The most fun I've had in this game...

• The most fun I've had in this game...

is in yellows.

I'm not a gatherer nor am I a crafter. I have done many black hellgates before and I've constantly ganked in blacks/reds. The problem I find with that is, it's not really fun. Ganking is one of the most boring things possible as you chase a gatherer you've found after 20 minutes of aimlessly walking around for negligible profits after splitting up. It feels like I go out of my way to ruin someone else's fun while not having much fun myself since it's boring and unprofitable (hg/chestfarm is way better). Fighting other gankers can be fun but it takes awhile to find them and when you do fight them, it's not really for profit since they're probably in flat 4/4.1. Black hellgates become stressful because it's expensive to constantly replace gear necessary for them, I see the charm in them with delicious loot and the risk vs reward but it's not something I always want to do if I just want to have some fun. I'd only do these things with a coordinated team that I know. With pugs, there's also the issue of people snatching loot and etc. Pvp in black as a small group is not fun because you seldom get any kind of balanced fight and it becomes a chore to constantly regear and run back out and wander around searching for people in hopes of a fun fight.

Why are yellows so much more fun?

Somtimes I flag up with 1 or 2 buddies and we just go out and fight. It's so much more easier to find people and a majority of the time, these people are willing to fight back cuz hey, it's yellow, they don't lose much if they die. I've had an army of t3 newbies chase me before and just rape my group through sheer numbers. And it's fun, cuz we don't mind getting knocked down too since we don't have to regear. It's fun to gank gatherers here since they are really common and watch them panic while overloaded and I don't feel as bad because at most I pose a mild annoyance to them. It's fun to fight an army of blues who want in on the action because there's low risk.

It's not just that. Fighting for yellow hellgates is some of the most fun shit ever. At peak hours, you can get 4-5 teams hovering around them and you get this great battle going on. People getting sandwiched or backstabbing another team and etc. Relic chests are great for these as well. The loot is shit but I love going to these because you can get to fight. Fights like these are why people got interested in Albion in the first place. I wish yellow zones were fully flagged except without full loot. It would make the game so much more exciting.

Blacks zones are necessary. Full loot and risk in these areas are necessary. The end game is definitely in blacks and the battle to decide who is top dog will be in the blacks. However, locking a vast majority of content into these zones is not necessary.
  • Thai wrote:

Why play a full loot game if u dont like full loot tho
    There are more elements to Albion online that other mmorpgs don't have. If the only part of Albion that interests you is full loot, there are plenty of other edgy full loot games out there like Rust.

Dragnon wrote:

Seriously, just go play every other mmo out there but like 3 of them that don't have full loot. Enjoy
    ??

I never said anything about nerfing or touching the blackzones. I don't understand what your issue is if other people want to enjoy other types of content. Is there something wrong about that? If you've read my post then you'd understand why black is boring. Or is getting t4/4.1 gear from a zerg fight that exciting to you? Or travelling 15 minutes to kill a lone gatherer for about 10k silver profit after dividing amongst your team. Touching yellows in no way affects you.
  • All the nerds who's rebuttal is "go play another MMO if full loot..." make me laugh.

@Egg94, we can only hope that they'll bring more to the end-game than BZ with massive guilds and their drama. It's a bottleneck that'll eventually burn out even those who pine off ganking/grief. I still feel this is the closest thing to my beloved UO so I'll stick around but who knows how long that'll be.
    Stanimal of the Free Trade Company
  • Though I agree on the t4 pvping due to faulty power curve, having more fun in yellows vs blacks is entirely up to player's preference. I don't think you should be emphasizing it that much as if it was objectively true, although you probably never meant it so. But nevermind about that since it's not really important, moving on.

Anyways, I don't understand the statement "However, locking a vast majority of content into these zones is not necessary". I can agree on some content i.e. home territories, but I can't really wrap my head around the "vast majority" part of it. There isn't enough meat around the bones in this game in the first place. It's not like blackzones has dragons to hunt, treasure maps to dig up or new unique areas to explore that nobody else has. It's basically home territories, few extra cluster layouts and few extra tiers to resources and monsters that are basically just reskins, that's it.

