Update on Server Issues and Compensation

Diese Seite verwendet Cookies. Durch die Nutzung unserer Seite erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass wir Cookies setzen. Weitere Informationen

• Everybody who has played since release and today will be compensated with an additional 7 days of premium time. In the unlikely case that we do not improve the server situation over the next 2 weeks, additional compensation will be awarded.

I'm lose more then uselles 7 days premium
    You should give gold and only gold lol!!!
    I'm not angry, I'm FURIOUS
  • @Bercilak

thank you for taking the time, but I am sorry I have to say this:

- the communication
    Reading through the entire statement multiple times, I can't help but shake my head.
    It really makes me want to apply as a trainer for communication and deescalation in your company (that's what I do since 20 years).
    Please stop comparing to other games, especialy to EVE. In your first sentence you mention it three times. I do understand your EVE background, but as a player of EVE for more than a decade, like many others here, I also know that EVE is a vastly different game with a much (much!) larger gameworld, in which "shipspinning" in stations is instanced, and it makes use of a vastly different technology that, since more than a decade, does the job pretty well.
    Please stop comparing to EVE, this is Albion. If I want to go back to EVE I put my money there.
    So please, lets talk Albion.

- the technical side
    I spare you going into the known issues with Apache Cassandra since it's incarnation in 2010, as I am pretty sure your developers already told you about it many times.
    I am also sure your programmers are bleeding, just like any other game developer working in nowadays industrie. I appreciate that, but as a customer who put money into your product and service and who's paid time is ticking away without being able to play, I expect the issues to be solved.
    "they are working hard" doesn't help anyone and for sure does not make anyone who paid for this feel better.
    Also, speaking of "hardcaps", again, comparing to "all" other games, in times of games like BDO, that do run very smooth without server issues and are much larger in playerbase with much (much much much!) more going on on my screen with many more players involved all in the same spot, doing things... well, comparing to these and stating they'd all suffer from these hardcaps, that's a bit "meeeehhhh"...
    Many people here do have IT backgrounds or at least play MMO's since a long time, especialy the old EVE players. Please don't try to fool us, we are not stupid.

the truth is:
    - the boat is full, and you keep pumping people into it
    Solution: stop pumping people into the boat, fix the boat, then let more people into the boat. Otherwise the boat will sink. Simple as that.
    No I don't want to say it, I think you understand what I mean. (stop sales, admit the issues, fix them, continue and move on...)

- the compensation
    Thank you for the 7 days of premium. But as a customer, may I ask how this helps me when I am unable to play the game from 7pm (EU time) on? Currently I spend my "primetime" with watching my US friends guildies trying to play on Twitch, getting disconnected and having a bad time losing their stuff on rollbacks, while I stopped even trying to login and play. Even if I could login past 7 pm, what would I be able to do with 200+ players on every single map?
    Nothing...
    I'd rather see you FIX IT!

Please stop comparing and please stop saying the same things that help nobody, again and again.
    We are Albion, not EVE.
    Keep my money, fix the game. You should have the ressources and the manpower to do so. If not, spend more money.
    There are good people out there, who are looking for a job, willing to volunteer and willing to help in any way possible.
    We are not an ungreatful demanding bunch of idiots. We are customers and we do care for the game. Treat us as such.

my honest opinion, sorry
    (please excuse my bad english, it's not my native language)
    PS: I still love your game and I'd rather see it fixed...
    :) smell the flowers while you can :)

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 5 mal editiert, zuletzt von TeekBuddha () aus folgendem Grund: typo

• Lensar schrieb:

Is 7 days premium per character or per account? Does it include characters that didn't have premium or only those that had a month or more?
    2) Who will get the extra premium time?

