Server Performance and Queue Feedback

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I'm playing with 150ms of ping, I see characters teleporting, when I dodge a magic has really hit me and kills me ... it's unplayable

Have you thought about setting up servers in Europe? Or use some system like lineage 2, eve online, LoL, dota 2 ... when you click, until the server does not receive it, you do not move, thus avoiding the high desynchronization that exists with the server.

It's a good game, but pinging is ruining my experience

PD: Spain, 300mb symetric fiber, FX8320 @ 4.5GHZ, GTX 980 Ti sli * 2
  • Pings

A key feature of Albion Online is that everybody plays in the same game world, no matter where in the world they are.

As a result of that, a person in Australia could be engaged in PvP with a person in London. No matter where are game servers are, the effective ping between these players is going to be however long it takes for a signal in Australia to travel to London. Now, let's assume that is going be be 250ms. If our server was based in Australia, the player there would have a super low ping, say 20ms, and the guy in London would have 230ms. If the server was in London, it would be the other way around. If you think that placing a server in London and Austrlia would fix this, it's not the case. While the London guy would have 20s ping to the London server, and the Austrlia guy 20s ping to the Austrlia server, the ping between the London server and the Australia server would still be 250ms, making the total "lag" between these two players still 290ms. Unless Einstein was wrong and we can make signals travel faster than the speed of light, this will never change.

As a result of that, we scouted the world for different server locations, and chose the one which creates, on average, the best outcome for the player base in total.

Now, when it comes to pings in general, always keep in mind that Albion Online is not League of Legends or Counter-Strike, where a very small number of players sit in a single game, and all of them come from the same region of the world. Albion is designed to work well with moderate or even high pings, it's abilities in general are slower and have a larger margin of error - which naturally does not make it feel as "fast" and accurate as, say, League of Legends, no matter what your ping is. It also means however, that whether you have 30, 70 or 100 ms ping will not really affect your performance in PvP situations.
  • Korn wrote:

Pings

A key feature of Albion Online is that everybody plays in the same game world, no matter where in the world they are.

As a result of that, a person in Australia could be engaged in PvP with a person in London. No matter where are game servers are, the effective ping between these players is going to be however long it takes for a signal in Australia to travel to London. Now, let's assume that is going be be 250ms. If our server was based in Australia, the player there would have a super low ping, say 20ms, and the guy in London would have 230ms. If the server was in London, it would be the other way around. If you think that placing a server in London and Austrlia would fix this, it's not the case. While the London guy would have 20s ping to the London server, and the Austrlia guy 20s ping to the Austrlia server, the ping between the London server and the Australia server would still be 250ms, making the total "lag" between these two players still 290ms. Unless Einstein was wrong and we can make signals travel faster than the speed of light, this will never change.

As a result of that, we scouted the world for different server locations, and chose the one which creates, on average, the best outcome for the player base in total.

Now, when it comes to pings in general, always keep in mind that Albion Online is not League of Legends or Counter-Strike, where a very small number of players sit in a single game, and all of them come from the same region of the world. Albion is designed to work well with moderate or even high pings, it's abilities in general are slower and have a larger margin of error - which naturally does not make it feel as "fast" and accurate as, say, League of Legends, no matter what your ping is. It also means however, that whether you have 30, 70 or 100 ms ping will not really affect your performance in PvP situations.
    I understand how ping works how ever if the server is in america I should have 180ms not 250
    almost all american servers on games i only have 180ms.

also please address or acknowledge - because of the ping I can't get the full distance on my dashes,charges,dodges,etc. please look into this
  • Korn wrote:

Pings

I really wish there was a dislike button so I could click dislike on your contemptible post. You basically, in so many words just told us that high ping is a feature... and you planned for it.

Everyone knows how ping works. What we are telling you is that your idea that there should be only one world server is unacceptable BECAUSE OF PING, not because we don't understand how ping works.
  • I really wish there was a dislike button so I could click dislike on your contemptible post. You basically, in so many words just told us that high ping is a feature... and you planned for it.
    Everyone knows how ping works. What we are telling you is that your idea that there should be only one world server is unacceptable BECAUSE OF PING, not because we don't understand how ping works.
    [/quote]

i had the micro jump back too, in the muntain town, and i noticed same ping as usual (100-150 as i'm in eu), that was the fps value the problem (0 instead of usual 7 in town during beta)
    IGN: LewdPriest
  • ntall1 wrote:

So is this what you are asking for?

Europe Server, North America Server, Asia Server, etc

When you Create a Character you choose the server you like (low ping) and can't interact with people on the other servers? I would be OK with that but I'm not sure the population will be high enough to be divided between different servers.
  • Actually, AO should have 2 main server groups: PvE maps/Instances/Islands and PvP maps/Instances.

PvE servers can stay at US East Coast, as ping for PvE is not that important as long as you adapt to your ping values.

PvP servers should be located in Azores (more or less half-way between North America, South America and Europe) so ping values remain more or less balanced.