Gold Cap

• The "global discount" you see when, for example, upgrading your island or travelling with luggage is SBI affecting the market. Only silver, you will note. As Midgard said, this affects gold, but does not determine it. The discount is currently at 50%.

I read somewhere (and I'm phoneposting so no way am I hunting a source) that the global discount will begin to drop when gold reaches 500s. It will reach 0% when gold reaches 1000s. This will help to somewhat limiy gold prices, but by no means cap or completely control it.

When the global discount drops, purchases like I stated above will become more expensive, and people will sell gold for silver. It is then that the economy will try to find its balance.
    May our loots never be trashed, and our gears never be looted!
  • YourMother wrote:

Elarahis wrote:

Can you answer my questions in bold? All you are trying to do here is to belittle others.

I am not the kind of person to say "oh no the silver drops totally made the gold value drop". I 100% agree with you that there are many factors affecting the gold rate and that the silver drop is just one of them and its effect is going to be small. What I was trying to say when I mentionned this, is that if the recent silver drop changes had had any effect at all, it would have been against the current trend of increasing gold value.

Contrary to yourself I do approach things with humility. Have you ever admitted you were wrong and the other party was right in an argument? I do this quite often and if you provide good arguments I will.

But right now all you are doing is insulting me at this point. You are making me say things I have never said and you make false asumptions.

Again, can you answer my questions in bold and skip the rest, that is how you go forward in a debate.
    As you stated, if you provide good arguments(which you've yet to do, or even read anything much less absorb its meaning), I would be the first to admit the other party was correct(by contrast, you've yet to admit you were wrong on the many points I've clearly illustrated you had no idea what you were talking about even from your last post; more hypocrisy from you, surprise surprise). I believe in meritocracy of ideas over personal ego. But when you come into a post on the personal attack as you did, and then have zero comprehension or logical arguments, please don't expect me to follow your high school debate team rules.
    Well high school debates do not exist in my country (France) so I don't know much about the rules. I am a 34 year old software enigneer and well past high school years anyway. I think I understand logic thank you :)

I ask you questions you keep dodging. You have no arguments here other than copy pasting your economy lessons. You were unable to quote SBI when asked others did it for you. And now you keep dodging and and adding personnal attacks.

Its getting to a point where I have absolutly no clue about what your opinion on the matter actually is. Oh and if you want me to read your posts again, I suggest you do not begin every post with insults because obviously I am not going to bother reading that again. If you want to keep dodging and insulting me I guess ai have nothing more to tell you. I tried to be patient but you seem to be either too immature or too thick to have a proper conversation. Probably a little bit of both.
  • Elarahis wrote:

YourMother wrote:

Elarahis wrote:

Can you answer my questions in bold? All you are trying to do here is to belittle others.

I am not the kind of person to say "oh no the silver drops totally made the gold value drop". I 100% agree with you that there are many factors affecting the gold rate and that the silver drop is just one of them and its effect is going to be small. What I was trying to say when I mentionned this, is that if the recent silver drop changes had had any effect at all, it would have been against the current trend of increasing gold value.

Contrary to yourself I do approach things with humility. Have you ever admitted you were wrong and the other party was right in an argument? I do this quite often and if you provide good arguments I will.

But right now all you are doing is insulting me at this point. You are making me say things I have never said and you make false asumptions.

Again, can you answer my questions in bold and skip the rest, that is how you go forward in a debate.
    As you stated, if you provide good arguments(which you've yet to do, or even read anything much less absorb its meaning), I would be the first to admit the other party was correct(by contrast, you've yet to admit you were wrong on the many points I've clearly illustrated you had no idea what you were talking about even from your last post; more hypocrisy from you, surprise surprise). I believe in meritocracy of ideas over personal ego. But when you come into a post on the personal attack as you did, and then have zero comprehension or logical arguments, please don't expect me to follow your high school debate team rules.
    Well high school debates do not exist in my country (France) so I don't know much about the rules. I am a 34 year old software enigneer and well past high school years anyway. I think I understand logic thank you :)
    I ask you questions you keep dodging. You have no arguments here other than copy pasting your economy lessons. You were unable to quote SBI when asked others did it for you. And now you keep dodging and and adding personnal attacks.

