Arcane staff related questions

Diese Seite verwendet Cookies. Durch die Nutzung unserer Seite erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass wir Cookies setzen. Weitere Informationen

• Arcane staff related questions

Hey there <3

Long story short, what's the current state of Arcane staves?

I've been playing with my guildies for around 1 week, and after trying everything else, I would like to give it a try :)

Any advice is MUCH apreciated.

PS: Just in case, I play with 160ms

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von LeRorito ()

• boli schrieb:

If by "current state" you mean "it is in a meta comp of some sort" then no.

If you wonder if it's good in pretty much every aspect of the game, then yes.

Druid heal is making a big come back, and it turns out that arcane pairs very good with the HOTs that can't counter bursts.
      Yeah, the second one.

-What are the most viable staves for small comps? (for hellgate, maybe for ganking)

-Is there any way to reduce Arcane protection's cooldow to sub 3 seconds?

Thanks in advance again :)
    • LeRorito schrieb:

boli schrieb:

If by "current state" you mean "it is in a meta comp of some sort" then no.

If you wonder if it's good in pretty much every aspect of the game, then yes.

Druid heal is making a big come back, and it turns out that arcane pairs very good with the HOTs that can't counter bursts.
      Yeah, the second one.
      -What are the most viable staves for small comps? (for hellgate, maybe for ganking)

-Is there any way to reduce Arcane protection's cooldow to sub 3 seconds?

Thanks in advance again :)
      For solo ganking, i couldn't recommend a staff. if you're with a small group however, frost, or any staff that offers slowing and/or cc would be ideal. For HG's, arcane is great, but i wouldn't suggest frost as the fights go very quickly - Heavy dps and cc are kings in both situations.
    • Solo Arcade is a bit tricky. Thats why you dont see that many players playing.

That said, Arcade is one of the most vercitile weapons in the game when not the most.

Personaly I have a so called active Arcade build or hyper build (see link):

albiononline.com/en/characterbuilder/solo-builds/view/10164

Keep in mind that there are a lot of kinds of Arcade builds. I just like this one.

Edit: I do this with a ping of 240 (down side of living in South Africa)

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von Kclikola ()

• Kclikola schrieb:

Solo Arcade is a bit tricky. Thats why you dont see that many players playing.

That said, Arcade is one of the most vercitile weapons in the game when not the most.

Personaly I have a so called active Arcade build or hyper build (see link):

albiononline.com/en/characterbuilder/solo-builds/view/10164

Keep in mind that there are a lot of kinds of Arcade builds. I just like this one.

Edit: I do this with a ping of 240 (down side of living in South Africa)
      Yeah it is a very fun support weapon but, as you pointed out, it completely lacks any soloing or damage potential which is why it is not my primary, or even secondary, weapon. Sandbox Interactive really need to start looking at making more powers available as currently most builds are, due to lack of powers, either entirely tank, DPS, healer or support. Can't really mix it up due to the low number of abilities.
    • From a purely pve solo point of view, Arcane suffers from being very hard to optimize.

Frazzle, for example, is a totally decent nuke. The range is shorter than Holy's Smite, but otherwise it's identical in cast time and damage, and it reduces your target's resists (by how much is unclear, as the tooltip is broken). When this effect is taken into account, you actually do more damage than Holy.

Now, that's a pretty low bar, but it means that it's actually slightly better than the 'support staff' standard. In fact, it's not far off frost bolt, although it clearly lacks the other two damage skills on the frost staff. And if you can start stacking cast-time reductions, it starts to get even better.

However, cast time reductions do nothing for you other main skill - Arcane Shield. The cool-down on this skill is such that, in practice, you cannot maintain 100% up-time on the shield, even before you start having it break early for damage. Getting the most out of this skill means stacking cool-down reductions. A 20% reduction will get you a 4 second cool-down, which is just ridiculously better than 5 seconds.

The fact that the staff is being pulled in two different directions, cool-down reduction and cast-time reduction, while not having a meaningful E skill for soloing (Witchwork staff aside) means that very few people want to make this their primary weapon.

To make matters worse, Arcane also suffers in expeditions. Arcane Beam is only as good as the dps you get paired with. If you get in with a cloth wearing dagger wielder, the two of you are going to tear up that expedition. Between shields and beam, you make that guy a demigod.

However, if you get paired with 'dps' that consists of a two handed axe in soldier's armor and a bow user in leather, you are going to get kicked so that they can find some 'real' dps. And no, they are not interested in watching you switch to Frazzle spam.

So leveling it solo is a pain, and leveling it in a group is a pain. So not a lot of people are leveling it.

Which is a shame, because it's one of the most fun weapons in the game. If they were to make Frazzle an instant cast, 1.5 sec cooldown, for example, a lot of the weapon's issues would be solved.
    • Having 100% uptime on a shield is pointless, since it`ll be breaken by damage anyway - even if you have big shield number on paper, since it recieves plain damage not reduced by armor/ressists. For shield you need cloth chest and leather helmet/boots as well horn - shield scales with Damage bonus, so having plate/leather shield arcane is pointless and only really viable shield build is cloth, 1h staff and mistcaller. Making any form of Arcane "hybrid" or "all round character" is pointless.

Arcane excels in some aspects, but you have to pick exactly what role you want to focus on and thats it:
      - mana bot in PvE dungeons or mass pvp for your team mates
      - "bodyguard" applying shield on short CD on charging tank or dps.
      - heavy CCer/Buffer in plate

Overall, most demanded role for arcanist atm is simple mana bot - as with 1h staff and reduced cooldowns from mistcaller and food, you can keep up mana for 10-15 people alone (unless its all fire and frost mages spamming abilities...). However, its also boring way to play that requires a lot of concentration, so not very rewarding. The beam buff used to be popular, but essentially having another ranged dps would be more useful instead.

Arcane shield will not protect you in solo pvp situations - regardless of everything, you are nor dps nor tank. It is usfull when applied to others, but that meens you need to be in cloth and in short (9m) range to the target that is on frontline. In mass pvp pretty useless, in hellgates/gvg might be useful - however, generally: having a one "proper" additional DPS/Tank/healer in team would be prefferad to Arcanist.

It is however not useless class by all means, as its abilities are situationally needed in PvE mostly:
      - mana for raid
      - shield on tank on tough bosses
      - mana drain on bosses

I switched from full time arcane to something more fun and easy (try keeping up mana for dozen+ people for few hours of non stop farming) and dont regret it, despite party complaining they want mana bot. Arcane ultimatively is too passive. I`d better it worked somewhat more like Guild Wars Mesmer class rather than the pure shield/mana support.