Solo pvp builds that can rival the flexibility and viability of warbows.

• Kurashi wrote:

I'm surprised no on is using Claymore with W (Hamstring) Slows by like 40% for 10 + seconds with a CD of 10 seconds. Which combats Speed Shot and evens the playing field with Frost Shot. Plus Claymore can have the E root, PLUS up to 30% movement speed boost from Q. All from the one weapon. What's interesting is for awhile every one talked about how much "bows suck". Now people seem to realize they don't suck, and before long every one will cry OP. Hopefully not :P.
    Hamstring seems solid to dismount horses, and claymores have better damage then double bladed staff.

It worths a shot, especially after hector when getting Hamstring will be much easier.
    The problem of getting out dpsed by other weapons and not being able to kite and apply pressure persists though.

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying bows are op or anything. It is just very suitable for solo roaming and I am trying to achieve similar functionality without using bows.
  • I think with Hector there'll be new options. Especially spears seem to be very competitive against bows then. The new Cripple just denies the bow users movement abilities by taking them away. Plus perma slows on the spear side. New Inner Focus seems also viable enough. With spears there are also many possibilities like Pike for a root, Glaive for pulling him back (Spirithunter as well) or even a Heron Spear for that nasty stun. Leather Helmet will deal with slows by using Cleanse, Ambush for repositioning or getting closer, maybe Mercenary Jacket will become also viable, because it's selfhealing is buffed. I can see a fair chance here :)

Other than that, a bow user actually only fears other ranged classes that can outdamage him. Of course, melee weapons could outdamage the warbow... but you need to get into range long enough to do so. And here's the problem. Bows are in no way OP, but very viable for several reasons. Warbow is good for solo ganking, simple bow and Whispering Bow for group action, even Longbow is very viable. I remember when nobody wanted to play bows and now even in GvGs they are one of the best dps weapons :D Isn't that funny?

Let's see what Hector brings us. Other than that, just wield a bow yourself ;)
  • Erythaijs wrote:

I think with Hector there'll be new options. Especially spears seem to be very competitive against bows then. The new Cripple just denies the bow users movement abilities by taking them away. Plus perma slows on the spear side. New Inner Focus seems also viable enough. With spears there are also many possibilities like Pike for a root, Glaive for pulling him back (Spirithunter as well) or even a Heron Spear for that nasty stun. Leather Helmet will deal with slows by using Cleanse, Ambush for repositioning or getting closer, maybe Mercenary Jacket will become also viable, because it's selfhealing is buffed. I can see a fair chance here :)

Other than that, a bow user actually only fears other ranged classes that can outdamage him. Of course, melee weapons could outdamage the warbow... but you need to get into range long enough to do so. And here's the problem. Bows are in no way OP, but very viable for several reasons. Warbow is good for solo ganking, simple bow and Whispering Bow for group action, even Longbow is very viable. I remember when nobody wanted to play bows and now even in GvGs they are one of the best dps weapons :D Isn't that funny?

Let's see what Hector brings us. Other than that, just wield a bow yourself ;)
    Yeah seems to be the only choice for the moment.

I am hyped for the hector and spears also. I guess we will see if they will be as viable as bows for chasing, running and killing at the same time:D

Again, I am not saying bows are op or don't want to see them nerfed at all. They are just very good for solo roaming, and I am hoping we can get the same with at least a few more weapons:)
  • Dismounting horses is doable with doube bladed staff, however you need to take stun run for W. Stuns get greatly reduced on players with cc resistence and you are giving up from your already low damage.

Then after you take down the horse, if the opponent decides to turn back and fight, any half decent dps builds takes you down with ease. Hence the greatest weakness of the double bladed staff according to me.
  • Amakor wrote:

Dismounting horses is doable with doube bladed staff, however you need to take stun run for W. Stuns get greatly reduced on players with cc resistence and you are giving up from your already low damage.

Then after you take down the horse, if the opponent decides to turn back and fight, any half decent dps builds takes you down with ease. Hence the greatest weakness of the double bladed staff according to me.
    I am acutally not sure about that, because it does not matter if you are not doing damage because you are kited by a warbow or if you are stunned by a DoubleBladed - both do not have the greatest damage, but have a good chance to win because of you not doing any while kited/stunned. But you are right better pack some cleanse on your hood too ...
  • Skitted wrote:

Amakor wrote:

Dismounting horses is doable with doube bladed staff, however you need to take stun run for W. Stuns get greatly reduced on players with cc resistence and you are giving up from your already low damage.

I am acutally not sure about that, because it does not matter if you are not doing damage because you are kited by a warbow or if you are stunned by a DoubleBladed - both do not have the greatest damage, but have a good chance to win because of you not doing any while kited/stunned. But you are right better pack some cleanse on your hood too ...
    The difference imo is that a warbow can kite you nearly all the time, while stun durations are very short against the players and you have to be in their faces to do damage of course.

