Fame Rate for Gathering

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Fame Rate for Gathering

Many many people have added their two cents on how gathering is not worth it monetarily in the game. This thread is not for that topic, though that is actually a concern too. This thread is mainly about the fame gains from gathering, compared to other activities.

I did not play any of the betas. I started on day 1 of the release. Since day 1, I have tried going down the gathering route. It is a bit boring, and a bit repetitive, and quite competitive. In the end though it is definitely not worth it for two main reasons, the money (covered elsewhere), and the fame.

Since launch I have played well over 150 hours (more than most I would venture to guess). About 5% of that time is dicking around doing nothing. 20% of the time has been killing mobs and animals for either silver or fame or both. The other 75% of the time has been gathering, mostly stone, but pretty much every resource I can get my hands on in general.

When you look at the raw data, that is basically 4 times more gathering than killing mobs. Now when I look at my fame, I see a surprising breakdown. I literally have more than double the fame from fighting mobs as I do from gathering, despite spending significantly less time in that facet of the game. So I got to thinking... why is that?

Well, after some thought, it occurred to me that as gatherers, we don't have the same fame opportunities as a fighter. As a fighter, you can fight super low level mobs, and get a very small amount of fame. You could also fight "at level" mobs, and get moderate fame gains. Or you can fight mobs that are substantially above your level, in red and black, and get significant fame gains. You simply don't have the same choices as a gatherer.

First, there is no 'massive fame' option for gathering. You can't go find that one node that spawns often that gives you 5x fame. You get uncommon, rare, and exceptional nodes that spawn infrequently that are very frequently camped by bot farmers. We need something to balance this one thing out for starters. For instance, if we kill a mob, while wearing gatherer gear, that produces a resource (like a rock elemental), THAT kill's fame should count towards our gathering. Or maybe there are 'contracts' we can fill for gathering that could give us a fame boost if completed. Or maybe other resource related activities could be invented (like the study activity for crafting) that could be used to boost the fame.

Next, when we gather in red and black, we have absolutely no fame boost. The fame and rep for gathering in these areas is exactly the same as gathering in lowbie blue and yellow areas. There should be some boost, probably more than a fighter, and I'll tell you why. As a fighter, you are prepared for a fight. You go into red and black to fight high level mobs and other players. You are prepared for battle. As a gatherer, if you are doing it right, you are in gatherer gear. You have no real fighting abilities, and your combat escape abilities are negligibly higher than a fighter in full pvp gear. You are at an EXTREME disadvantage. Not only are you amidst much higher level mobs that you probably cant handle in the gear, but you are also in a high pvp activity zone with little or no protection. Even if you don't solo gather, you are still down on numbers for fighters, since half your group or more are gatherers. This needs solving. Give us the same fame boost as fighting.

Finally, as a fighter, you can group up and do "dungeons" (not really dungeons, but harder-than-solo areas). These areas can provide substantial fame, when you are grouped up. WE NEED THIS for gathering. There should be gathering dungeons, or gathering missions of some sort, where you and other gatherers can group up and knock out some gathering that requires a group effort. Maybe a time limited thing where your team has to mine a certain amount before the time runs out... or something clever.

The bottom line is this. Through my in-game observations, comparing the fame gains from fighting to gathering, I am literally getting 7-8 times more fame per hour on fighting than gathering. Right now, the 'every body is important' tag line is kinda being thrown out the window, since we are not really being treated equally here. I think I speak for most when I say that gathering needs a major overhaul for multiple reasons at this point.

Loushou

The post was edited 1 time, last by loushou ().

• There is no 'massive fame' option for gathering.

Its half true , there is GvG clusters and ressources world bosses :
    > in clusters you can gather the material of the cluster (like wood in forest cluster) with bonus fame , but you need to claim a cluster to do it , or have acces to alliance who have one or steal it in random cluster after killing guards .
    > in rich ressource zones (you can find them on the world map ) there is sometimes big mob spawn , like a big golem for stone or metal , a giant mammoth , depend of the kind of the zone , who give like ... i dont remember but you can gather at least 2000 T6 ressource on him .

