(Old) Winter Alpha Roadmap

• Bercilak wrote:

@Amon and @VoodooDog

Both features make sense, the point is more or less everything we have on our list is what we value higher right now. Value higher means that the features we are having will significantly change the amount of time someone is spending in game. Friends List almost made it onto that list but there are some big features on it which take a lot of time. This time the schedule is very tight so we had to cut some things. Obviously sooner or later we will add a friends list, just not right know, where we think the game has bigger needs than a friends list.

Kind regards,
    Stefan

makes sense. thank you for the reply :)
  • In my perspective I think having less penalties in green zones and promote them more will be beneficial towards the yellow and red zones. It will not take people out of the reds zones, it will just create a way for players to start building themselves and then start moving onto the more dangerous zones more properly.

And I think this will contribute for players keep playing the game without getting bored or tired of dying because of being weak guilds/ solo players or anything else because they actually get a proper way to build themselves and then start conquering. ( I mean by this, the introduction of Islands and the places where a guild with no plot can atack other guild plots)
    "Winter is coming"
  • Grimfest wrote:

Antoniius wrote:

Can't wait to access the game !!

Really well done!

@Bercilak Is this the thread we should be looking at for updates and progress? I know how you guys like to keep us engaged in the project and I was just wondering if you plan on any sort of official progress reporting or if you are just going to give us little teases In threads from time to time and on social media outlets? If you are looking for an example of what I mean, playrust dot com would be a good example of what I am referring to when I say official progress reporting. Thanks again.

I was wondering the same thing as ^^
  • Missions: We will also be introducing a mission system that will tie in with the open world but will be designed in such a way that it has diminishing returns when too many players grind missions. (i.e. they are no infinite source of rewards). Missions will also be connected to the factions as mentioned above.

Maybe the Mission "returns" would diminish but then reset after a period of time. This would help those who did not use their mission acquired resources as optimally as they could have.
  • Hello everyone. I'm very much intersted in AO and will participate in next testing. I was wondering about one thing, are there any plans for some kind of bandit "career"? Like hiding in the caves, in the woods, hidden storages for your stolen loot which can be found and looted by others, robing people transporting stuff on the road... something like that.
  • Zarf wrote:

While there's no hidden storage, you are free to attack and attempt to kill anyone in the yellow or red zones. Then you are able to relieve them of their possessions if you so desire. Solo bandits may not be successful in the long run, as their exploits become known, others will seek them out with a vendetta. :)

Ohhhhh Snap!!!!!!! LOL

Then they will be FORSAKEN whilst an overwhelming feeling of GRIEF is like a FACEPUNCH that is the new GENESIS of stories that the unwanted and BANISHED TITANS of the underworld become GUARDIANS seeking MERCHANTS with BLACK C___KS to become IMMORTALS!!!!

lol...I had a few drinks so probably makes no sense and couldn't bring myself to write the second name of the guild "black c__ks" because just doesn't seem right lol (took me 12 minutes to write that haha)
  • Zarf wrote:

While there's no hidden storage, you are free to attack and attempt to kill anyone in the yellow or red zones. Then you are able to relieve them of their possessions if you so desire. Solo bandits may not be successful in the long run, as their exploits become known, others will seek them out with a vendetta. :)

But that is not really being a bandit, is it. I mean it is like in EvE online where you could be a "pirate". But what it means in reality that you are only more aggressive than others and even there are few things which can give you that pirate feel I think its still not it. And same goes to being a bandit. Hunting people in yellow and red zone is not really being a bandit, that is just being aggressive and attacking on sight and if you know you are going to win. I'm talking more about "bandit features". I understand that AO is in alpha but I was asking more in the future, after release. I guess that if Sandbox Interactive ever thought about it, we wouldn't know now in alpha anyway. So I have to wait after release and I'll see where it is going. In the meantime I can try the usual way of play or maybe figure out ways to be a bandit already. :)

Just to clarify. I think (even though I haven't played AO yet) AO looks like a great game and something I was hoping would be released so I was super happy when I found out about this game. But I was usually hunting for evil people and since EvE I was wondering if there is a sandbox game where you could actually get that "bandit" feel. Well we'll see. Hell maybe I'll end up being a crafting guy. :D
  • Saatus wrote:

What for you fighting for? You cant find out who is better player as there is little or no skill involved.