Its getting to a point where I have absolutly no clue about what your opinion on the matter actually is. Oh and if you want me to read your posts again, I suggest you do not begin every post with insults because obviously I am not going to bother reading that again. If you want to keep dodging and insulting me I guess ai have nothing more to tell you. I tried to be patient but you seem to be either too immature or too thick to have a proper conversation. Probably a little bit of both.
    Based on your posts you clearly do not understand logic; if it is a language barrier in your reading comprehension then you should probably post in the French forum(Questions et discussions générales).

"You were unable to quote SBI when asked others did it for you." As I already explained, I am not a bibliography of every communication SI devs produce and everything I wrote as communicated by SI is widely known(as I wrote every time, it's not some secret SI has been keeping), my not spoon feeding you every citation does not undermine my points at all especially when anyone that bothered to look for citations confirmed that what I wrote was true. But please, keep grasping at straws, or take your own advice and go find any citation from the dev team that demonstrates that I am lying or "corrupted" their message. Bon Voyage!
  • Elarahis wrote:

YourMother wrote:

Elarahis wrote:

Tu fais bien d'abandonner. C'est très probablement une ado un peu bébête qui estime qu'on "gagne" une conversation en exaspérant et faisant fuir ses interlocuteurs ... Accessoirement, les étudiants américains ne sont pas très bien formés aux discussions argumentées et articulées ....(Et on va voir le niveau de français de la miss Bon Voyage)
  • There will never be a cap on the gold prices, that makes no sense. its a great system to remove silver form the economy as a self regulated rate. it helps mitigate inflation

This system also forces someone to buy gold (with real money) which will be transformed into a silver value based on the current market. if you let the players set that value it will go up as people are able to afford more and expect more.

The global discounts mentioned are the devs trying to maintain a certain state of the economy. treat them as interest rates. the lower interest rates are the more liquid they want the economy to be. The higher interest rates are the less liquid they want it, to a point. They seem to be encouraging the economy to grow quickly to a certain point (for various reasons and game health) then they stop assisting and let the game play out at the players pace.
  • Elarahis wrote:

And namely: are they secretly doing anything that would explain the abrupt increase of the fold price? If you think so then do you have any precise idea of what it could be?
    The recent sharp rise in gold price is easily explained. 30 days + 14 bonus days = premium running out for the 30 day folks at around 44 days... 44 days was a couple days ago. Every wipe had a spike around 30 days, it is normal and expected by people that have played after a few wipes.

Elarahis wrote:

Honestly I don't think gold is too expensive rigjt now, I fear it is going to be much worse.
    I'll be really surprised if it doesn't go over 1k / g in the next few weeks.

• UnGarsQuiBricole wrote:

Elarahis wrote:

YourMother wrote:

Elarahis wrote:

Well high school debates do not exist in my country (France) so I don't know much about the rules. I am a 34 year old software enigneer and well past high school years anyway. I think I understand logic thank you :) I ask you questions you keep dodging. You have no arguments here other than copy pasting your economy lessons. You were unable to quote SBI when asked others did it for you. And now you keep dodging and and adding personnal attacks.

Tu fais bien d'abandonner. C'est très probablement une ado un peu bébête qui estime qu'on "gagne" une conversation en exaspérant et faisant fuir ses interlocuteurs ... Accessoirement, les étudiants américains ne sont pas très bien formés aux discussions argumentées et articulées ....(Et on va voir le niveau de français de la miss Bon Voyage)
    Quite the opposite; just waiting on either of you to provide a well informed thought out argument. From you still waiting on an explanation of what you feel is the difference. How about you write a detailed explanation(with citations of course) explaining how the economy works for the benefit of the thread.

