Did the DDOS hurt AO that bad?

Diese Seite verwendet Cookies. Durch die Nutzung unserer Seite erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass wir Cookies setzen. Weitere Informationen

• Did the DDOS hurt AO that bad?

Unless im misreading the ingame list, AO's all time high was 228,964 characters. Last week was 114,923, and at the start of this weekend is around half of that. Am i misreading that? Surely the DDOS couldnt have done that much dmg.

Heres to hoping for a spike when IOS comes out.
    • The DDOS issues are still happening as far as I'm concerned - they haven't implemented a fix. They've made progress, but it's FAR from resolved - ping issues they introduced makes the game unplayable for a bunch of folks. Most people I've spoken to in game are over it. If they haven't resolved it by the weekend I'd say the game's dead. If your numbers are right, I'd expect it's downhill from here.
    • Shaiton schrieb:

Unless im misreading the ingame list, AO's all time high was 228,964 characters. Last week was 114,923, and at the start of this weekend is around half of that. Am i misreading that? Surely the DDOS couldnt have done that much dmg.

No but red and black zones happned. Players are now faced with what full loot means...you dont have to die that meny times before your economi go to shait.
    • Poffo schrieb:

Shaiton schrieb:

No but red and black zones happned. Players are now faced with what full loot means...you dont have to die that meny times before your economi go to shait.
      ?????? How the fuck does full loot PvP negatively impact the economy?
      "Everything in the world is about sex except sex. Sex is about power."
    • MagicRasta schrieb:

Poffo schrieb:

Shaiton schrieb:

The auction house is full of looted gear selling for much less than its crafting value...understand?
    • Poffo schrieb:

Shaiton schrieb:

I believe it.

I'm the biggest advocate for what this game is... but I tell ya, it's not easy losing a big haul. Just today, I was riding from one of my guild holdings to another with a full load of supplies. Tier 6, Tier 5 horse. Tier 6-7 hides. This guy was coming opposite of me... and immediately turned around and started galloping away. I was amused, assuming he was afraid of me. I just kept going, letting him run from me, thinking he was an idiot.

In hindsight, I realized I was the goddam idiot.

Low and behold, 8 unmounted guys from the same guild blitz into me... knowing exactly where I was because their buddy the scout "baited" me in. And even then, I almost got away... it wasn't a perfect ambush. They only landed one CC. I took 3/4ths my horses life, rode around, was home free. They had ONE last guy covering the opposite side of the road who was able to dismount me. And EVEN then, I was in full Escape/Evade gear... but I misplayed my abilities out of panic and got ketchup-packeted.

So I lost way more than I wanted to, got pissed and I logged out. Can't even bring myself to play again tonight because I'm so tilted at myself... because the biggest mistake I made was not all those misplays. It was not reading the situation from the get-go. This guy's running from me. He's reacting to me... is he *really* afraid, or is he baiting? Anyone worth their salt knows two mounted folks ride into each other, no one's hurting the other. So this guy *had* to be baiting me... or at very least, monitoring my location for his buds. The winning play woulda been turning my ass around and going another route. And that's the most frustrating part of this whole thing.

I can see how people can take those first few big deaths hard and not come back. I know I'll be back tomorrow with a lesson learned. A hard death with more than you were okay losing *fucking sucks*... and when you take a real hard one, you can't help but map out all the ways you fucked up huge and paid for it and try to learn from it.

It's hard, but that's what makes this game great.

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 10 mal editiert, zuletzt von RockLobster ()

• Shaiton schrieb:

AO is bleeding players very fast.

DDoS attacks were important but the main thing is now people are reaching the level that leads them to red/black zones and most of them leave the game after being killed and fully looted several times.

