Plate healing?

• If the healer is in plate the enemy team will simply focus a dps and the healer will not be able to keep him up. I've been running many HG on release and on beta and I can tell you that getting focused isn't the issue, its using your defensive abilities properly. We have beat teams that were ahead of us in gear and had the offensive buff while we did not because our healer absorbs an insane amnt of pressure. Try using Ice block (Cleric Cowl) Frost Armor (Mage Robe) Shield charge or Roll (Knight boots OR Assassin boots) along with a gigantify potion. If your team cannot peel or secure kills while you cycle through these abilities the issue is with the team, not cloth healer being focused.
  • I think it boils down to the old traditional paradigm... output is far more flexible than defense.

Think of it this way: Defense is only useful if you are being attacked. Output adds value if you're being attacked, or not being attacked. You also have the benefit of being able to heal for longer when you're in offense mode due to energy recovery. You can definitely argue that output has less value than defense when you're being attacked.. but you cannot possibly argue that defense is valuable when you aren't.

In terms of the overall value of a plate healer, you are dropping your output by about 65%... in exchange for the healer in cloth next to you being the priority target instead of you.

What I'd be interested in is a guild trying the Phalanx Philosophy - *everyone* is in plate. No squishy targets. The benefit of defense is constant, no matter who the enemies target. It probably wouldn't work, but in that situation, I could see a plate healer adding value.
  • I think its viable in 1v1 pvp and 2v2 pvp.

With larger groups you probably will be outdmgd to easy, sadly. Except you stay in front line and force them to attack on you, but then you are essentially the tank without much CC.

Still, since you have exp in Plate and in Heals you can now train a tank weapon and some cloth armor and then you can switch between the two most important roles (or three, if the tank weapon is viable as a DPS weapon with Cloth)

And for solo, take the dot on W and the shield on E, take mage cloth helmet for poison (or cleric for iceblock), menacing aura on R (later damage reflect from the hellgate plate armor), armor bubble from the knight boots, be a paladin. :'D People will /suicide before you die. They probably have to bring nearly a full party to even dent you.

The post was edited 2 times, last by Bailey ().

• On this point, since I also toy around with the plate healer build, we should definetely form a 5 person team of plate healers and stomp everyone in pvp. We would be unstoppable.
    Three or so take smite, the others full heal, everyone two bubbles, everyone menacing aura. If we time it right the enemy DPS will cry because of there useless existence. As will the tank. And the enemy healer, since he has not much to heal. Glorious.
  • Bailey wrote:

I think its viable in 1v1 pvp and 2v2 pvp.

With larger groups you probably will be outdmgd to easy, sadly. Except you stay in front line and force them to attack on you, but then you are essentially the tank without much CC.

Still, since you have exp in Plate and in Heals you can now train a tank weapon and some cloth armor and then you can switch between the two most important roles (or three, if the tank weapon is viable as a DPS weapon with Cloth)

And for solo, take the dot on W and the shield on E, take mage cloth helmet for poison (or cleric for iceblock), menacing aura on R (later damage reflect from the hellgate plate armor), armor bubble from the knight boots, be a paladin. :'D People will /suicide before you die. They probably have to bring nearly a full party to even dent you.
    I actually planned to train hammer and arcane. So i can keep my beautiful plate armor with useful classes.
  • I just got back into the game a couple days ago, after leaving Beta alone a little over a year ago now, but am trying my hand in Plate + Holy staff. So here's my two pennies, unless you're in some cutting edge, super group that's organized and aiming toward absolute conquest in PvP, play what you want.

If you mix and match your plate gear right, (at least in t4-5) content you'll do just fine. Last night our group was a Nature Healer, me in my plate with Holy, two Tank types and 3 Dps. In the PvE setting we didn't have any issues until 12+ mobs were pulled and even then.

I'm curious about that Arcane build mentioned though, going to have to check that out.

P.s. In the Beta, as a full cloth Holy Healer, it go super boring, play what you like.
    Stanimal of the Free Trade Company
  • I messed around a bit with the 2 handed priest staff that has the aoe heal/knockback. It's pretty powerful in PvE anyway. I think that spell right there makes a plate wearing healer that is in and out of the fray a very cool idea. You've got shield charge on the knight's boots, emergency heal which is aoe, and the aoe heal/knockback. Especially with a melee oriented group, I could see it working and being really fun. Won't know unless you try...
  • I play a soldier armor wild nature staff. I find it works well for solo PvE. It is slow to kill but it does kill, and it keeps you alive when you get in some ...poo. In group it does not work well for a main heal as I use it. My mana(? blue bar) tends to run dry when I try all heals with the wild staff. There is the replenish mana for the helm but then you loose a 200+ aoe heal. I use poison thorns for on the wild staff giving up an additional healing spell. I have tried to solo PvE in cloth with the wild staff and found plate armor to make the job much easier.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Achak_Adhay ().

• As much as I wish I could run plate chest while healing (I typically prefer paladin style characters in games) it's just not at all viable. Not even remotely viable. Not even a little bit. No chance. Don't do it.

I think you get the point. Running a plate chest over cloth chest while healing loses out on an absolutely ridiculous amount of throughput. You probably won't even be able to out heal a single dps character hitting one of your friends.

Just run mercenary hood, assassin boots, and mage or cleric robes. Nature staff could run a different helm if they slot cleanse on W but the cleanse is too good on helm for holy in my opinion.
  • CieZ wrote:

As much as I wish I could run plate chest while healing (I typically prefer paladin style characters in games) it's just not at all viable. Not even remotely viable. Not even a little bit. No chance. Don't do it.
    Now wait just a minute. Isn't this what we've all been waiting for? A fresh new MMO with new dynamics and all kinds of new stuff? With this we can re-define what works and what doesn't. Or we can play it old and get bored...

The post was edited 1 time, last by Glaive ().