Another 800 accounts banned for involvement in 3rd party currency purchases

Diese Seite verwendet Cookies. Durch die Nutzung unserer Seite erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass wir Cookies setzen. Weitere Informationen

• Talion schrieb:

Honke schrieb:

Talion schrieb:

Hullo,

the bans are obviously not just because “someone accepted Gold / Silver”. Else, probably half of the game would be gone now. Giving a friend a leg up with some currency, or even giving a guild or a friend a larger amount is a standard procedure in MMOs.

We don’t want to make it easier for the criminals, so I cannot go into too many details about how exactly we do it, but:
      We only ban in cases where we are certain that the persons received the Gold from 3rd party sites.

-Talion

P.S.: while @Zetecua is correctly quoting the Terms and Conditions, we do not ban because of "just receiving stuff from a friend."
      I don't understand... A player leaves the game and gives all his gold to another player. Now he is banned. Why? The support doesn't accept any evidence .. very poor performance.
      Feel free to PM me which player this is about and I will have a look.
      -Talion
      Thank you.

Done.
      "Alle Augen schauen, wenige beobachten, sehr wenige erkennen."
    • AussieArcher schrieb:

@Talion Sir I fully support the death of all gold seller scum. I am growing weary of reporting them.

But I have a question.

I, along with approximately 12 other players, have given varying amounts of gold to @Saya in order to play the market with it, and hopefully return a profit.

This is all laid out in a public thread in the Trade section of these forums.

My question then; when Saya hopefully returns a profit, how are we to then reclaim our investments and any rewards if straight trading between players is ceased?

Sir I may have misunderstood your post, if so, sorry. Can you please clarify this for me?

Cheers,

AA
      You got scammed. Nobody needs to give their gold to anyone to make a profit.
    • Zetecua schrieb:

I do see how my statement could be mis-understood Talion.

A word of caution then to players: if you are about to receive a large sum of currency from a player you don't know for no apparent reason or are asked to receive large sums of currency from a player you do not know without apparent reason, it is good and healthy to be skeptical of that transaction.

-Zetecua
      Common sense should play a part.

If it seems too good to be true it probably is.

----------

Also to add - Is there currently any system in place to limit the amount of gold one can purchase in a certain timeframe?

Other games have a similar system of restricting purchases to 100-200 USD a month, stops the card thief from maxing out a credit card in short time. Limits can be raised for users that authorize it via contacting support.

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 1 mal editiert, zuletzt von Dox ()

• Zetecua schrieb:

I do see how my statement could be mis-understood Talion.

A word of caution then to players: if you are about to receive a large sum of currency from a player you don't know for no apparent reason or are asked to receive large sums of currency from a player you do not know without apparent reason, it is good and healthy to be skeptical of that transaction.

-Zetecua

I have no reason to decline a gift from an unknown source if i know that i would never buy gold from 3rd party.
      Maybe it is one of my fanboys that wants to do me a favor?

Like if someone trades me "stolen" gold, everyone wins... You can easy send me a pm telling me that the sum will be refunded. The illegal gold is gone from the market in safe hands. If i decline it, it could go somewhere else...
    • @Talion Whoever your economy guy is needs to have a second look at this.

What you are doing is making operations MUCH harder for guilds to operate and killing a major part of the economy of your game. From an in game perspective, gold is a hedge against inflation in your economy model. It is also used as operating funds by guilds for large ventures.

Gold Sellers will now become silver sellers tied to the current exchange rate, and you will not solve any problem other than the 'wording'. You need to properly police your economy (Which you are starting to do.) please don't make things more difficult for guilds and kill economy play styles because you don't know what to do about it.

This bandaid just makes life more difficult for economy based players, and does very little to stop or halt gold sellers.
      Plantagenet of IB, The Iron Bank
      My Referral Code: albiononline.com/?ref=EFN1DY7DWG
    • Plantagenet schrieb:

@Talion Whoever your economy guy is needs to have a second look at this.

What you are doing is making operations MUCH harder for guilds to operate and killing a major part of the economy of your game. From an in game perspective, gold is a hedge against inflation in your economy model. It is also used as operating funds by guilds for large ventures.

Gold Sellers will now become silver sellers tied to the current exchange rate, and you will not solve any problem other than the 'wording'. You need to properly police your economy (Which you are starting to do.) please don't make things more difficult for guilds and kill economy play styles because you don't know what to do about it.

This bandaid just makes life more difficult for economy based players, and does very little to stop or halt gold sellers.
      pretty sure its easier for them to track silver rather than gold
    • elorix schrieb:

xaL schrieb:

You have a huge flaw in your system there, crafting, trading or mercenary guilds are now fucked, because if they take "stolen" gold as payment for their services, they get banned.

Talion schrieb:

"The bans are obviously not just because “someone accepted Gold / Silver”. Else, probably half of the game would be gone now. Giving a friend a leg up with some currency, or even giving a guild or a friend a larger amount is a standard procedure in MMOs.

