Cursed Staff options

• Cursed Staff options

Hello , I am Wretch and have played primarily cursed staffs in all tests and now after trying to get away from it and try some other weapons I have come back to it at release. Its my favorite weapon type, and the warlock type theme is what i always like to play in games that have it.

I would like to start by saying that I am fully aware of its strong meta position and I am not trying to take that away from it. However when watching gvgs (as i do not get to play them) i would rather see diverse teams facing off rather than clones of each other.

Anyhow enough about that and to the reason i am posting. I have played cursed staff since alpha tests where it had imho much more diversity in its spells that felt in line with a warlock theme. We had lifestealing, we had fears , it just felt the package was right , its just their values for spells were wrong and needing improvement. Moving on to betas and this was all taken away ( as well as my beloved offhand spells ... but thats another story). Instead we are now left with a curse staff that feels lacking in imagination.

Firstly its Q options . Vile Curse and Cursed Sickle, the later being a straight line attack and can hit multiple targets. I can see the merit in Cursed Sickle but without smart cast it feels clunky and on a 4 second cd, i feel vile curse is the better option anyway. Also im sure all curse users would prefer to have an alternate option that gives some variety . Also i would like to point out that 8m range on vile curse is no longer warranted, we no longer have speed stacking options on curse( dont include the passive as u need to get 5 hits off first) and this spell range should be increased to atleast 11m.

Suggestion for replacing cursed sickle :Blood curse .. single target , stackable up to 4 times , each tick steals life from enemy , starting small but ramping up when at max stacks, also counts towards death curse dmg . lifesteal amount affected by magic resistance of enemy.

Secondly the W options. Im sorry guys but im going to say it Armor piercer doesnt belong on the warlock class it belongs to arcane imho. Its just too strong for what is suppose to be a dmg class. The main issue with it is that its instant cast not too hard to get multiple targets with it , with some decent positioning play, i love the spell cus i play curse but lets be honest its mandatory.
      Cursed beam, its fine , decent dmg , channeled so can be interrupted easily nothing much to say.
      Desecrate , a root that lasts 5 seconds but is self cast range...i want to love this one, try to add it in and i guess when it was added we had double speed options with helm and boots so was actually useful in a gank build. However things have changed and i feel unless you are trying a niche build ( perhaps with lifecurse staff or cursed skull), its lackluster and needs replacing with something else.
      The new spell Grudge , i cant really comment i guess i have not seen too much info on it however again it seems lackluster , just another way to stack vile curse , i mean comon guys where is the creative team ?? I would like to add i dont know yet if it can be cast on self , if it can then stack attack speed with leather armor and u have no reason for your q spells ... If it can be only cast on others , then i may as well play arcane because curse is turning into a support class and in seriousness who would ever pick that spell over armor piercer for any type of play?

Suggestions for changes to w spells :
      Armor piercer to be removed ( sorry guys i feel like a traitor saying this) in place of it though cursed beam has reduced dmg on its channel but also incorparates a single target armor reduction that starts low and stacks up if the channel hits full duration ... i think this would be a balanced change.
      Descecrate removed and in place Fear , an aoe ground targeted 8m range cast, fears targets for 4 seconds , any damage breaks the fear. Can also be cleansed.
      Grudge ....want to remove this because i just dont see its use but its not fair to say until its been tested by the "pros" :)
      4th spell options cursed sickle (ye i stole the name from q but i like it) works the same way as original cursed sickle , however it does not apply a dot, its a one time dmg to multiple targets in a line ...for balance maybe 300-400 dmg i dunno.

E spells are actually all pretty decent. I would say death curse is high dmg on the 1handed but i feel it is warranted as it has a cast time ( interruptable) , is in effect a ticking timebomb ( so can be countered fairly easily by a number of shields or blocks from armors). Also reflectable now too, added to the fact that for its dmg to be really high u need 4 stacks of vile curse. Great curse staff pretty strong for aoe dps , and zerg v zerg i would say , previously meta in gvgs until demonic took over wich with all the chock points in gvg maps is very strong cant argue that but i think that coupled with armor piercer is what makes it one of the must have options so dont want to call for change on it as i have already called for change on armor peircer and i think this is the bigger culprit. Lifecurse's enfeeble blades could be fantastic if only it would be changed to be able to cast on enemys as well as allys(im sure the tooltip once said this). I would even be happy with a bit less dmg per tick as the attack power reduction can stack up to 50 per cent alot easier. I think this change on lifecurse would see the weapon used far more. Finally the E on cursed skull is pretty strong particularly that u cannot be interrupted and it has a great aoe range , so can see some really strong team plays with it , maybe will see more of it in arenas or as the game progresses.