All non-deleted characters that have played and obtained premium between release and today

BoullouD schrieb:

The last thing I'd ever want to do is hurt you. But it is on the list.
  • voodeux schrieb:

Lensar schrieb:

Is 7 days premium per character or per account? Does it include characters that didn't have premium or only those that had a month or more?
    2) Who will get the extra premium time?
    All non-deleted characters that have played and obtained premium between release and today

BoullouD schrieb:

I have this face today when my farm rollback after 5 min restart server......
  • @Bercilak

Does the fix of the server issue you referring is waiting for players drop off and get those stable small playerbase numbers as it was in all betas?

Does new implementation to spread players more wider for theyr daily basis activitys will take another +3 months to come (as it was for betas or this time implementation will come faster)?

Does developer team realize that current numbers of players in game lack of healthy game feature play? I mean whole current game design doesnt support such numbers of players in nearly every aspect so either you waiting to numbers radical drop or we will see some map/features/or anything else which again change core game it self?

P.S. im preparing an "angry" feedback(because beta2/3 feedback was zero fuck given) about how bad is 5v5 content which is nearly destroyed now (gvg, hg etc)
  • "Shit reply" - "Beta1 lover"

Open secondary server with backuped BETA1 game design - put player cap like max 10k, dont invest, dont change, dont upgrade or whatsoever, simple insert Beta1 and this would fix many issue with albion itself.

That version of game was best and @Bercilak you could save a lot of time releasing complete game instead of changing all this unnecessary things what happen in 2 years or so
  • Dragis schrieb:

I mean whole current game design doesnt support such numbers of players in nearly every aspect so either you waiting to numbers radical drop or we will see some map/features/or anything else which again change core game it self?
    THIS!

I'd rather like to read something like "Albion stops sales because massive success, enlarges the gameworld..." now,
    instead of "Albion dead, couldn't keep up to promises, couldn't handle .." in three months

Remember how Blizz handled that shit with WoW back in the day? They had he exact same problem and they turned it into the greatest success in gaming historie, by communication and being smart, and by being honest with their customers, with themselfes, and with their product.
    :) smell the flowers while you can :)

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 2 mal editiert, zuletzt von TeekBuddha ()

• I have bought the game before game release, but went on vacation during game release time, and returned last week.
    I have experienced the issues like disconnects, black screen, it went wrong even during my first guild PVP fights, which I was excited about but couldnt finished due to the connection problems.

Does that mean I have no right for compensation because I couldnt play day one? This seems really unfair to me.
  • You should also work on server rollback 'feature'. How can I spent 500g, then buy for that silver stuff, and after rollback i am 500g less, and don't have those items. My guess is last minutes before server is not responding fully and doesn't register auction actions fully (silver is taken out of your account, and item seemingly added, but not for real / only on client side). Once you have some free time on your hands, this should be looked into as well, there are real money being lost.
  • Hi,
    While being completly unhappy about this actual game state, I still wish for it to last more than 1 month (having to pay again for a 'sandbox' will be be the non return point for most hard core gamers).

I rechecked how similar issues were solved in massive zoning Older mmorph, especially older ones were hardware was the limit and not coding.

Usually most issues related to your symptoms are about bottleneck in database access (if you except obvious pointers issues)

As you actually confirmed this specific issues, here are a few solutions that worked In other mmorph :
    - in registered GvG maps : host in/out zoning data in a specific database, in this same database which now hold 2 stable states: in out transferring, on all 'in' status you can manage fight effects sequence with a lesser impact. As soon as someone is no more in the 'in' status, data are transferred to the main database and side database is cleared afterward.

- Overcrowded towns : you suppressed BZ towns because the population was decreasing (at least it was one of your explanation) : Maybe rethink about it? The result of having so few towns was quite obvious

- castle overcrowded issue : redesign it so there are inner and outer rooms with warps activated when doors are broken. Make them larger with stones and smthg like 10 rooms this should add lots of strategy and challenge. Obviously also have a specific database for fights data

.. there is a lot more in my mind that I thought about. But this is already a huge wall of text.
  • To be honest, your worst mistake was to communicate that late on the situation and on the compensations. Even tho I am satisfied with them, many people may not be and will probably, rightfully, feel cheated because of the clear lack of communication that has been seen. It appears to be clear that the main problem of Albion is overpopulation, which there are only two solutions, a larger gameworld, or a lower level of players. When you guys started the band aid, you should just have stopped the sales until the situation cleared a bit (maybe a week or two) and then resume them.
    "Autre que moi, il n'y a personne d'innarêtable dans ce royaume." -Aigaion

• Thank you very much for the updates.

