Balancing Non-Consensual PvP

• dadaas wrote:

UO was the best. I really dont understand why someone just dont steal everything from UO and makes it better, graphic, stability and add other fancy smancy stuff, but the core stuff keep intact.
      Can`t agree with that.
      AO is really good game but it really suck that its focused only around guilds solo players can`t get what they can in Ultima where you actually been able to kill 1v3 when u were playing good. AO needs bandages (not 2m cd healing pots) and less mana drop I think. I think that was making in ultima a way for you to handle larger groups really good dmg which u can deal in burst and really good ways for healing ur self, like in mani for mages or bandages, environment that you can use for ur advantage hiding behind buildings ehh yea UO was beast

The post was edited 3 times, last by Mmer ().

• Maybe in low level red zones i.e highbole / shiftshadow where alot of newer players are trying to level up should be anti zerg/multi zone i.e if the party has more than 5 and they kill a solo player maybe the solo player who dies to the zerg 5+ players gets to keep 1 item i.e the most expensive, this would ecourage people to pk in smaller groups in the red zones/ allowing players to gain fame risk a decent weapon and not be worried about losing it to some 10+ zerg group in t4s. black zones however shouldnt be touched.

Or even disable groups of 5+ from being able to attack solo players/groups of under 5, only in red zones, i mean its getting abit stupid these "big zerg guilds" who come into red zones like highbole to kill groups of 5 noobs just trying to gain fame its constant and easy cash for them.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Asaroth ().

• Asaroth wrote:

Maybe in low level red zones i.e highbole / shiftshadow where alot of newer players are trying to level up should be anti zerg/multi zone i.e if the party has more than 5 and they kill a solo player maybe the solo player who dies to the zerg 5+ players gets to keep 1 item i.e the most expensive, this would ecourage people to pk in smaller groups in the red zones/ allowing players to gain fame risk a decent weapon and not be worried about losing it to some 10+ zerg group in t4s. black zones however shouldnt be touched.

Or even disable groups of 5+ from being able to attack solo players/groups of under 5, only in red zones, i mean its getting abit stupid these "big zerg guilds" who come into red zones like highbole to kill groups of 5 noobs just trying to gain fame its constant and easy cash for them.
      If you don't want to take the risk, use a yellow t5 dungeon. It's trivial to learn to outsmart the zergs you mention.
    • Korn wrote:

Valkyrior wrote:

On the other hand, we also think that dungeons as they currently are - i.e. you cannot mount in them, and the teleport takes extremely long - are too much of a death trap with close to 0 chance of escape if a larger PvP group enters in behind you. Changing that might make dungeons more active, and actually could lead to more PvP than we have right now as a result of that.
      We are constantly asking ourselves how we can maximize the amount of PvP that happens in the game world, in a sustainable way.

Do you guys consider that the teleport to safe exit a dungeon takes extremely long? I guess it's too fast right now, the pvp only happens if it is a direct encounter (shortest path of screen, up and down, left and right, no diagonals) if there is any turn between the groups there will be enough time to cast the teleport, it should be a longer time to cast, it's is a tool to make life easier, shouldn't be a scape spell on my view.
    • PudimAzul wrote:

1) Gatherer gear should be cheaper than normal gear. There is no drop for gathering gear and tools.
      No drop = true. But its already cheap as is. In Carleon t8 goes for 50-60k per piece. Thats very cheap IMHO.

PudimAzul wrote:

2) Lumberjacks and quarriers can't do their own sets unless they buy resources. (It makes no sense to do an armor made of stone, I know)
      True. But they are unique I suppose... would not care either way if they fixed it or not. Makes game-play non-linear and creates some interesting demand patterns. Im a stone gatherer, but I make my own gear on an alt.

PudimAzul wrote:

3) It's too hard and expansive to make your own gatherer itens, not worth any single time on that.
      Not true. I can still make gear blow market value on my alt. Of course like all "economies of scale" you need to use focus and laborers (tinkerers), but who said it should be easy?

PudimAzul wrote:

4) There is an IP boost for individual gathering gear that no one uses, like T4, why? You should do an IP for everyone that makes a huge HP for the gatherer to not die so easy by 1 PK. Because gatherers can't fight back, unless the PK is noob.
      T4 skill node still adds a bit of IP to all other tiers... so does every skill node. And you should not be dying to 1 PK. You can either always run (easy) or try your luck (if u think ure good) and fight back.

