Help me choose my build

• Help me choose my build

Hello,

Update: The build I chose after reading the suggestions in the thread: albiononline.com/en/characterbuilder/solo-builds/view/7010 (chose to go tank - build in progress)

I've also been fiddling with a DPS - TANK build hybrid: albiononline.com/en/characterbuilder/solo-builds/view/7032

After trying out almost every weapon in the game I am still uncertain about what build I should go for as my main focus.
    My hours online are a bit weird, so I'll mostly be doing solo farming in red/black zones. I would like to be able to have a build that is not easily gank'able.
    So far the one item I'm sure to go for is leather chest, as it provides both leech and stealth.
    For boots I'm torn between cloth boots and plate, as they both have their benefits.
    Helm piece will probably be the cloth for the poison skill.

Weapon is where I am stuck.

In every other MMO I've played I've either been a tank or a dps. From my understanding, solo farming as a tank is not advisable. (if someone can suggest a good solo farming tank build it would be much appreciated).

So tl'dr: do you have a good build for a solo farmer that wants to keep his loot relatively safe from ganks?

Thanks in advance,
    K.

The post was edited 2 times, last by Krator ().

• Dagger/Claws have some good escape due to their W dash/teleport and they can also deal some big damage if given the chance. Double Bladed Staff has some good mobility to escape as well (Has a move speed buff on W which is also a stun, has a dash with E), but its damage isn't very bursty. You can win a decent amount of 1v1's with the DBS though due to the stun mechanics. Warbow is also another popular choice, its got lots of kite potential, but may not be as good for escaping multi people ganks as the other two options, I havnt tried warbow as I find the game play to be boring personally.
  • The armor I used for DBS was assassin jacket (Leather), mage cowl (Cloth), and merc boots (Leather). The damage won't be all that high for DBS, but if you play your CC properly you can win most 1v1 situations.. If you swap to the Black Monk Staff you can dish out some high burst damage and utility with the Cowl's poison, Cartwheel (Q), Forceful Swing (W), and Fatal Blade (E), but it is a artifact and would be a more expensive build earlier on.
  • Lots of variables to consider here. For example:

Even though you said you'd gather solo do you belong to a big guild or will you be small guild/no guild?

I know you said you'd mostly gather but do you want to just gather or are you wanting to experience PVE content/PVP action (outside of defending yourself from a gank)?

Are you wanting to survive/escape a gank or are you wanting to win the fight?

If you want to win then you definitely need to go DPS--something like dagger/claws/double bladed staff like everyone else is advising.

If you want to just survive and you're already used to playing a tank in other MMOs then my advice is hammers.

You can wear leather for the better DPS or go ahead and go plate chest/helm with leather boots (or really even plate boots if you prefer) but hammers have decent DPS for "tank" weapons and all kinds of stuns. Or you can go Maces for the roots/silences if you prefer those over stuns.

You probably won't win too many fights 1v1 like this but you can stun/root and escape all day. This has the added bonus of making PVE easier for you since DPS queue times for T6 and below expeditions is insane. Queue times for tanks....less than 2 seconds most of the time. If you have a big guild to support you then this is less important as you can get guild groups as any class (in a good guild, anyway). Dungeon Farming, Expeditions, Hellgates--all need tanks and in the "LFG" channel that's what you see--a need for tanks and healers. DPS is a dime a dozen. Plus, if you like tanking you'll love big battles as a tank in this game. Our role as initiators, CC and enemy team separation/support denial is a blast.
  • As for your armor of choice; assassin jacket is easily countered by a poison potion (mostly combined with merc jacket -> bloodlust for free heals), in case any decent PKer crosses your path.
    Other then that the invisibility is pretty decent over all if they don't have a poison pot or slow response time. You could also go for knight - Wind Wall, which is a decent choice in case multiple gankers are trying to gank you. Especially if you go into any kind of choke point, a wind wall does wonders. Leather royal armor could also be used if you tend to use your other escape abilities more often; it has a huge CD modifier.

For your boots i'd suggest the plate wanderlust boots (or gathering gear boots) as any PKer could possibly DMG you (including poison potion) and you will get an increased speed buff which is pretty decent over all. In general the basic RUN skill isn't bad either but imo wanderlust has more potential if you get hit even only once or more.

The helmet could either be assassin or soldier. Assassin is good since wanderlust has a longer CD but if you use the helmet afterwards you will get it back even faster + your other skills as well. Soldier helmet has block which could be a good choice in certain situations but i'm not completely convinced with this skill as it only lasts 2s, while assassin removed 10s of any CD you have (for a 2s channel).