I fear the worst when the original premium time plus the compensation ends...well, from what I have been reading from the "PvPer's" they will remain playing this game forever...
    • MagicRasta schrieb:

Poffo schrieb:

Shaiton schrieb:

Well if you die with your horde and your crafting gear at a point you dont have ressources to buy new stuff...or it gets too damn hard...i think that looses some players thats all...and i think its fine as it is...just expresing what i think might happen and is happning. + euro hollidayz are over :) and this game takes up a lot of time :)
    • CodeNameGame schrieb:

there were 229k players online? are you sure thats correct? There was only around 229k players on the fame rankings and the majority has only 1 fame when i checked today
      i said characters. I understand a very large percentage has alts, but a drop like this is still alarming. I absolutely love this game, i have almost 11days played, but this drop is pretty drastic. I remember SWtOR had a similar drop, but it took a cpl months for it to become apparent.
    • RockLobster schrieb:

Poffo schrieb:

Shaiton schrieb:

I believe it.
      I'm the biggest advocate for what this game is... but I tell ya, it's not easy losing a big haul. Just today, I was riding from one of my guild holdings to another with a full load of supplies. Tier 6, Tier 5 horse. Tier 6-7 hides. This guy was coming opposite of me... and immediately turned around and started running. I was amused, assuming he was afraid of me. In hindsight, I realized I was a complete goddam idiot.

Low and behold, 8 unmounted guys from the same guild blitz into me... knowing exactly where I was because their buddy the scout "baited" me in. And even then, I almost got away... I took 3/4ths my horses life, rode around, was home free. They had ONE last guy covering the other side of the road who was able to dismount me. And EVEN then, I was in full Escape/Evade gear (Ambush/Block/Wonderlust + Double Bladed Staff)... but I misplayed my abilities out of panic and did Ambush before Wonderlust and effectively wasted my Ambush.

Had I just Wonderlusted before Ambush and saved my E (and not used it like an idiot when first dismounted)... I'd have had 5 stacks of Wonderlust while flying out of Ambush and left everyone in the dust. Drop a Sticky pot behind me run out Wonderlust, remount, and I'm home free.

But because I'm bad at this game, I lost it all... and got so pissed, I logged out and can't even bring myself to play again tonight because I'm so tilted at myself... because the biggest mistake I made was not all those misplays. It was not reading the situation from the get-go. This guy's running from me. He's reacting to me... is he *really* afraid, or is he baiting? Following him is a 50/50 chance of a very bad situation. The winning play woulda been turning my ass around and going another route. And that's the most frustrating part of this whole thing.

I can see how people can take those first few big deaths hard and not come back. I know I'll be back tomorrow with a lesson learned... but the worst thing this game does to you is what it makes you do to yourself when you map out all the ways you fucked up huge and paid for it. It's hard, but that's what makes it great.
      I feel you man, lost a t4 ox full of refined...and i know ox traveling in red zone is a chance...but i took that chance and got a big loss...:)
    • Keep in mind there's only one single server for the entire playerbase. I don't think there will be population issues. The game needed to lose people and it's natural to have a dropoff. It's just that this game is going to have a really big one because of the way the game is.
      Holy Priest Healer - Rangers of Celidon
    • I thought everyone knew the game failed? Not like failed like shutdown, but failed like Shadowbane, or Darkfall..

Luckily the game can still survive with ~5,000 active players. The business model of SI is actually designed pretty well for a failed game. Because everyone needs premium. 5,000 players will still generate $50,000 a month, which is enough to have one programmer and a community manager on staff.
    • angrad schrieb:

I thought everyone knew the game failed? Not like failed like shutdown, but failed like Shadowbane, or Darkfall..

Luckily the game can still survive with ~5,000 active players. The business model of SI is actually designed pretty well for a failed game. Because everyone needs premium. 5,000 players will still generate $50,000 a month, which is enough to have one programmer and a community manager on staff.
      Both Shadowbane and Darkfall shutdown .
    • angrad schrieb:

I thought everyone knew the game failed? Not like failed like shutdown, but failed like Shadowbane, or Darkfall..

I start to believe you are right and to understand why they made Caerleon the only city and reduced the size of the map immensely...now it figures!
    • Dragnon schrieb:

angrad schrieb:

After 3 years...
    • angrad schrieb:

Dragnon schrieb:

angrad schrieb:

After 3 years...
      I would imagine SBI made so much $$$$ during the last 2 years of beta and the initial release they could float this game for at least a few years even if its not growing.