healler in PvP

  • From what I've read so far, holy is better in PVE, where as Nature is better in PVP, due do hots, where holy is casts, which can be interrupted. Hots are instant, with a smaller cast range.

    I would like to focus more in pvp, but at the present point in time, I'm gearing and learning the class.

    Playing a druid myself. Still looking for some guides and pointers for now, but I'll learn soon enough :)
    I am the Storm that rages within.
  • Why not get both to T4 and test them out? From what i have heard both are viable in PvP/PvE and mainly depend on your personal preferences.
    The only advice i can give is that nature changes a lot after you unlock the rank 15 skill, since the range improves significantly and you can do some nifty tricks with it.
  • Though the many MMO's I've played over the years, I played the least with hots, and more through put via direct heals as a healer, hence me going the nature root. I guess it'll go quick in T5/6 Expeditions to level a holy staff up to T4, will test this weekend. And shall report back, if you haven't done so yourself yet.
    I am the Storm that rages within.
  • single target holy heal can be buffed up greatly by using casting speed manipulating food, items + skill (speedcaster) with that you can reach incredible numbers due to HPS
    vs
    natur staf's single target heal is a hot (healing over time) effect, so you can manage simultaneously more team member, but under a much much lower HPS than you would be able to do it with holy

    life touch staff - "holy touch" skill as an aoe holy spell is the greatest aoe, team healing skill in the game due to HPS but it has short range (3m)
    vs
    Wild staf's "Well of life" skill is the 2. greatest aoe heal in game, it has much, much lower HPS but has much longer range (13m)

    I have to mentioning natur's mushroom, it's a very long range (15m) field aoe HOT skill that have to be activated by stepping inside the field. Well, same as with all natur skills, "slowly but surely" : ) long range, short cooldown, very low hps


    not cardinal due to "team healer" gameplay, but we all play solo as well... so:
    Nature staff has far the worst DPS in the game when it coms to soloing. Casting speed do not effects the DOT ticks
    vs
    Holy staff can have better DPS than a fire staff by using casting speed manipulateing food, passive skills + speedcaster. It's just a short time window till "speedcaster" is active, but till that time it's a shootgun! food and passives still improveing it's dps greatly.

    Summariseing:
    If you can handle to close the gap between your team mates to land your great aoe "E"s than holy is 100× better in all aspects! (right now)

    The post was edited 2 times, last by Cartographer ().

  • Cartographer wrote:

    not cardinal due to "team healer" gameplay, but we all play solo as well... so:Nature staff has far the worst DPS in the game when it coms to soloing. Casting speed do not effects the DOT ticks
    vs
    Holy staff can have better DPS than a fire staff by using casting speed manipulateing food, passive skills + speedcaster. It's just a short time window till "speedcaster" is active, but till that time it's a shootgun! food and passives still improveing it's dps greatly.
    Nature staff DPS when soloing can be increased quite a bit with a druid robe (obsessive burst) and a mage hat (poison). Just cast OB then alternate between Q (Rejuvination) and W (Poison) three times, then mage poison, to load up stacks on the OB; then autoattack until it is time to renew the W (if necessary). Since Nature poison is (very short radius) AoE, you can even take on 2-3 mobs at a time if you can maneuver them next to each other (players are not as likely to stack themselves up)

    Casting speed gear does make your poison cast faster which is nice (and your E spell if it has casting time -- I use druid staff which has an instant - but delayed - big heal). Faster poison means you can get more stacks of OB and are less likely to get interrupted (and more likely to be able to avoid AoEs).

    I've never tried using potions or food, so can't comment on how helpful they are. Think I will try them today.

    The nice thing about healer soloing is that, while it can take longer to kill mobs, you tend to always stay near full health, which means if an enemy player comes along you are not an easy gank, and there is little downtime between fights. It also means that if you fail to avoid the big hits from mobs, you have lots of health available to absorb them.