We don’t want to make it easier for the criminals, so I cannot go into too many details about how exactly we do it, but:
      We only ban in cases where we are certain that the persons received the Gold from 3rd party sites."

Yeah - that's kinda where the whole thing starts to sound weird:

1. We know who is trading 3rd party currency.
      2. We disabled gold trading to make it harder for criminals.

If point #1 was true, then #2 wouldn't be needed.

Logic doesn't check out.
    • Will there ever be consideration given to introduce a more streamline process of either reporting or muting players?

I only ask because it becomes rather tedious having to regularly report and mute those with names such as: "gjiRKG58u3y8ti"

A right-click option for the chat box may not necessarily be a bad thing down the line; it might even encourage others to report gold sellers instead of being made to manually type out the player names on each and every case.
    • @Talion Given that its clear players who wish to donate gold will now be converting the given amount to silver and donating that amount. Can you implement a mechanism to allow Guild members in control of the guild bank to convert guild silver to gold and vise versa WITHOUT having to withdraw it first?? Although the changes are meant to thwart illegal gold sellers its places extra burden on the guild to protect their money from changes in the market. It would be nice to remove some of that burden with better options form the guild bank. Maybe even allow the guild to place a threshold on silver where automatic conversions in either direction can happen when a certain amount is reached??
    • Sigh.. This screams inexperience and is a clear overreaction IMO.

Everything has been covered for the most part. The only thing I'll add to is that I just don't see why the big step is to remove functionality from the game.. Gold, gold trading, and hedging silver have been a part of this game as long as I can remember. You must have known there would be gold sellers? I mean, I can recall there being gold sellers and jokes about guilds being "sponsored by" insert name here.. etc etc.. This many few weeks in to official launch and we're ripping systems and functionality out of the game to spite gold sellers? Really? It's an MMO, they come with the territory. As someone mentioned before, it's about prevention.. Before you strip the game of features and or functionality, tell us about the steps you've taken to prevent fraudulent purchases. It's like everyone said, now they'll be silver sellers.. You've solved nothing and you've removed functionality. GG, the terrorists have already won!

Officially cutting off the nose to spite the face.
    • Talion schrieb:

Hello everyone,

we have made a few posts announcing that we’re banning 3rd party currency sellers and buyers in the past. We did so again today.

More than 800 accounts that acquired currency from 3rd parties have been permanently banned.

Keep in mind that currency that these people “sell” has been acquired with stolen credit card or Paypal data. This makes it a financial problem for all involved - the people whom these cards belong to, the banks - and us. Hence, we reinforce our stance that we fight this on every level.

On top of permanently banning accounts that are involved in these trading schemes somehow, we are taking steps towards making this kind of currency trades much more difficult. The first step for this is removing the ability to directly trade Gold with another player, or donate Gold to guild wallets. Withdrawing will still be possible, however no new Gold can be donated.
      This will happen during today’s maintenance. The only way to trade Gold will be through the player-driven Gold market.

This is only the first step we will take to make it as difficult as possible for these criminals to keep doing their “business”.

Important: we will continue to permanently ban all accounts involved in 3rd party currency transactions!

To quote myself from a later post in the thread but also make it visible here:

"The bans are obviously not just because “someone accepted Gold / Silver”. Else, probably half of the game would be gone now. Giving a friend a leg up with some currency, or even giving a guild or a friend a larger amount is a standard procedure in MMOs.

We only ban in cases where we are certain that the persons received the Gold from 3rd party sites."

-Talion
      Honestly speaking these feel like awesome measure - goldsellers are the main evil of the game right now, since their gold selling transactions cause all the lag and actually their enormous, overflowing gold accounts cause all these crashes - good job guys - right priorities and absolutely justified focus! Well done!

One thing I would like to suggest you do on top of this - which is a common practice in the industry and would highly improve success rate on detection - require an international form ID during transaction and transaction verification via two separate communication channels - so if Player 1 is to send something to Player 2 - you request their international form ID's - either scanned or fax'd to SBI office - where you run background checks on both, then call both individuals to validate if their decision to trade gold is not under pressure and only if all these checks come back without any issues - commit to the transaction. This would greatly improve reliability of the process.

Keep up the good work! There are ways to go on improvements so no time to think!
      [b][u]Ownage[/u][/b] (n): 1. Noun form of the verb [[i][u]own[/u][/i]]. 2. An instance in which someone or something is [u][i]owned[/i][/u].
    • Out of those 800, I wonder how many have been reinstated after investigation because their algorithm messed up...

I still say that this 'change' hurts guilds and economy players who use gold for large operations and a hedge against silver inflation. It wont even phase Gold/Silver sellers. They will just change the wording of their spam and use silver instead.

SBI needs to think this through a bit more.
      Plantagenet of IB, The Iron Bank
      My Referral Code: albiononline.com/?ref=EFN1DY7DWG