I think the biggest problem with this game is that over the very lengthy betas alot has changed that also impacted weapons and their functionality , however the weapons such as curse have been left with changes that no longer make sense ( such as 8m range on vile curse).

I would really appreciate feedback from anyone really, i am pretty thick skinned so go ahead. I like to think i have not been to biased but at same time not tried to ruin the warlock theme.

Regards Wretch
    • Fortunately Arcane IS getting armor/magic resist shred in the next update, however it's single target which would still make cursed stronger because it's long range aoe in a game revolving around choke points at the moment it's very easy to land.

We're also getting smart casting in the Joseph update so maybe that will help bring cursed sickle into play ability in terms of smoothness and comboing it.

Admittedly I haven't played Cursed Staff myself and have only been on the receiving end of them..I can say they are a must have in group pvp just for the AoE armor break. the only time to warrant different W abilities would be if you had numerous cursed weapon lines in your zerg so you're able to afford having a few different things here and there. We will have to wait and see what the new abilities really do!

Since the cursed weapon line is considered "warlock" I think it would be neat to see one weapon lines truly act as a cursing weapon class.

I.E. Q: Curse of Rot, applies a stackable dot to target, max of 3 stacks.

W. Crippling Curse, a slowing effect stacking up to 3 times

E: Curse of Time, increases the CD duration of targets abilities.

Idk, just would feel like a neat Warlock gameplay style, would fit more of a support style but I could still see it being fun ^^
      PVP/Info Video's: Youtube

Occasionally Live: Twitch
    • I completely agree with the OP - Curse's Sunder is absolutely ridiculous and as long as a Ranged DPS class is the one that brings it to the table, it's going to be S-tier Meta. If you're running without a Curse in a 5 man GvG/HG team, you're out of your mind. Curse losing this and Arcane bringing this to bear along with a high-skill cap Support playstyle could potentially turn this into an option rather than a mandatory fixture on any 5-man team... and I really feel that needs to happen.

The meta in this game is one of the stalest I've ever seen in an MMO. For a game like Albion that's designed so many unique weapons and touts so many options for your characters... it's very sad how few there really are in reality. Every competative 5v5 team has just about the same comp with 2-3 alternates every now and then. It's always Tank, Healer, Curse and two of the following: Glaive, Clarent Blade, Frost or Xbow - anything else is far and away lower tier.

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 3 mal editiert, zuletzt von RockLobster ()

• RockLobster schrieb:

I completely agree with the OP - Curse's Sunder is absolutely ridiculous and as long as a Ranged DPS class is the one that brings it to the table, it's going to be S-tier Meta. If you're running without a Curse in a 5 man GvG/HG team, you're out of your mind. Curse losing this and Arcane bringing this to bear along with a high-skill cap Support playstyle could potentially turn this into an option rather than a mandatory fixture on any 5-man team... and I really feel that needs to happen.

The meta in this game is one of the stalest I've ever seen in an MMO. For a game like Albion that's designed so many unique weapons and touts so many options for your characters... it's very sad how few there really are in reality. Every competative 5v5 team has just about the same comp with 2-3 alternates every now and then. It's always Tank, Healer, Curse and two of the following: Glaive, Clarent Blade, Frost or Xbow - anything else is far and away lower tier.
      Wanna talk about a stale meta? ARCHEAGE was a stale meta, Auramancy, Defense, + w/e 3rd class you wanted was practically viable. Auramancy was a MUST though.

Albion hasnt QUITE gotten that bad, but they definitely need to tweak some weapon lines here and there, which it looks like theyre trying to do. Games barely been released officially for a month, so i'd say if the meta's still a stale PoS by end of december, dont expect it to get better xD
      PVP/Info Video's: Youtube

Occasionally Live: Twitch
    • Just tried the new W, grudge. I guess it can be an amazing spell.