    I would be interested to hear from others what the most important support gear (head/chest/feet) is for nature staff solo PvP, as my current setup (druid staff, druid robe, mage hat, druid shoes) doesn't have a lot in the way of CC (except for the druid shoes slow) or shielding capabilities. Should I be looking at any of the gathering (fibre, wood, hides in my case) gear? I've heard that the cursed staff is the biggest enemy of nature staff -- what is the counter to it?

    Recommendation: If you choose druid staff (and/or druid armour), learn to craft it yourself because it can be very expensive to replace.

    The post was edited 8 times, last by Zotar ().

  • Zotar wrote:

    Cartographer wrote:

    not cardinal due to "team healer" gameplay, but we all play solo as well... so:Nature staff has far the worst DPS in the game when it coms to soloing. Casting speed do not effects the DOT ticks
    vs
    Holy staff can have better DPS than a fire staff by using casting speed manipulateing food, passive skills + speedcaster. It's just a short time window till "speedcaster" is active, but till that time it's a shootgun! food and passives still improveing it's dps greatly.
    I've heard that the cursed staff is the biggest enemy of nature staff -- what is the counter to it?
    Probably cause you do damage over time with the curse staff attacks/damages. This directly counters/reduces your healing over time with the nature healing spells.
    Support - Holy magic.

  • Cartographer wrote:

    If you can handle to close the gap between your team mates to land your great aoe "E"s than holy is 100× better in all aspects! (right now)
    We should mention that holy has no armor/resistance buffs, so its a pure HPS healing style. Nature has two armor/resistance buffs that can increase the EHP of a player from 20-70%, which also increases the effectiveness of the hots. So if you can master/utilize this type of play-style i see some advantages in the nature side of healing as well.

    The post was edited 1 time, last by Andy22 ().

  • Andy22 wrote:

    Cartographer wrote:

    If you can handle to close the gap between your team mates to land your great aoe "E"s than holy is 100× better in all aspects! (right now)
    We should mention that holy has no armor/resistance buffs, so its a pure HPS healing style. Nature has two armor/resistance buffs that can increase the EHP of a player from 20-70%, which also increases the effectiveness of the hots. So if you can master/utilize this type of play-style i see some advantages in the nature side of healing as well.
    true and actualy I like that aspect.. but you know what is funny? Players do not prefer when you use these skills on them. No matter how hard I try to describe that it's basicaly a dmg reduction, so same if if they would see green numbers over their charactes... it's psichology... they wanna see the green numbers or "healer should learn to play" : P

    The post was edited 1 time, last by Cartographer ().

  • Cartographer wrote:

    Andy22 wrote:

    Cartographer wrote:

    If you can handle to close the gap between your team mates to land your great aoe "E"s than holy is 100× better in all aspects! (right now)
    We should mention that holy has no armor/resistance buffs, so its a pure HPS healing style. Nature has two armor/resistance buffs that can increase the EHP of a player from 20-70%, which also increases the effectiveness of the hots. So if you can master/utilize this type of play-style i see some advantages in the nature side of healing as well.
    true and actualy I like that aspect.. but you know what is funny? Players do not prefer when you use these skills on them. No matter how hard I try to describe that it's basicaly a dmg reduction, so same if if they would see green numbers over their charactes... it's psihology... they wanna see the green numbers or "healer should learn to play" : P
    Lel, sounds like lack of knowledge. Just keep being the wisest, like a magic user should be. ;)
    Support - Holy magic.

  • Zotar wrote:

    Cartographer wrote:

    not cardinal due to "team healer" gameplay, but we all play solo as well... so:Nature staff has far the worst DPS in the game when it coms to soloing. Casting speed do not effects the DOT ticks
    vs
    Holy staff can have better DPS than a fire staff by using casting speed manipulateing food, passive skills + speedcaster. It's just a short time window till "speedcaster" is active, but till that time it's a shootgun! food and passives still improveing it's dps greatly.
    Nature staff DPS when soloing can be increased quite a bit with a druid robe (obsessive burst) and a mage hat (poison). Just cast OB then alternate between Q (Rejuvination) and W (Poison) three times, then mage poison, to load up stacks on the OB; then autoattack until it is time to renew the W (if necessary). Since Nature poison is (very short radius) AoE, you can even take on 2-3 mobs at a time if you can maneuver them next to each other (players are not as likely to stack themselves up)
    Casting speed gear does make your poison cast faster which is nice (and your E spell if it has casting time -- I use druid staff which has an instant - but delayed - big heal). Faster poison means you can get more stacks of OB and are less likely to get interrupted (and more likely to be able to avoid AoEs).