I am actually quite a Francophile and have found all of the large number of French people I've dealt with at home or abroad in France to be very nice and intelligent, very much unlike the misplaced arrogant stereotype you seem to be reinforcing. Bon Voyage indeed!
  • diglosgr wrote:

Can you put a cap at the price of the gold coins at the market? about 200 silver otherwise at its current state the price is going to reach 500-1k per piece and a lot of ppl will just stop playing it without their premium as its going to be imposible to get it
    To get the topic back on track -

games with this payment model will not cap the price on gold, the whole point is for the company to make money
    as the silver in game increases, the gold price will go up because generally speaking, more people have more silver to spend

people will be more likely to sell their gold when it's high, so let's say I sell at 1000, yay me. Someone buys it, so their premium gets paid, or they use it in negotiations.
    when it's used for premium, the gold is removed from the game
    more gold goes into the game to pay for more premium
    etc etc

there's a lot to it, but generally the older the game gets the higher it will rise, eve shows this, as do many other games with tradeable currency / premium
    puttting a cap isnt the answer. finding the way that other people are generating that much silver is, OR what SBI wants - you buy it with your credit card

people like me will happily give away or pay for friends as well
  • It is a shame that people joining the game late have to pay such a huge penalty.

1. They will be far behind in the grind.
    2. Anything they want to sell is dirt cheap compared to early days so they make less money.
    3. Global discount is 0 (later, not now) so everything costs twice as much.

Positive thing is the starting gold will be worth a lot more silver. Starting with 2+ mil silver will be nice. Low tier resources and gear (up to T7 probably) will be cheap.
  • Midgard wrote:

MickeyDankMouse wrote:

I will be really sad (I don't want to have to pay like $90 for a year of premium..that's insane)
    You are kidding right? You can get premium for as little as £6.99 a month ... that's dirt cheap for a months entertainment. I've said it before and I'll say it again ... anyone who cant spare $6.99 a month shouldn't be playing video games. They should be getting off their lazy arses and getting a job.
    I have an amazing job but why would I spend money monthly on something if you don't even end up owning it in the long run...I just want to pay for the game which was $100 for my edition..I don't want to have to pay extra for something that can be bought with money in the game. I just wish the Gold price didn't fluctuate so much. It's not fair to some people who only gather and craft and don't get gold from pvping. That's what I think.
  • MickeyDankMouse wrote:

why would I spend money monthly on something if you don't even end up owning it in the long run
    To enhance your gameplay experience at very little relative cost? Like many millions of players all over the world already do?

Did you ever stop to consider that maybe SBI want a high gold price so that people like you eventually tip over into the category where spending real life cash is less of an inconvenience than endless grinding silver for premium? That it may be their whole business model that pays the bills and keeps the game running?

Your choice of course if you dont wish to do that, and you can of course continue to grind more and more and more silver as the price increases. Sounds like thats what youve decided but for gods sake stop whining about it.
    Midgard
    T8 Fibre, Ore, Hide, Wood & Stone Gatherer
    T8 Gathering Gear Crafter
    T8 Bags & Capes Crafter

The post was edited 1 time, last by Midgard ().

• MickeyDankMouse wrote:

Midgard wrote:

MickeyDankMouse wrote:

I will be really sad (I don't want to have to pay like $90 for a year of premium..that's insane)
    You are kidding right? You can get premium for as little as £6.99 a month ... that's dirt cheap for a months entertainment. I've said it before and I'll say it again ... anyone who cant spare $6.99 a month shouldn't be playing video games. They should be getting off their lazy arses and getting a job.
    I have an amazing job but why would I spend money monthly on something if you don't even end up owning it in the long run...I just want to pay for the game which was $100 for my edition..I don't want to have to pay extra for something that can be bought with money in the game. I just wish the Gold price didn't fluctuate so much. It's not fair to some people who only gather and craft and don't get gold from pvping. That's what I think.
    Youbdo not need to PvP to make gold. In the last 3 weeks I have not been able to play AO because I am on vacation away from home. I played a little using a slow tablet and my cell phone. All I could do is craft and nothing else. No PvP. No gathering, no market flipping. I never left Caerleon in those 3 weeks.

I made enough gold in those 3 weeks to pay for a 1 year sub for 2 of my 3 characters, I will be home in 5 or 6 days and by this time I should have enough to pay for my third character's sub also.

If it takes about 10 days to pay for a 1 year sub by just playing 20 minutes a day I say gold is cheap right now.

The price of gold is not controlled by SBI, asking for a cap means asking SBI to give you gold for your silver. SBI does not take your silver as paiment for gold. your silver is worth shit to them they only take your $.

