The premium report

• The premium report

Hello fellow adventurers!

People often ask if playing this game without a subscription is viable. This report aims at informing the playerbase how easy it actually is to keep premium on a character.

T6 expedition grind
    With current gold prices, it you will make enough silver to purchase premium in 101 T6 expeditions
    This takes 25,2 hours for a mediocre group

Focus conversion
    With current AH prices, I can create a new character and convert my focus into 33337 silver per day
    This covers 104% of premium costs

Conclusion: Currently, premium is Free! (as in you can pay for it with passive income from 10 minutes of gameplay per day)

There are two measures: "T6 expedition grind" and "Focus conversion".

T6 expedition grind is pretty self explanatory. I will assume a pretty mediocre group that clears one T6 expedition in 15 minutes. In a mediocre speedrun, we make 9500 silver.

Focus conversion is a more complicated matter. Basicaly everyone can just convert their focus into silver by refining mats with focus and selling the refined mats, by farming, or by other measures. I have an alt that just converts focus like this. My measure for focus conversion will be based on my alt's experiences. I will normalize the values, however, to take into account that a brand new player won't have the same focus efficiency as my alt, due to not having the same level as my alt.
    https://forum.albiononline.com/index.php/Thread/82954-Guide-What-order-to-level-items-in-to-get-the-most-specialization-for-your-time/

The post was edited 1 time, last by Stravanov ().

• At work and not in a position to fact check the number above, but I am sure they are true.

Furthermore, paying a small fee for dozens, if not hundreds of hours per month ... hard to not do this. Especially with the understanding that you are supporting future development. Not to mention, by your math, the devs have given people a way to play their game at premium without ever making a dime from them again. Thoughtful as fuck imo.

The problem is this new generation of millennials.
    IGN: KiteKiteKite
  • RockPaperBazooka wrote:

At work and not in a position to fact check the number above, but I am sure they are true.

Furthermore, paying a small fee for dozens, if not hundreds of hours per month ... hard to not do this. Especially with the understanding that you are supporting future development. Not to mention, by your math, the devs have given people a way to play their game at premium without ever making a dime from them again. Thoughtful as fuck imo.

Yup. People have no problem at all going to Starbucks every morning and paying 4-5$ for a cup of coffee, or buying a pack of cigarettes for $10-12, or going out to a movie and paying $14 for the ticket itself (before any popcorn or soda), or going out to a bar and paying $6 for a beer.

But OMG, ask them to pay $10-14 for an entire month of entertainment in a game and it's always "That's too expensive".
  • RockPaperBazooka wrote:

At work and not in a position to fact check the number above, but I am sure they are true.

I don't think you understand how it works.

Players that purchase premium with silver actually purchase gold from other players first. And then use that gold to purchase premium.

So SBI do in fact make money from players that pay for premium with silver.
    https://forum.albiononline.com/index.php/Thread/82954-Guide-What-order-to-level-items-in-to-get-the-most-specialization-for-your-time/
  • Yes, technically you are correct. But I'm willing to keep up the Premium, hoping the developers will make use of the funds to actually improve the came and not convert it into a world of suckage. The next six months to a year will be telling. If there are no signifigant improvents in a year, I'll stop premium. Worst comes to worse, i'm out what $120 bucks over a year.
  • If you have already grinded gathering in your first month, you can earn the 1m for 1 months prem (current price) in as little as 1h, if you are lucky with a few .3's.

Otherwise it will only take 3-4 hours with just normal grinding of materials. (orange / red black zone gathering of course, not in grimy blue/yellow non pvp zones)

Otherwise you should be able to easy make 150- 250k p/h flipping on the market.

Silver is EASY as hell to make, if you know what you are doing.

My workers on my island alone generate enough income to pay for my prem. Let alone focus etc
  • RoastPork wrote:

If you have already grinded gathering in your first month, you can earn the 1m for 1 months prem (current price) in as little as 1h, if you are lucky with a few .3's.

Otherwise it will only take 3-4 hours with just normal grinding of materials. (orange / red black zone gathering of course, not in grimy blue/yellow non pvp zones)

Otherwise you should be able to easy make 150- 250k p/h flipping on the market.

Silver is EASY as hell to make, if you know what you are doing.

My workers on my island alone generate enough income to pay for my prem. Let alone focus etc
    You are ahead of the curve.

Most casual players are not.