As for your weapon you can do whatever you want really, there are numerous weapons that offer decent escape abilities. The most common ones definitely are blood letter (+ horn for extra CD) as you can DASH and ULT away from any danger you encounter. In combination with assassin helmet you pretty much have an infinite amount of dashes / runs.

Double Bladed Quarterstaff is also a possibility as it's every ganker's favorite tool but also a gatherer's favorite; as you can use pretty much the same abilities the ganker uses. Stun run + overpower are decent escape abilities.

Other then those, you still have a wide variety of weapons you could chose from; Hammers (gr8 hammer), Axe (whirlwind + adrenaline boost), Spear (inner focus), Bows, Arcane staff (especially occult), Frost staff,... there are various amount of skills that can be used to escape. Anything with decent slows, stuns or jumps / run speed modifiers is a great choice.

But best of them all; any kind of gathering gear really. Almost no ganker can keep up with a decent skilled gathering gear player. Remember: a gatherer doesn't fight ANY fight, but runs as fast as they can to secure their hard earned loot. NEVER fight with gathering gear (but i advice you to use gathering gear bcs of the yield bonus + gr8 escape skills), in case you're a gatherer. ;)

If you want to Pk them back; look up beststrike or carthh builds. Both players tend to roam red / black zone solo and PK / farm mob camps by themselves.
    albiononline.com/en/characterbuilder/search?q=carthh
    albiononline.com/en/characterbuilder/search?q=Beststrike

Both are very decent PKers and can escape / gank + fight any danger they encounter. A lot of builds tend to have mercenary jacket in them because of bloodlust so if you want to fight someone, you will have to start thinking about a way around this skill (invisibility doesn't work -> first paragraph). Remove positive effects, high movability, reduced healing (also on dagger) or ice block could help you counter those builds

The post was edited 6 times, last by Fedel ().

• Ausimus wrote:

Lots of variables to consider here. For example:

Even though you said you'd gather solo do you belong to a big guild or will you be small guild/no guild?

***After I've chosen what build I want to go for I will be looking for a guild. I am reluctant to do that before I am sure what I want to play.

I know you said you'd mostly gather but do you want to just gather or are you wanting to experience PVE content/PVP action (outside of defending yourself from a gank)?

***I very much enjoy PVE (expeditions, farming mobs) and have yet to experience PVP outside of duels. I don't see myself as a solely gatherer, though, so I want to build for something that is fitting for PVE as well.

Are you wanting to survive/escape a gank or are you wanting to win the fight?

***I'm thinking that best defence is a good offence?

If you want to win then you definitely need to go DPS--something like dagger/claws/double bladed staff like everyone else is advising.

If you want to just survive and you're already used to playing a tank in other MMOs then my advice is hammers.

You can wear leather for the better DPS or go ahead and go plate chest/helm with leather boots (or really even plate boots if you prefer) but hammers have decent DPS for "tank" weapons and all kinds of stuns. Or you can go Maces for the roots/silences if you prefer those over stuns.

You probably won't win too many fights 1v1 like this but you can stun/root and escape all day. This has the added bonus of making PVE easier for you since DPS queue times for T6 and below expeditions is insane. Queue times for tanks....less than 2 seconds most of the time. If you have a big guild to support you then this is less important as you can get guild groups as any class (in a good guild, anyway). Dungeon Farming, Expeditions, Hellgates--all need tanks and in the "LFG" channel that's what you see--a need for tanks and healers. DPS is a dime a dozen. Plus, if you like tanking you'll love big battles as a tank in this game. Our role as initiators, CC and enemy team separation/support denial is a blast.

***Tank does sound very appealing as I have played tank in many MMOs before, however I am worried that I won't be able to solo mobs in the open world, not sure how the DPS of hammers is. Maybe I will just go tank and for PVE I will simply group up.
    You have given me lot to think about, see my answers in the quote. I am leaning towards tanking now....
    As for your armor of choice; assassin jacket is easily countered by a poison potion (mostly combined with merc jacket -> bloodlust for free heals), in case any decent PKer crosses your path.

Fedel wrote:

Other then that the invisibility is pretty decent over all if they don't have a poison pot or slow response time. You could also go for knight - Wind Wall, which is a decent choice in case multiple gankers are trying to gank you. Especially if you go into any kind of choke point, a wind wall does wonders. Leather royal armor could also be used if you tend to use your other escape abilities more often; it has a huge CD modifier.