PudimAzul wrote:

Gathering is too risky for a few rewards, that's why everyone is upset. No one use ox to gather, only in yellow and blue zones, so you get a few resources per run just to avoid gankers. And if you are in black zone you have to use only wolfs or you are dead.
      True. But thats how it works. If you want "easymode" you gather in Blue/yellow. If ganker wants "easymode" - they go out in 4.1. (and solo ganker in 4.1 cant do much, unless maxed)

If you want better returns - you gotta step up the tier and go out into dangerous zones.

Risk-vs-Reward.
    • I tried to edit because that was an old post but ok. Lets begin:

Lets break down to 50k per item (elm, boots, chest, backpack) + lets say armored horse T5 (50k), bag T7 (50k), blood (50k), some tool T8 (50~60k) => That's about 400k without direwolf or swamp dragon.

And set for gankers? T6.1 or T7 is about 150k-200k, max 250k (because bag and cape doesn't matter) with an armored horse T5 (50k), lets say 300k?

There is no way to solo gather T8, let's talk about T7. How many T7 are in one map? How much time it respawn?

Let's finish with risky vs reward, gankers risk 300k to win almost 400k+gathered materials per kill and gatherers risk 400k to do what? 200-300k per 20-30min without enchantment and has to flee from anyone arround (gatherers, gankers, solo FF OW)

That's why I stopped gather and started to gank. It's more profitable (better in prime time), just get 3+ people and than you kill everyone arround. There is no stress.

The funny part is "unless maxed"? Yeah ganker set maxed out is so much harder than gatherer T8....

You said "that's how it work", talking about ganking like it is the core gameplay in game. That's why so many people stop playing, look at this briefing in albion home page:

'Albion Online is a sandbox MMORPG set in an open medieval fantasy world. It has a fully player-driven economy; all equipment items are player-crafted. You can freely combine armor pieces and weapons in our unique classless system – you are what you wear. Explore the world and tackle challenging PvE content. Engage other adventurers in small- or large-scale PvP, and conquer territories. Gather. Craft. Trade. Conquer. Leave your mark on the world.'

Not even albion talks about ganking, because it's just a side effect.

Before I edited, I talked to encorage more Consensual PvP and caravans for non-consensual pvp, there is many things to do with balanced PvP. I love hellgates, gvg, zvz. But ganking? Mehhh it's just to farm on new players and made than stop play before they get into the good content from the game.
    • what if they implemented something where you can hard flag to stay out of combat anywhere, but capped only for a finite amount of time and has a recharge similar to crafting focus or learning points? so you would get, say a maximum 30 minutes or an hour of pvp-invulnerability per day which you can use if you really needed to. im really just thinking about it like if someone was gathering for a bit in BZ, or maybe going to a warcamp to grab stuff out of the chest to run back to Caer. maybe disable it in large groups?

i didnt put too much thought into it besides what i typed, so feel free to expand on it lol.
      signature
    • PudimAzul wrote:

Let's finish with risky vs reward, gankers risk 300k to win almost 400k+gathered materials per kill and gatherers risk 400k to do what? 200-300k per 20-30min without enchantment and has to flee from anyone arround (gatherers, gankers, solo FF OW)
      Okay, even though you are missing a lot of little things (its not as straightforward to just saw "ganker is worth X silver and gatherer is worth Y; if X>Y = broken. It diesn't work like that and its more complex)...

But lets assume for a second that these numbers are correct. So what? I don't see a problem with this? (by your numbers, which are off, but OK) Ganker risks roughly the same as the gatherer Silver wise. More or less balanced, no?

PudimAzul wrote:

That's why I stopped gather and started to gank. It's more profitable (better in prime time), just get 3+ people and than you kill everyone arround. There is no stress.
      Interesting. Maybe I should stop gathering and start ganking if you claim its more profitable. But I play solo, and my combat skills suck, so Im not likely to "gank" anyone... I'll stay t8 gathering I think...