This thread is directed at the casual players.
  • UnholyKiller wrote:

RockPaperBazooka wrote:

Yup. People have no problem at all going to Starbucks every morning and paying 4-5$ for a cup of coffee, or buying a pack of cigarettes for $10-12, or going out to a movie and paying $14 for the ticket itself (before any popcorn or soda), or going out to a bar and paying $6 for a beer.
    But OMG, ask them to pay $10-14 for an entire month of entertainment in a game and it's always "That's too expensive".
    I don't care about the cost of prem but $14 for a movie? That is AMAZING! Where is your magical land?
  • Grailer wrote:

lol by next month its going to take 40 hrs to get premium in dungeons maybe more .

Fear not , eventually you will pay .
    Time will tell. That is the aim of this entire thread: To track how long it takes to grind permium and the value of focus points.
  • Kajmir wrote:

UnholyKiller wrote:

RockPaperBazooka wrote:

Yup. People have no problem at all going to Starbucks every morning and paying 4-5$ for a cup of coffee, or buying a pack of cigarettes for $10-12, or going out to a movie and paying $14 for the ticket itself (before any popcorn or soda), or going out to a bar and paying $6 for a beer.But OMG, ask them to pay $10-14 for an entire month of entertainment in a game and it's always "That's too expensive".
    I don't care about the cost of prem but $14 for a movie? That is AMAZING! Where is your magical land?
    goo.gl/UFLRDQ
    goo.gl/xPMhXU
    goo.gl/GK4CMs
    Random dungeon https://bit.ly/2L5TxnS
    Outnumber https://bit.ly/2YEU56n
    Arena https://bit.ly/2ZKD3or
    Hudini: https://bit.ly/2XTonBI
    HGguidance https://bit.ly/2Ymu1gs
  • Most subscription games charge $10-$15 dollars a month for an account - this one is per character

Games that allow you to play more than one character for this amount and also have a hell of a lot more content - you tell me where the value for money is with this premium system as it currently is?

Albion is currently charging above the odds of most mainstream AAA MMO's for less of a product so please don't tell me it is currently value for money, Maybe it is for you but I personally prefer value for my money
  • Badwolfe wrote:

Most subscription games charge $10-$15 dollars a month for an account - this one is per character

Games that allow you to play more than one character for this amount and also have a hell of a lot more content - you tell me where the value for money is with this premium system as it currently is?

Albion is currently charging above the odds of most mainstream AAA MMO's for less of a product so please don't tell me it is currently value for money, Maybe it is for you but I personally prefer value for my money
    Just to play devil's advocate here, several games that charged you a fee for the entire account did it that way because you were forced into creating multiple characters in order to experience the full game. This was due to your character being locked to a specific "class" when you first created it (healer, tank, melee, ranged).
    Albion is not the same in this regard, as you can play any 'class' and do everything in the game with a single character if you wanted to. ((Not saying it's the ideal, fastest way to play, but it IS doable)).

That does make things a little different when trying to compare Albion to other games.
  • As a casual player of Albion, I find it slightly concerning that the game has recently hit 1M+ for 1 month premium.

Generally, I only make about 100k per hour using low/no exp money making methods; most of which have mild-high risk.

That is basically 10 hours out of a month that I have to go out of my way just to make sure I can keep accumulating much needed passive benefits like better dailies, 20 learning points, and 10k focus.

My main point of comparison that I have is Oldschool Runescape. In Runescape, it takes 3-6 hours to gain 1 month of membership with no risk methods, and can go as low as only 1-2 hours with higher risk methods; most these methods of which generally gain decent exp.

If premium continues to increase in Albion, let's say to something like 1.5m to 2m per month while silver methods are still the same rate, it will make casual players start to have a substantial disadvantage to anyone with even a mild sized wallet or 6+ hours to throw at the game a day.

While this gap will occur in every game, it will become a problem in Albion if a newer/casual player feels like they are making 0 gains relative to groups/guilds that control all of the most profitable map locations. The time it will take them to reach these later end game content will be cut even further without premium access.
  • AngryOldGamer wrote:

The next six months to a year will be telling. If there are no signifigant improvents in a year, I'll stop premium. Worst comes to worse, i'm out what $120 bucks over a year.
    You clearly never played f2p apps on mobile.
    People are willing to spend 100$ per month on those games and never even blink, now try and complain here about a set Premium.

Any way. Like Stravanov said. To get the silver to pay for premium in nothing in this game. You really have to mess up to not get it. (No pun intended)