I think more people have quit over weapon imbalance than the other issues (personally)

  • I think more people have quit over weapon imbalance than the other issues (personally)

    This is when i start to see people disapear. They dump hundreds of hours into a weapon, like axes, fire, bows, daggers, arcane or the like only to be disappointed when nobody wants them in the group. Some of these weapon trees have almost no viablity and are so amazingly replaced by other weapons who do the same thing better.

    Meanwhile, people who chose weapon trees like frost, curse, spears, crossbows, healing ect. Are having a blast, and seem so incredibly ignorant to the fact these other weapons have been swept under the rug.

    So you hear a bunch of players claiming they wish they did this or that. Plan to reroll and then decide it's not worth it and quit the game. It's one thing to die with good gear, its another thing to play with bad gear. It's a shame that not every weapon tree has a home right now. Is the fault of the meta? Lack of experimentation? Or is it just so cut and dry that some options are just statistically better than others.

    Just from personal experience, obviously not all encompassing, but most people quit after the dismount change and when they find their weapon has no real practical viability for most situations. Again, just my personal observation after playing an unhealthy amount of time.

    The post was edited 1 time, last by Frostfire2k ().

  • Im guessing most ppl are wanting a game where they have pvp zones along the lines of the yellow where you arent forced into pvp or getting ganked... these ppl will play til they "complete" the content available in the yellow zones and head out... unless they add more content in those areas. They will leave and the population will plateau out for awhile while the population left behind learn to really pvp/gvg . Hopefully there will be enough ppl left playing at that point to make the game sustainable long term or it will follow most of the previous pvp centric games into the abyss.
  • Frostfire2k wrote:

    This is when i start to see people disapear. They dump hundreds of hours into a weapon, like axes, fire, bows, daggers, arcane or the like only to be disappointed when nobody wants them in the group. Some of these weapon trees have almost no viablity and are so amazingly replaced by other weapons who do the same thing better.

    Meanwhile, people who chose weapon trees like frost, curse, spears, crossbows, healing ect. Are having a blast, and seem so incredibly ignorant to the fact these other weapons have been swept under the rug.

    So you hear a bunch of players claiming they wish they did this or that. Plan to reroll and then decide it's not worth it and quit the game. It's one thing to die with good gear, its another thing to play with bad gear. It's a shame that not every weapon tree has a home right now. Is the fault of the meta? Lack of experimentation? Or is it just so cut and dry that some options are just statistically better than others.

    Just from personal experience, obviously not all encompassing, but most people quit after the dismount change and when they find their weapon has no real practical viability for most situations. Again, just my personal observation after playing an unhealthy amount of time.
    curse, spears, crossbows, healing ect

    As a very casual, very sleepy player, I chose my "build" to suit the way I play
    I don't like the way that ranged is in this game, I particularly don't like magic, and I;m aware that healers have been touted as op for ages and would receive some nerf
    i know i was going to be on my own mostly, so i chose the safest build i could

    full plate with battle axe for life steal
    soldier body for attack boost if i want sometimes
    guardian helmet for the damage reduce
    knight boots for the initiate
    i happened across an artifact shield and just said , sure why not

    i'm aware that spears are supposed to be quite nice but i don't like them
    i do keep onefor gathering because of the hop-forward to cover distance sometmies
    im aware that leathear armor has a lot of buffs i probably would like but
    i lag a lot, i crash a lot, and i need the plate becaues if i crash i may die without it

    i don't know.i tried most weapons, i didnt like hammers, even though they were only made of metaal, they were pretty boring for my style

    i also got everything i wnated to try up to the branching levels and experimented

    i ended up going between batle axe and great axe , i carry both
    im sure competetively, maybe my build sucks, but i like it

    play for fun o r you wo't last long
    sorry, sleepy poet is sleepy
    typoes all over
  • Basicly I go with @SleepyPoet on this subject. Fun will make it for the long way.

    But for some Fun is defined as being part of the meta and be part of the top tier groups. So I get that what the OP is stating as well.

    What I don't get is that people would quit that easly, knowing that there are still adjustments in the making to the balance. We're not even 2 months on the way ?

