Update on Server Issues and Compensation

Diese Seite verwendet Cookies. Durch die Nutzung unserer Seite erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass wir Cookies setzen. Weitere Informationen

• Thank you for the update @Bercilak. We know you're doing your best and you'll come up with a good solution as soon as possible. I'm sure the staff has lost sleep and is working many extra hours. The compensation of premium time is a very nice gesture albeit unnecessary. I'm sure there will be those that appreciate it and those that can't be satisfied no matter what you do.

Cheers!
    www.twitch.tv/purplepoloplayer
    Twitter @purplepoloplays
    www.undeadlords.net Come in and apply
    UndeadLords - MostlyHarmless - Exodia
  • Speakmore schrieb:

BeenJamminMon schrieb:

Vortech schrieb:

I'm not going to speculate here, but it seems something is fundamentally wrong. Be it due to a lack or foresight or a self-inflicted limitation, it's 2017. Everything should be made to scale, esisn't pecially an MMO. As far as the compensation goes, I don't feel it's enough. Now, I've participated in worse launches and I appreciate what the devs have done and continue to do.. But many players have lost economical advantages, fallen off the fame curve, etc, due to these interruptions in service during prime time. @Bercilak this is your opportunity to do something big for the community, something we'll remember.. maybe something we can compare other MMOs to in the future and say.. "remember what SBI did for us after launch?". 7 days of premium? sorry, that doesn't even register.

As I mentioned, I have participated in worse launches.. I appreciate the clear effort the developers and administrators have been putting in to provide us the world of Albion.
    I don't feel I personally need compensation at all however, I do feel like 7 days is NOT enough for most players who are extremely frustrated and are contemplating leaving the game due to the technical issues.. To be honest here, I fully believe that it would keep those players around if premium compensation was granted based on how long these issues have been happening/how long it will take for the issues to be resolved. As in - We've had these issues now for 2 weeks (those who have legendary that is) so compensate 14 days as of today. If the issues continue for 8 more days, give them 22 days of premium.
    Now I fully understand that this may be unrealistic from a business perspective of things as you guys need people purchasing premium for income to pay your development needs and all that.. However, due to the insane amount of people who have purchased the game and are playing, in which you stated by far exceeded your expectations and estimates, I am fairly certain you guys can afford to give players a lot more than just 7 days of premium. @Bercilak

Like @Vortech stated above "This is your opportunity to do something big for the community.".
    You're both clearly morons. Tell me that the server has been down for MORE THAN 168 hours (7 days * 24 hours) EXCLUDING their 1 hour daily maintenance AND any third-party issues, which they seem to think it's not their problem for a majority of these down times. That being said, mathematically speaking their servers haven't even been down 10 HOURS if you exclude those 2 things that you signed in the Terms of Service. Take your 7 days and leave, that's about all I have left to say on the subject. You are ridiculous for crying for more. Not to mention, he even stated OP that there will be MORE compensation if shit continues to go wrong. How about you just ask him to give you max gear and unlimited Gold so you can cry when you die and lose it.
    or maybe they aren't morons because out of 1 day of premium I may only play 30mins to 3 hours of that, considering the queues, downtime, rollbacks and disconnects I think it is safe to say there are plenty of normal players that have lost out on their 7 days of premium compared to the 8-16hr a day players who lose out on a smaller scale with those same issues.

I think 7 days compensation is a fair amount though and it has stopped me from logging my refund request with paypal, I was giving them until Wednesday to speak up after the shitstorm that was brewing over the weekend.
  • MsMushy schrieb:

Speakmore schrieb:

BeenJamminMon schrieb:

Vortech schrieb:

I'm not going to speculate here, but it seems something is fundamentally wrong. Be it due to a lack or foresight or a self-inflicted limitation, it's 2017. Everything should be made to scale, esisn't pecially an MMO. As far as the compensation goes, I don't feel it's enough. Now, I've participated in worse launches and I appreciate what the devs have done and continue to do.. But many players have lost economical advantages, fallen off the fame curve, etc, due to these interruptions in service during prime time. @Bercilak this is your opportunity to do something big for the community, something we'll remember.. maybe something we can compare other MMOs to in the future and say.. "remember what SBI did for us after launch?". 7 days of premium? sorry, that doesn't even register.