But to have acces to both , you need guild who can fight cause its contested spots .
  • FredrickHeimrick wrote:

Gathering is the single best way to make silver, at least for me. I make many millions per day with .2 and .3 materials.
    Yeah? I have been gathering for over 90 hours since launch, and I have only ever SEEN three .3 nodes total, and almost every .2 node I see has a guy with an ox standing next to it, for 6-7 hours at a time. There is no way this could be true, unless you somehow found a zone where no other people are gathering.
  • loushou wrote:

FredrickHeimrick wrote:

Gathering is the single best way to make silver, at least for me. I make many millions per day with .2 and .3 materials.
    Yeah? I have been gathering for over 90 hours since launch, and I have only ever SEEN three .3 nodes total, and almost every .2 node I see has a guy with an ox standing next to it, for 6-7 hours at a time. There is no way this could be true, unless you somehow found a zone where no other people are gathering.
    Despite that, as I said in the post, silver is not really my complaint here. I have learned to live with the fact that gathering is just not profitable, but a necessary evil to run a guild. The complaint is that I dont have the fame opportunities I feel like I should have. 7-8 times more fame for fighting than gathering, is significant enough a difference to warrant a complaint, or at least feedback that it sucks.
  • malek wrote:

There is no 'massive fame' option for gathering.

Its half true , there is GvG clusters and ressources world bosses :
    > in clusters you can gather the material of the cluster (like wood in forest cluster) with bonus fame , but you need to claim a cluster to do it , or have acces to alliance who have one or steal it in random cluster after killing guards .
    > in rich ressource zones (you can find them on the world map ) there is sometimes big mob spawn , like a big golem for stone or metal , a giant mammoth , depend of the kind of the zone , who give like ... i dont remember but you can gather at least 2000 T6 ressource on him .

But to have acces to both , you need guild who can fight cause its contested spots .
    Im gunna have to look into these options. How are then in terms of fame quantity?
  • Ahh the old days of beta.. i.imgur.com/pEziXXq.jpg such a nice fame place.. the t5 was 3/15.. the funny part is that the hide sell the same price as the beta XD in the picture... 3/15 vs 1/5 [picking up 3 per 15, vs picking 1 for 5] Different is that there was no gathering gear those
    days XDDD

for silver to me its ok.. I made t6 houses 8 of them with the rest being t5, I bought gear up to 2mill worth, and couple of t6 gear for some red, t7 for skin set , if I had all my money I would bee at 40mill from gathering alone. and these are small red area and mostly yellow area...

fame: Is very small, doubt it will change much until couple of month when player gets tire of those grind [like every other mmo they increase resources and lessen the grind].

Black vs red vs yellow... According to a friend of mine, he said that he goes to black and they hardly pick flat resources.. This is because he told me that the .1.2 .3 spawn a lot in there and that they don't have time to pick up the flat resources [ Im skeptic about this one, and IMO, I think they don't pick it because of the risk of carrying something that may slow them down for lesser reward]..

my 2 cent.... what you think about the beta fame ^,^?
    goo.gl/xPMhXU
    goo.gl/GK4CMs
    Random dungeon https://bit.ly/2L5TxnS
    Outnumber https://bit.ly/2YEU56n
    Arena https://bit.ly/2ZKD3or
    Hudini: https://bit.ly/2XTonBI
    HGguidance https://bit.ly/2Ymu1gs
  • I agree with OP.

Gathering is boring and too slow to progress. I already have a couple of Guild members that quit the game due to Gathering Burn out. They said "I did not come to play to have a second job gathering for hours a day for very little progress and reward, it is just not fun"... And we have been around for a couple of weeks only too. Really you expect to carry the game on to years how?? When people quit it within two weeks? Clearly there is something wrong here.

Gathering progression should be revised. Too much Grind has been the mistake of many other games in the past calling themselves Sandboxes...they fail due to it..

There are other concerns about the progression, the Refining/Crafting system too could be the issue too. It is so simplistic and may I say stupid (no offense to the designer but hey) it has steel made out of the combination of Bronze ingots and iron just to follow the formula. Steel is made from Coal and Iron. You were not able to find a use for coal in the game? And you call this a Sandbox?

Did you guys missed the memo where most successful games now establish linear progression curves, and eliminate time sinks and dull mechanics of repetition?

Please revise your progression overall, it affects the market prices it affect PvP etc it affects the fun in the game, if you expect people will buy gold to curve the slow progress..you make a mistake that is not how we play. We are here ot have fun not to start throwing our money at the game. Premium subs is enough. Anything beyond that is a Luxury and if it turns out that it is required, then its time to pack up and change game.