You can only get gold from other players in exchange for your silver. And if other players are unwilling to sell you cheap gold then SBI is certainly not going to help you because they want ylur $ for the gold, not your silver. Now we can argue on why gold is getting more expensive. 2 possibilities:

- There is too much silver on the market, ie silver inflation. I have not noticed anything like that yet so I don't think that it is what is happening right now.

- Gold is in short supply. If SBI sells less gold (be it through packs or direct gold sale) then gold is going to be in shorter supply. I think that it is what is going on. After the initial release sales, gold and pack sales are probably dwindling a bit.

- An other factor might be that everyone is expecting fold price to rise so everying is basically hoarding gold and buying as much gold as they can while it is still cheap. If players are buying so much gold that they jave way more than they need to pay their premium then the bubble might burst and gold prices could suddently drop. In my opinion it is not likely to happen anytime soon but who knows.
  • Midgard wrote:

MickeyDankMouse wrote:

why would I spend money monthly on something if you don't even end up owning it in the long run
    To enhance your gameplay experience at very little relative cost? Like many millions of players all over the world already do?
    Did you ever stop to consider that maybe SBI want a high gold price so that people like you eventually tip over into the category where spending real life cash is less of an inconvenience than endless grinding silver for premium? That it may be their whole business model that pays the bills and keeps the game running?

Your choice of course if you dont wish to do that, and you can of course continue to grind more and more and more silver as the price increases. Sounds like thats what youve decided but for gods sake stop whining about it.
    I think SBI would be happier with a low gold price. A low gold price would mean that a lot of players buy gold from them and have to compete to sell it on the market and are force to lower their price because too many others are buying gold from.SBI to get silver.

A high gold price means that few people are buting gold whichbis not good for SBI. On the other hand it will force players to pay for theirnpremiumnusing real money. If players pay and do not quit because of high gold price then it is all good for SBI.

Now if players are hoarding more gold then they need to pay their sub (which is probably what is going on) then the price of gold will increase in all cases and this might be good for SBI too.

But if too many players hoard gold there will be a point where their gold will feel useless if theya thousands of gold and a premium paid for 10 years. At this point either the cost of gold will crash or SBI could be very greedy and add some form of in game advantage you could purchase with gold to soak up the gold players hoarded. This would be extremely greedy and I hope it will never happen, but the more gold players hoard, the more tempting for SBI it will be.
  • Elarahis wrote:

I think SBI would be happier with a low gold price. A low gold price would mean that a lot of players buy gold from them and have to compete to sell it on the market and are force to lower their price because too many others are buying gold from.SBI to get silver.
    A high gold price means that few people are buting gold whichbis not good for SBI. On the other hand it will force players to pay for theirnpremiumnusing real money. If players pay and do not quit because of high gold price then it is all good for SBI.

Now if players are hoarding more gold then they need to pay their sub (which is probably what is going on) then the price of gold will increase in all cases and this might be good for SBI too.

But if too many players hoard gold there will be a point where their gold will feel useless if theya thousands of gold and a premium paid for 10 years. At this point either the cost of gold will crash or SBI could be very greedy and add some form of in game advantage you could purchase with gold to soak up the gold players hoarded. This would be extremely greedy and I hope it will never happen, but the more gold players hoard, the more tempting for SBI it will be.
    Hoarding gold would be a problem for SI. If they offer something else to spend it on (Arena items in joseph, island buildings, etc) that should be fixed.

They have metrics on all of this data and I bet they are planning something like this as well. Their ideal situation is to have players spend gold on cosmetics and silver and IRL currency on premium. It would look a lot like the GW2 model. they have a cosmetic store for your armor, minor buffs (time savers), and a gem* exchange. in GW2, for those not familiar, gems are the premium currency and gold is the in game currency.
  • If SBI sells anything other than cosmetic items for gold then the game becomes p2w. I doubt they would ever do that unless the game starts to die. I would instantly quitbif SBI sold non cosmetic items for gold. The price of gold would skyrocket and itbwould become impossible to pay for premium with silver and the gane would be dominated by the p2w crowd. Hopefully this never happens.