The compensation that you mentioned here is more than enough in my opinion (and I am one of the whiners:)).

Hopefully, these fixes will really help and then everybody will be happy.

Just a thought: did you think about bringing back the ports as well to travel to black zone areas?
  • blazemonger schrieb:

Kest schrieb:

Bercilak schrieb:

1) Specific zones being overcrowded

Problem: There is a hard technical limit to how many players can be in a single zone, and this limit does not depend on the type of hardware used. It has to do with the fact that the information the server has to processes grows exponentially with player numbers. Many of you will know the wheat and chessboard problem, it's similar to
    On a non-technical level, is there any concern that this is too simple of an approach? EVE's game world is far larger than Albion. You're ultimately trying to fit a population larger than EVE into an extremely small environment, which forces players to form giant alliances. There's no upside to abandoning a zerg.
    While the EVE universe is far larger in size, it is also mostly empty.. You could erase half of the EVE universe and not notice a difference.
    This.

The problems or EVE and Albion are both totally opposed although the exemple is correct. What also makes the EVE universe so more larger is the abundance of Wormhole space (what could be compared to the Carleon underground at some point). But still, the Albion universe is WAY too small for that amount of players. It should be at least twice as big for that amount of people playing, or having the same kind of "wormhole systems" but in another style.
    "Autre que moi, il n'y a personne d'innarêtable dans ce royaume." -Aigaion

• I like the post. It shows you are communicating with your player base and are willing to admit mistakes and compensate for it.

Does it solve the problems? No. This stuff needs time. Even coming up with solutions and evaluating which ones are good needs time and implementing them even more, not even starting from testing, rolling out, etc.

In my opionion you stop the sales, go back to beta state, reimburse whoever wants their money back (besides banned accounts) and should work on a scalable solution. If AO gets a million players...the area to play in is just too small period. If you make an area that would be big enough for a million players and you only have 100k it would be too big with your current approach. Change that and come up with a solution that can handle all player numbers (I'm not talking about 1000 players in one zone). If you need a concept, ask me, I maybe have a concept that could work (and have worked in the video game industry and have studied computer science).

If you have that scalable solution, rerelease the game again. Leave the current server (lets call it "release beta") online, so whoever had a good start doesn't HAVE TO start all over again. Give everyone on the new release server the same stuff they bought for the release beta.
  • Aigaion schrieb:

blazemonger schrieb:

Kest schrieb:

On a non-technical level, is there any concern that this is too simple of an approach? EVE's game world is far larger than Albion.
    While the EVE universe is far larger in size, it is also mostly empty.. You could erase half of the EVE universe and not notice a difference.
    This.
    The problems or EVE and Albion are both totally opposed although the exemple is correct.

The server-client mechanics used in EVE are also way, no _WAY_ simpler and the amount of data going back and forth is a fraction of that in AO. A huge thing is that in eve there is no information on positioning between fleet members, it's all relative to a central location which is why fleets will always form up in a ball. While there is a group mechanic in AO, it is nothing like fleets in EO.

Based on the OP the database issues would cause the majority of issues we see for the most part and I guess we'll have to see what comes out of the communication with the database developer regarding the spikes.

As for expanding the world, it would be fair to assume there will be a considerable fall of of active players regardless of any issues like we are seeing now so taking drastic and far-reaching measures in that regard would be premature at best. It will take at least another 2 months or so for the player numbers to stabilise somewhat so it would be reasonable that the devs wait for that point before taking any such actions.