PudimAzul wrote:

The funny part is "unless maxed"? Yeah ganker set maxed out is so much harder than gatherer T8....
      Actually ganker set (claws?) or any set is harder to max then gathering. In beginning of the game (release) I was t8 in maybe 2 months, along with some other top 200 gatherers on the server. We did not have many t8 specc'ed combat toons, and those who were - were top GvG'ers for huge alliances like Money Guild or OOPS... even now (almost a year after release) there are more t8 gatherers then t8 maxed out combat characters...

PudimAzul wrote:

You said "that's how it work", talking about ganking like it is the core gameplay in game
      No, I said "thats how it works" about Risk-vs-Reward. You completely misunderstood me. This has nothing to do with ganking on itself. Ganking is not a core gameplay - I am gatherer here, remember? But I defend ganking (well PVP in general) and Risk-vs-Reward concept. Im against lazy gatherers who think they can gather semi-AFK on an Ox in Red/Black zones lol... that takes risk and preparation.

PudimAzul wrote:

That's why so many people stop playing, look at this briefing in albion home page:

'Albion Online is a sandbox MMORPG set in an open medieval fantasy world. It has a fully player-driven economy; all equipment items are player-crafted. You can freely combine armor pieces and weapons in our unique classless system – you are what you wear. Explore the world and tackle challenging PvE content. Engage other adventurers in small- or large-scale PvP, and conquer territories. Gather. Craft. Trade. Conquer. Leave your mark on the world.'

Not even albion talks about ganking, because it's just a side effect.
      Wait, I dont get it? What does quitting has to do with the message on the front page? Everything said in the message is 100% correct.

And for the record the term "ganking" does not exist outside of gaming slang. "Not even albion talks about ganking" - uuugh...no other game out there talks about ganking anywhere, not a single game! Its just a slang term. In game marketing - they call is PVP... or consensual PVP to be more technical.
    • Haha.Gamer.Guy wrote:

what if they implemented something where you can hard flag to stay out of combat anywhere, but capped only for a finite amount of time and has a recharge similar to crafting focus or learning points? so you would get, say a maximum 30 minutes or an hour of pvp-invulnerability per day which you can use if you really needed to. im really just thinking about it like if someone was gathering for a bit in BZ, or maybe going to a warcamp to grab stuff out of the chest to run back to Caer. maybe disable it in large groups?

i didnt put too much thought into it besides what i typed, so feel free to expand on it lol.
      I plan to use my daily hour of invulnerability to steal all your shit from your territories.
    • Fred_the_Barbarian wrote:

I plan to use my daily hour of invulnerability to steal all your shit from your territories
      flagging up to protect urself from gankers = complete invulnerability xd

30 minutes is probably too much on second thought. would be better if it was an on/off toggle for 100 seconds, weekly maybe? it would just make you unable to be attacked by other players. that way the potential victim has time to slip away, but not too long where the gankers will immediately lose interest.
      signature
    • if you gather with a bloodletter and you are having trouble with gankers that arent riding wolves, then you definitely should pick another profession because running away from ganks is one of the easiest things in this game.
      instead of asking for carebear turn off pvp button, you should learn how to play the game.
      Artificial intelligence will never beat natural stupidiy.
    • It's mostly bigger groups in red zones anyways though. They tend not to scour the map and are easy to stay away from. I have died 1 t ime in red zones since Merlin and that was a fight over a dg. Def not gathering.

Still all the zone changes are nice for PC but they seem to limit my mobile play. Dgs in the yellow zones that were suitable for solo players would help. And a few more yellow zones. Really just convert some blue to yellow for that. Not much to do but farm on the phone mobile (what was I thinking?) and not the same yellow zones repeatedly. Unless they optimize more for phones.

Mobile is the main reason I like yellow zones. It's too clunky for pvp zones. Might just start though as there is no other choice. Hrm... choice.....
    • I mean do you guys even have anything other than pure abstract opinion? Have you even played this on a tablet or phone and have any idea why I mention that it's kinda crap if pvpers are around?

They could have not catered to mobile but they did. Hardcore huh? Neither the bz or red zones are scary at all anymore on a real computer....no mob executions.......the bz is a portal away.....hce are an in town event......if you were looking for hard core pvp this is really not it.

If ppl can fame farm t8 in town why can't I hit up some yellow zones on my mobile? Just so reactive.