For your boots i'd suggest the plate wanderlust boots (or gathering gear boots) as any PKer could possibly DMG you (including poison potion) and you will get an increased speed buff which is pretty decent over all. In general the basic RUN skill isn't bad either but imo wanderlust has more potential if you get hit even only once or more.

The helmet could either be assassin or soldier. Assassin is good since wanderlust has a longer CD but if you use the helmet afterwards you will get it back even faster + your other skills as well. Soldier helmet has block which could be a good choice in certain situations but i'm not completely convinced with this skill as it only lasts 2s, while assassin removed 10s of any CD you have (for a 2s channel).

As for your weapon you can do whatever you want really, there are numerous weapons that offer decent escape abilities. The most common ones definitely are blood letter (+ horn for extra CD) as you can DASH and ULT away from any danger you encounter. In combination with assassin helmet you pretty much have an infinite amount of dashes / runs.

Double Bladed Quarterstaff is also a possibility as it's every ganker's favorite tool but also a gatherer's favorite; as you can use pretty much the same abilities the ganker uses. Stun run + overpower are decent escape abilities.

Other then those, you still have a wide variety of weapons you could chose from; Hammers (gr8 hammer), Axe (whirlwind + adrenaline boost), Spear (inner focus), Bows, Arcane staff (especially occult), Frost staff,... there are various amount of skills that can be used to escape. Anything with decent slows, stuns or jumps / run speed modifiers is a great choice.

But best of them all; any kind of gathering gear really. Almost no ganker can keep up with a decent skilled gathering gear player. Remember: a gatherer doesn't fight ANY fight, but runs as fast as they can to secure their hard earned loot. NEVER fight with gathering gear (but i advice you to use gathering gear bcs of the yield bonus + gr8 escape skills), in case you're a gatherer. ;)

If you want to Pk them back; look up beststrike or carthh builds. Both players tend to roam red / black zone solo and PK / farm mob camps by themselves.
    albiononline.com/en/characterbuilder/search?q=carthh
    albiononline.com/en/characterbuilder/search?q=Beststrike

Both are very decent PKers and can escape / gank + fight any danger they encounter. A lot of builds tend to have mercenary jacket in them because of bloodlust so if you want to fight someone, you will have to start thinking about a way around this skill (invisibility doesn't work -> first paragraph). Remove positive effects, high movability, reduced healing (also on dagger) or ice block could help you counter those builds
    Would great hammers work with the armour pieces that you have mentioned?

The post was edited 1 time, last by Krator ().

• Gr8 hammer could definitely work. Of course everything described is a build on paper because you are the one that has to utilize it perfectly. Wanderlust boots can never go wrong if the enemy doesn't have heavy CC, knight armor / assassin jacket is a matter of timing / moment and the assassin helmet can be used once wanderlust / other escape skills have been used. It could work with any decent escape weapon really.

Imo blood letter is still a bit better bcs you can pair it with a horn (but a bit more expensive), which has even more CD while the jump skill already has a low CD (10s). Of course if you tend to hunt mob camps or gather leather gr8 hammer won't do very high DMG unless you use heavy cleave (can't use charge anymore). It also depends on your ganker: if your ganker uses mainly slow spells, a dash won't help a lot while a movement speed buff would deny a part of the movement speed debuff so eventually everything is situational.

But gr8 hammer does apply slow on both it's Q and W skills + a stun on it's ult. Remember any heavy target with loads of CC reduction (which is highly doubtable if it's a solo ganker) doesn't receive it's full length! So in theory it's a pretty decent weapon to escape (if you also hit the stuns and slows). So after all it will always be situational and how you handle the situation.
  • Right now what I'm leaning towards, following your replies, getting great hammer as a weapon. I plan to solo pve with it too (leveling up skinning and mining) and see how that goes (hopefully great hammer has enough dps to make levelling skinning viable with it).

And on the plus side I will be able to tank in dungeons, which as Ausimus means almost instant queues.
  • Krator wrote:

Right now what I'm leaning towards, following your replies, getting great hammer as a weapon. I plan to solo pve with it too (leveling up skinning and mining) and see how that goes (hopefully great hammer has enough dps to make levelling skinning viable with it).

And on the plus side I will be able to tank in dungeons, which as Ausimus means almost instant queues.

