People saying to blame the DDOSers and not SBI:

• UnGarsQuiBricole schrieb:

You can curse the robbers, but you know that in a few your money will be available anyway. So you wait patiently ?

If I had to choose between a few days of partial unavailability of the game and a goldsellers invasion in game, no problem, I'd far prefer the situation we are in right now.
      Sorry for double post, but I had to respond to this one.

The thing is, DDOS could have been prevented if they simply invested into security measures (and they were not low on fucking funds). DDOS isn't some universal omnipotent tool, if that was the case then edgy hackers would be crashing society and destroying ze interwebz. So, they could have stopped goldsellers AND prevented DDOS. I don't know why we have to choose between two evils when there was an alternate and better route to take.
    • Egg94 schrieb:

UnGarsQuiBricole schrieb:

You can curse the robbers, but you know that in a few your money will be available anyway. So you wait patiently ?

If I had to choose between a few days of partial unavailability of the game and a goldsellers invasion in game, no problem, I'd far prefer the situation we are in right now.
      The thing is, DDOS could have been prevented if they simply invested into security measures (and they were not low on fucking funds). DDOS isn't some universal omnipotent tool, if that was the case then edgy hackers would be crashing society and destroying ze interwebz. So, they could have stopped goldsellers AND prevented DDOS. I don't know why we have to choose between two evils when there was an alternate and better route to take.
      If they had put in place an oversized protection without certainty of an attack, this would have been a really bad decision. They are just out of years of development, you can bet they have debts to pay and that every euro is important. They'll know if they will survive, die or prosper in a year or so.
    • Egg94 schrieb:

If you place your money in the bank, and the bank gets robbed and you found out the reason it got robbed was because it had basically put in zero effort into setting into place security measures...

...do you blame the air headed thieves or the bank? Clearly, all the blame lies on the thieves. It should be obvious. Just like how SBI is completely fault free in the recent DDOS incidents. Get your shit together, haters. Blame the real perpetrators behind you being unable to play.
      According to the site "Storm on Demand"

DDoS protection can range anywhere from $500 a month to over $3,000 a month. You will likely exceed the $3,000 a month limit if you have seen the types of attacks used on the website "Digital Attack Map".

It makes sense for the company to not invest in DDoS protection during the early access release of a game, regardless of how it will affect the populous.

There is no telling how severe an attack will be or even if there will be one at all. Even if there is an attack, you need to make sure it won't just wimper out in a fortnight. Otherwise you will lose the revenue stated above. Regardless of how the populous takes the DDoS, there will still be a massive influx of players being that the game is still new, and it has a hype train behind it.

Even after they ordered the hardware for the protection, you still need to have it shipped to you, which as a business you will likely not use overnight express as it's all about cost effectiveness. Once the hardware arrives, you need to have a technical officer install it and if you do not have one on site you need to place in an order for one either from a parent company or a contractor.

This tech officer will need to be in contact with the server to monitor it nearly 24/7. The software that the hardware is running will need adjustments as the attackers change their tactics.

All of this costs money, and it will require someone to work the books to make sure the budget balances out and won't drive daily operations into hardship.

Even if the game is shut down for a month, the attackers will just come back to DDoS the servers again, the servers must remain up to show that the attacks will have no effect in the long term.

While the server is up, there is always a chance that the system will be improved to the point where the attacker is out-classed.

Think of this as a siege and you will understand, SBI is waiting on the reinforcements of the tech division, while the attackers are pillaging the villages hoping to force the publisher to the negotiating table.

The community manager is on staff regardless so it's easier to just assign "Keep the peace" to the hand of the king so that the peasants don't revolt.

And yes, I'm watching GoT.

TL;DR

SBI is a business and they are working as a business should, you peasants should just calm down and do something else until the game is rightly fixed.

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von animeman006 ()

• Egg94 schrieb:

Yes, indeed they have most of the responsability for this whole situation. I mean, it's a service they promised to maintain and they are having troubles, it's pretty obvious.

