We've arrived at a PVP crossroads

  • We've arrived at a PVP crossroads

    We all know that since inception Albion Online was intended to cater to the hardcore non-consensual PVP community. There are plenty of other large MMOs available for the group that is either not skilled enough, or not competitive enough, to enjoy truly open world PVP. Anyone that purchased AO should have known what they were getting into.

    Somewhere along the road we went off course, and now we have special 'zones' where these less ambitious players can feel safe and play their own MMO version of Minecraft meets The Oregon Trail. The black zones and it's dungeons are more often than not empty, and these 'daycare' zones are overcrowded with casual players that are not playing the game as it was intended to be played.

    I propose we open all zones, including cities, to full loot PVP. I realize a lot the casual gamers have mistakenly already invested a large amount of their lives into the game so I am willing to compromise with a reduced loot drop (maybe 25%?) in the cities and blue zones.


    Odoyle Rules
  • There has been some other conversation on this topic, I can grab some links in a bit if you'd like; Most of those have turned to trash flame though I presume.

    Anyways, I actually half agree. I agree that the game seems to be tendering more towards the care-bear nature (because that's a huge population of gaming today, and they lose potential by not catering to that player-base). That being said, I think they need to just widen the map some more, or add MORE black zones. I don't have the exact fix thought out yet, thus why I haven't added much to this conversation elsewhere. However, something needs to change with the filtering of everyone to the middle of the map with a portal to the Black zones.
  • Terrible idea. Every open loot open pvp game has haemorrhaged huge amounts of players simply because there was no game structure design to help protect the sheep/casuals. We do not want another UO trammel but having safe zones IMO help keep game population healthy with casuals and also allows them to ease into the pvp aspect of the game through yellow zones.

    Only garbage tier pks want open loot in all zones because they get stomped by the good guilds and need to find easier fights.

  • Good lord, are you following me into this thread now too? We discussed this yesterday. AO is having data integrity and uptime issues. It's clear they rolled back some shards on their data clusters because those stats you're linking (again) are from when the game first launched



    ...mods?!
  • CarnRage wrote:

    Terrible idea. Every open loot open pvp game has haemorrhaged huge amounts of players simply because there was no game structure design to help protect the sheep/casuals. We do not want another UO trammel but having safe zones IMO help keep game population healthy with casuals and also allows them to ease into the pvp aspect of the game through yellow zones.

    Only garbage tier pks want open loot in all zones because they get stomped by the good guilds and need to find easier fights.
    EVE had really no safe zones. In empire space you could still attack people but the police would come after you.

    I think adding a mechanic like that and opening up the entire game to pvp is good. Cat vs Mouse vs Cops chasing the cat down.
  • badllama wrote:

    I agree with opening open pvp to all zones, however, I think police should be added to Blue and Yellow zones. So while attacking players is possible, there is a high chance the police will kill you as well, but its not 100% so the risk vs reward is there.
    I wouldn't be completely opposed to that. Appreciate your input.

    Rolan wrote:

    Hahaha. You are funny.

    (also, your condescending tone does not help you drive your point)
    Quality contribution, thanks for your input. Also I apologize if that came off condescending, but it is fact that PVP players are more skilled on average than PvE players.


    Mardonius wrote:

    No. Terrible idea. Black Zones have already the best loot and dungeons and if people do not want to go there, perhaps it is because they don't want to risk losing everything they carry to a zerg train.

    If all zones would be like that then then all zones would be empty and no one would be playing the game.
    With the new mount cooldowns Zerg trains are no longer a concern (congrats PvE players) If all zones were open PVP the PvE players would not have a reason to stay in the 'daycare' zones and would spread out (or maybe prefer black zones) instead of the current situation, which is overcamped safe spaces and under populated PVP zones (remember AO was intended to be a PVP game).

    teddyrumperfeldt wrote:

    Hi, I'm PvP superstar and resident PvP expert Teddy "the rump" Rumperfeldt

    Odoyle, what you're not considering is the considerable population of players that play this game exclusively for the PvE content. What are you proposing that those player do? Pack up and leave?
    To be honest I do not have much sympathy when the gave has been advertised as PVP since inception. But I think even PvE players, with enough time, can raise their skill levels to be competitive at the lower tiers of PVP and might even find that they enjoy it. If I have to choose between PvE players leaving, or having a truly open PVP game, I chose the latter. I think you, and everyone else saying the servers will be empty, underestimate the amount of true PVP players in the community.

    RockLobster wrote:

    Why do you wanna go PvP in a Tier II zone? Are your balls really that small?