As I mentioned, I have participated in worse launches.. I appreciate the clear effort the developers and administrators have been putting in to provide us the world of Albion.
    I don't feel I personally need compensation at all however, I do feel like 7 days is NOT enough for most players who are extremely frustrated and are contemplating leaving the game due to the technical issues.. To be honest here, I fully believe that it would keep those players around if premium compensation was granted based on how long these issues have been happening/how long it will take for the issues to be resolved. As in - We've had these issues now for 2 weeks (those who have legendary that is) so compensate 14 days as of today. If the issues continue for 8 more days, give them 22 days of premium.Now I fully understand that this may be unrealistic from a business perspective of things as you guys need people purchasing premium for income to pay your development needs and all that.. However, due to the insane amount of people who have purchased the game and are playing, in which you stated by far exceeded your expectations and estimates, I am fairly certain you guys can afford to give players a lot more than just 7 days of premium. @Bercilak

Like @Vortech stated above "This is your opportunity to do something big for the community.".
    You're both clearly morons. Tell me that the server has been down for MORE THAN 168 hours (7 days * 24 hours) EXCLUDING their 1 hour daily maintenance AND any third-party issues, which they seem to think it's not their problem for a majority of these down times. That being said, mathematically speaking their servers haven't even been down 10 HOURS if you exclude those 2 things that you signed in the Terms of Service. Take your 7 days and leave, that's about all I have left to say on the subject. You are ridiculous for crying for more. Not to mention, he even stated OP that there will be MORE compensation if shit continues to go wrong. How about you just ask him to give you max gear and unlimited Gold so you can cry when you die and lose it.
    or maybe they aren't morons because out of 1 day of premium I may only play 30mins to 3 hours of that, considering the queues, downtime, rollbacks and disconnects I think it is safe to say there are plenty of normal players that have lost out on their 7 days of premium compared to the 8-16hr a day players who lose out on a smaller scale with those same issues.
    I think 7 days compensation is a fair amount though and it has stopped me from logging my refund request with paypal, I was giving them until Wednesday to speak up after the shitstorm that was brewing over the weekend.
    I updated my post, sorry had to transition from laptop to phone before I could finish. Although you won't agree with the update.

That being said, I work at least 8 hours a day as an engineer - it's not like I have 16 hours to play. I wish I did though. Anyways, I can't feel bad that you manages to log in during the 10 minutes it's down. Yes, 10 minutes. Can we please cut the cheap. The downtimes aren't longer than 10 minutes and your 5000 man queues with estimated timed of 2hrs also take 10 minutes, I did it yesterday. So sure. 20 minutes if you hit both scenarios, and I've only hit the second one once. So if you got 30 minutes to play - that sucks. Otherwise, I can't even feel bad. Not like they chose your time to login as the downtime. Could theoretically happen to anyone.

Also, speak up how? Isn't this "speaking up?" Best of luck to you though, they have yet to fall through on anything you signed on the ToS and even if you win, it's $30-$100 in a world of 250000+
  • Bercilak schrieb:

1) Specific zones being overcrowded

Problem: There is a hard technical limit to how many players can be in a single zone, and this limit does not depend on the type of hardware used. It has to do with the fact that the information the server has to processes grows exponentially with player numbers. Many of you will know the wheat and chessboard problem, it's similar to that. This can not be overcome by better hardware (we already use the best available) or more servers, as the amount of information stays the same. (to use a poor analogy: if you traveled back in time 20 years with a copy of Overwatch, you could not run it, even if you used the combined power of 1.000 PCs from back then)

Solution: The short term solution is splitting overcrowded areas into multiple smaller ones, similar to how we have put the market and bank in Caerleon into their own mini-zones. The mid term solution is to have an instancing system for the market place of towns (i.e. only the center, and only for NPC buildings there) while leaving all the player made buildings in cities strictly non-instanced. In essence, the end result would be a much cleaner, better looking and more scalable overcrowded mode.
    (Bolding and size change by me)

It 100% can be overcome by MORE SERVERS, ie, a new EU or Oceanic mega server like the current one would 100% fix this.

You are right it cant be fixed by throwing more hardware at the current server, but even the current server could be fixed by making zones larger, the world bigger, and letting every major city have a portal to the black, so that people can spread out mitigate the huge overloads.