    Balancing a PvP game is a real shitty job imho. So cuddos for the devs trying to do that 8o

    In general I believe people tend to burn through a game too fast nowadays, what will make them quit. It's like too much chocalate for weeks in a row. Even that is gonna turn against you at some point <3
  • Most of the game is like the weapon system, its the way it is designed.

    From maps, trade, cities/territory, weapon/armour trees, tiers, resources, currency/time investment, premium it all serves to guide/push you and make you commit heavily to certain playstyles. When people are made to commit heavily to something its usually a make or brake situation. Depending on how easy it is to start up again will greatly affect the amount of people who do so or even commit in the first place.

    This is Dev's decisions for players for business for w/e. Game is not in a state for players to go wild with their imagination. Traders, crafters, fighters blah blah blah all restricted/funnelled in many forms for better or worse. Generally when restrictions are too harsh or options are not available people go elsewhere. What you can see is that this heavy commitment worked wonders for the company, players not so much. The pop No.s show most have moved on.

    Yes the weapon system can be very off putting but the game as a whole requires a lot more content on all sides. The game changed on release from BETAs, a lot of BETA players felt screwed over. The new players overwhelmed the game and even though there was somethings for them to do ultimately there was not enough to hold their interest. All this and not even counting gold sellers/DDOS.
  • Devs never convinced me to have a good understanding of balancing their weapons and that goes over the past 2 years. Just imagen what will happen when they introduce relic weapons and armor. I also think relic items would come short after release but that this is not even mentioned in the next updates make me think they realized how bad their balance is and it would trash the game even more adding more items to the game.
  • There's around 100 reasons why i left this game but for me the main ones were the fact i put 150+ hours and LP into a weapon that is useless mainly,watching healers 3v1 people in open world also confused me, and the lacks of spells loot and different types of creatures/mobs.

    this will be on steam soon, then free to play and shut down or dead by this time next year, you can see through my 100+ post the game lacks so much, even down the lore/history of the world.
  • Yitra wrote:

    Basicly I go with @SleepyPoet on this subject. Fun will make it for the long way.

    But for some Fun is defined as being part of the meta and be part of the top tier groups. So I get that what the OP is stating as well.

    What I don't get is that people would quit that easly, knowing that there are still adjustments in the making to the balance. We're not even 2 months on the way ?

    Balancing a PvP game is a real shitty job imho. So cuddos for the devs trying to do that 8o

    In general I believe people tend to burn through a game too fast nowadays, what will make them quit. It's like too much chocalate for weeks in a row. Even that is gonna turn against you at some point <3
    thanks @Yitra
    I didn't mean to discredit the people who "lost" their time/effort by pumping hours into their path
    If I was that kind of person I would be upset as well and likely leave (besides the other reasons)
    I used to be that guy, efficient, fast, calculative, in the crowd, going for the "best"

    In this case though some weapons have always been inferior and expecting them to become equal is... unlikely soon.
    Now if you already picked one of the "superior" lines and you got nerfed , this too is expected (FOM builds make this happen faster too)

    I don't know. Choosing a path may screw you over for a bit, yes. Hopefully most of those people aren't sitting on 200 days of premium

    I also agree with:

    People are leaving cause there's only so much of the same thing that can entertain a person.

    tikoetikoe wrote:


    That's why i'm taking it slow, hoping to have nice updates before i get too bored with AO.
    I'm at my boredom limit so... hopefully the updates will bring people back


    There's around 100 reasons why i left this game but for me the main ones were the fact i put 150+ hours and LP into a weapon that is useless mainly,watching healers 3v1 people in open world also confused me, and the lacks of spells loot and different types of creatures/mobs.

    DomVanDamn wrote:


    this will be on steam soon, then free to play and shut down or dead by this time next year, you can see through my 100+ post the game lacks so much, even down the lore/history of the world.
    as for this, well... I knew natures were OP and I chose not to roll one so i don't know. If you really want your chosen path to be great, you also have to look at what people are saying and doing, and decide if you will stick to your desires or change for the "meta"

    I don't do meta so I would stick to my path, even knowing its inferior. For those who clung to something knowing that it wasn't in the top 3 (for example) then this result isn't a surprise, but it hurts, and it does lead to SOME leaving, yes