Zeax wrote:

you'll have to sort out how you can even kill a player 1v1 as at the moment you cannot.. if that player knows how to heal himself, only chance is if he/she has the wrong abilities.

I haven't been lucky enough to play the game yet, but comments like these concern me. Does skilled play not exist in the form of timed combos, the use of interrupts, etc? I was hopeful a solo player could at least have a chance of winning in a 1v2 if he or she used the mechanics correctly. In the context of UO, a solo player could do the following:

1. Combos
    Example: weaken-precast explosion-weapon hit-explosion-energy bolt-poison-weapon hit-poison-purple pot-lightning, etc.
    The above play style could have multiple variations depending on how the opponent reacted.

2. Interrupts
    Example: Small damage spells like harm, weapon strikes, stuns, etc.

3. Defensive plays
    Example: Magic reflection, hiding/forcing monster agro, using the map to your advantage, pots, EVs, paralyze, stealing, teleport, etc.

It was pretty easy to demonstrate skill in UO:

I can recall many times when I would simply flag grey, run into a group of blues and easily make my way out. Is this not possible in AO? I realize this isn't UO, but am I going to be disappointed?
  • jron wrote:

Saatus wrote:

What for you fighting for? You cant find out who is better player as there is little or no skill involved.

Zeax wrote:

you'll have to sort out how you can even kill a player 1v1 as at the moment you cannot.. if that player knows how to heal himself, only chance is if he/she has the wrong abilities.

I haven't been lucky enough to play the game yet, but comments like these concern me. Does skilled play not exist in the form of timed combos, the use of interrupts, etc? I was hopeful a solo player could at least have a chance of winning in a 1v2 if he or she used the mechanics correctly. In the context of UO, a solo player could do the following:

1. Combos
    Example: weaken-precast explosion-weapon hit-explosion-energy bolt-poison-weapon hit-poison-purple pot-lightning, etc.
    The above play style could have multiple variations depending on how the opponent reacted.

2. Interrupts
    Example: Small damage spells like harm, weapon strikes, stuns, etc.

3. Defensive plays
    Example: Magic reflection, hiding/forcing monster agro, using the map to your advantage, pots, EVs, paralyze, stealing, teleport, etc.

It was pretty easy to demonstrate skill in UO:

I can recall many times when I would simply flag grey, run into a group of blues and easily make my way out. Is this not possible in AO? I realize this isn't UO, but am I going to be disappointed?

indeed. most of the game is from the get go. like oh you got plate armor against this mage. There are no interrupts currently. cant say about 1 and 3 because lack of understanding of how uo does it.
    I say CAKE to fantasy races. <- feels left out
  • @jron If you are disappointed or not, is hard to say for me. But regarding your post you might want to continue playing UO and maybe have a look later at Albion once its released.

Regarding Combat: We are aware that our combat right now is a lot about your choice of gear primarily and not so much about skill usage yet. However we are also constantly implementing changes to make it more challenging.

Example: Interrupts will be implemented for the next test! And we will add more spells which require you to move strategically.

Our Approach: This is our first MMO and we have a lot of respect towards MMOs from a technical perspective. Therefore we prefer to start with simple mechanics and than slowly adding more "complexity" which means also more "challanges" from a technical perspective. We want to make sure we do not promise mechanics which then are either implemented poorly or dont work at all and have to be removed.

So when it comes to combat I am pretty convinced it will not be like UO at all, but it will be its own game with its own pros and cons AND as stated above it will constantly be improved. Don't forget we are still in a "real" alpha, where we are testing a lot and are still implementing major features.

Kind regards,
    Stefan
  • As a former EVE pirate, it seems to me that (for better or worse) the mechanics that support piracy in EVE simply do not exist at this time in Albion, although they might at some time in the future.

What distinguishes the pirate from the mere pvper, is that a pirate intends to make a profit through pvp. This means you need to have a practical way to 1) take down a target in a cost effective way (so that after accounting for wins & losses, you come out ahead financially), or 2) trap the player you might not otherwise be able to kill so that you can levy a ransom (or wait for friends to show up).