Even if we let everybody farm up to t8 freely inside yellows, you'd have the exact same problem you have now with the exception that your tier is 8 instead of 6. And that is just that there isn't enough content as stated above. You guys might not be aware of it since some of you came in just recently, but a massive amount of content has been deleted in albion over the times. Easily over 40+ unique cluster layouts, several items (i.e. throwing weapons), abilities (i.e. offhand abilities), territory types (i.e. silver), resource types (i.e. crystal), even an entire autumn biome.. Furnitures, house skins, etc..

If anything, a vast majority of content has been locked out of the entire game. Just about the only thing we can do is to remind about the destructive loop of deleting/reworking content all the time, since this game badly needs more content. The content has always been good too, it wasn't some subpar junk that didn't fit the standards or anything.

EDIT: ps Nothing wrong with having fun on yellows. Just wanted to point out that the lack of content affects all of us, though probably features that'd add extra replayability would help too. Something that's accessible by everybody, i.e. the blueprints that were written in one of the older roadmaps. The game shouldn't be only about progressing in tiers anyways.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Snowman ().

• Captain's log, stardate 28082017.

The carebear creatures that have plagued the USS Albionforums for over a month now are finally starting to die off or assimilate. The remaining few are weak and hungry. What was once an intimidating presence has been reduced to a simple annoyance. Why won't they just fuck off back to WoW already?

We may never know.
    May our loots never be trashed, and our gears never be looted!
  • Setimu wrote:

Captain's log, stardate 28082017.

The carebear creatures that have plagued the USS Albionforums for over a month now are finally starting to die off or assimilate. The remaining few are weak and hungry. What was once an intimidating presence has been reduced to a simple annoyance. Why won't they just fuck off back to WoW already?

We may never know.
    I might be wrong, but I think that Albion Online revolves around sheep-wolf philosophy. Sheep (aka carebears) gather and craft low tier stuff, prefer low risk-low reward areas with occasional "dips" into red zones (or even black zones with some of 'em sheep friends), where they might or might not get revaged by wolves, then rage on the forums etc. Wolves on the other hand are seasoned players, gankers and PvPers, fighting for black zone territories and so on.

Sheep play a much, much different version of Albion Online when compared to wolves, who plow through top tier content. But what if sheep/carebear players are actually needed in the game? They provide the market with T2-T5 resources (and since the game works the way it does, lower tier mats are needed for higher tier crafting too) and buy low lvl gear aswell. Moreover, if they enjoy the game, they're more likely to renew their game time with real money (tho it's a HUGE speculation on my side) instead of silver. Sheep don't have enough knowledge about the game and it's economy to buy year worth of premium right off the bat.

However... we're on a good way to drive them off the game. Now try to imagine a game with only wolves remaining. Empty low tier maps. Members of big alliances fighting over blacks with scavenged eq only, since no high tier gatherer/crafter will even bother to waste time clicking anything below T5/T6 nodes. Or they will, and due to lack of resources on the market, low tier stuff might get overly expensive. New players (if anyone will bother...) coming into the game might only see desolate lands, dead "yellow" cities, equipment/mounts/perishables that they can't afford and a whole damn army of elitists, just crossing out anyone who does not a have a vast knowledge of the game beforehand. Not hard to imagine anyone quitting fast with this picture in mind.

In my opinion, elitism will kill this game. People are already cynical an aggresive like in a *insert any esport/MOBA game title here*. God forbid anyone interested in the game visiting the forums first before buying it. SBI just can't afford catering to the "wealthy few" of the game. Thinking that you don't need carebears in your hardcore PvP game in the long run is just a fallacy.

Once again - I might be terribly wrong with my way of thinking. Then good for you.

