Maybe Wipe The Game

• Maybe Wipe The Game

Hi All,

I think it is pretty obvious at this stage of the game that first month turned out to be not as smooth of a ride and actually pretty unfair to many players. While actual start was arguably fine - yes there were some login issues, and package perks delivery was delayed - it didn't impact the outcome much. Obviously lags kind of interfered with territory capturing, but everybody was equal in the lag and perhaps everybody got what they deserved. Now what we are facing today is a very different beast - servers overall seem to be more stable during European time - which kind of makes sense, since America's are traditionally more influencial and thus disturbing USA playing might yield more vocal responses, but that also puts European players in an advantagous position - because they can play, while those playing from US and Canada can't. It is great that developers are planning to give compensation premium time - that is very generous from Sandbox, and I would like to personally thank @Korn and @Bercilak for making this hard, but so welcome decision. This unfortunately though doesn't really address the problem that some regions are more affected by server instability than others, and actually boosts those able to play on less instable servers. Having this said I would like to propose another, perhaps last server wipe, perhaps not today or tomorrow as we struggle through DDoS and other stability issues, so lets see this as Open Beta and opportunity to stress test servers and improve their robustness and ability to survive through massive DDoS. Once we are through these tough times it would be only natural to wipe servers and start from scratch with now lags, everything working and a smooth ride onwards.

What does community think? Do you see a problem here or is it just me? Do you feel like a new start could bring back some of the lost playerbase and equalize players removing development gap between those who have to suffer through longer instability times?
    [b][u]Ownage[/u][/b] (n): 1. Noun form of the verb [[i][u]own[/u][/i]]. 2. An instance in which someone or something is [u][i]owned[/i][/u].
  • Well obviously that is not going to happen but this does very much feel like an Open Beta phase. Even though I waited a whole 2 weeks after release to get the game. Usually things would have settled by then but, at this very moment, I still can't access the servers.

But I would not mind a wipe at this point. Take the servers down, solve all these server stability issues and start with a clean slate.
  • BrunioVT wrote:

It just doesn't work like that.

Some players took off work to play at launch or put in tons of hours to get on top. You can't just restart at this point.
    Well, but that is partially the point - many took off work to play and were not able to play. Many actually took vacations to get into the game a bit later - realizing that start might be a tough, but were planning to catch up when things get fixed. Also I am not proposing to wipe here and now, but rather plan it and execute in a way acceptable for a community.
    [b][u]Ownage[/u][/b] (n): 1. Noun form of the verb [[i][u]own[/u][/i]]. 2. An instance in which someone or something is [u][i]owned[/i][/u].
  • BrunioVT wrote:

It just doesn't work like that.

Some players took off work to play at launch or put in tons of hours to get on top. You can't just restart at this point.
    Also another point is that if you have a look at "Bugs" forum you would see that many Linux/Android/IOS/Mac players can't even play at all - so server stability is not an issue for them - the game was just never released to them, or well - never worked for them - so being fair to those guys it would once again be only fair if everybody could start equally and that unfortunately is only achievable through a server wipe once all pending issues are resolved.
  • Hantaro wrote:

You can't wipe server, they will lost too many player.

Most people don't want to loose what they fight for even if they are casual. Because they take time to play and get what they have now.
    That is true, but one would argue that they already lost more than half of the playerbase due to server instability and unfair advantage that some of the players gained by exploiting bugs, or just being able to play when others were not due to server downtimes. So wouldn't it be better to get back all those who left and get more people with announcement of a new release, or keep fighting to sustain minority that is in game? Just think how many would take a chance to "do things right" and get things they were not able to get during not-so-smooth release!
  • I don't think that it is going to happen. It would cost too much and would not really solve any of the issues that you came up with.

I don't agree with that statement of yours that EU players can play. I live in the EU but I also have a job and can only play in the evenings. In most of the cases that means the following:

a., cannot log in
    b., can log in but game crashes in a few minutes
    c., everything is fine but I cannot change map, cannot travel to guild island or my island
    d., looks cool but then rubberbanding starts and then black screen and one of the things mentioned above

I don't think a wipe would fix any of these.

let's suppose all the issues are fixed: even then I would be left behind because I only have some limited time to play. So, after a while the gap between my toon and one of the toons that is logged on the whole day will increase.

All the things you mentioned will be solved with time. People who achieved everything will eventually quit, others will take their place. People come and people go in mmos.

If we had a wipe now for these reasons then we could have another for other reasons in a few months again.

Let's wait and see what is the game going to be like in 2 months. I guess a lot of people will have left it by then due to all kinds of reasons and others will finally, start enjoying the game.