    There's plenty of people to kill in Red Zones and they've buffed the rate of reputation decay to basically allow you to kill 5+ a day easy. If you need more than that, Black Zone's got you covered... if you think it's empty, then you've never actually been.
    This has nothing to do with the size of my balls (which are quite large). PVP in Tier 2 would provide lower level characters the opportunity to PVP amongst themselves. Also there is aways a bigger fish, so any player there to find unbalanced fights with new players, would also be hunted by the PVP players higher up on the food chain (read: me).


    Looks like the rumps been stumped again.

    iCapital wrote:

    #speakless
    Please think before you post, I am trying to foster a serious discussion in this thread.

    CarnRage wrote:

    Terrible idea. Every open loot open pvp game has haemorrhaged huge amounts of players simply because there was no game structure design to help protect the sheep/casuals. We do not want another UO trammel but having safe zones IMO help keep game population healthy with casuals and also allows them to ease into the pvp aspect of the game through yellow zones.

    Only garbage tier pks want open loot in all zones because they get stomped by the good guilds and need to find easier fights.
    This is an extremely negative and poorly thought out post.

    First of all, more players does not always equal better experience. As I said there are many MMOs on the market that are targeting the less skilled PvE crowd, and I believe there is enough of a demand for hardcore non-consensual PVP to both support the game and provide a large enough active player base. You underestimate the number of true PVP players.

    Second what good are sheep if you cannot shear them?

    Thirdly PVP is not something you get eased into, you take the full girth of it and you learn from the pain.

    Lastly, you assume this request comes from a desire for easier fights, but you fail to realize that PVP as a whole (including good fights) would benefit from this change.

    zeitskeet wrote:

    Yeah sure Speakless,

    Like anyone is going to listen to you after your stupid opinion on the XJ5.

    LOL. :sleeping: :sleeping:


    Sincerely,
    ZeitSKEET
    Again, please try to keep this thread civil as I am attempting to explain to the PvE players why they are wrong.

    Kappatronic wrote:

    try going to a t8 area. see if its no one there. hell i wish everytime i went to a t8 area there was actually no one there.
    I've been to numerous T8 areas, on average I find 1 group per 3 zones. While in a yellow area there are almost always 50+ players.


    teddyrumperfeldt wrote:

    Good lord, are you following me into this thread now too? We discussed this yesterday. AO is having data integrity and uptime issues. It's clear they rolled back some shards on their data clusters because those stats you're linking (again) are from when the game first launched



    ...mods?!
    Irrelevant to this thread. Please take this childish argument elsewhere.

    Addex wrote:

    All I read from the OP was "I suck therefore I must go grief nubs in T4 trash to feel better". Grow some balls and fight BZ guilds or here is a thought dont join one of the mega-zergs.
    Again, you and others assuming this is about an easy fight are being short sighted. The dolphins come for the fish, the sharks come for the dolphins, etc. Please think before you post.

    The post was edited 1 time, last by odoyle ().

  • Chodeman5000 wrote:

    i actually disagree wholeheartedly with this idea. what about the players who play this game purely for the lore and pve? i think we need 100% safe zone so the players who are trying to learn about the story behind the world and races can do so without being constantly under threat of some pvper looking to bust a quick load.
    What lore? You mean the book they had written after the game was supposed to originally launch?



  • odoyle wrote:

    teddyrumperfeldt wrote:

    Good lord, are you following me into this thread now too? We discussed this yesterday. AO is having data integrity and uptime issues. It's clear they rolled back some shards on their data clusters because those stats you're linking (again) are from when the game first launched


    ...mods?!
    Irrelevant to this thread. Please take this childish argument elsewhere.
    Sorry. That guy clearly has an axe to grind and I didn't mean to derail the thread
  • Is this a serious thread?

    I'll entertain the thought.

    First, there isn't that big of a market for full-loot-everywhere type of gaming, simply because it leads to everybody being in t4 and the game quickly dwindling to a toxic cesspool of 230 players: see Darkfall. Hell, even Darkfall allowed a few cities. It's simply idiotic (gameplay or content wise) to have cities with consequence-free, full-loot PvP on.

    Second, I think that Albion suffers from two major issues: a redundancy of zones and zerg PvP.

    The initial point is easy: what's the point of yellow zones? They're as riskfree as blue zones, but give carebears access to better nodes. Put simply; they shouldn't exist. The number of blue zones should also be limited in number. The last patch went in the complete opposite direction with the introduction of a temporary "double spawn rate" on blue zone nodes. The end result is a spam of t4 mats.

    Have limited blue zones, lots of red and black zones.

    Now, the zerg PvP: I don't know exactly what can be done, but it's the cancer of this game. This game was advertized as giving a chance to small guilds to compete, but it's like the devs went half-way there and then backtracked completly. I think it'll be better once population starts leaving and the Zergs get bored of doing nothing while 5 of their dudes get to enjoy the game.