And yes, I am a carebear.
  • I think removing instanced portals from dungeons was actually a bad move. Please remember that when these were removed even more player removimg from the open world mechanics were put in place......expeditions. This means that while ppl used to be able to fight for portals now we just line up in town for them. Many good dungeon layouts and small animal caves used to exist that were good content and provided nice group activities in the open world. So there was content.......we really need some of it back though.
  • Egg94 wrote:

I'm not a gatherer nor am I a crafter. I have done many black hellgates before and I've constantly ganked in blacks/reds. The problem I find with that is, it's not really fun. Ganking is one of the most boring things possible as you chase a gatherer you've found after 20 minutes of aimlessly walking around for negligible profits after splitting up.
    albiononline.com/en/killboard/player/Kh-2t8TmSmyxNJerQATawg
    Looks like you dont know anything about pvp in that game.
  • JohnSnake wrote:

Setimu wrote:

Captain's log, stardate 28082017.

We may never know.
    I might be wrong, but I think that Albion Online revolves around sheep-wolf philosophy. Sheep (aka carebears) gather and craft low tier stuff, prefer low risk-low reward areas with occasional "dips" into red zones (or even black zones with some of 'em sheep friends), where they might or might not get revaged by wolves, then rage on the forums etc. Wolves on the other hand are seasoned players, gankers and PvPers, fighting for black zone territories and so on.

Sheep play a much, much different version of Albion Online when compared to wolves, who plow through top tier content. But what if sheep/carebear players are actually needed in the game? They provide the market with T2-T5 resources (and since the game works the way it does, lower tier mats are needed for higher tier crafting too) and buy low lvl gear aswell. Moreover, if they enjoy the game, they're more likely to renew their game time with real money (tho it's a HUGE speculation on my side) instead of silver. Sheep don't have enough knowledge about the game and it's economy to buy year worth of premium right off the bat.

However... we're on a good way to drive them off the game. Now try to imagine a game with only wolves remaining. Empty low tier maps. Members of big alliances fighting over blacks with scavenged eq only, since no high tier gatherer/crafter will even bother to waste time clicking anything below T5/T6 nodes. Or they will, and due to lack of resources on the market, low tier stuff might get overly expensive. New players (if anyone will bother...) coming into the game might only see desolate lands, dead "yellow" cities, equipment/mounts/perishables that they can't afford and a whole damn army of elitists, just crossing out anyone who does not a have a vast knowledge of the game beforehand. Not hard to imagine anyone quitting fast with this picture in mind.

In my opinion, elitism will kill this game. People are already cynical an aggresive like in a *insert any esport/MOBA game title here*. God forbid anyone interested in the game visiting the forums first before buying it. SBI just can't afford catering to the "wealthy few" of the game. Thinking that you don't need carebears in your hardcore PvP game in the long run is just a fallacy.

Once again - I might be terribly wrong with my way of thinking. Then good for you.

And yes, I am a carebear.
    ^

This.

Most MMOs need both PvP wolves and PvE carebear/sheep for long term health. I'll site EVE Online as an example of what I (and suspect many others) consider a "successful long term game." If a developer caters exclusively to the hard core PvP players, and completely ignores their PvE players, those same self-styled PvP wolves will abandon the game and/or diminish in numbers when the next PvP game comes out, and leave a desolate wasteland in their wake. We've all seen it before...
  • Agreed on the focus on gathering. Cant disagree more on catering to carebears. If they were catering to carebears there would be much better dungeons and open world content.

Currently the game is catering to moba style instanced in town junk, tablet style simplistic maps, and just plain lazy folks who dont want to walk more than 4 zones. Carebears just want to stay out of full loot areas. The safe areas are boring as fk and not worth roaming in. So catering to lazy moba arena style tablet users.......that can be carebears or full loot ppl....its not great materials for infinite safe running as thats boring as shit.

Note: I am not promoting a reduction of danger........I am sore as hell that mobs don't kill and loot me.