In my view, with its relatively small team SBI focussed on the gameplay issues they encountered during the betas, while postponing these safety measures to future needs. Gameplay changes costed quite a lot of time, which is why the game had a long beta, therefore we can assume SBI wanted to launch as soon as the game was ready to be played. "Unluckily" this is the perfect time for someone that wants to do easy money (Aka Goldsellers - DDoS scrubs) to spawn and start harasssing, since safety measures are not yet optimal and people like you will start yelling on the forums.

What i'm saying is: give these guys some time. Now that they had a major injection of funds they have all the resources to counter this situation in an efficient way, and i believe there are many aspects of this game that show how efficient this team can be.

If the problem keeps popping up after more than one month - then - it's a reasonable time to begin freaking out, but i think it's a little too soon to start panicking, as you guys seem to enjoy doing on the forums :) That's why i find you funny ^^

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von HollowEddy ()

• HollowEddy schrieb:

Egg94 schrieb:

Sorry for double post, but I had to respond to this one.The thing is, DDOS could have been prevented if they simply invested into security measures (and they were not low on fucking funds). DDOS isn't some universal omnipotent tool, if that was the case then edgy hackers would be crashing society and destroying ze interwebz. So, they could have stopped goldsellers AND prevented DDOS. I don't know why we have to choose between two evils when there was an alternate and better route to take.
      Yes, indeed they have most of the responsability for this whole situation. I mean, it's a service they promised to maintain and they are having troubles, it's pretty obvious.
      In my view, with its relatively small team SBI focussed on the gameplay issues they encountered during the betas, while postponing these safety measures to future needs. Gameplay changes costed quite a lot of time, which is why the game had a long beta, therefore we can assume SBI wanted to launch as soon the game was ready to be played. "Unluckily" this is the perfect time for someone that wants to do easy money (Aka Goldsellers - DDoS scrubs) to spawn and start harasssing, since safety measures are not yet optimal and people like you will start yelling on the forums.

What i'm saying is: give these guys some time. Now that they had a major injection of funds they have all the resources to counter this situation in an efficient way, and i believe there are many aspects of this game that show how efficient this team can be.

If the problem keeps popping up after more than one month - then - it's a reasonable time to begin freaking out, but i think it's a little to soon to start panicking, as you guys seem to enjoy doing on the forums :) That's why i find you funny ^^
      I'm truly hoping they do put those funds to good use. It might be wrong of me to assume but it's often a case over the years a dev loses their passion and it becomes more of a job they're obliged to do. Albion has great potential.
    • SodoPriest schrieb:

After what I have personally witnessed from the Albion devs and mods, I have a very hard time believing the DDOS story.

It seems far more likely that they were unable to come to an agreement on how to handle the server issues and simply whipped out a story that couldn't be disproven, yet would shift some of the blame.
      Sure, why take a simple and logical explanation when a good obscure conspiracy could do.
    • UnGarsQuiBricole schrieb:

SodoPriest schrieb:

After what I have personally witnessed from the Albion devs and mods, I have a very hard time believing the DDOS story.

It seems far more likely that they were unable to come to an agreement on how to handle the server issues and simply whipped out a story that couldn't be disproven, yet would shift some of the blame.
      Sure, why take a simple and logical explanation when a good obscure conspiracy could do.
      It's not a simple explanation, it's not a logical explanation, and my comment was not an obscure conspiracy. Frankly, you couldn't be more wrong if you slammed an overcooked pork chop on your keyboard and pressed "Submit".

- There is no motivation for gold sellers to DDOS
      - DDOSing a source of income is detrimental to gold sellers
      - Gold Sellers, notorious for being only concerned with earning money, would be unlikely to purchase DDOSing service
      - DDOSing is illegal in nearly all civilized countries, and risks ISP backlash in countries not politically motivated to police the net
      - 86% of DDOS attacks do not last more than 24 hours

VS

- The servers have had downtime since the beginning
      - The devs have not submitted any reasonable ideas for a fix to the problem
      - SBI has motive and means to blame DDOSing as the cause of continuing issues

In conclusion, critical thinking is paramount, especially when speaking about issues that are clearly out of your field.
    • animeman006 schrieb:

SodoPriest schrieb:

- 86% of DDOS attacks do not last more than 24 hours
      I'd like to see where you got that statistic, hopefully not from an overcooked pork chop.
      Oh I'm so glad you asked, my uninformed anime friend! Here's my source: lp.incapsula.com/rs/incapsulai…DoS%20Impact%20Survey.pdf

Also, anybody actually familiar with DDOS attacks would look a that statistic and think "yeah, sounds about right", leading me to further believe you know absolutely nothing about the subject.
    • SodoPriest schrieb:

Based on publicly visible data about Albion's website and servers, its pretty clear they have been being ddossed. Having said that,I do agree, based on the devs performance throughout the life of this game, the mind does more easily entertain conspiracy theories.
    • SodoPriest schrieb:

Oh I'm so glad you asked, my uninformed anime friend! Here's my source: lp.incapsula.com/rs/incapsulai…DoS%20Impact%20Survey.pdf
      Also, anybody actually familiar with DDOS attacks would look a that statistic and think "yeah, sounds about right", leading me to further believe you know absolutely nothing about the subject.

You seemed to be trolling, that's why I asked for the source. Also, just because you decided to get nasty with the conversation, that book is dated three years ago, which if you ever took an information tech course, would tell you that books over a year old are already out-dated.

The company Incapsula is also a company only founded eight years ago, Hardly enough time to conduct a scientific survey.

Go have a porkchop and be light on the salt next time.

Safe Travels!
      -Am6
    • animeman006 schrieb:

SodoPriest schrieb:

You seemed to be trolling, that's why I asked for the source. Also, just because you decided to get nasty with the conversation, that book is dated three years ago, which if you ever took an information tech course, would tell you that books over a year old are already out-dated.

The company Incapsula is also a company only founded eight years ago, Hardly enough time to conduct a scientific survey.

Go have a porkchop and be light on the salt next time.

Safe Travels!
      -Am6
      >Thinks longterm DDOS attacks are common
      >Doesn't believe statistic and requests source
      >Bitches about the source when provided
      >Autistic screeching
    • SodoPriest schrieb:

>Thinks longterm DDOS attacks are common>Doesn't believe statistic and requests source
      >Autistic screeching

So because you don't agree with my logic, I'm autistic? I think you need a mirror pal. I don't recall myself stating that long term ddos attacks are common, I simply asked for your source and stated that the information you used is quite old in terms of technical studies and the source(s) parent company is unreliable since it's in it's infancy.
    • animeman006 schrieb:

SodoPriest schrieb:

>Thinks longterm DDOS attacks are common>Doesn't believe statistic and requests source
      >Autistic screeching
      So because you don't agree with my logic, I'm autistic? I think you need a mirror pal. I don't recall myself stating that long term ddos attacks are common, I simply asked for your source and stated that the information you used is quite old in terms of technical studies and the source(s) parent company is unreliable since it's in it's infancy.
      Do you enjoy jigsaw puzzles?
    • Egg94 schrieb:

If you place your money in the bank, and the bank gets robbed and you found out the reason it got robbed was because it had basically put in zero effort into setting into place security measures...
      ...do you blame the air headed thieves or the bank? Clearly, all the blame lies on the thieves. It should be obvious. Just like how SBI is completely fault free in the recent DDOS incidents. Get your shit together, haters. Blame the real perpetrators behind you being unable to play.
      Well in both scenarios you don´t loose anything, your money is insured and in case of albion what have you lost ?

Also how do you know that they put "basically" zero effort on security measures to prevent these attacks ? Do you know the design of the technical infrastructure of albion online aka of the network provider ? Do you know what DDOS attacks are, how they are launched and how difficult and costly it is to prevent or in most cases weaken the results of such attacks.

Just to give you a rough example, in january 2016 the bbc got attacked with a very heavy ddos. The network bandwidth consumed reached around ~600GBPS. I don´t believe that Albion was hit that hard but it shows the arsenal that is available.

We don´t know any numbers and we don´t know anything what has or has not been in place for protection. Of course it´s always easy to complain afterwards and yes "you are the customer" and stuff but the world is sometimes more complex than black or white. Without knowing what exactly happened and what precautions were taken everybody should be careful with accusations.