP".
  • @Mardonius If people go ganking, its either to deny enemy gatherers mats, get some money by ganking people or just get easy kills, they are not looking for a challenge in PvP. But there is many who just love to boost theirs ego by easy kills and claim its a real PvP. As far as they dont apply this super duper caveman logic to real world its ok.

Nothing better than hunting those poor gankers later.

• Mardonius wrote:

Ganking is not about PvP.
    PvP is player-versus-player. Ganking is PvP. I'm not arguing with you, it's a fact.

Only a coward, or poorly skilled person, would think ganking
    Any arguments incoming, or you'll just stick to parroting your stupid nonsense?

And that is btw the definition of ganking, to kill someone who cannot defend himself due to overwhelming numbers and/or sneak attacks.
    Ok. So what?

"Real" MMO PvP should be about territorial defence and assualt. Where two organised groups fight each other. Not gangbanging a gatherer 5v1. Again, only a coward would think that is "real PvP".
    All PvP is real PvP. And MMORPG PvP for sure should not be about two organized groups. Big part of MMORPG is a living world, which should be naturally unpredictable.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Dethcord ().

• Mardonius wrote:

Ganking is not about PvP. Only a coward, or poorly skilled person, would think ganking, where the other party is incapable of defending himself is "real PvP". And that is btw the definition of ganking, to kill someone who cannot defend himself due to overwhelming numbers and/or sneak attacks.
    gank is a verb, the infinitive. gank is defined as to steal. ganking is a verb tense, the present principle. it's perfectly reasonable and grammatically correct to call player vs player killing ganking in a full loot game. in addition, pvp is player vs player no matter how you try and spin it.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Diablos ().

• Item power is broken.

Players in T4 should not be able to "just gank" a player in T8 equivalent. When the latter potentially put 10x more hours of grind into the game.

I get that SBI doesn't want to increase item power gap because of GVGs, but they're breaking everything else :
    - Softcap in yellow (and red ?) zones
    - Softcap in Yellow HGs
    - Softcap in the arena
    - Less item power at T6+

They're trying to make this game easy for low level players, that's why. And I don't like it.
    And when you think about it, end-game is not valuable enough at this point :
    - Grind like a crazy person
    - Get 100/100 spec
    - Get ganked by T4 players that just joined the game at a litteraly 1/10 risk reward ratio for them

I say it again, it's not OK for a group of players, whatever tier they are, to easily kill another player that is more than 3 tiers above just because the latter has been CCed/flinged to death.
  • Shadari wrote:

a t4 ganker that dies to another gank probably looses less money then a high tier expedition runner has to pay for 1 repair if he dies once. especially as global discount goes down. so calling exp zero risk sounds kinda strange to me.
    Repairing full t6.1 is about 25k if you're yellow I think. One full t4 set costs about 8-10k. The catch is your group must be completely braindead to die in expeditions even once.
    Plus, if you go ganking for profit (like anyone still does it lol) then you'll have to get your stuff out of black zones, same as gatherers, and you can be jumped on by a bigger group, or a fight orientired group with healers and stuff. So basically you're risking the stuff you get there. Maybe you will make it out of BZs alive with your loot, maybe not. Same with red zones. With expeditions you go there for fame, and you'll get your fame no matter what and you can't lose it.

Another no risk all reward activity was original chest farming. As only one chest used to give up to 39 or 40k silver that's deposited straight to your "account" so you don't even need to get it out of BZs, so you possibly get four times the amount you've spent on your gear, but that got fixed, now it's expeditions' time.
  • Dethcord wrote:

Shadari wrote:

a t4 ganker that dies to another gank probably looses less money then a high tier expedition runner has to pay for 1 repair if he dies once. especially as global discount goes down. so calling exp zero risk sounds kinda strange to me.
    Repairing full t6.1 is about 25k if you're yellow I think. One full t4 set costs about 8-10k. The catch is your group must be completely braindead to die in expeditions even once.Plus, if you go ganking for profit (like anyone still does it lol) then you'll have to get your stuff out of black zones, same as gatherers, and you can be jumped on by a bigger group, or a fight orientired group with healers and stuff. So basically you're risking the stuff you get there. Maybe you will make it out of BZs alive with your loot, maybe not. Same with red zones. With expeditions you go there for fame, and you'll get your fame no matter what and you can't lose it.

Another no risk all reward activity was original chest farming. As only one chest used to give up to 39 or 40k silver that's deposited straight to your "account" so you don't even need to get it out of BZs, so you possibly get four times the amount you've spent on your gear, but that got fixed, now it's expeditions' time.
    I don't understand your argument. i was only saying that if you go into an expedition there is a risk to die. and if you die and bring good gear (which is needed for fast speed runs) then you end up loosing money. and therefore, i do not think its correct to call expeditions "risk free", because there is a risk to loos money.
  • Point #1 - It's obvious which players do BZ compared to which do not in this thread. If you're too scared to venture or profit from BZ then your opinions really lack substance. BZ is very much the essence of Albion and it's main appeal. Damage or destroy that, and what is this game really? It's Ultima Online with Trammel applied, leading to the end progression of the game (downward spiral). There are very very few MMORPGs with full loot pvp. This will appeal to certain players and population. AO is growing because it brought back what other MMORPGs were missing, since the day of Felucca UO, vanilla WOW open-world, and EVE.

Point #2 - You're wrong about over-population in the blue and yellow zones. The more players who stick to blue-yellow zones, the more resources will be drained, and dungeons will be drained of mobs and bosses. Players venture into red zone, then black zone, because blue-yellow is full and over-populated. That's a GOOD thing. Players have a scale of difficulty and risk in AO. Those that want highest risk go immediately to BZ. This mechanic should be developed further. Instead AO is already moving in the wrong direction (in my opinion) of more instances, less BZ, less red zone.

Point #3 - If AO wants arenas so bad (a gimmick in my opinion) then they should put arenas out in BZ and make people venture for them. Instancing is bad in every MMORPG (imo) but the least they could do is put those instances in red and black zones.

Point #4 - It's very, very GOOD that new players can pvp and go into BZ early, wearing T4 or 4.1, 4.2 gear. This solves a huge problem and player block in EVE, which is you don't get to pvp until very late in the game and with lots of investment. AO did it right on this point. Get players out in BZ immediately, let them know what the game is about and what they're getting into. It's a benefit of the game that three skilled players in 4.2 can take down a T8 player and win millions. Fuck the playerbase that wants immunity and god-tier status. Go carebear elsewhere.

The whole point of BZ is that when you go there, you may not come back alive. That's essential.