For 1), cost effectiveness, it's all about being able to punch above your weight. With maxed out weapons and fitting skills, your frigate is more than capable of taking on larger, more expensive vessels in the hands of less (character) skilled players. While there do seem to be counter-builds in Albion, I've not yet heard that there is any way that (say) a T5 player can reasonably take on a T8 player, short of the T8 player being outnumbered or AFK. That may change as the devs have indicated that they want to add depth to the combat and skills systems, so someone who focuses heavily on a particular tier could potentially match a less skilled character in a higher (more expensive) tier.

It also seems to me that the likely tier cap for piracy would be the highest tier that can be made in the green zone (will always be dirt cheap/readily available to pirates), which currently means T5. Above that and costs will make probably pvp progressively less profitable.

Ransoms, 2), are primarily about targets that you can't kill, but which can't kill you or escape. Many a battlecruiser or battleship has paid ransom to a T1 frigate, simply because it's easier than waiting for one of your friends to come and help you (hopefully before one of their friends comes to help them!). This can only work if you can stop the target from getting away. I've not heard about any mechanics that would allow me to lock down a target in Albion.

This is a very difficult balance to strike, as players hate losing control over their characters. EVE had the warp mechanic - you could prevent escape, but that mod did not prevent tactical maneuvering. It was an excellent balance, really. Albion lacks anything like that, and while it is easy to implement something like a net, getting the balance right would be quite tricky.
  • Taurean wrote:

As a former EVE pirate, it seems to me that (for better or worse) the mechanics that support piracy in EVE simply do not exist at this time in Albion, although they might at some time in the future.

What distinguishes the pirate from the mere pvper, is that a pirate intends to make a profit through pvp. This means you need to have a practical way to 1) take down a target in a cost effective way (so that after accounting for wins & losses, you come out ahead financially), or 2) trap the player you might not otherwise be able to kill so that you can levy a ransom (or wait for friends to show up).

For 1), cost effectiveness, it's all about being able to punch above your weight. With maxed out weapons and fitting skills, your frigate is more than capable of taking on larger, more expensive vessels in the hands of less (character) skilled players. While there do seem to be counter-builds in Albion, I've not yet heard that there is any way that (say) a T5 player can reasonably take on a T8 player, short of the T8 player being outnumbered or AFK. That may change as the devs have indicated that they want to add depth to the combat and skills systems, so someone who focuses heavily on a particular tier could potentially match a less skilled character in a higher (more expensive) tier.

It also seems to me that the likely tier cap for piracy would be the highest tier that can be made in the green zone (will always be dirt cheap/readily available to pirates), which currently means T5. Above that and costs will make probably pvp progressively less profitable.

Ransoms, 2), are primarily about targets that you can't kill, but which can't kill you or escape. Many a battlecruiser or battleship has paid ransom to a T1 frigate, simply because it's easier than waiting for one of your friends to come and help you (hopefully before one of their friends comes to help them!). This can only work if you can stop the target from getting away. I've not heard about any mechanics that would allow me to lock down a target in Albion.

This is a very difficult balance to strike, as players hate losing control over their characters. EVE had the warp mechanic - you could prevent escape, but that mod did not prevent tactical maneuvering. It was an excellent balance, really. Albion lacks anything like that, and while it is easy to implement something like a net, getting the balance right would be quite tricky.

Gear set aside, Its not profitable because when you kill someone half of their gear is destroyed in the process. I believe this is to keep the demand high on new gear. I don't play Eve but I have heard stories about the real cash values of some of the items in it and I will say, nothing has that sort of value in Albion "Yet", but as @Bercilak said they are in real alpha and things can change. It has been talked about, but I am not sure what they settled on, there needs to be a balance in value of kill vs keeping the demand up on production of new gear.. If its getting a silver return on broken gear(scrapyard/smelting/recycling whatever you want to call it) but currently this game doesn't support PvPing for profit, as @Taurean Mentioned. Currently you PvP for fun or control of resource locations. Currently its mostly about Guild Conflict and Territory Control. Kind of like "Risk" the game, meets medieval MMO. Its not much of a Role Playing game. To hammer it home, I would say it is a MMO not a MMORPG, I personally love the game and look forward to being part of its growth. Where they take it we will have to wait and see, but The Community alone is worth playing this game.