    I've never tried using potions or food, so can't comment on how helpful they are. Think I will try them today.

    The nice thing about healer soloing is that, while it can take longer to kill mobs, you tend to always stay near full health, which means if an enemy player comes along you are not an easy gank, and there is little downtime between fights. It also means that if you fail to avoid the big hits from mobs, you have lots of health available to absorb them.

    I would be interested to hear from others what the most important support gear (head/chest/feet) is for nature staff solo PvP, as my current setup (druid staff, druid robe, mage hat, druid shoes) doesn't have a lot in the way of CC (except for the druid shoes slow) or shielding capabilities. Should I be looking at any of the gathering (fibre, wood, hides in my case) gear? I've heard that the cursed staff is the biggest enemy of nature staff -- what is the counter to it?

    Recommendation: If you choose druid staff (and/or druid armour), learn to craft it yourself because it can be very expensive to replace.
    we can not mentioning arctifact gearing due to this subject, since "obsessive burst" can be used by any build. So if build "A" has 200 dps and build "B" has 300 dps than after obsessive burst build A still bad compaired to build B with obsessive burst. Same goes to poison hat.

    Due to cast time: I tested it a lot and even if you can feel some different is casting time, since it do not influance the tick speed (let it be hot, or dot) it's not worth at all to make a nature build that is built around casting speed modifyers. (due to passive skills, due to active skills and food)

    to keep max hp till soloing can play a role till open world mini boss fights, since with a t4 dagger I can kill a t4 mob without losing any hp at all, with healer gear I end up with full hp, but by spending 5× amount of time. But true what is true, due to mini bosses it counts : )

    The best support gear is defenately mage robe! As a healer you HAVE TO HAVE huge HPS! It's your most important role. Totaly forget to make experiments with gathering gears, since they offer ZERO heal bonus.

    I also would not suggest to make your build setup around artifact items... just yesterday till a 2 hours red/black zone trip I died and was looted out 2 times. From where and how I would be able to refil my bank if I use artifact gear sets? : )
  • Cartographer wrote:

    it's psihology... they wanna see the green numbers or "healer should learn to play" : P
    I can't blame them, its harder to track/identify your buffs, compared to just check the hp bar. Yet in combination with debuffs, nature is one of the only reliable ways to get you up to 50% mitigation, which may or may not be usefully depending on the type of PvP/PvE.
  • Cartographer wrote:

    we can not mentioning arctifact gearing due to this subject, since "obsessive burst" can be used by any build. So if build "A" has 200 dps and build "B" has 300 dps than after obsessive burst build A still bad compaired to build B with obsessive burst. Same goes to poison hat.
    Due to cast time: I tested it a lot and even if you can feel some different is casting time, since it do not influance the tick speed (let it be hot, or dot) it's not worth at all to make a nature build that is built around casting speed modifyers. (due to passive skills, due to active skills and food)

    to keep max hp till soloing can play a role till open world mini boss fights, since with a t4 dagger I can kill a t4 mob without losing any hp at all, with healer gear I end up with full hp, but by spending 5× amount of time. But true what is true, due to mini bosses it counts : )

    The best support gear is defenately mage robe! As a healer you HAVE TO HAVE huge HPS! It's your most important role. Totaly forget to make experiments with gathering gears, since they offer ZERO heal bonus.