If we have the same issues in a couple of months as well then the whole thing will not be worth it anyways.
  • I'm totally fine with a restart (if all SBI gold purchases are credited back to players as unspent gold).

But I think that those who expect a vastly different result in power would still be disappointed.

The same large well organized groups would still be large and well organized.

There will still be unemployed people who can put in twice the effort of working folks.

What different results are you looking for?

If you'd just like a do over on learning point use, for instance, there might be a simpler answer than a rollback.
  • Mardonius wrote:

Well obviously that is not going to happen but this does very much feel like an Open Beta phase. Even though I waited a whole 2 weeks after release to get the game. Usually things would have settled by then but, at this very moment, I still can't access the servers.

But I would not mind a wipe at this point. Take the servers down, solve all these server stability issues and start with a clean slate.
    What if it takes several weeks to solve all the server stability issues? What if it takes months?
  • Bandras wrote:

I don't agree with that statement of yours that EU players can play. I live in the EU but I also have a job and can only play in the evenings.
    While I see what you are trying to say here, I don't think we have a disagreement per say - I am not saying that EU players can play, nobody can, but EU players on average have more stable servers - if this could at all be applied to the situation. Yes, you might be as affected as some of US folks, but for US most of primetime is down.

Bandras wrote:

I don't think a wipe would fix any of these.
    Wipe certainly won't fix any of these, but it would help with consequences - most of the playerbase have already left - because of rollbacks, assets captured through exploits etc - wipe would even out all that and bring lots of people back.

Bandras wrote:

Let's wait and see what is the game going to be like in 2 months. I guess a lot of people will have left it by then due to all kinds of reasons and others will finally, start enjoying the game.
    You see this is exactly the logic that is going to turn everything into:

Bandras wrote:

If we have the same issues in a couple of months as well then the whole thing will not be worth it anyways.
    Problem with this is that this is giving up on the game - this is exactly what we see today - we have DDoS, we fight DDoS, we have no ETA's and we just hope that by the time issues are resolved, IF they are resolved we'll still have SOME population. Problem with this approach is that it is losing at the end regardless. With wipe - as noted earlier you actually can get some of the people back, as well as ride the hype of the second release and get many new players - who won't have a sub-optimal experience of this release.

Midnight wrote:

What different results are you looking for?
    I think I stated it pretty well in original post, I want to address unfairness of game server accessibility between geographical regions - the fact that EU players on average get more "stable" time vs US folk. This is not about individual players and their time commitment or groups or anything - this is purely geography and time based.

Wannabenerd wrote:

Wipe will totally kill the game at this stage and a lot of people would possibly leave it.
    But majority have already left, Caerleon went from 1500+ during prime time to 270. That is four times drop of the population. Albino community survived through multiple wipes already and stayed with the game - it's a full loot game, things get wiped all the time in game. Due to game mechanics Albino can actually allow for this to happen semi-easily. Also a wipe WOULD bring back a large number of players and if wipe is done when issues are resolved even more would come for a fair and equal start.

Alphasiq wrote:

Wannabenerd wrote:

Wipe will totally kill the game at this stage and a lot of people would leave.
    Agreed they dont need to shoot themselves in the foot.

It wouldn't bother me personally but i would imagine they would lose a lot
    But game is already crippled, it's not about shooting anybody in the foot, but rather trying to teach one to walk after an injury versus letting one die not being able to walk
  • Gilsen wrote:

Mardonius wrote:

Well obviously that is not going to happen but this does very much feel like an Open Beta phase. Even though I waited a whole 2 weeks after release to get the game. Usually things would have settled by then but, at this very moment, I still can't access the servers.

What if it takes several weeks to solve all the server stability issues? What if it takes months?

Isn't it obvious? If it takes months - wipe in months. This is the same state as in beta's previously - what's the difference? We already had multiple statements on "last final wipe". Again this is not about wipe for the sake of a wipe, it's not about addressing an issue of some group being more organized and thus having a bad start, it's not even about the start actually. This is about what is happening today - point is - fix issues, and lets release when problems are resolved.
  • BloodyOwnage wrote:

But majority have already left, Caerleon went from 1500+ during prime time to 270. That is four times drop of the population. Albino community survived through multiple wipes already and stayed with the game - it's a full loot game, things get wiped all the time in game. Due to game mechanics Albino can actually allow for this to happen semi-easily. Also a wipe WOULD bring back a large number of players and if wipe is done when issues are resolved even more would come for a fair and equal start.
    Wtf you talk about, never seen caerleon pop lower than 700, and if you haven't seen they split caerleon in a lot of different mini-areas
    Discord: ummahusla#1747