Balancing Non-Consensual PvP

• I realize I'm coming late to this conversation and I'm not going to read 25 pages before commenting, but there is a fairly easy way to balance this to make sure the maps are populated with potential non-consensual targets, (just not always good ones.)

Change your formula from PVP kills = N*E*K to PVP Kills = (N-W)*E*K where W is the wrong player to target. You would get more PVPing if gatherers and RD runners have enough incentive to stand and fight.

One way would be to introduce a passive ability that gave those who are heavy an additional advantage. Maybe something akin to an attack bonus for reputation value * weight, (same value used for travel rates,) against players of the opposite reputation. This alone would open up several more options on how players managed their characters without discriminating on one over the other as it could be used by both sides of the issue and make the whole field more dynamic.

There are also several other ways this could be accomplished. but this is my first passing thought amid distractions keeping me from expanding on this at the moment.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Dc1a0 ().

• Moosius wrote:

Coonery wrote:

i just want to gather and PvP without being punished by heavy ass resources! its difficult for solo and small scale players to enjoy gathering without being able to adventure and fight while doing it.
      Warcamps are your friend
      I think that a large % of solo oriented players in AO have no idea what a warcamp is. I had no clue they even existed until I watched some random stream over a year into the game. I always just assumed that all the random stuff on the maps that I didn't understand was guild stuff. Then I found out about them and trips into PvP zones got significantly less risky, since I could empty my inventory much easier. Once you find out you don't have to ride all the way back to town to de-risk, life is much easier.
      Discord: Piddle#7413 "The purpose of existence is simple: everything is fuel for the magmaw." —Jaji, magmaw worshipper
    • Killing mobs is pvm, which is within pve.
      It is like boxes.
      PvM box is in pve box; but some PvE features isnt in PvM box.

If ur gathering in MMO, ur versus envirement eg time and how many think u can gather to get profit/progress. Within PvE box is PvP aswell but that pvp box is more distincted. Player Character are part of envirement, but player arent, so that why it is distinced, the rest is controled by formulas and scripts (mobs nodes etc)
    • Qolkkalom wrote:

Killing mobs is pvm, which is within pve.
      It is like boxes.
      PvM box is in pve box; but some PvE features isnt in PvM box.

If ur gathering in MMO, ur versus envirement eg time and how many think u can gather to get profit/progress. Within PvE box is PvP aswell but that pvp box is more distincted. Player Character are part of envirement, but player arent, so that why it is distinced, the rest is controled by formulas and scripts (mobs nodes etc)
      I am not saying you are wrong, but that isn't how people talk about it. Trying to use your own personal definitions in conversations with people who don't accept them is just a waste of time. The majority has no reason to confine themselves to using words the way you want them to.

Language is about what the majority thinks it is, which is why there is linguistic drift over time. Decimate doesn't mean to remove 1 in 10 anymore. It means to destroy completely. Because as more and more people used it that way it became less and less useful to make a point about it being not technically correct.
      Discord: Piddle#7413 "The purpose of existence is simple: everything is fuel for the magmaw." —Jaji, magmaw worshipper
    • Im going to say the same xD
      I am not saying you are wrong, but...
      I dont agree with you about how language is biulded up.
      Sure, slang language is biulded by "community" however, professional language is rethinked very deeply and is very conservative most of the time... It most of the time protect from deception which usually inflict words when majority(not educeted in specific area) want to add something from themself.

I guess that way You wont say im wrong, because You know Im correct, BUT majority wouldnt get the point as "thier meaning" is too popular. Game Industry is young, so there is very little number of ppl who could work on word creations and or definition, as it require cooperation with humanist (any language degree).

Im not giving my own point of view, im giving point of view against popularity of using definition in wrong way, AND PlayerVersusEnvirement currently by majority of ppl is used incorrectly, because most of ppl have absolutly no idea about development proccess, or what is behind curtain, and im not going to explain what ppl can learn in getting degree in game development.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Qolkkalom ().

• Dacunetc wrote:

^That, except PvE always meant fighting computer-controller entities and never meant gathering, crafting, exploring the map, talking to NPC or whatever.
      Actually no, from the earliest days of MMO's PvE has always meant player vs all aspects of the environment, be it trading, gathering, mob killing, questing or anything else that is environment based.

