Questions and Answers time

• Questions and Answers time

Have some questions / suggestions from a former Game developer (about 8 years ago). Im hoping to open dialogue among other players and see what they love and hate in the game. What is keeping you here? What is keeping you away?

1. Why do other characters on your account not have learning points or account bonus..? It seems like a mobile game (of which Ive worked on numerous) where it wants to try and nickle and dime you for things that should be standard. This becomes more apparent with buying Gold in game that you can convert to silver, to purchase items in game... While not exactly Pay 2 Win, it basically is. It doesnt take long to skill up to use something outside of your level range. At release you could see the people who bought Gold, purchased plots, and have reaped exponential rewards because of it. Im waiting for them to have a small fee to purchase Learning Points (mark my words Ive worked in this industry enough). When you see the LP required for certain material gathering, you know its only a matter of time.

2. Massive disparity in classes and the money they lose when they die in PvP. By this I mean my Tank buys a weapon for 21,500 (current Morning Star T5 price) , and my brother who is a healer pays 13,500 for his weapon. Knight Armor 7,000 vs his Cleric Robe 3,400. When we add it all up, there can be a 2x to 3x or more disparity in cost per death. This affects the way people play as it is a negative detractor in PvP fights. Heck it was enough to make me switch to a caster. My deaths are substantially less, and I am a range character now so front line worries are a thing of the past.

3. Are Hellgates broken? I ask this because in 2v2 we either dominate, have a fair even fight, or get completely rolled. When you look at gears, there seems to be a massive disparity in character and item power, as if anyone of any tier can come on in (ex. T7. 8 can go into a T4 and wreck). I have tested going into a low level 2 man HG, going in with 4.3 gear of outstanding or better, and still getting utterly rolled like I wasnt even there. I know it has to be some sort of issue, because the monsters, even the bosses die in a few swings, but like I said, you roll the enemy due to a gear disparity, or you get rolled due to a disparity. So whats going on?

4. Why is inspecting people in PvP a thing.. Especially in Red and Black zones? All I see are people riding around, inspecting people, and they attack those that they know they can kill, and run from those they cant. Ive done it myself just to limit risk, but at the end of the day its just sorta cheap and lessens the experience and the rush of the unknown.

5. HG portals needs to be redesigned somehow. I really love how Darkness Falls was done in Dark Age of Camelot (their pvp dungeon). Currently I see something similar to item #4. People "scout" the monster, inspect the group, and run off to tell their guild or group. Usually in most cases I've seen, the person/group who first starts the HG monster loses. Everyone else (usually 2 groups) is just hanging out outside visual range just waiting for you to start it, so they can come in, clean up, and have the advantage of the monster being on the tank or a healer. Again, really cheapens the PvP experience.

6. Class balance. There are some seriously broken things in this game, too many to go into. Hence cookie cutter roles, items, and specs and guild requirements of most guilds who wont even acknowledge you if you go against the grain and try something else.

7. How is this game years in alpha/beta, and a bit into release and still tons of items dont work as they say, have broken tooltips. ex. Frazzle - Deals magicl (yes its spelled like this) damage and reduces the target's resistance by [wrongtag] for [wrongtag] Another example is the Incubus Mace. It says the E ability is [instant] but it is definitely not. Not only does it have a cast time of around a second or more, it is also a cone you have to aim, and youre stuck in the casting animation. These issues are rampant in this game and leave people either mad because they wasted time and money to get something that doesnt work as intended, or it leaves people wondering what exactly something does and for how long if all it says is [wrongtag].

8. Can there be a way to know whats a 1 hand weapon and a 2 hand weapon?

9. Artifact items seem so poorly designed and half hazardly thrown into the mix.
    • They seem silly to have in the current incarnation of the game since almost no one uses them in PvP due to them dropping and being out a good portion of silver. I really only see them used by 1) people just dueling 2) by guilds that have nothing but guilds full of crafters pumping money and resources at them. At that point, meh who cares. But that experience is not for the majority of the games players.
    • If you like something like dual swords for instance, guess what? You got nothing you can work towards. There is only a 1h artifact sword, and a 2h artifact cleaver. This is the same for all the items. Why?
    • For some classes, the artifact weapon is the weapon of choice. However, you back to to square one because investment + risk of loss makes it undesirable.

10. Arcane spec, I rarely if even see them; most even calling them weak or pointless in the grand scheme of things. Seems to be a pretty decent support role, except all its ranges are pretty bad for what they want you to do; support. For instance, the Protective Beam is a 9 meter channeled spell that applies a shield every 1s onto an ally. Albeit, the shield absorption is great, the range is bad. Consider the Priest Divine Protection is 12 meters. Not to mention the miniscule area affect (maybe 2 meters?) of it seems to really put a damper on it. When every caster is hitting from 9-15 meters and Archers in some cases getting abilities hitting up to 24 meters, and Spear hitting 11 meters with a baseline Forest of Spear....you see there is an issue. So what can be done?
    • Make the cast range 11 meters from 9 meters to bring it more in line with other support spells.
    • Make the channeled shield also affect yourself so you arent sitting there waiting to die while channeling.
    • If wanting to keep it at short range, allow possible movement while channeling.
    11. Why is it 2017 and you are FORCED to go to a town, be near a portal, and queue for an expedition. Your ENTIRE party (if you group up with friends or guild) has to ALL be near the portal. If youre solo, you most likely wait forever unless youre a tank, in which case its basically instant. Just like you said, it may crash, it may kick you to login, or it may just put you in black screen of death. All for you to have to do it all over again.