    I also would not suggest to make your build setup around artifact items... just yesterday till a 2 hours red/black zone trip I died and was looted out 2 times. From where and how I would be able to refil my bank if I use artifact gear sets? : )
    Good point about the armour being suitable for any build. However, I think it is particularly useful for healers, since our DPS starts out so low that it is painful to fight with base dps. With druid robe and mage hat, it becomes not-too-bad (with 4.1 gear, I can fight 2-3 Tier 5 mobs at a time without too much danger). Are druid robe/mage hat common gear for dps builds as well?

    I don't really use a lot of cast-time modifiers besides the book, which I am primarily leveling so I can use the eye of secrets later, so I haven't done a lot of testing.

    On the mage robe, I started out with that but it only has a slightly better bonus to damage than the other cloth robes and its special ability is pretty much useless (since it is based on how damaged you are -- which you won't be as a healer).

    The artifact issue is why I am investigating alternatives now, as I don't really want to lose lots of artifact gear in PvP. On the other hand, artifact costs are coming down and I am starting stock them up, so I getting to the point where I can afford to replace them.

    Are druid shoes useful in PvP or is the frozen ground too easy to avoid? They tend to be pretty cheap at least.

    The post was edited 2 times, last by Zotar ().

  • Cartographer wrote:



    Holy staff can have better DPS than a fire staff by using casting speed manipulateing food, passive skills + speedcaster. It's just a short time window till "speedcaster" is active, but till that time it's a shootgun! food and passives still improveing it's dps greatly.
    People don't realize how powerful smite really is when geared accordingly. For solo, lifetouch self heal is unbeatable.
  • Zotar wrote:

    Cartographer wrote:

    we can not mentioning arctifact gearing due to this subject, since "obsessive burst" can be used by any build. So if build "A" has 200 dps and build "B" has 300 dps than after obsessive burst build A still bad compaired to build B with obsessive burst. Same goes to poison hat.
    Due to cast time: I tested it a lot and even if you can feel some different is casting time, since it do not influance the tick speed (let it be hot, or dot) it's not worth at all to make a nature build that is built around casting speed modifyers. (due to passive skills, due to active skills and food)

    to keep max hp till soloing can play a role till open world mini boss fights, since with a t4 dagger I can kill a t4 mob without losing any hp at all, with healer gear I end up with full hp, but by spending 5× amount of time. But true what is true, due to mini bosses it counts : )

    The best support gear is defenately mage robe! As a healer you HAVE TO HAVE huge HPS! It's your most important role. Totaly forget to make experiments with gathering gears, since they offer ZERO heal bonus.

    I also would not suggest to make your build setup around artifact items... just yesterday till a 2 hours red/black zone trip I died and was looted out 2 times. From where and how I would be able to refil my bank if I use artifact gear sets? : )
    Good point about the armour being suitable for any build. However, I think it is particularly useful for healers, since our DPS starts out so low that it is painful to fight with base dps. With druid robe and mage hat, it becomes not-too-bad (with 4.1 gear, I can fight 2-3 Tier 5 mobs at a time without too much danger). Are druid robe/mage hat common gear for dps builds as well?
    I don't really use a lot of cast-time modifiers besides the book, which I am primarily leveling so I can use the eye of secrets later, so I haven't done a lot of testing.

    On the mage robe, I started out with that but it only has a slightly better bonus to damage than the other cloth robes and its special ability is pretty much useless (since it is based on how damaged you are -- which you won't be as a healer).

    The artifact issue is why I am investigating alternatives now, as I don't really want to lose lots of artifact gear in PvP. On the other hand, artifact costs are coming down and I am starting stock them up, so I getting to the point where I can afford to replace them.

    Are druid shoes useful in PvP or is the frozen ground too easy to avoid? They tend to be pretty cheap at least.
    the frozen ground is realy great in a dungeons if you useing it next to the wall and force your opponent to dodge it - aka - he will agro some mobs on himself if you place it well : )
    But keep in mind that red dungeons (where it starts to count) are full of zerging teams, so these kind of tactics can play a role after a great population drop when small scale pvp will be common in dungeons. you will not change a fight with a frozen ground in a 10 vs 10 thats for sure.