Also take in mind that your mount is a very important trait in escaping gankers. Always try to stand next to your horse if you're gathering and try to utilize the highest tier horse possible (and preferably armored horses or speedy mounts like the stag). So a lot of the time you won't have to use your EQ anyway, unless you encounter highly skilled gankers or group ganks. Just make sure you can afford it (breed horses yourself, for example). Knowing your map and not bumping into objects will make you ungankable. Also remember; if you want to hop from one zone to an other and you have gankers behind you, try to bait them into attacking you at the zone you're in. If they attack you and you join the next zone, they will not be able to mount up again in the next one (a free escape!).

Also: do not fill up your horse's inventory but your own. NEVER overweight yourself as you will be free loot (also never bring an ox lol). That's why armored horses are easier bcs they don't have their own weight and you see your own weight directly. This will avoid as much risk as possible, in case you get demounted. Just make sure you can afford it - breed your own horses! I currently own 5-ish armored horses and have one extra breeding on my island, for example. (only invest once in a foal -> use crafting focus and you will have endless horses).

Great hammer has lower DMG so i'm not entirely sure if it will work decently enough in gathering leather but it is indeed a great tank weapon (pair it with plate armor to get the tank role). Remember it also has a passive stun so i'm pretty sure you won't run out of CC pretty soon (unless mana runs out).

Oh... and please try to avoid wildlife. They are the main reason gatherers are free loot for gankers (especially tigers lol).

The post was edited 6 times, last by Fedel ().

• Krator wrote:

Can you tank in anything but mace/hammer? I'm thinking a higher dps weapon.
    As a TANK for expeditions you're pretty much bound to mace / hammer. Sword or quarterstaff could also be a possibility if you have the second passive skill unlocked (+threat generation AND preferably plate armor / shield).
    You really need to be able to tank so a lot of health (weapons offer additional HP + regen if you equip it) and resistance is needed in expeditions and especially threat generation is very important to keep mobs on yourself instead of them running all over the place. That's the most important thing really; keeping the mobs onto yourself. Plate armor's basic skill taunt will also help out a lot but keep in mind you will need other defensive skills as well (shield charge / helmet) in case the boss goes mental.

Threatening stike is also a very good skill since it generates additional threat (both hammer + mace) but a 1H sword + shield also generates additional threat (shields have + threat generation).

You also need to combine anything you want to use with plate armor, as the armor type mostly determines your role (for healer the weapon, for example). If you want to level plate armor or leather armor you can always equip leather (for DPS role) and equip plate once you're in the expedition (it won't change role again).

The post was edited 4 times, last by Fedel ().

• Fedel wrote:

Krator wrote:

Can you tank in anything but mace/hammer? I'm thinking a higher dps weapon.
    As a TANK for expeditions you're pretty much bound to mace / hammer. Sword or quarterstaff could also be a possibility if you have the second passive skill unlocked (+threat generation AND preferably plate armor / shield).You really need to be able to tank so a lot of health (weapons offer additional HP + regen if you equip it) and resistance is needed in expeditions and especially threat generation is very important to keep mobs on yourself instead of them running all over the place. That's the most important thing really; keeping the mobs onto yourself. Plate armor's basic skill taunt will also help out a lot but keep in mind you will need other defensive skills as well (shield charge / helmet) in case the boss goes mental.

Threatening stike is also a very good skill since it generates additional threat (both hammer + mace) but a 1H sword + shield also generates additional threat (shields have + threat generation).

You also need to combine anything you want to use with plate armor, as the armor type mostly determines your role (for healer the weapon, for example). If you want to level plate armor or leather armor you can always equip leather (for DPS role) and equip plate once you're in the expedition (it won't change role again).
    So technically I could tank with a sword or quarterstaff + plate armor... I'll look into this as well.
  • Once again those moments when you need to realise that you can't have it all.

Best solo combat fame farmers have next to none escapes.
    Best escapists are the same builds as gankers use = deal no damage and rely only on numbers.
    Leather Chest already dictates you won't be a real tank.
    Ding dong the witch is dead!

Officer of Nilfgaard (Haamu's party)
  • Nervontuxis wrote:

Once again those moments when you need to realise that you can't have it all.

Best solo combat fame farmers have next to none escapes.
    Best escapists are the same builds as gankers use = deal no damage and rely only on numbers.
    Leather Chest already dictates you won't be a real tank.
    Yeah I understand that, but this thread was made for suggestions. I got lot of help from the folks that posted here.
    I am not looking to have the best build for something. I'm looking for the best all around option. Obviously it won't have the best DPS and not the best escape.