New Map Idea (Thoughts?)

• New Map Idea (Thoughts?)

This is my effort to motivate more trade economy runs between cities, remove the portals and the heavy reliance on Caerleon, and spread out the players more across the map. Leaving plenty for Resources Farmers, Soloers, Dungeoneers, Zerg parties, Gankers, and the like to enjoy Albion as an open world experience.
    Images
    • Proposed Albion Map.png

641.77 kB, 1,362×800, viewed 5,996 times
  • I understand your feedback, my comments is that there wouldn't need to be as much dependence on entrances to the Black Zone with the development of these cities and additional trade routes. Ideally, you would see the whole world become more alive and people living/farming/building in the Black Zone as an entirety. Essentially removing the portal connected world.
  • This isn't feasible as you'd cause a massive upset amongst the community by changing resource distribution so drastically. You can't really tell people that have gone through all the trouble only to end up living with something so much less of a value on both low and high outlands, i.e. high outlanders suddenly thrown to t6 max nevermind the regular enchancement rate. The only people that would be okay are the mid outlanders.

I wouldn't mind harbors/cities coming back while portal gets disabled, but there isn't really much else you can do to achieve your goals. You could keep caerleon relevant by having lower AH tax vs the regular safe cities at best too.

• ilogos wrote:

I understand your feedback, my comments is that there wouldn't need to be as much dependence on entrances to the Black Zone with the development of these cities and additional trade routes. Ideally, you would see the whole world become more alive and people living/farming/building in the Black Zone as an entirety. Essentially removing the portal connected world.
    Yea I understand that.

To add to my critizism:

• T3 needs to be removed from black zones. T3 and T2 is what makes the royal continent slightly relevant to the economy
    • The distance from the cities on the Royal Continent to black zones is too long. If players need to zone 3 times before entering black zones, they won't use your new ports as much as intended. A port should be right outside a city like Thetford. Maybe move all ports so that each royal city has one.
    • The previous point would also create more entrances to black zones, which would reduce my original critizism (too few ports).
    https://forum.albiononline.com/index.php/Thread/82954-Guide-What-order-to-level-items-in-to-get-the-most-specialization-for-your-time/
  • ilogos wrote:

Yeah I agree its implementation would be taxing. What if we could have a clean start server available on the server drop down select? I suppose that is another conversation on its own...
    Obviously no. Please don't take over this thread with your retarded suggestion.
    https://forum.albiononline.com/index.php/Thread/82954-Guide-What-order-to-level-items-in-to-get-the-most-specialization-for-your-time/
  • Actually with the "Kay" changes of resetting guild territory ownership every season, that would be a perfect opportunity to change the map resource dynamic. I see no reason your new map couldn't be integrated into the world from a practical stance.

It's not that I miss the ports, what I miss is having 'deep' black zones. I hate that every single black zone is only 4 zones away from a portal.

What I want to see, taking your map example, is the left & right hand sides of the black zones had a portal in each zone... and then that's it. To reach T7-T8 you have to make your way through a bunch of hostile areas. I really miss that from the betas - you had to really consider the logistics. Reminiscent of EVE wormholes, too. Making sure you have enough resources to survive out there - because its a significant chunk of time to effort to run back into safe areas and re-fuel/re-gear.
  • More or less, though we know for certain that it's not going to happen. But that doesn't mean you can't achieve most of your goals with removing portals / reintroducing harbors, since the resource distribution itself isn't really all that important when it comes to them. @ilogos

@Quarty The invasion mechanic applies only to non home territories, whereas the most important territory is the home territory itself. I can ensure you that the moment you drop somebody's home territory further away from t7-8 resources than they bargained for, you're going to get everything but trouble-free time. Anybody with a home territory right in the middle is going to have an advantage to retake, defend and farm those territories over somebody that's really far away.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Snowman ().

• Well, it seems like people are split on the distance traveled. Some people like the haul, others don't. So maybe incorporate a rift that will open connecting Caerleon to a random location in the Black Zone (Something that only happens every 6 hours for an hour in length). I haven't thought this idea thoroughly as it could be chaotic the trade flow, but it could be a cause for very interesting GvG and ZvZ wars and keep the rest of the area open for the smaller groups. I mean, rifts are not uncommon in this world (hell gates for example).
  • We've been there, it sucked. Travel time isn't fun in albion except for some miniscule fraction of the playerbase. I always see these suggestions made by those haulers, but with no real regard to the fact that it makes the game significantly less fun for literally everyone else.