But again, a new SERVER (not hardware on existing server) would 100% alleviate the overcrowding issues, as well as give other players a fair ping.
  • Archaegeo schrieb:

Bercilak schrieb:

Problem: There is a hard technical limit to how many players can be in a single zone, and this limit does not depend on the type of hardware used. It has to do with the fact that the information the server has to processes grows exponentially with player numbers. Many of you will know the wheat and chessboard problem, it's similar to that. This can not be overcome by better hardware (we already use the best available) or more servers, as the amount of information stays the same. (to use a poor analogy: if you traveled back in time 20 years with a copy of Overwatch, you could not run it, even if you used the combined power of 1.000 PCs from back then)

Solution: The short term solution is splitting overcrowded areas into multiple smaller ones, similar to how we have put the market and bank in Caerleon into their own mini-zones. The mid term solution is to have an instancing system for the market place of towns (i.e. only the center, and only for NPC buildings there) while leaving all the player made buildings in cities strictly non-instanced. In essence, the end result would be a much cleaner, better looking and more scalable overcrowded mode.
    (Bolding and size change by me)
    It 100% can be overcome by MORE SERVERS, ie, a new EU or Oceanic mega server like the current one would 100% fix this.

You are right it cant be fixed by throwing more hardware at the current server, but even the current server could be fixed by making zones larger, the world bigger, and letting every major city have a portal to the black, so that people can spread out mitigate the huge overloads.

But again, a new SERVER (not hardware on existing server) would 100% alleviate the overcrowding issues, as well as give other players a fair ping.
    or not because most people playing right now are probably part of a guild and will not want to leave unless the whole guild leaves. I would like to think a very large portion would actually stay, or at least be "hindered" in the process. Not sure the right word for hindered there. Inconvenienced I suppose. Everything is an inconvenience.
  • Kest schrieb:

Bercilak schrieb:

Problem: There is a hard technical limit to how many players can be in a single zone, and this limit does not depend on the type of hardware used. It has to do with the fact that the information the server has to processes grows exponentially with player numbers. Many of you will know the wheat and chessboard problem, it's similar to

On a non-technical level, is there any concern that this is too simple of an approach? EVE's game world is far larger than Albion. You're ultimately trying to fit a population larger than EVE into an extremely small environment, which forces players to form giant alliances. There's no upside to abandoning a zerg.

While the EVE universe is far larger in size, it is also mostly empty.. You could erase half of the EVE universe and not notice a difference.
  • "Solution: We have now established a direct contact with Apache Cassandra developers in order to identify and fix the current database issue. In principle, the database is more than able to cope, we just have to find out what's causing the current problems on a technical level."

So you can't figure out where the bad code you wrote is. And now that bad code is effectively breaking the game and you are just now asking for help to fix the database?
    That's the status of a solution two weeks into a game with competition in every aspect?

Also, how vague is that? Does that mean you just went to their page and sent a bunch of emails to everyone on this list of helpful contractors and have gotten an email back from one of them?

You should not play at being transparent if you haven't actually progressed toward a solution other than "establishing direct contact". It would be better to say nothing at all if patience from your customers were what you were looking for. I know that mine is personally spent.

Lastly, we have SO many examples that predate this game that you could of learned very valuable lessons from. CCP and their handling of Eve comes to mind.
    It brings me to question why wasn't this shit planned out way ahead of time during your stress tests? I thought companies contract out that exact service and can help setup the foundation for a game with this kind of traffic way in advance...

I bought this game on the recommendation of a friend who had played all the previous betas and am sorely disappointed in a game that was hyped to me as having years of testing and was only left at the "polish" stage...

But all of that does not matter If I cannot access the service I am/have paid for. If I can't connect to the service itself then what are you selling exactly?
  • Hello,

Could it be possible that those "data-spikes" are generated when the healerspell is abused at Carleon-Bank and auctionhouse?
    Whenever someone abuses the healerspell over 300++ ppl get healed at the same time on the same spot (in the same map) and, for me, lag intensifies in this moment.
    When multiple people do this it gets worse.

Since I am no IT-expert I can only guess.

Fallex-
  • I kind of don't get this "update" on the state of the servers....

i see only a short term and mid term "solution"..... anything worth sharing for a long term (aka real) solution?

isn't that a "feature" of the new map?
    everyone that is not in a guild that live 90% of the time in black zone is going to stay near the portal since now it's the only way to go to black zones = overpopulation
  • Thank you for the update and I look forward to the changes coming soon..

Along with all the changes is there a way to add a force kick from game option. More than once i have got stuck transitioning between zones and had to close the game to then not be able to log in. If there was a force kick option that may help allow us access again.

As far as the compensation, thank you.. This has not been the smoothest launch i have experienced in a game and it is appreciated that you recognize the pain it has been.

Keep moving forward and I look forward to a smooth game in the near future.