A View to a Gank: Amateur Gankers' Guide

• lustweed wrote:

well written post thanks :thumbup:

could you advise a build best to escape gankers ? (ie does having multiple invisibility spells can save you?)
    Thanks!

Best build that I have theorycrafted for escape purposes is soldier boot's wanderlust combined with invisibility on the chest. You hit the wanderlust, go invis for 5 seconds, come out of invis with + 150% speed and your run for EVER. That build would annoy the hell out of me.
  • Aggrolove wrote:

Great read dude. What about solo ganking, would you advise this at all. I've read that warbow is the best solo pvp build. I also like the look of dagger pair. the burst is insane.
    I do not recommend solo ganking -- or at least I can't because I haven't had much success with it. You can't succesfully make the money that you need AND escape in the red zone, anyway. Black zone it may be possible but I have not tried it because I think it's unviable.
  • Elarahis wrote:

Nice read but I don't think it is very good advice for gankers... As a miner, people often try to gank me, so far I only died 2 times while mining and it was to 5 player groups, one of each was not tagged and was just following me in gallop.

I honestly do not think it is even possible for a 2 player party to succesfully gank a miner who knows what he is doing. I am new to the game (started 3 days ago) so I am not claiming to be a pro but the miner gear provides so much escape skills and tankiness that 2 players simply cannot kill me.

Your advice to "stay mounted" seems really bad, mounted gankers cannot do anything. First of all any gatherer should always be near his mount, so it is *impossible* for gankers to approach me while I am not mounted because I will mount in half a second as soon as I see a red name on the edge of the screen. Now when gankers come mounted I just laugh, all they can do is try to catch up with me, dismount to break gallop and watch me run away because you have a 5-6 second cooldown on all your skills after unmounting.

About the red squares, this is hilarious because I always farm near the red square, maybe I am lucky but whoever owns "my red zone" 's red square never attacked me, and it seems that gankers are indeed afraid of the red square which makes it a pretty safe zone to farm in the end.

From my perspective this guide looks great to kill idiots or noobs who farm in red zones without a clue, but I guess there are many of them so in the end, it might be good advice after all :)
    There are good gankers and bad gankers. I'd say I'm an above-average ganker and quite honestly I catch gatherers including miners on the hourly when I'm playing. Of course my build is specifically for catching -- I run with 4 stuns and a 2 slows. So...if I get on top of you, you're gonna have a bad time.

The advice I gave absolutely works if executed well. Also I don't think you understood what I said when I wrote about dismounting a mounted player. Maybe re-read. We catch mounted players all the time.
  • Kappatronic wrote:

red zone ganking lul. t3 and t4 gankers with donkeys and t3 horses. killing gatherers and noobs doesnt count bruh. come to the black zone .
    I Played Black Zone for almost the entire Beta test with the exception of the last one. You comparing the too together really has no place. From the way I see it as somebody who has played both sides Red and Black are two completely different worlds which require vastly different mentalities. Both in their own right require skill and knowledge to master.

Black Zones are where the big boys go fair point but you wont find the type of PvP you find in Black in red zones or Vice verca. black zones is full on 10-20 if not larger groups going at it head to head with zerg guilds slapping their epeens in each others faces fighting for top spot. You will rarely find a good 5v5 or smaller happening because the larger groups just run them off.

Red However is where smaller groups of 5-10 really shine. as well as Duo and Trio roaming. I Prefer red zones because of this fact and to be honest this format focuses less on leader ability and more on player ability.

What I'm getting at is you cant call somebody bad for choosing to stay in the red zone because its simply two different worlds. also to say killing gatherers requires no skill is further hilarious because a good gatherer can give the slip to even a seasoned group of 3-5 players.

anyway that's my opinion. Both worlds require equal levels of knowledge and skill but neither have any right to criticise the other ;)
  • deathbymonty wrote:

Aggrolove wrote:

Great read dude. What about solo ganking, would you advise this at all. I've read that warbow is the best solo pvp build. I also like the look of dagger pair. the burst is insane.
    I do not recommend solo ganking -- or at least I can't because I haven't had much success with it. You can't succesfully make the money that you need AND escape in the red zone, anyway. Black zone it may be possible but I have not tried it because I think it's unviable.
    You are 100% Correct in saying this. Solo Ganking is very Unviable in this game. Especially in black zones since its a complete zergfest. My favourite roaming Meta is trios as you get the perfect balance of Damage, Mobility and Support(CC) with good coverage for runners(if you're smart). Duo's work well too like you said Death if the CC'er is good this is heaps viable. However Solo you just lack to much of one or the other. To much damage they can get away from you.. to much CC you can't kill them.. to much Mobility Congratz you're about as useful as Usain Bolt in a Mine field.
  • Arnalya wrote:

Kappatronic wrote:

red zone ganking lul. t3 and t4 gankers with donkeys and t3 horses. killing gatherers and noobs doesnt count bruh. come to the black zone .
    Typical Comment from a noob that doesnt have a clue

Come at me bros. I just killed 3 gankers in t3/t4 in deadvein gully. I will be there waiting for you. Killing you and not even looting you because your gear sucks. :')
    a fair fight for me is when people are more than us. Then they actually have a chance to stay alive.
  • Mentality has changed in 20years. Gankers gank for bloodlust with no other reason than this "rush". No matter how hard your are trying to justify yourself.

In Ultima online wich was full pvp I never had to be afraid of gankers as a crafter / gatherer. Because I was not a valuable enough target. More than this I was the war merchant. Someone that need to be protected or enrolled. But not someone that shall be annoyed.
    Pvp was made between fighters / guilds for the sake of domination.

Well this time is far behind us I guess. Just gank. That how it goes today