I vastly prefer the current convenience of existence compared to what we had pr- galahad which would be the haulers wet dream world. It makes the game feel less like EVE, but that's ok. We get to have fights more frequently than once per 1-2 hours.
  • Hey @Boartato , I thought about your response a little more and wanted to add some comments. This is just my opinion, but I don't think it would be the same as your Pre-Launch experience. For a couple reasons:
    1) Most of the action should be centered between the two black cities. I don't think you will find that you have to travel very far for the action you are describing.

and the weaker argument

2) There should be a larger player base now that the game is online. Even if there are long travel routes between The BZ and Starter Cities as long as they are economically viable (e.g. bringing T2 resources so people can build their guild islands in the new cities), they should see a regular flow of traffic. It just wont be as concentrated as between the two Black Zone cities, so you (in my theory) will see something for every player. Those who like the condensed pvp, those who like the outskirts, and those who like the long haul resource travelling.
  • Korn wrote:

Thanks for the detailed suggestion.

This is extremely similar to how the game was set up before we introduced the Caerleon change. See here.

You can find the reasoning behind the Caerleon change here.
    Except the reasoning is absolutely 100% wrong. You can re-post that BS all you want, but you never actually defend the way it is now. You just defend the change because of the way it WAS BEFORE. Meaning, you know this version of the map is terrible, but you want to believe and need everyone else to believe the way it was before was even worse. That simply isnt true.

The map you had before hector was amazing. The only thing is lacked was....POPULATION. Yes the black zone cities were not occupied nor were they established as trade hubs. Lets me ask you this bud. Where are the black zone trade runs? WHERE ARE THEY!? They are non-existent. The previous version at least has SOME trade runs. How you can say you improved it is beyond me, and really just a bold faced lie to try to save face for such a terrible map design. The only reason they werent populated was because your beta population was dismal at that stage. You let that stage of beta carry on for MONTHS. You really think 10000 people are going to play a game in beta, especially when you change the map and the entire game every other month. You drove the beta population down, and then changed the game based on that. Pure insanity.

At release you had the population to fill the previous map and then some. The black cities would have flourished. Trade runs everywhere. You could have even helped that by putting the black market vender in these 3 black cities. One for each black zone color. It would have worked. However you dont know how to properly conduct experiments with a control and sample size. So you ended up with a shit tier map.

Hector map is 100% why you are losing subs at a rapid pace. You have exactly enough open world content for 1 month of play time before the average gamer starts to realize this game is meaningless, worthless, and above all a giant waste of time.

"But all games lose subs at release!"

Probably the most ridiculous statement I have ever heard. A games subs are not supposed to fall off at release. At release they are actually supposed to increase. You dont start losing subs until at least 3-6 months down the road. The fact that you and the other Albion Online developers found a way to shorten that process to 1 month is insight to just how terrible your map is, and how little you listen to real feedback.

Please stop trying to peddle the idea that this map is better. I have played all the maps you have made. This is by far the shittiest version, and will be the reason your game will be an after thought by Jan 2018.

The post was edited 4 times, last by Terrorsauce ().

• Quite harsh Terrorsauce but you are right the way the makers defend the new map is impressive. It's clearly a very mainstream game atm. As a german studio you should now that mainstream isn't the way to go. How about you make a map weekend where you use the old map for 2-3days and see how it goes. If people like it keep the map if they don't - well then the new map is bulletproof.

The post was edited 2 times, last by Duboe ().

• Duboe wrote:

Quite harsh but the way you defend the new map is impressive. It's clearly a very mainstream game atm. As a german studio you should now that mainstream isn't the way to go. How about you make a map weekend where you use the old map for 2-3days and see how it goes. If people like it keep the map if they don't - well then the new map is bulletproof.
    This wont happen because it would show that Hector was a blunder and the developer behind it would probably have to answer for his mistakes. Something Korn has never done and clearly doesnt want to. Korn would rather Albion tank and fail than admit he is wrong on this issue.

You can tell its his idea by how quick he always posts that copy/pasted answer to any post related to map design while the other feedback posts go unanswered. Its very telling.