What you are referring to specifically is PvM - Player vs Monster, a subsection of PvE.
      Pre Patch 16 UO Player - Casual PK/Carebear Crafter - Now Old.
    • Barathorn wrote:

Dacunetc wrote:

^That, except PvE always meant fighting computer-controller entities and never meant gathering, crafting, exploring the map, talking to NPC or whatever.
      Actually no, from the earliest days of MMO's PvE has always meant player vs all aspects of the environment, be it trading, gathering, mob killing, questing or anything else that is environment based.
      What you are referring to specifically is PvM - Player vs Monster, a subsection of PvE.
      ^ I agree with this description of PvE, but maybe its because Im an old player...
      PvE = player vs Environment. Any kind of Environment, that is not other player created (as that would be PVP). Trading with NPCs = PVE, trading AH that other players can use = market PVP

Regardless, I dont even know what the people are arguing about at this point...
    • Captainrussia wrote:

Barathorn wrote:

Dacunetc wrote:

Actually no, from the earliest days of MMO's PvE has always meant player vs all aspects of the environment, be it trading, gathering, mob killing, questing or anything else that is environment based.What you are referring to specifically is PvM - Player vs Monster, a subsection of PvE.
      ^ I agree with this description of PvE, but maybe its because Im an old player...PvE = player vs Environment. Any kind of Environment, that is not other player created (as that would be PVP). Trading with NPCs = PVE, trading AH that other players can use = market PVP

Regardless, I dont even know what the people are arguing about at this point...
      Me neither Darth, but was important to set it straight regardless.

Regards,

A PvPing LumberAxer/PvEing carebear crafter from 1997.
    • Barathorn wrote:

Dacunetc wrote:

Really? Can you back your statement? I haven't heard of "PvM" in a long time. At least in the games I played, PvM (and later farming) started to gain popularity because PvE also included bossing (or raiding).
    • Dacunetc wrote:

Barathorn wrote:

Dacunetc wrote:

Actually no, from the earliest days of MMO's PvE has always meant player vs all aspects of the environment, be it trading, gathering, mob killing, questing or anything else that is environment based.What you are referring to specifically is PvM - Player vs Monster, a subsection of PvE.
      Really? Can you back your statement? I haven't heard of "PvM" in a long time. At least in the games I played, PvM (and later farming) started to gain popularity because PvE also included bossing (or raiding).
      Yes I was part of the EA/Origin Counsellor/Development/Community Team for Europa Shard for Ultima Online. PvE for us back then as the industry standard originally meant Player vs Environment in all forms as explained above, the subsection of PvM - Player vs Monster is a part of PvE.

So unless you are going back to Meridian 59 in 1996 and the terms were different [they weren't but am relying on an old brain now], then its pretty much as explained. I expect as Piddle has stated that the meanings have become warped over the years. Bossing/Raiding as a term came to prominence early 2000's so is at least 3-4 years after the initial launch of MMO's [excluding MUD's].

Hope that answers the original question, unsure quite what it relates to re this topic but there you go.

Happy adventuring!
    • Piddle wrote:

Moosius wrote:

Coonery wrote:

i just want to gather and PvP without being punished by heavy ass resources! its difficult for solo and small scale players to enjoy gathering without being able to adventure and fight while doing it.
      Warcamps are your friend
      I think that a large % of solo oriented players in AO have no idea what a warcamp is. I had no clue they even existed until I watched some random stream over a year into the game. I always just assumed that all the random stuff on the maps that I didn't understand was guild stuff. Then I found out about them and trips into PvP zones got significantly less risky, since I could empty my inventory much easier. Once you find out you don't have to ride all the way back to town to de-risk, life is much easier.
      I think i'd better google what warcamps in albion online is.

#F2Plaunchstruggles
      » ᴘ ᴇ ɴ ɢ ᴜ ɪ ɴ • s ɴ ɪ ᴘ ᴇ ʀ « bit.ly/pokerface-albion
    • PenguinSniper wrote:

Piddle wrote:

Moosius wrote:

Coonery wrote:

Warcamps are your friend
      I think i'd better google what warcamps in albion online is.
      #F2Plaunchstruggles
      Jesus. I need to find you in the blackzones.
      Discord: ChaosCircle#9506

Neighborhood Watch is always recruiting!
    • Happened to me for the first time as well. Was not very consensual I have to say :p He passed me by a couple minutes earlier. I mounted and chased him a little, he kept on going south and I couldnt get close enough to inspect him, see what gear he was wearing. He kept running, so I figured he was afraid of me. Turned back after a while and started on a T7 node. Couple minutes later, the clip below happened.

plays.tv/video/5d1c91fe4cf36ef5c3/spectered

Could I have done anything to not get ganked here? Sure. I could have gone back to whatever place is safe for me immediately after seeing one guy on the edge of my screen. Just mount up and go home as soon as you realize you are not alone in the zone. Weirdly enough, that is the play you have to make while these boots allow you to invis get on top of someone from off-screen. This shit doesnt happen a lot, it is hard to get off and not mess it up. So I'm not really mad about this gank, however unfair it is.

That being said, I don't like the design of this. I made more money earlier than I lost in this death, so for me its all in good fun. But some other, newer, or less active player than myself, may just lose half his bankroll by getting ganked without there being anything he could have done. And thats just not right.