It stacks vile curse, i didn't tested on other players, but, when casted on self, it increases your normal stacks count ( was especting that you would be able to have 2 stacks of vile curse per target, but it's the same debuff.).

My test was in a t5 metal golem on birken fell, used a t5 cursed staff and i got 40 mastery on the staff used ( great cursed staff).

My dmg output was 2500 in 5 seconds. The skill duration is 6 seconds, so, possibly, it can reach 3k damage by the skill duration.

What I think about this skill? It can increase the number of builds. Why?

1 handed - Death curse : One of problem of death curse it's that it's easily counterable, but it took a lot of time to full stack a target. If you full stack a target before casting death curse, it may happen that the target flee and you lose the stacks, if you stack during the time that the death curse is applied, the target could back before you finally get all stacks. With the new skill, grudge, you can full stack a target in less than 2.5 seconds ( Q + 2 basic attack + Q ). Which is really quickly.

It is useful for another builds : Daggers and bows. They usually have a nice attack speed buff, if some of coordination, once you got 3 stacks on a target, you can quickly shred a focused target casting grudge on a basic attack characters, as said before, it can do 500 damage/ second with the tradicional 1.3 attack per second of a warlock. Even if you do half of this dmg ( 250dmg/s) on players, it would be a nice alternative for teams.

So, my opinion by now:

Cursed Sickle really need a buff, i guess it could still be the same and makes that vile cursed applied with cursed sickle should last more, or your suggestion is still cool. Your desecreate suggestion is amazing as same for the suggestion of the E from the lifecurse staff. For the one handed E, death curse, I think that it should consume a stack of vile curse every 2 seconds and, on the last tick, consume all the stacks and does little lower damage than now. That way the spell would only be "some" avoidable, not completly.
    • Silphatos schrieb:

Just tried the new W, grudge. I guess it can be an amazing spell.

It stacks vile curse, i didn't tested on other players, but, when casted on self, it increases your normal stacks count ( was especting that you would be able to have 2 stacks of vile curse per target, but it's the same debuff.).

My test was in a t5 metal golem on birken fell, used a t5 cursed staff and i got 40 mastery on the staff used ( great cursed staff).

My dmg output was 2500 in 5 seconds. The skill duration is 6 seconds, so, possibly, it can reach 3k damage by the skill duration.

What I think about this skill? It can increase the number of builds. Why?

1 handed - Death curse : One of problem of death curse it's that it's easily counterable, but it took a lot of time to full stack a target. If you full stack a target before casting death curse, it may happen that the target flee and you lose the stacks, if you stack during the time that the death curse is applied, the target could back before you finally get all stacks. With the new skill, grudge, you can full stack a target in less than 2.5 seconds ( Q + 2 basic attack + Q ). Which is really quickly.

It is useful for another builds : Daggers and bows. They usually have a nice attack speed buff, if some of coordination, once you got 3 stacks on a target, you can quickly shred a focused target casting grudge on a basic attack characters, as said before, it can do 500 damage/ second with the tradicional 1.3 attack per second of a warlock. Even if you do half of this dmg ( 250dmg/s) on players, it would be a nice alternative for teams.

So, my opinion by now:

Cursed Sickle really need a buff, i guess it could still be the same and makes that vile cursed applied with cursed sickle should last more, or your suggestion is still cool. Your desecreate suggestion is amazing as same for the suggestion of the E from the lifecurse staff. For the one handed E, death curse, I think that it should consume a stack of vile curse every 2 seconds and, on the last tick, consume all the stacks and does little lower damage than now. That way the spell would only be "some" avoidable, not completly.
      When cast on someone else, who's damage does the curse use? Yours or the one who has the buff?
    • The main problem with grudge in my eyes is I can't see why u would ever take it over armour piercer . It just doesn't really compare . And it's just more vile curse stacking , really feel frustrated at how they are handling warlock , I mean spears got an awesome skill with a channelled reflect and mana regen in one ! Swords got a ranged root , we get more vile curse stacking , great ....