12. Adding to point #11. HOW in gods green earth can you not have a system which allows you to queue as what YOU want to play as? In a game where people are able to wear any armor or weapon, many times I have been queued as tank just because of a plate bp, yet im a caster.... There is no way around it but to go ahead and have a separate item in your bag that you have to wear when you queue (and it has to have good item power or you wont meet requisite).

13. Truly "DDOS" attacks? The game is literally down every day since release, or something is completely broken on any given day. Other day it was expeditions were broken, then it was expeditions and all Hellgates wont spawn. Then it was dont zone or youll get stuck! I mean come on...

14. The MODs are total cancer. Yesterday my brother was muted (unable to do any typing in game to communicate) because a MOD said something like "help chat is not for general discussions or trolling". My brother randomly then says something like "are you going to censor people?" and then the MOD mutes him and says something to the effect of "dont make me chemotherapy you". It was an off putting remark from a system of MODs which had already pissed me off before. I have had an open ticket since the game released. I bought gold from them, it went to an account that didnt exist because I put my email wrong by accident. Tried to get it fixed and to this day I have no response.

Ill add more to this, but need to get going.

The post was edited 1 time, last by HellraizerHHH ().

• most of this is stupid, but...

2 is because it is an open market. Meaning there is more demand for your items, and your brother's build is probably trash.

3 I am conviced this was a joke.

4 because scouting is part of pvp. It allows you to plan how you will kill your opponent. If you're using it to only take fights based on the tier of gear someone has on... Welcome to the gutter tier of albion online.
  • HellraizerHHH wrote:

1. Why do other characters on your account not have learning points or account bonus..? It seems like a mobile game (of which Ive worked on numerous) where it wants to try and nickle and dime you for things that should be standard. This becomes more apparent with buying Gold in game that you can convert to silver, to purchase items in game... While not exactly Pay 2 Win, it basically is. It doesnt take long to skill up to use something outside of your level range. At release you could see the people who bought Gold, purchased plots, and have reaped exponential rewards because of it. Im waiting for them to have a small fee to purchase Learning Points (mark my words Ive worked in this industry enough). When you see the LP required for certain material gathering, you know its only a matter of time.
    Alts only exist to get you to spend on premium for them. Originally the game didnt even have multiple characters per account, and there is no legitimate reason for them to exist within the base game mechanics, they can only exist as a means to extract additional premium.

Class balance is a thing but only because they really failed to make different builds viable for different situations. So you have these optimal setups for specific tasks. This was either done intentionally with the intent of forcing people to grind multiple complete gear sets or is just a sign of bad design (id argue the former is also a sign of bad design, but indirectly)

8. you can check based on the amount of resources it takes to craft that item, which can be displayed by inspecting the item

10. arcane is an example of class balance above. It can be very very powerful but it really seems to shine in larger scale but non zerg, which really limits its actual implementation. There are videos of it being used to amazing effect in 20v20
  • Erika wrote:

Alts only exist to get you to spend on premium for them. Originally the game didnt even have multiple characters per account, and there is no legitimate reason for them to exist within the base game mechanics, they can only exist as a means to extract additional premium.
    Rep system. create main with max alt. lvl to t4 on each [friend said 1-2days], reach dreaded, switch to alt, reach dreaded switch to alt, reach dreaded switch to alt.. wait for decay.. repeat ^,^
    goo.gl/xPMhXU
    goo.gl/GK4CMs
    Random dungeon https://bit.ly/2L5TxnS
    Outnumber https://bit.ly/2YEU56n
    Arena https://bit.ly/2ZKD3or
    Hudini: https://bit.ly/2XTonBI
    HGguidance https://bit.ly/2Ymu1gs
  • <8. Can there be a way to know whats a 1 hand weapon and a 2 hand weapon?>

Yes, you buy it and put it on ;)

I get a lot of your questions. Some stuff is broken or not working quite right.

But the big issue I have is that this supposed PvP game is more about grinding skills and gathering resources than PvP. Essentially you grind to PvP a little bit. No thanks. Could be a 'ganker' but that is not real PvP IMO either. Sure, occasional good fights to be had but this game is mainly a PvE game. Most everyone will be PvEing 80% or more of their playtime. Like I said, no thanks, far too little honest/competitive s8 up fights in AO.
  • Finalhecate wrote:

Rep system. create main with max alt. lvl to t4 on each [friend said 1-2days], reach dreaded, switch to alt, reach dreaded switch to alt, reach dreaded switch to alt.. wait for decay.. repeat ^,^
    Thats a side effect of alts existing, not a reason for them to exist. If they intended the system to be so easily circumvented they wouldn't have bothered implementing it in the way it currently is. Its an element of the mechanics that got inadvertently destabilized when they decided to go for maximum profits.