I tried to compansate for that using mage cowl and druid robes. Damage wasn't so bad but still wasn't enough. Druid robes didn't work as well as I hoped for because I didn't have any ability to utilize the stacked damage increase properly.

Now I am considering stalker chest. Since double bladed staves are very good to stick, keeping people in the stalker chest's range shouldn't be a problem.
  • Kurashi wrote:

Spears will definitely make a come back after Hector in the open world. Inner Focus halts you for a second, but after that, you're much quicker. With the almost constant movement speed. One could easily dodge a War Bow E :D
    Yeah, I am dying to try lol. It will deffinitely be viable to counter warbow, and it will also be good for chasing and running imo. But would it be enough to dismount horses I wonder.
  • confirmed WarBow OP :)

albiononline.com/en/killboard/kill/2082916

well good thing I tested this in Beta... 2 takeaways:

1) He was able to keep up speed wise with the Ox all the way through a red zone unmounted (Im assuming due to speed shot), last beta I had 2 ppl who tried to gank me on a t7 Ox and they could not keep up (they were melees tho)
    2) You are not able to double-dash while encumbered (to the point of being immobile) (Dash + Lunging strikes on the Bloodletter) which is what ultimately killed me, as I did like 4 dashes and 1 Lunging while standing still and my character just stood there and took the bow damage. I was like 2 screens away from the guards and Carleon entrance...

I initially reported this ingame as a bug (not being able to double dash while fully encumbered) but I suppose this is what the Gigantify potions will help with once Hector comes...

GG
  • Nothing even comes remotely close to warbows. Bows are the only weapon that can kite, therefore they automatically hard-counter any/every melee build. Even a blood letter can't stick to warbow and they have 2 movement speed abilities.

All that's left are magic staves, which can out-damage warbows -- however they have 0 movement speed abilities so warbows still beat them out.

The only thing that can beat a warbow is another warbow, that's why open world PVP is nothing but warbows right now.
  • I guess Greathammer really is the best kept secret since no one mentioned it. With great hammer you get 2 dashes (1 with a slow attached, 1 with a stun attached), and you get a permaslow in the q.

The thing about bows is that the majority of the damage (aside from warbows E), actually comes from stacking Q poison on the target. That's what gives bows their constant DPS output since their autoattack damage is terrible. So, you either have to burst them, which has already been discussed, or you have to stick to them and output slightly more damage.

I think the Greathammer is the best weapon in the game to sticking to a target, with the Claymore and the Double Bladed Staff being almost as effective. The problem then becomes being able to out dps them with a greathammer so you can kill them before they kill you. Fury on the Soldier's plate can help with that, if you can generate enough stacks to lengthen your CC and increase your damage then it's fairly easy to take a Warbow out since it makes you bursty for a limited time. However, you pretty much have to run Heavy Smash on your w to outdps your oppenent, which gives up one of your dashes.

The other problem I haven't seen anyone mention yet is the Assassin's chest Warbow users usually run for the invisibility. Invisibility is actually a huge strength in an open world pvp battle since it allows you to pull mobs and then go invis to reset the aggro onto whoever you're fighting. Pulling aggro while running around in an open world pvp battle is fairly common, thus If your opponent doesn't have an invis spell themselves when you set aggro onto them, it's a pretty easy win.

Let me know your thoughts.

Pesmerga
  • Amakor wrote:

With a warbow and a decent build that goes with it, you can chase people, drop horses, run away, kite decently etc. while also applying great pressure.
    In my opinion the best way to counter a bow is with the spear line, specially the pike (100/100 pike here), tough glaive or heron can do the trick too.
    3 charges of spirit spears, Rush from hunter boots, poisons pot, Rooting Smash and a forest of spear for these annoying mofos and it's good night. You can add a Hunter helm for the retaliate that will most likely finish them off after initial burst, or a hellion helm one to finish them off with auto-attacks.

Inner focus seems to come back too but I find it incredibly mana expensive. While you're rooted with their W, you might as well spend the time channeling that skill for another burst if you're more into auto-attack builds. The speed boost, damage, and CC duration is always good against them.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Skolven ().

• Skolven wrote:

In my opinion the best way to counter a bow is with the spear line, specially the pike (100/100 pike here), tough glaive or heron can do the trick too.
    3 charges of spirit spears, Rush from hunter boots, poisons pot, Rooting Smash and a forest of spear for these annoying mofos and it's good night. You can add a Hunter helm for the retaliate that will most likely finish them off after initial burst, or a hellion helm one to finish them off with auto-attacks.
    This thread was made before the official release of the game and a lot of balancing changes were made during this time.

I'm closing this thread as it is severely outdated. If you wish to discuss solo builds, please feel free to open a new thread.