I maybe coming out a bit strong here I am somewhat disappointed here it is never fun to lose friends from a game we strive to have fun with all together.

Cheers!
    ~ Duke Suraknar ~

Order of the Silver Star, OSS
    "Everyone dies, not everyone really fights!"
    ESKA, Playing MMORPG's since Ultima Online 1997, OSS Atlantic Shard

The post was edited 2 times, last by Duke Suraknar ().

• Ok I've tried to be nice, now I'm gunna tear into you. Did you even fucking read past the first sentence... I dont think you did, because if you had, you would have seen this "This thread is not for that topic, though that is actually a concern too"... Since you dont seem to be able to get it... that means that THIS THREAD IS NOT ABOUT MONEY. Drop the money problems for a moment and focus that ADHD. This is about FAME. If you dont have constructive information about FAME, then shut the fuck up. Malek provided some insight. Thanks @malek. You on the other hand are taking one fucking sentence out of the whole 8 paragraph diatribe, and making a thing out of it. Just stop. You obviously dont have the mental capacity to read more than a few words. Even repeated attempts to get you to stop have been ignored... so either shut the fuck up, or say something constructive.
  • Look at this :
    7.20 you can see the boss have like 895 000 hp .
    It seem to have like 2500 ressources T6 , you can gather 10 per 10 ,with +5 bonus if you are premium user .
    I dont know how many fame it give per pick up but as its more than what you gather on a normal T6 mob or spot i think it give a lot (per pick up , and more again if you are the focused gatherer and gather all alone).

Like its an open world boss , i think the anti zerg mechanic who increase hp and power of the boss trigger at something like 11 or 12 peoples hitting .

The post was edited 1 time, last by malek ().

• Duke Suraknar wrote:

I agree with OP.

Gathering is boring and too slow to progress. I already have a couple of Guild members that quit the game due to Gathering Burn out. They said "I did not come to play to have a second job gathering for hours a day for very little progress and reward, it is just not fun"... And we have been around for a couple of weeks only too. Really you expect to carry the game on to years how?? When people quit it within two weeks? Clearly there is something wrong here.

Gathering progression should be revised. Too much Grind has been the mistake of many other games in the past calling themselves Sandboxes...they fail due to it..

There are other concerns about the progression, the Refining/Crafting system too could be the issue too. It is so simplistic and may I say stupid (no offense to the designer but hey) it has steel made out of the combination of Bronze ingots and iron just to follow the formula. Steel is made from Coal and Iron. You were not able to find a use for coal in the game? And you call this a Sandbox?

Did you guys missed the memo where most successful games now establish linear progression curves, and eliminate time sinks and dull mechanics of repetition?

Please revise your progression overall, it affects the market prices it affect PvP etc it affects the fun in the game, if you expect people will buy gold to curve the slow progress..you make a mistake that is not how we play. We are here ot have fun not to start throwing our money at the game. Premium subs is enough. Anything beyond that is a Luxury and if it turns out that it is required, then its time to pack up and change game.

I maybe coming out a bit strong here I am somewhat disappointed here it is never fun to lose friends from a game we strive to have fun with all together.

Cheers!
    Excellent points. Thanks for the support and alternate views.
  • malek wrote:

Look at this :
    7.20 you can see the boss have like 895 000 hp .
    It seem to have like 2500 ressources T6 , you can gather 10 per 10 ,with +5 bonus if you are premium user .
    I dont know how many fame it give per pick up but as its more than what you gather on a normal T6 mob or spot i think it give a lot (per pick up , and more again if you are the focused gatherer and gather all alone).

Like its an open world boss , i think the anti zerg mechanic who increase hp and power of the boss trigger at something like 11 or 12 peoples hitting .
    Im definitely gunna look into this. This is kinda what I was saying in #3 of my list. A 'dungeon' (non-solo-area) that promotes group play with a resource bonus. I like it. Thanks Malek (still like to see responses for #1 and #2)
  • I dont like instanced places , so i hope they will not do groupe instanced resource gathering content .
    But something like random spawn in the world , maybe only black zone , portal who lead into places with elementals of stones , metal , wood , fibers or just big beasts could be done .
    Or maybe in places like tunnels , add ressources miniboss like there is in dungeons or random camps in the world , with sometimes elite spawn with more hp/power and who give better tier ressources .